Experts concerned after Bald Eagle poisoned
Originally posted on KFOR.com:
[ooyala code="E0MnJiYTqEYv5wPxFn98ylrRKDRzgwVX" player_id="df513009265e4427aaf5f0342a75c90e"]
NOBLE, Okla. – A bald eagle was poisoned earlier this month despite efforts of rescue workers to save it.
The poisoning of our national emblem is not a good sign for the safety of Oklahomans.
Rhondi Large said she makes it her mission to help heal animals struggling to survive.
When the bald eagle was brought to WildCare for treatment, Large knew right away something was very wrong.
“She just didn’t have the fight,” Large said. “She didn’t have the spunk, the fire, that normally they would have.”
Despite everything Large and her team could do, a few days later the bird died.
The cause? High levels of lead and rat poison.
“She was just way too toxic for us to be able to pull through,” she said.
This poisoning isn’t just a problem for animals, it’s a big problem for people as well.
Because animals often…
View original 206 more words
- Fashion giants pledge to end supply-chain deforestation October 30, 2014Levi Strauss, H&M and Asos, are among 25 major fashion brands representing more than £45bn in global sales that have committed to an industry campaign to eliminate deforestation from supply chains.
- EU sanctions to spark price rise in solar glass October 29, 2014Businesses looking to add solar installations should move fast, investor services firm IHS has warned, as EU duties on Chinese firms look set to inflate international prices of solar glass.
- VIDEO: Hotel giant eyes 25% energy reduction with green scheme rollout October 29, 2014InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) has announced that 'Green Engage' programme is being extended to incorporate the company's global estate of over 4,700 hotels.
- Global biopower capacity 'will double by 2025' October 29, 2014Global biopower installed capacity is set to increase from 87.6 Gigawatts (GW) in 2013 to 165.1GW by 2025 thanks to government support and environmental concerns.
- Clothing giant champions sustainable design with first CSR report October 28, 2014VF Corporation, the firm behind the North Face and Timberland clothing brands, has released its first Sustainability Report, setting new company-wide targets and detailing the green initiatives it plans to scale-up.
- Planned dams to double hydropower output October 24, 2014An unprecedented boom in hydropower dam construction is underway, with 3,700 major dams expected to be built in the next twenty years, doubling hydropower electric capacity to 1,700 GW.
- Regreening program to restore one-sixth of Ethiopia's land October 30, 2014Tree and shrub-planting program has transformed degraded and deforested land across Africa, with Ethiopia planning to restore a further 15m hectares by 2030 Continue reading...John Vidal
- Photographs of Sellafield nuclear plant prompt fears over radioactive risk October 29, 2014Nuclear safety expert claims there is significant risk due to poor condition of storage ponds containing highly radioactive fuel rods Continue reading...John Vidal and Rob Edwards
- Hundreds of birds of prey are being shot or poisoned in UK October 30, 2014RSPB calls on shooting industry to help stamp out problem as a report shows birds, including golden eagles, hen harriers and red kites were illegally killed last year Continue reading...Press Association
- Plant scientists urge Europe to stop blocking GM trials on political grounds October 30, 2014Politicians who ignore message cannot in future say they take science seriously, open letter says Continue reading...Stuart Clark
- Plans for giant Antarctic marine reserve falter for fourth time October 30, 2014Countries unlikely to reach consensus on plan to protect vast swath of ocean off Antarctica as CCAMLR meeting draws to a close Continue reading...Associated Press
- Flytipping up 20% in England after falling for years October 30, 2014Worrying increase in amount of rubbish illegally dumped on roadsides and back alleys cost local authorities £45m last year Continue reading...Adam Vaughan
- Better Banks January 23, 2013Short title: Better Banks We're on our way to a better financial system. Find out how you can help us make better banks. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- The fall of the Berlin WallNovember 9 marks the anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall. Since 1989, pictures of rejoicing people, hugging each other and dancing on top of the Wall after the opening of the border crossing, have been used as symbols for the collapse of the GDR (German Democratic Republic) and the other Stalinist regimes that had come to power in Eastern Europe after […]
- Cardiff squat violently evicted, people injured.Cops and private security beat three, one still in hospital
- Celebration of the Antifaschistischer SchutzwallAir Berlin is to mark the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall with three sightseeing flights over the city on the evening of November 8.
