Locking Cats Up Without Food or Water is NOT a Solution
Some Belarus cities have a rat problem, but the solution they came up with to deal with it is unbelievably cruel. Authorities lock cats in basements — no food, no water — to deal with the rats.
Local citizens have reported hearing disturbing cries of thirst and hunger from the cats, and some have been admitted to feeding the poor animals through the iron plates used to seal them into the basements. Without kind samaritans, officials are simply condemning the cats to a long, slow, painful death from starvation and dehydration.
An animal rights leader estimates that 9,000 cats have been killed in Minsk alone in the last three years. This widespread practice needs to stop before we lose another 9,000.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
- Before and after overfishingWhat do emptier waters look like? This web aquarium shows declining fish populations over the past 100 years - and it uses more than 200 datasets to do itMona Chalabi
- Sweet chestnut blight – the latest threatThe government is hoping to protect the UK's trees from the many life-threatening diseases and insects that are making their way into Britain. But is there really anything we can do?Hot on the heels of ash dieback, it seems that sweet chestnuts are now under threat. This week, the UK government announced that it was to ban imports of sweet chestnut sapl […]
- DR Congo waits on funding for Grand IngaComplete set of Grand Inga dams on the Congo River would generate a massive 40,000MW of electricityThe dream of harnessing the mighty Congo with the world's largest set of dams has moved closer, with the World Bank and other financial institutions expected to offer finance and South Africa agreeing to buy half of the power generated.In the past 60 years […]
- Matt Ridley has joined the real climate debateThe climate sceptic's interpretation of my study as final endorsement of his position means we can move onIt isn't often, as a climate scientist, that you find your research being enthusiastically endorsed by climate sceptic Matt Ridley in the Times. We published a paper in the journal Nature Geoscience on Sunday giving a new best estimate of 1.3C […]
- Sweeping across south-east AsiaIllegal logging and unchecked economic development are taking a devastating toll on forestsIn 1968, during the six-month siege of Khe Sanh — one of the most bitterly fought battles of the Vietnam War — a special U.S. Air Force outfit flew defoliation missions. Called the Ranch Handers, their motto was: "Only you can prevent a forest."They may not h […]
- Most UK species in decline, wildlife stocktake showsThe unprecedented analysis shows that many animals, birds, insects, fish and plants are in troubleAn unprecedented stocktake of UK wildlife has revealed that most species are struggling and that one in three have halved in number in the past half century. The unique report, based on scientific analysis of tens of millions of observations from volunteers, sho […]
- Events: Fife Diet screening of 'Do the Math'Location: The Music Institute at Carnegie Hall East Port, Dunfermline Date: 5 June 2013 - 7:30pm - 9:30pm Map link: http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=East%20Port,%20Dunfermline%2C%20KY12%207JA%2C%20United%20Kingdom Join the global grassroots movement 350.org in a viewing the short film, Do the Math, about the rising movement in the United States to change […]
- News: Coalbed methane and fracking 'unregulatable' says toxins expertInternationally acclaimed toxins experts Dr Mariann Lloyd-Smith will tomorrow (21 May) tell the Scottish Parliament that the environmental and health impacts of unconventional gas extraction are impossible to regulate safely. Dr Lloyd-Smith arrives in Scotland as news emerges that Dart Energy have stopped drilling at their flagship project in Airth, followin […]
- News: Protestors Outside Cairn Energy's AGM todayFriends of the Earth Scotland Press ReleaseENVIRONMENTALISTS PROTEST AT CAIRN ENERGY'S AGM TODAY IN EDINBURGHFREE HIGH RES PICTURES: http://www.flickr.com/photos/friendsoftheearthscotland/sets/721576335094...Activists from Friends of the Earth Scotland gathered today (16 May) outside Cairn Energy's AGM in Edinburgh, dressed as cowboys to highlight […]
- News: Campaigners blow up a mountain outside RBS AGMFriends of the Earth ScotlandFor immediate releaseFREE PICTURES: http://www.flickr.com/photos/friendsoftheearthscotland/8737490275/RBS Mountaintop Removal Protest at RBS Bank headquarters AGM, Edinburgh, 14/05/2013:Friends of the Earth Scotland demonstrators protest outside the RBS AGM, held at Gogarburn, the bank's global headquarters.Pictured are Frie […]
- Resources: Mountaintop Removal in Appalachia, West Virginia: Case StudyMountaintop Removal causes huge environmental destruction, dramatically alters landscapes and is linked to serious local health impacts. It involves literally blasting the tops off mountains to access thin layers of coal embedded in rock. Unsurprisingly, this is a highly controversial process in the USA where the technique has been pioneered. What's les […]
- Tornado Over A Mile Wide And 200 MPH Hit Moore Oklahoma In USTornado Alley in the US is a group of states with extensive cattle operations and virtually no trees.
