Save Our Services Update
The Council have postponed taking a decision on the privitisation of Integrated Facilities Management and Corporate and Transactional Services contracts from 22nd December 2011 to 19th January 2012.
They say the new date will provide additional time for elected members to consider the business cases but when will they tell the public?
Come to the public meeting as it is still very important to let our elected members know what we think.
Tuesday 13th December at Meadowbank Arts Centre (St. Margaret’s House, 151 London Road, just along from Meadowbank stadium) 7pm.
- Planned dams to double hydropower output October 24, 2014An unprecedented boom in hydropower dam construction is underway, with 3,700 major dams expected to be built in the next twenty years, doubling hydropower electric capacity to 1,700 GW.
- Report: Insurance firms vulnerable to escalating climate risk October 23, 2014A vast majority of the world's major insurance companies are ill-prepared to deal with the increasing risks of climate change, despite facing massive pay-outs if floods, droughts and other extreme weather conditions continue.
- Top universities publish guide to 'forge path to sustainable future' October 22, 2014Oxford and Cambridge are among 10 of the world's top universities to have published the 'Green Guide for Universities', helping universities worldwide become more sustainable.
- Global wind power to hit 2000GW by 2030 October 21, 2014The UK's recent surge in wind power output appears to be reflective of a global trend, with new analysis estimating that global wind-generated energy could supply up to 20% of the world's electricity by 2030.
- Good, better, best: Whole Foods launches rating system for environmental impact of produce October 17, 2014Whole Foods Market has introduced the Responsibly Grown produce rating system which assesses the impact of farming practices on the environment and human health.
- FCC Environmental US division sold for €70m October 17, 2014Leading waste management firm FCC Environmental has today (17 October) announced it is selling its division in the US to cleaning and waste management firm Heritage-Crystal Clean.
- EU leaders agree to cut greenhouse gas emissions by 40% by 2030 October 24, 2014Climate commissioner hails strong signal ahead of global Paris summit but key aspects of deal left vague or voluntary Continue reading...Arthur Neslen in Brussels
- Google Streetview gives glimpse of the world of Jane Goodall's chimpanzees October 23, 2014A sneak peek into the Gombe national park in Tanzania reveals thick forest, tall waterfalls and chimps in treetops feasting on flies Continue reading...Adam Vaughan
- Why my son rides a balance bike October 24, 2014I dont want my son to learn bad cycling habits stabilisers give false sense of security and encourage over-leaning Continue reading...Victoria Hazael
- Fossil fuel divestment campaign targets UCL and BHP Billiton October 23, 2014University College London under fire for sustainability institute funded by mining giant BHP Billiton, which faces protests at its London AGM Continue reading...Damian Carrington
- Indias largest dam given clearance but still faces flood of opposition October 22, 2014The 3,000MW Dibang dam, rejected twice as it would submerge vast tracts of biologically rich forests, is to get environmental clearance but huge local opposition could stall the project Continue reading...Janaki Lenin
- Pro-GM labelling campaign hugely outspent in Colorado and Oregon ballot October 24, 2014Industry giants are spending more than $25m to defeat campaigns for mandatory GM food labelling in the two states, in the runup to next months vote Continue reading...Suzanne Goldenberg
- Better Banks January 23, 2013Short title: Better Banks We're on our way to a better financial system. Find out how you can help us make better banks. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Implenting the eugenics (Nazi) 'Opening Minds' school curriculum globallyHow the new school curriculum goes global. Devised by the Royal Society of the Arts.
- Global Rally Against ISIS, For Kobane & For Humanity : Nov 1st 2014A Global Rally against ISIS, For Kobane & For Humanity is being urged for November 1st, 2014. Please note that this is not a call for some kind of reactionary anti-Muslim, anti-Islam rally so please don't just dismiss it as being so and take a careful read of the following text including the signatories to this urgent call that include Noam Chomsky […]
- Unite and Oppose the Racist Welsh Alliance in Cardiff on the 25th OctoberMeet at11:45 on the Green in front of Cardiff Castle opposite the Rummer Tavern CF10 1AY
- Wide angle on CalaisThere are over 2000 migrant people in Calais and their number is rising, more people than in 2009 but there are more women and children . There is not even water, enough tents or sufficient food. Police violence aganst those trying to cross has escalated to appalling levels.