- DEATH DRONES ARE ARRIVING IN LLANBEDR - PROTESTProtest the use of Llanbedr airfield for drone testing - Noon 30 Oct
- Execution of "Occupy Democracy" and the Banality of EvilThe sense of duty trumped ethics in the state repression at Parliament Square
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- RT @CasualUltra_: Pyro from the St. Pauli fans vs. Borussia Dortmund tonight! #NoPyroNoParty http://t.co/ueNGAOUA1r 1 day ago
- RT @stopeatingcats: The #dogmeattrade needs to stop asap. Cruel #traditions should not be extended & encouraged-media outrage needed http:… 1 day ago
- RT @Animals1st: Warning about marshmallows laced with poison and filled with nails reaches millions thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/11564351.… http://t.co/7sf… 1 day ago
- RT @Freja_Petersen: Sleeping elephant woken up to be shot - Africa Geographic Blog shar.es/10fpex http://t.co/B6S1k8J6Y9 1 day ago
- RT @TelegraphNews: Tony Benn's inheritance tax dodge: how it works (and how you can use it too) fw.to/0Qh5BFY (Pic: Fearn/PA) http… 1 day ago
- I'm giving away free Vax vacuum cleaner @ bit.ly/1uVQ9aW 4 days ago
- RT @taiji_ladm: LONDON AGAINST DOLPHIN MASSACRE NOV 7TH FOR THE BIGGEST PROTEST YET. PLS RT! facebook.com/events/1545547… @Sam10k @OrcaSOS http:… 1 week ago
- RT @SaveAnimalLives: Animal Testing: Why is human mankind doing such a nonsence? It is proven to be useless: tinyurl.com/bglfrzy 1 week ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
- Lucy Ward in Concert with Jackie Oates & Megan Henwood November 3, 2014 at 8:00 pm http://www.nettlebedfolkclub.co.uk/index.html
Climate Change Events
- Réunion des Sciences de la Terre (Earth Sciences Meeting) October 27, 2014 – November 1, 2014 Pau, France
- ESA-SOLAS-EGU "Earth Observation for Ocean-Atmosphere Interactions Science 2014 - Responding to the new scientific challenges of SOLAS" October 28, 2014 – November 1, 2014 Frascati, Italy
- Training school "Earthquakes: nucleation, triggering, and relati onship with aseismic prcesses" November 3, 2014 – November 11, 2014 Cargèse, Corsica
- Lithosphere 2014 Symposium November 4, 2014 – November 7, 2014 Turku / Åbo, Finland
- DPS 2014 - 46th Annual Meeting November 9, 2014 – November 15, 2014 Tucson, USA
- 10th Annual HSE Forum in Energy November 3, 2014 at 9:00 am – November 5, 2014 at 5:00 pm , Doha, Qatar
- IUCN World Parks Congress November 12, 2014 at 12:00 am – November 19, 2014 at 12:00 am , Sydney, Australia
- G20 Leaders Summit November 15, 2014 at 12:00 am – 12:00 am Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre, Brisbane, Australia
- Third United Nations Forum on Business and Human Rights December 1, 2014 at 9:00 am – December 3, 2014 at 5:00 pm Palais des Nations, Geneva, Switzerland
- UNFCCC COP-20 December 1, 2014 at 9:00 am – December 12, 2014 at 6:00 pm , Lima, Peru
- Arctic Biodiversity Congress December 2, 2014 at 12:00 am – December 4, 2014 at 12:00 am , Trondheim, Norway