Save Our Services Update
The Council have postponed taking a decision on the privitisation of Integrated Facilities Management and Corporate and Transactional Services contracts from 22nd December 2011 to 19th January 2012.
They say the new date will provide additional time for elected members to consider the business cases but when will they tell the public?
Come to the public meeting as it is still very important to let our elected members know what we think.
Tuesday 13th December at Meadowbank Arts Centre (St. Margaret’s House, 151 London Road, just along from Meadowbank stadium) 7pm.
- Coca-Cola blasted for 'highly unsustainable' water use in India November 21, 2014Government authorities have declared that Coca-Cola is 'over-exploiting' the groundwater around its controversial bottling factory in Mehdiganj, Northern India.
- SC Johnson ahead of time with energy and waste reduction November 21, 2014Household cleaning firm SC Johnson has beaten two of its 2016 targets, having reduced carbon emissions by 50.5% and waste by 71% across its global manufacturing sites since 2000.
- Palm oil protestors force Pepsi True off Amazon November 21, 2014Pepsi True was temporarily removed from Amazon last night after environmentalists left thousands of bad reviews because of PepsiCo's palm oil policies which "encourage deforestation and modern slavery".
- Unilever to source only sustainable palm oil for European Foods November 20, 2014By 2020, 'the palm oil market will be transformed and the entire industry will move to 100% sustainable palm oil'.
- UN report sets out carbon 'budget' November 20, 2014A UN report says the world needs to stick to a carbon budget whereby humanity peaks emissions in the next ten years, halves them by 2050 and achieves carbon neutrality by 'mid-to-late century' in order to achieve a 2C world.
- Amazon makes long-term renewable energy pledge November 20, 2014Amazon has pledged to achieve 100% renewable energy usage, after criticism from Greenpeace for being 'stuck in a dirty energy past'.
- The week in wildlife – in pictures November 21, 2014The best of this week’s images from the natural world include grazing giraffes, a jumping spider and a particularly nimble elephant Continue reading...Eric Hilaire
- Toyota hopes to recreate Prius success with hydrogen-powered Mirai November 21, 2014Toyota is betting on its hydrogen fuel cell Mirai as the next generation of green car, but they face a hard sell to replicate popularity of their top-selling Prius From the driver’s seat of the Toyota Mirai, the world’s first mass-produced hydrogen fuel cell car could be a plusher and more powerful version of the Prius – if it wasn’t for the H20 button on th […]Suzanne Goldenberg in Newport Beach, California
- EU wants stiff penalties and wiretaps to fight environmental crime November 21, 2014Light punishment of Norfolk buzzard poisoner will not dissuade offenders or help enforcement efforts, says head of EU environmental crimes unit Lenient penalties for environment crimes, such as the suspended sentence handed down to a former gamekeeper who poisoned buzzards, hamper law enforcement and obstruct police efforts to get authorisation for vital wir […]Arthur Neslen
- Polar code agreed to prevent Arctic environmental disasters November 21, 2014International Maritime Organisation committee adopts measures to protect the environment in face of predicted polar shipping rushIcebreaker captain: ‘if you come to grief, you’re up there alone’The international body in charge of sea safety adopted measures on Friday to protect people and the environment during a predicted shipping rush in the Arctic. But en […]Karl Mathiesen
- We need a new law to protect our wildlife from critical decline November 21, 2014The Nature and Wellbeing Act could do for the natural world what the Climate Change Act did for curbing emissions – provide a crucial safeguard against attacks by industries and corporate politicians on environmental regulationsOne of the fears of those who seek to defend the natural world is that people won’t act until it is too late. Only when disasters st […]George Monbiot
- Is a ban on GM crops more harmful than growing them? November 20, 2014UK’s chief scientist has said GM crops could provide plentiful food with less damage to the environment and at lower costs. But does that mean we should grow them? Karl Mathiesen investigates.Let us know your thoughts. Post in the comments below, email email@example.com or tweet @karlmathiesenThe EU’s de facto ban on genetically modifi […]Karl Mathiesen
- Better Banks January 23, 2013Short title: Better Banks We're on our way to a better financial system. Find out how you can help us make better banks. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- The students are back in townYesterday's student demo (Wednesday 19 November) saw up to 10,000 people on the streets of central London (organisers' estimate), some scuffles with the cops at Parliament Square, and breakaway groups targeting the Business ministry and a few other venues. Earlier, the NUS head office got a new paint job with "Scabs" scrawled across the w […]
- The Anti KFA McCarthyite Witchunt in the UK -the real denial of human rights !Whilst criticising the Democratic People's Republic of Korea over fictional "human rights " violations the media and establishment in Western countries have launched a McCarthyite campaign of blacklisting and persecution of pro DPRK activists
- MFE Failure AnniversaryToday is the anniversary of the March For England 2013 failure to turn up in Brighton on their 'revenge march.' Yet another embarrassment for MFE and their bullshit rhetoric.