- War for Oil takes a Weird TurnIt gave an impression of Russian roulette at the pump – when the Brussels regime raided offices of European oil corporations last week there was no mentioning of the deadly bullet that could bring about the liquidation of these fossil legacies from the most ruthless decades of industrialisation. That smoking gun would be the notorious “Bhopal of the seabed”, […]
- Crisis of Civilization Podcast#3 Sibel Edmond: the most gagged person in the USAFBI whistle-blower Sibel Edmonds was described as “the most gagged person in the history of the United States” by the American Civil Liberties Union. This week, Nafeez mosaddeq Ahmed released an article about her story which has gone viral. You can read the article "Why was a Sunday Times report on US government ties to al-Qaeda chief spiked?" here […]
- Fascist freindly shop opens in Brum"For now we're going to try and be nice" - please contact the shop and shopping centre - details in article.
- Leeds No Borders public meetingLeeds No Borders & Movement for Justice are holding a public hearing on the UKBA's murder of Jackie Nanyonjo, with testimonies from asylum seekers, refugees and ex-detainees.
- AnimalRightsUK: RT @HuntSabs: Act still not working @huntingtim ? http://t.co/DpLwCaTpDOAnimalRightsUK: RT @HuntSabs: Act still not working @huntingtim ? http://t.co/DpLwCaTpDO
- AnimalRightsUK: @HuntingTim surprised you know what a March is, most CA supporters think it means a punch up with the cops.AnimalRightsUK: @HuntingTim surprised you know what a March is, most CA supporters think it means a punch up with the cops.
- AnimalRightsUK: Forthampton court who own 4% of the glos badger cull zone & who are under investigation for filling in badger... http://t.co/RLncyKJGMWAnimalRightsUK: Forthampton court who own 4% of the glos badger cull zone & who are under investigation for filling in badger... http://t.co/RLncyKJGMW
- AnimalRightsUK: poetry http://t.co/EuTBhLu98VAnimalRightsUK: poetry http://t.co/EuTBhLu98V
- Zippo's Circus protest: Beddington Park, Wallington, Croydon from 23-28 May wp.me/pPEwS-1Fz 7 hours ago
- Tell the soda giants @CocaCola, @PepsiCo, and @DrPepperSnapple to slash their oil use! causes.com/actions/175278… #tarsands via @causes 14 hours ago
- MASKED MONKEY'S OF INDONESIA causes.com/actions/174256… via @causes 15 hours ago
- Outlaw Bear Baiting in South Carolina! causes.com/causes/40328-e… via @causes 15 hours ago
- Help stop animal abuse by tweeting at Stephen Colbert about bear-baiting in his home state of South... causes.com/causes/40328-e… via @causes 15 hours ago
- Pups thrown from the car and left on an empty lot causes.com/actions/175290… via @causes 1 day ago
- Petition to make animal abuse a more serious offense! causes.com/causes/809462-… via @causes 1 day ago
- Against for selling Chinese goods and fur causes.com/actions/170322… via @causes 1 day ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
- Shadows on the Wall May 25, 2013 at 7:30 pm – 8:30 pm The Old Fire Station
- Shadows on the Wall May 27, 2013 at 4:30 pm – 5:30 pm The Old Fire Station
- Oxcred - A new digital currency for Oxford May 29, 2013 at 6:30 pm OARC http://theoarc.org.uk/
- Shadows on the Wall June 7, 2013 at 4:30 pm – 4:30 pm The Old Fire Station
No upcoming events