DEEP Officers Who Helped At Sandy Hook Among Those To Be Honored
MERIDEN, Conn. (AP) _ Connecticut officials will be honoring the good work of state environmental conservation police officers.
The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection has scheduled an awards ceremony for 6 p.m. at the Connecticut State Police Museum in Meriden.
Department Commissioner Daniel Esty says awards will be given this year to 11 environmental conservation officers who responded to the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown in December.
- Major worldwide companies failing to address water scarcity October 18, 2012The majority of the world's largest companies lack a long-term water strategy, according to a report from the professional services company KPMG.
- Water bills could quadruple for Irish businesses October 17, 2012The price of water would quadruple in Ireland if European trends are applied, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and it is therefore crucial that businesses tackle water efficiency.
- Sustainable businesses need 'transparent dialogue with stakeholders' October 12, 2012Feedback and the views from stakeholders must be accounted for when businesses develop their sustainability strategies, says Asia Pulp & Paper's (APP) sustainability manager.
- Audi powers up with biofuels from wastewater October 10, 2012Audi is pioneering the development of eco-fuels from wastewater which will offer sustainable alternatives to petrol and diesel.
- PUMA costs out environmental 'calories' of its products October 9, 2012PUMA has scaled up its environmental profit and loss (EP&L) reporting to a product level, effectively putting a carbon 'price tag' on the shoes and clothing it produces.
- Robotic recycling firm set for high powered growth September 27, 2012ZenRobotics has secured €13m in investment funding to grow and commercialise its robotic waste recycling system, following the sale of its first ZenRobotics Recycler in a deal worth €1m.
- Save Santa's Home Christmas cards December 5, 2013Celebrities and designers create a set of Christmas cards as part of Greenpeace's Save Santa's Home campaign
- Osborne relaxes green rules December 5, 2013Savings come from green levies being lifted off the power companies rather than raising income tax, chancellor says, as he confirms plans to cut taxes on fracking companiesGeorge Osborne promised that household energy bills would be cut by £50 a year without raising income tax in his autumn statement on Thursday, but fuel poverty campaigners said thousands o […]Terry Macalister
- UK storms and tidal surges December 5, 2013Key facts around the stormy weather currently battering Scotland, northern England and set to threaten the east coastWhat has caused the storm?Warm air from across the Atlantic has met cool air from the Arctic to form a low-pressure weather system. The storm is moving eastwards off the north coast of Scotland. On Wednesday night and Thursday morning, the low […]Ian Sample
- Tell us how can we protect cyclists December 5, 2013There is still time to submit written evidence to the select committee, and I urge you to do that to get your opinions heardOn Tuesday the bike blog published a post that was highly critical of the Commons transport select committee's investigation into cycle safety. Here, the Labour MP for Rotherham, Sarah Champion, a member of the committee, responds. […]Sarah Champion
- Protesters removed from fracking site December 5, 2013Villagers complain of police brutality after being forced out of their camping site in fields targeted for shale gas drillingUS energy company Chevron has resumed its search for shale gas at a controversial site in north-east Romania after hundreds of riot police forcefully removed protesters from the village of Pungesti.For more than two months, the village […]Luke Dale-Harris
- UK flood warning: thousands evacuated from homes - live updates December 5, 2013• Evacuation underway on east coast and in Wales• Two confirmed killed a storms strike UK• Scotland's railway network closed • Thames barrier to be deployed• Read the latest summary• Extreme weather in the UK – in pictures• Send your stories, video and images to GuardianWitnessMatthew WeaverPaul OwenConal UrquhartMatthew Weaver, Paul Owen, Conal Urquhart
- News: Public Inquiry into commercial unconventional gas development is UK first December 3, 2013Key issues to be examined at the UK’s first Public Inquiry into a planning application for commercial unconventional gas extraction will be decided today (4/12/13). Scottish Government Reporters will set the scope and agenda for the Public Local Inquiry into Dart Energy's plans for coalbed methane at Airth, due to take place in the spring, at a meeting […]
- News: New report urges more rapid action on climate change December 3, 2013Reacting to a new report from climate scientists, including Prof Pete Smith at Aberdeen University, Dr Richard Dixon, Director of Friends of the Earth Scotland, said: “This report adds even more urgency to the need to reduce climate emissions. Here we have a group of eminent scientists calling for rapid action to cut emissions from power stations, factories, […]
- News: Mass Exodus at Frustrating Climate Talks in Warsaw November 22, 2013One day before the official conclusion of the Warsaw UN climate conference, hundreds of climate activists from trade unions, social movements and environment and development groups - including Friends of the Earth Scotland - walked out of the talks in protest at the lack of progress on key issues. Share buttons: Display Facebook and Twitter share buttons r […]
- News: Climate Change - Highest Ever Emissions Reinforce Need For URGENT ACTION November 19, 2013Commenting on the Global Carbon Report from the Tyndall Centre, Dr Richard Dixon, Director of Friends of the Earth Scotland said: “2013 will see the highest-ever emissions of climate-changing gases from human activity. These figures are a grim reality-check for the Ministers assembling at the Warsaw climate conference. The world’s nations need to make urge […]
- News: Key issues must be agreed at Warsaw climate conference November 11, 2013Friends of the Earth Scotland is calling for urgent action at the 19th annual United Nations Climate Conference, which begins today. Share buttons: Display Facebook and Twitter share buttons read more
- Ministry of Justice Gross Financial MismanagementAn account of the real nature of the finances of the ministry of justice
- Assembly of the Unemployed in South AfricaNext week there will be a mass assembly of organisations and movements representing the unemployed in South Africa. Dissident union leaders and others will attend. It looks like this could be a major step on the way to the formation of a new left wing party based on an alliance between workers and the unemployed.