- Mass callout everyone to Parliament Square this Friday!Defend the right to protest. This is a mass callout for everyone to gather at Parliament Square this Friday at 5pm to defend the right to protest. Over the past few days occupy protesters have been harassed, arrested and attacked by police! So be there this Friday from 5pm and on Saturday too the last day of the protest to show the authorities that we will n […]
- Gun lobby under fire September 7, 1912The gun lobby has today suffered a serious body blow with the publication of two scientifically robust reports that, on the one hand, demolishes claims that ‘sport shooting’ is immensely valuable to the UK economy and, on the other, accuses...
- One-In-Eight British Adults Is Veggie September 7, 1912A survey conducted by Mintel has found that one-in-eight British adults has ditched meat and fish, with that number rising to one-in-five for younger people aged 16-24. The research found that millions more people have also reduced their meat consumpti...
- Government figures on mis-stunning in UK slaughterhouses 'more than 99.99 per cent inaccurate' September 7, 1917Animal Aid says Defra is misleading Parliament and the public with ‘wildly, out-of-the-ball-park, embarrassingly inaccurate’ information When Neil Parish MP was given the government’s official recorded stati...
- Exeter's cruelty-free Christmas extravaganza returns September 7, 1920South West’s first Green MEP to be special guest South West Christmas Without Cruelty Festival 2014 – Saturday 22 November Exeter Corn Exchange Market Street, Exeter, EX1 1BU 10am-4.15pm FREE...
- Charity's attempt to distance itself from cruel animal experiments backfires September 7, 1924The British Heart Foundation’s (BHF) attempt to distance itself from some of the cruel animal experiments uncovered by Animal Aid as part of its Victims of Charity campaign has triggered a major new exposé. This reveals a catalogu...
- RT @taiji_ladm: LONDON AGAINST DOLPHIN MASSACRE NOV 7TH FOR THE BIGGEST PROTEST YET. PLS RT! facebook.com/events/1545547… @Sam10k @OrcaSOS http:… 1 week ago
- RT @SaveAnimalLives: Animal Testing: Why is human mankind doing such a nonsence? It is proven to be useless: tinyurl.com/bglfrzy 1 week ago
- Cages wp.me/pPEwS-2lt 1 week ago
- RT @Gifswd: مبدع 👍 pic.twitter.com/j20BGPK1xV 1 week ago
- Nestle monopoly of plants wp.me/pPEwS-2lr 1 week ago
- Lion Ark secures global distribution wp.me/pPEwS-2lp 1 week ago
- New rabbit investigation: help End the Cage Age wp.me/pPEwS-2l9 1 week ago
- NY Times on horse racing and bear hunting wp.me/pPEwS-2l7 1 week ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- Réunion des Sciences de la Terre (Earth Sciences Meeting) October 27, 2014 – November 1, 2014 Pau, France
- ESA-SOLAS-EGU "Earth Observation for Ocean-Atmosphere Interactions Science 2014 - Responding to the new scientific challenges of SOLAS" October 28, 2014 – November 1, 2014 Frascati, Italy
- Training school "Earthquakes: nucleation, triggering, and relati onship with aseismic prcesses" November 3, 2014 – November 11, 2014 Cargèse, Corsica
- Lithosphere 2014 Symposium November 4, 2014 – November 7, 2014 Turku / Åbo, Finland
- DPS 2014 - 46th Annual Meeting November 9, 2014 – November 15, 2014 Tucson, USA
- 40th Session of the IPCC October 27, 2014 at 12:00 am – October 31, 2014 at 12:00 am , Copenhagen, Denmark
- 10th Annual HSE Forum in Energy November 3, 2014 at 9:00 am – November 5, 2014 at 5:00 pm , Doha, Qatar
- IUCN World Parks Congress November 12, 2014 at 12:00 am – November 19, 2014 at 12:00 am , Sydney, Australia
- G20 Leaders Summit November 15, 2014 at 12:00 am – 12:00 am Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre, Brisbane, Australia
- UNFCCC COP-20 December 1, 2014 at 9:00 am – December 12, 2014 at 6:00 pm , Lima, Peru
- Third United Nations Forum on Business and Human Rights December 1, 2014 at 9:00 am – December 3, 2014 at 5:00 pm Palais des Nations, Geneva, Switzerland