Experts concerned after Bald Eagle poisoned
Originally posted on KFOR.com:
[ooyala code="E0MnJiYTqEYv5wPxFn98ylrRKDRzgwVX" player_id="df513009265e4427aaf5f0342a75c90e"]
NOBLE, Okla. – A bald eagle was poisoned earlier this month despite efforts of rescue workers to save it.
The poisoning of our national emblem is not a good sign for the safety of Oklahomans.
Rhondi Large said she makes it her mission to help heal animals struggling to survive.
When the bald eagle was brought to WildCare for treatment, Large knew right away something was very wrong.
“She just didn’t have the fight,” Large said. “She didn’t have the spunk, the fire, that normally they would have.”
Despite everything Large and her team could do, a few days later the bird died.
The cause? High levels of lead and rat poison.
“She was just way too toxic for us to be able to pull through,” she said.
This poisoning isn’t just a problem for animals, it’s a big problem for people as well.
Because animals often…
View original 206 more words
- Big business leads the way on carbon pricing September 17, 2014Major corporations are outpacing governments by preparing for a financial future with carbon pricing.
- H&M's 'Conscious Denim' range unveiled to tackle water and energy use September 16, 2014Clothing giant H&M has launched a new range of denim made from more sustainable material that has been graded to assess its environmental impact.
- Environmentalist super-group calls for fossil fuel divestment September 15, 2014A collection of 160 of the world's top environmentalists have taken a full page advert in the New York Times to call on philanthropists and charities to use their funds to tackle global warming ahead of next week's UN Climate Summit in New York.
- World's most sustainable businesses revealed September 12, 2014Unilever, Siemens and Akzo Nobel are among 24 companies that have been topped their respective industries in the prestigious Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI) review.
- Unilever's Climate Summit campaign goes viral September 12, 2014A digital awareness campaign which aims to encourage global leaders to adopt a more ambitious and urgent approach to addressing climate change has surpassed expectations ahead of the United Nations Climate Summit in New York.
- VIDEO: Shell unveils world's first football pitch to be powered by players' footsteps September 11, 2014Oil giant Shell has installed 200 kinetic energy tiles at a community football pitch in the Morro da Mineira favela near Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Wildlife licences: cant shoot robins, but Egyptian geese are game September 17, 2014Changes spare top birds of Britain and allows trapping and releasing protected species found on farmland Continue reading...John Vidal
- Ban Ki-moon to join climate change march September 17, 2014I will link arms with those marching for climate action, says UN secretary general Continue reading...Fiona Harvey
- 50 Years of Wildlife Photographer of the Year in pictures September 17, 2014Natural History Museums new book released on Wednesday marks five decades of the WPY competition, celebrating the art of wildlife photography. Started in the 1960s, the 160 prize-winning and commended images represent 50 years of different times, styles and specialisms showcasing some of the iconic images of wildlife on planet Earth, part of an exhibition in […]Guardian Staff
- Antarctic sea ice set for record high as Arctic heads for sixth lowest extent September 17, 2014Antarctica poised for record high as figures show Arctic sea ice was millions of square kilometres below long-term average Continue reading...Adam Vaughan
- Barack Obama welcomes report saying fighting climate change can be low cost September 16, 2014World can cut greenhouse gas emissions, grow economy and improve lives, says study before UN summit in New York Continue reading...Fiona Harvey, environment correspondent
- Renewable energy target: Coalition and Labor no closer to compromise September 17, 2014Division remains in Coalition where backbenchers are pushing against large-scale wind and solar projects Continue reading...Oliver Milman
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- About Us August 11, 2009We are a campaigning organisation that appeals to all walks of life with a shared vision of a better place to live. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- The Taking of the Stone of Destiny - a screenplayThe story of Scottish nationalist Ian Hamilton's audacious recapture of the Stone of Scone from England in 1950.
- How can BT threaten voters on Scotland with costlier service? On whose mandate?BT features as one of the Big Biz Conglomerates actively engage din consolidating to Big Biz dictating to the voters at the Referendum on Scotland on Thursday. Who gave BT that mandate to issue such threats?
- Open letter to the whiteman: Brett Baileyhttp://destroydocumenta.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/open-letter-to-whiteman-brett-bailey.html http://destroydocumenta.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/storm-exhibit-b-at-barbican.html
- Eugenics (Nazi Germany) now in school curriculumEugenics is now in the school curriculum, known as 'Opening Minds' devised by the RSA (Royal Society for the Arts); President the Princess Royal, Patron the queen. The RSA is located within the John Adam St Gang network in London. (also known as the olympians, or the Committeeof 300). (Google 'John Coleman the olympians' for the youtube v […]
- Documentation of Cameron MessageDavid Haines Beheaded IS just released a video where they behead yet another hostage. This time its David Haines , a hostage from the United Kingdom captured in Syria in 2013. This is the video text --
- Environmental impacts of animal farming spark continued controversy August 8, 1913New research published by Cambridge and Aberdeen universities has provided further evidence of the massive and growing environmental impacts of farming animals for food, sparking more debate on the issue. The new report states that worldwide ...
- Take action against battery cages for 'gamebirds' August 9, 1915The focus of this year’s National Anti-Shooting Week (22 - 28 September) is our campaign to ban the battery cages that are used to incarcerate breeding pheasants and partridges. We view the abolition of these contraptions –...
- Insensitivity of primate researchers exposed by government committee July 8, 1916The Animals in Science Committee (ASC), which is responsible for advising the government on vivisection, has rejected several elements of a deeply disturbing government-commissioned report that downplayed the suffering of primates used in neuroscience ...
- Royal Ascot Update: Death Toll Rises to Four July 8, 1918It has been announced today (7 August) that young filly Inchila has been destroyed after she was unable to recover from a fractured pelvis sustained during a race at Royal Ascot this year. This brings the 2014 Royal Meeting’s equine de...
- Two farmers prosecuted for neglecting animals July 8, 1918A farmer in Yorkshire has been jailed for 16 weeks after 350 dead and dying animals were discovered at his farm, whilst another farmer in Wales has had his animals seized after they were found to be neglected and underfed. James Linsley, who ...
- I'm giving away free Light brown carpet @ bit.ly/1uLsQSt 5 days ago
- Coal and the power companies wp.me/pPEwS-2jE 1 week ago
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/3iM9Xl0a7cU?a Glasgow Rangers - Penny Arcade 1 week ago
- Mining................. wp.me/sPEwS-mining 1 week ago
- University of Washington. Shame on YOU. wp.me/pPEwS-2jC 1 week ago
- Exploitation wp.me/pPEwS-2js 2 weeks ago
- Denmark, One Of The Countries Where It’s Still Legal To Have Sex With An Animal. wp.me/pPEwS-2jo 2 weeks ago
- Say “No” to Ice Bucket Challenge wp.me/pPEwS-2jn 2 weeks ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- Geospace revisited: a Cluster /MAARBLE /Van Allen Probes Conferenc e September 15, 2014 – September 21, 2014 Island of Rhodes, Greece
- Topo-Europe 2014: Interplay between surface, lithospheric, and m antle processes September 17, 2014 – September 20, 2014 Barcelona, Spain
- Multiproxy approach to the reconstruction of the Pliocene climate workshop September 17, 2014 – September 20, 2014 Barcelona, Spain
- Autumn School: Data Assimilation in Biogeochemical Cycles September 20, 2014 – September 28, 2014 Trieste, Italy
- GeoFrankfurt 2014 September 21, 2014 – September 25, 2014 Frankfurt, Germany
No upcoming events