- Call-out for support for fracking resisters: Thu 20 Nov in Manchester & WrexhamPapers have been lodged in the High Court by the landowner against 'persons unknown' at the Borras Community Protection Camp in Wrexham seeking possession of the currently occupied site of the proposed GP/Dart/IGas test drill. Support is requested in the morning (Thu 20 Nov) at the court hearing in Manchester and at the camp near Wrexham. Full deta […]
- The ABC of Media Power - Des Freeman and John PilgerQ&A on the ABC of Media Power with John Pilger and Des Freedman to launch 'The Contradictions of Media Power' held at Goldsmiths on 18th November 2014.
- Press release: Weeding out non-native invasive species in Cambridgeshire November 21, 2014Maintenance teams are more than half way through a 6-week programme, removing the invasive non-native species (INNS) to try to stop it spreading further. Using floating weed harvesters and lifters, the Environment Agency teams have removed more than 1000 tonnes of wet cut invasive weed, while another team followed up behind, hand removing and spraying the sm […]
- Press release: Norfolk company fined almost £1 per illegal tonne November 21, 2014Norwich Crown Court also ordered the company to pay full Environment Agency costs of £4,718. Mrs Anne-Lise McDonald, prosecuting for the Agency, said offences came to light when a member of the public complained that soil contaminated with plastics, insulation foam, metals, cables and household waste had been deposited on fields off West Dereham Road near Wr […]
- Press release: Residents and businesses invited to Forge Mill Farm drop-in November 18, 2014The drop-in will be held on Tuesday 2 December 2014 from 10am to 4pm at Forge Mill Farm Shop, Forge Lane, West Bromwich, B71 3SZ. Environment Agency staff will be on hand to provide information about the proposals for the scheme. The proposals include an increase in storage capacity at the existing Forge Mill flood storage area in Sandwell Valley. This will […]
- Press release: Construction permit variations for proposed Hinkley Point C power station November 17, 2014This permit had been originally issued in February 2012. The Environment Agency received the application for an environmental permit variation from NNB Generation Company Limited, a subsidiary of EDF Energy. The company have 3 environmental permits that were issued by the Environment Agency in March 2013 to operate the proposed nuclear power station on the N […]
- Press release: New ARC-Boat to help Shropshire prepare for flooding November 17, 2014Environment Agency Water Resources teams were involved at the development stage of the boats and following initial operational success, staff quickly identified its ability to assist in the flood monitoring process. In Shropshire, this boat will be used to measure flows at the Severn/Vyrnwy confluence to improve flood warning models. During times of high riv […]
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/QOebj6hQMBs?a 2012 Rat Rod Tour FOUR THOUSAND MILES OF RUST 1 day ago
- Why is Saudi Arabia so keen on energy efficiency - and what it's doing about it? wp.me/pPEwS-2mx 5 days ago
- Researchers develop concrete made from plastic waste wp.me/pPEwS-2mv 5 days ago
- RT @Recycleopedia: "Guilt-free fashion" from Dutch company behind "completely recyclable" jeans leasing concept.. @mudjeansNL http://t.co/K… 1 week ago
- RT @TreeHugger: Each week, the world loses an area larger than Manhattan to salt degradation ow.ly/E7jTy 1 week ago
- Factory Farming wp.me/pPEwS-2mt 1 week ago
- Carbon Pollution wp.me/pPEwS-2mr 1 week ago
- RT @LeeHillerLondon: Orca Freedom #boycottseaworld #loveallbeings #Orca #vegan #animalrights #love #freedom #blackfish http://t.co/r1pou9G3… 1 week ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- 2014 National Soil Science Conference November 23, 2014 – November 28, 2014 Melbourne, Australia
- IRLA2014 - The Effects of Irrigation and Drainage on Rural and Urb an Landscapes November 26, 2014 – November 29, 2014 Patra, Greece
- EGU Topical meeting: Validation in Flood Risk Modelling December 9, 2014 – December 11, 2014 Delft, The Netherlands
- International workshop on polar-lower latitude linkages and their role in weather and climate prediction December 10, 2014 – December 13, 2014 Barcelona, Spain
- Thermodynamic modeling with alphaMELTS and other MELTS software December 11, 2014 – December 15, 2014 Pasadena, CA, USA
- UNFCCC COP-20 December 1, 2014 at 9:00 am – December 12, 2014 at 6:00 pm , Lima, Peru
- Arctic Biodiversity Congress December 2, 2014 at 12:00 am – December 4, 2014 at 12:00 am , Trondheim, Norway
- SPE HSSE-SR: Beyond Conventional Oil & Gas: New Social Opportunities and n Risks Workshop December 2, 2014 at 9:00 am – December 3, 2014 at 5:00 pm The Rimrock Resort Hotel, Banff, Alberta, Canada
- 2014 Climate and Health Summit December 6, 2014 at 8:00 am – 5:00 pm Swissotel Lima, Miraflores, Lima 27, Peru
- Transport Day 2014 December 7, 2014 at 8:30 am – 7:00 pm Sheraton Hotel, Lima, Peru
- CSR Asia Extractive Forum December 10, 2014 at 8:30 am – 6:00 pm , Singapore, Singapore