Experts concerned after Bald Eagle poisoned
Originally posted on KFOR.com:
[ooyala code="E0MnJiYTqEYv5wPxFn98ylrRKDRzgwVX" player_id="df513009265e4427aaf5f0342a75c90e"]
NOBLE, Okla. – A bald eagle was poisoned earlier this month despite efforts of rescue workers to save it.
The poisoning of our national emblem is not a good sign for the safety of Oklahomans.
Rhondi Large said she makes it her mission to help heal animals struggling to survive.
When the bald eagle was brought to WildCare for treatment, Large knew right away something was very wrong.
“She just didn’t have the fight,” Large said. “She didn’t have the spunk, the fire, that normally they would have.”
Despite everything Large and her team could do, a few days later the bird died.
The cause? High levels of lead and rat poison.
“She was just way too toxic for us to be able to pull through,” she said.
This poisoning isn’t just a problem for animals, it’s a big problem for people as well.
Because animals often…
View original 206 more words
- Renewable energy capacity grows at record levels August 29, 2014Wind, solar and hydro energy grew at its fastest ever pace last year, equating to almost 22% of global power generation, according to a new report from the International Energy Agency (IEA).
- Local collectives needed to prevent privatisation of water resources August 29, 2014Ahead of World Water Week 2014, new research has concluded that the world's water reserves will increasingly fail to meet demand over the coming years, leaving a third of the global population without adequate drinking water by 2025.
- Cotton supply chain urged to help reduce water footprint August 29, 2014More support is needed for smallholder cotton farmers in the developing world as they grapple with the effects of water scarcity which could put the global cotton industry at serious risk.
- Brewing a better future: Heineken highlights benefits of local sourcing August 28, 2014Dutch brewing company Heineken has stepped up its commitment to source the majority of its agricultural raw materials from Africa in a bid to boost crop yield and cash income for smallholder farms across the continent.
- Big power out, solar in: UBS urges investors to join renewables revolution August 28, 2014World's largest private bank predicts large-scale power stations will soon make way for electric cars and new solar technologies.
- Shifting biofuels goals could threaten industry development August 28, 2014US and EU moves to reduce overarching biofuels targets may damage the industry's growth and its place in tomorrow's renewables mix.
- The week in wildlife in pictures August 29, 2014Sea turtles, kingfishers and butterflies are among the pick of this weeks images from the natural world Continue reading...Guardian Staff
- Help small island states win their battle against climate change August 29, 2014Earths fate is inextricably linked to 52 nations threatened by rising sea levels the rest of the world should not let them drown Continue reading...Achim Steiner
- High court rejects badger cull challenge August 29, 2014Badger Trust was seeking a ruling to block the latest cull from proceeding without independent monitoring Continue reading...Press Association
- Time to vote for Britains national bird August 29, 2014Like Americas bald eagle, the UK too should have its own iconic bird and there are 60 for the public to choose from Continue reading...David Lindo
- Renewable energy capacity grows at fastest ever pace August 28, 2014Green technologies now produce 22% of world's electricity Continue reading...Terry Macalister
- From coniferous plantation to open forest landscape August 30, 2014Foxbury, New Forest: An area of broadleaf woodland enthusiastically planted by volunteers is fenced off to give the saplings a chance to survive the onslaught of deer Continue reading...Graham Long
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- About Us August 11, 2009We are a campaigning organisation that appeals to all walks of life with a shared vision of a better place to live. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Claim for Fire at BAE Arms Development CentreWe mounted our attack against the BAE Systems arms factory in the Filton area of Bristol by setting a fire against the fuel tank outside the onsite Advanced Technology Centre (Impact Facility - High Power Electro Magnetic Facility section) on August 29th. Today we now announce carrying this out in the context of the NATO summit in Newport in five days. Brita […]
- As well as the Celtic Manor here are some other parts of NATO's militarised netwMaps for those attending the 2014 NATO Summit
- Grow Heathrow: You can't evict an idea (VIDEO)Video about eviction resistance at Grow Heathrow https://vimeo.com/104170032
- Attack on Army Cadet base in BristolAttack on Army Cadet base in Bristol
- Public Beheadings - Daily Sport in Saudi ArabiaPublic beheadings are taking place twice daily in Saudi Arabia. The Justice Minister Mohammed Al Eissa, has defended tough Sharia punishments such as beheading, cutting off hands, and lashing claiming they; "cannot be changed because they are enshrined in Islamic law. These punishments are based on divine religious texts and we cannot change them," […]
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- RT @nkgreens: @TheGreenParty activists out in Dewsbury supporting the @38_degrees #noTTIP campaign http://t.co/qzpih4lGu6 1 hour ago
- RT @bassieenbommel: http://t.co/KzsKyaK62H 1 hour ago
- RT @makinggood1: in #China # #YulinGetDogsOffTheMenu http://t.co/i0bM4iO1jS” via Andrew100362 @RebelMouse via @RebelMouse http://t.co/ZpM8g… 1 hour ago
- RT @boycottdogmeat: Save the #wolves! biologicaldiversity.org/news/press_rel… http://t.co/cO2Owpr2Bk 1 hour ago
- RT @WhyIAmVegan: The Vegan Group Daily is out! paper.li/WhyIAmVegan/13… Stories via @SweetLoveMsg @mannweil @JamesWoodAR 1 hour ago
- RT @boycottdogmeat: I don't even know what's worse, eating or this #opnulldenmark #dogs #denmark http://t.co/0wI3ackZFI 1 hour ago
- The referendum: Remember animals wp.me/pPEwS-2j3 1 hour ago
- Vegan Magazine Finally hits Uk! #veganlife wp.me/pPEwS-2j1 11 hours ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
- Our Jerusalem: Art work by Jordanian Children August 18, 2014 at 6:00 pm – September 12, 2014 at 6:00 pm Gallery Wall Oxford Central Library
Climate Change Events
- 22nd EM Induction Workshop Weimar, Germany 24 – 30 August 2014 August 24, 2014 – August 31, 2014 Weimar, Germany
- BIT's 4th Annual World Congress of Agriculture 2014 August 29, 2014 – September 1, 2014 Changchun, China
- GeoMod 2014 September 1, 2014 – September 6, 2014 Berlin, Germany
- 24th European Cosmic Ray Symposium (ECRS2014) September 1, 2014 – September 6, 2014 Kiel, Germany
- Wegener 2014: Measuring and Modelling our Dynamic Planet September 1, 2014 – September 5, 2014 Leeds, UK
- World Water Week 2014 August 30, 2014 at 11:00 pm – September 4, 2014 at 11:00 pm Stockholmsmässan, Stockholm, Sweden
- Seminar on oil spill response science and technology September 2, 2014 at 7:30 am – September 3, 2014 at 5:30 pm , Yantai, China
- Training course for level 3 commanders of oil spill response September 4, 2014 at 7:00 am – September 5, 2014 at 5:00 pm , Yantai, China
- The SPE African HSE Conference and Exhibition 2014 September 15, 2014 at 8:15 am – September 17, 2014 at 4:15 pm , Maputo, Mozambique
- African Regional Forum on Business and Human Rights September 16, 2014 at 8:00 am – September 18, 2014 at 4:00 pm , Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- CSR Asia Summit 2014 September 16, 2014 at 8:00 am – September 17, 2014 at 4:00 pm Kowloon Shangri-La , , Hong Kong