- 17 Dec: Chelsea Manning Birthday VigilChelsea (formerly Bradley) Manning is the US soldier sentenced to 35 years in jail for leaking thousands of documents to Wikileaks exposing US and other governments’ war crimes and corruption. She is 26 years old on Tuesday 17 December. Ever since she was detained and tortured in 2010, international protests have demanded her release. Demonstrate your suppor […]
- On Streets of Dublin: Manning-Assange-SnowdenThe last few days in Dublin unfolded in a warm embrace of solidarity for imprisoned Pvt. Manning’s mother Susan, aunts Mary & Sharon & uncle Kevin. The family had travelled from their hometown Haverfordwest, south-west Wales to Dublin, Ireland, the birthplace of their father.
- Insurgency Responsible for Civilian Plight of SyriansObjective and non-objective as well as official and non-official reports about the responsibility of the Syrian government are abundant, but that of the insurgents has been for too long covered up and only of late come under the scrutiny of human rights organizations and media spotlight.
- Vote 'No' for Jockey McCoy as Sports Personality of the Year November 6, 1916BBC Television routinely downplayed the deaths of horses during racing events that it broadcast, so it is no surprise that it has once again shortlisted jockey AP McCoy for Sports Personality of the Year, despite the large number of horses who have die...
- Wall Street Journal writes about campaign to protect Britain's monk parakeets October 7, 1924An article in the Wall Street Journal details the campaign to protect the feral population of monk parakeets living in the UK. The government has spent £192,000 trying to capture and kill the birds, whose numbers were thought to be n...
- Council rejects application for vivisection breeding unit October 7, 1924Councillors have rejected a planning application for a new vivisection breeding unit in East Yorkshire. The unit would have bred dogs and ferrets for use in animal experiments and been an expansion of B&K Universal, a company that supplies animals to l...
- Princess Anne and the horsemeat debate October 7, 1926Princess Anne’s recent comments that we should consider a trade in horsemeat have sparked heated debate. The implication is that by treating horses in the same way as other animals bred and slaughtered for meat, their welfare would be ...
- Lush Prize recognises outstanding work on non-animal testing October 7, 1926The winners of the 2013 Lush Prize have shared prize money of £250,000 for their pioneering work on non-animal chemical safety testing at an award ceremony in London on 13 November. Andrew Tyler, Director of Animal Aid, was one of the judges and...
- Give a Greenpeace gift this Christmas wp.me/pPEwS-278 1 day ago
- Monsanto uncorking the champagne wp.me/pPEwS-276 1 day ago
- help us force change for these important causes: wp.me/pPEwS-26Z 1 day ago
- End Bullfighting in France wp.me/pPEwS-26X 1 day ago
- Groundbreaking lawsuit for chimp legal personhood in NY Times wp.me/pPEwS-26V 1 day ago
- RT @bristolarc: Want to taste some vegan food samples and find out more about becoming vegan? Pop along to our vegan stall tomorrow in Broa… 5 days ago
- BBC News - Gloucestershire badger cull ends as targets missed bbc.in/1budM5Z 5 days ago
- Tell Tyson to Stop Torturing Pigs change.org/petitions/tell… via @change 5 days ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
- Dirty Wars - The Movie December 6, 2013 at 6:00 pm Phoenix Cinema, Walton Street
Climate Change Events
- 2013 AGU Fall Meeting December 9, 2013 – December 14, 2013 San Francisco, USA
- European Research Course on Atmospheres (ERCA) 2014 January 8, 2014 – February 8, 2014 Grenoble, France
- 9th International Conference on Dendrochronology January 13, 2014 – January 18, 2014 Melbourne, Australia
- Towards a more accurate quantification of human-environment intera ctions in the past February 3, 2014 – February 8, 2014 Leuven, Belgium
- The Changing Arctic and Subarctic Environment: Proxy- and Model Ba sed Reconstructions February 4, 2014 – February 7, 2014 Bordeaux, France
- International Petroleum Week February 17, 2014 at 12:00 am – February 19, 2014 at 12:00 am , London, United Kingdom
- 2014 SPE International Conference on HSE in Oil and Gas E&P March 17, 2014 at 9:00 am – March 19, 2014 at 5:00 pm Long Beach Convention & Entertainment Center, Long Beach, California, United n States
- LATINVE&P Forum and Exposition March 26, 2014 at 8:30 am – March 28, 2014 at 5:30 pm , Lima, Peru
- Reporting Working Group meeting April 1, 2014 at 8:00 am – April 2, 2014 at 4:00 pm Institute of Directors, London, United Kingdom
- IPIECA's 40th Anniversary Conference and Dinner April 3, 2014 at 8:00 am – 9:30 pm , London, United Kingdom
- Global Water Summit 2014 April 6, 2014 at 11:00 pm – 11:00 pm , Paris, France