Experts concerned after Bald Eagle poisoned
Originally posted on KFOR.com:
[ooyala code="E0MnJiYTqEYv5wPxFn98ylrRKDRzgwVX" player_id="df513009265e4427aaf5f0342a75c90e"]
NOBLE, Okla. – A bald eagle was poisoned earlier this month despite efforts of rescue workers to save it.
The poisoning of our national emblem is not a good sign for the safety of Oklahomans.
Rhondi Large said she makes it her mission to help heal animals struggling to survive.
When the bald eagle was brought to WildCare for treatment, Large knew right away something was very wrong.
“She just didn’t have the fight,” Large said. “She didn’t have the spunk, the fire, that normally they would have.”
Despite everything Large and her team could do, a few days later the bird died.
The cause? High levels of lead and rat poison.
“She was just way too toxic for us to be able to pull through,” she said.
This poisoning isn’t just a problem for animals, it’s a big problem for people as well.
Because animals often…
View original 206 more words
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Species named after Sir David Attenborough - in pictures July 31, 2014A 20 million-year-old grasshopper trapped in amber is the latest species to be named after the natural history broadcaster. From spiders to shrimps, here are some other species carrying his name Continue reading...Guardian Staff
- How much illegal timber gets into the UK? July 31, 2014Are UK consumers still buying protected rainforest timbers? With your help, Karl Mathiesen investigates how much contraband timber finds its way into the country.Let us know your thoughts. Post in the comments below, email email@example.com or tweet @karlmathiesen Continue reading...Karl Mathiesen
- Secret language of penguins decoded July 30, 2014Six distinctive calls made by African or 'jackass' penguins express the birds' ecstasy, love, hunger, anger and loneliness Continue reading...Nishad Karim
- Green groups too white and too male compared to other sectors report July 30, 2014Survey of 300 US environmental groups show lower percentage of jobs held by ethnic minorities than in science and engineering Continue reading...Suzanne Goldenberg
- Boris Johnson defends London's record on air pollution July 30, 2014Like comparing apples with cucumbers to put London in same category as capitals such as Beijing, mayors adviser says Continue reading...Fiona Harvey
- India puts GM crop trials on hold July 31, 2014BJP-led government gives in to demands from nationalist RSS to not surrender countrys food security to foreign companies Continue reading...Vaishnavi Chandrashekhar
- Volunteering opportunity: Sustainable Economy Volunteer June 6, 2014Volunteering opportunity: Sustainable Economy Volunteer FoES is leading a coalition of environmental organisations, trade unions and anti-poverty campaigns on an Enquiry About Sustainable Alternative Economic Policy. The first conference will take place on 11 September in Glasgow University. This post will support the event and the process, involving both or […]
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Western SummitPlease see illustration
- Reclaim the Fields Summer GatheringDon't miss the Reclaim the Fields Summer Gathering!
- War to end all wars? peace event Monday 4th August Bonn SquareA peace event to mark the centenary of the start of World War 1, linking that to today.
- Call-out for the Radical Bookfair Hamburg, 4-5 Oct 2014We are inviting people who are interested in having a table/stall (booksellers, publishers, zine distros, independent presses and political groups) or holding a workshop (current political issues, book talks, skill-shares, networking meetings etc.) to help create an exciting, interesting and forward-thinking event in Hamburg this autumn.
- New Evidence of hare coursing savageryLatest FOI reports from National Parks and Wildlife Service expose sickening truth about Ireland’s legal hare coursing…
- Animal Aid Shop Achieves High Rating in Ethical Consumer Survey June 7, 1913Animal Aid is proud to announce that our online shop has come third in an Ethical Consumer (EC) surv...
- Open letter regarding Cheltenham Racecourse June 7, 1913Animal Aid has today sent an open letter to horse racing’s regulatory and representative bodies, strongly criticising their decision to ignore an important report analysing the reasons why Cheltenham Racecourse kills more horses than any ...
- Culling badgers 'won't control bovine TB' June 7, 1914Computer modelling by the universities of Warwick and Cambridge has accurately reproduced the spread of bovine TB and the number of cases. Furthermore, the study, which has been published in Nature, has concluded that culling badgers will not ...
- Another increase in animal experiments: Government tries to airbrush GM animal suffering June 7, 1921The number of experiments conducted in British laboratories in 2013 was the highest in nearly 30 years, according to government statistics published today. The total of 4.12 million ‘procedures’ exceeded the 2012 figure by 11,600. The use o...
- Appeal for common sense from new Environment Minister June 7, 1926Owen Paterson’s time as Environment Minister was dominated by tribal allegiances to the farming and pro-hunting, pro-shooting countryside fraternity, which resulted in irrational and highly damaging policies, such as the disastrous badger cull. B...
- http://t.co/IRyapyZfjh 1 week ago
- Is This Polar Bear the World's Saddest Animal? takepart.com/article/2014/0… via @TakePart 1 week ago
- I'm giving away free Compact Camera @ bit.ly/1mWnFhs 1 week ago
- RT @BabyAnimals123: escaping with his new treasure http://t.co/ih0TCTTF0D 2 weeks ago
- RT @Eims4gsds: Dog who was tied to a fence perished in the heat examiner.com/article/dog-wh… via @examinercom 2 weeks ago
- RT @JulieStaffysi: Hunt for sick thug who hanged #dog by its lead and left it to die #Leeds bit.ly/1jyo36a 2 weeks ago
- RT @CoveMovie_OPS: What SeaWorld Doesn’t Want You to Know! The Scoop on Life After Captivity for Dolphins fb.me/1gEaYCEFI 2 weeks ago
- RT @theblackfishorg: Did you notice we launched new training courses? Check out which one is perfect for you! bit.ly/1rTszP8 http:/… 2 weeks ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- AOGS 11th Annual Meeting July 28, 2014 – August 2, 2014 Sapporo, Japan
- COSPAR General Assembly 2014 - COSMOS August 2, 2014 – August 11, 2014 Moscow, Russia
- Tephra 2014 - Maximizing the potential of tephra for multidiscipli nary science August 3, 2014 – August 8, 2014 Portland, Oregon, USA
- 3rd Young Earth Scientists Congress August 11, 2014 – August 15, 2014 Dar es Salam, Tanzania
- 25th Colloquium of African Geology (CAG25) August 14, 2014 – August 17, 2014 Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- ARPEL Workshop on Business and Human Rights August 6, 2014 at 8:00 am – August 7, 2014 at 4:00 pm , Río de Janeiro,, Brazil
- World Water Week 2014 August 30, 2014 at 11:00 pm – September 4, 2014 at 11:00 pm Stockholmsmässan, Stockholm, Sweden
- Seminar on oil spill response science and technology September 2, 2014 at 7:30 am – September 3, 2014 at 5:30 pm , Yantai, China
- Training course for level 1 commanders of oil spill response September 4, 2014 at 7:00 am – September 5, 2014 at 5:00 pm , Yantai, China
- The SPE African HSE Conference and Exhibition 2014 September 15, 2014 at 8:15 am – September 17, 2014 at 4:15 pm , Maputo, Mozambique
- African Regional Forum on Business and Human Rights September 16, 2014 at 8:00 am – September 18, 2014 at 4:00 pm , Addis Ababa, Ethiopia