DEEP Officers Who Helped At Sandy Hook Among Those To Be Honored
Originally posted on CBS Connecticut:
MERIDEN, Conn. (AP) _ Connecticut officials will be honoring the good work of state environmental conservation police officers.
The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection has scheduled an awards ceremony for 6 p.m. at the Connecticut State Police Museum in Meriden.
Department Commissioner Daniel Esty says awards will be given this year to 11 environmental conservation officers who responded to the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown in December. A gunman killed 20 first-graders, six adults and himself at the school, after shooting his mother to death at their home.
Esty said the 11 officers helped evacuate the school and search the building.
Also receiving awards are three DEEP emergency dispatchers and the Maine Warden Service critical incident stress debriefing team.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Fashion giants pledge to end supply-chain deforestation October 30, 2014Levi Strauss, H&M and Asos, are among 25 major fashion brands representing more than £45bn in global sales that have committed to an industry campaign to eliminate deforestation from supply chains.
- EU sanctions to spark price rise in solar glass October 29, 2014Businesses looking to add solar installations should move fast, investor services firm IHS has warned, as EU duties on Chinese firms look set to inflate international prices of solar glass.
- VIDEO: Hotel giant eyes 25% energy reduction with green scheme rollout October 29, 2014InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) has announced that 'Green Engage' programme is being extended to incorporate the company's global estate of over 4,700 hotels.
- Global biopower capacity 'will double by 2025' October 29, 2014Global biopower installed capacity is set to increase from 87.6 Gigawatts (GW) in 2013 to 165.1GW by 2025 thanks to government support and environmental concerns.
- Clothing giant champions sustainable design with first CSR report October 28, 2014VF Corporation, the firm behind the North Face and Timberland clothing brands, has released its first Sustainability Report, setting new company-wide targets and detailing the green initiatives it plans to scale-up.
- Planned dams to double hydropower output October 24, 2014An unprecedented boom in hydropower dam construction is underway, with 3,700 major dams expected to be built in the next twenty years, doubling hydropower electric capacity to 1,700 GW.
- Flytipping up 20% in England after falling for years October 30, 2014Worrying increase in amount of rubbish illegally dumped on roadsides and back alleys cost local authorities £45m last yearHas flytipping increased in your area? Continue reading...Adam Vaughan
- Swedish energy company Vattenfall plans sale of German coal operations October 30, 2014Sale of coal mines and power plants would enable the state-owned energy company to meet its emissions targets without reducing pollution Continue reading...Karl Mathiesen
- Regreening program to restore one-sixth of Ethiopia's land October 30, 2014Tree and shrub-planting program has transformed degraded and deforested land across Africa, with Ethiopia planning to restore a further 15m hectares by 2030 Continue reading...John Vidal
- Photographs of Sellafield nuclear plant prompt fears over radioactive risk October 29, 2014Nuclear safety expert claims there is significant risk due to poor condition of storage ponds containing highly radioactive fuel rods Continue reading...John Vidal and Rob Edwards
- Hundreds of birds of prey are being shot or poisoned in UK October 30, 2014RSPB calls on shooting industry to help stamp out problem as a report shows birds, including golden eagles, hen harriers and red kites were illegally killed last year Continue reading...Press Association
- New research reveals what's causing sea level to rise October 30, 2014Sea level rise is half due to melting ice and half due to ocean warming, including 13% from the deepest oceans, a new paper has found Continue reading...John Abraham
- Better Banks January 23, 2013Short title: Better Banks We're on our way to a better financial system. Find out how you can help us make better banks. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Social Centres Gathering , 8th / 9th NovemberA weekend of talks and skill shares for anyone interested in or involved in autonomous social centres and spaces.
- The fall of the Berlin WallNovember 9 marks the anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall. Since 1989, pictures of rejoicing people, hugging each other and dancing on top of the Wall after the opening of the border crossing, have been used as symbols for the collapse of the GDR (German Democratic Republic) and the other Stalinist regimes that had come to power in Eastern Europe after […]
- Death Drones are Arriving in Llanbedr - ProtestProtest the use of Llanbedr airfield for drone testing - Noon 30 Oct
- Execution of "Occupy Democracy" and the Banality of EvilThe sense of duty trumped ethics in the state repression at Parliament Square
- The greatest humanist of the 20th centuryStalin- the greatest humanist of the 20th century - celebrate his birthday on December 18th
- Gun lobby under fire September 7, 1912The gun lobby has today suffered a serious body blow with the publication of two scientifically robust reports that, on the one hand, demolishes claims that ‘sport shooting’ is immensely valuable to the UK economy and, on the other, accuses...
- One-In-Eight British Adults Is Veggie September 7, 1912A survey conducted by Mintel has found that one-in-eight British adults has ditched meat and fish, with that number rising to one-in-five for younger people aged 16-24. The research found that millions more people have also reduced their meat consumpti...
- Government figures on mis-stunning in UK slaughterhouses 'more than 99.99 per cent inaccurate' September 7, 1917Animal Aid says Defra is misleading Parliament and the public with ‘wildly, out-of-the-ball-park, embarrassingly inaccurate’ information When Neil Parish MP was given the government’s official recorded stati...
- Exeter's cruelty-free Christmas extravaganza returns September 7, 1920South West’s first Green MEP to be special guest South West Christmas Without Cruelty Festival 2014 – Saturday 22 November Exeter Corn Exchange Market Street, Exeter, EX1 1BU 10am-4.15pm FREE...
- Charity's attempt to distance itself from cruel animal experiments backfires September 7, 1924The British Heart Foundation’s (BHF) attempt to distance itself from some of the cruel animal experiments uncovered by Animal Aid as part of its Victims of Charity campaign has triggered a major new exposé. This reveals a catalogu...
- RT @DanielGennaoui: 5 incredible hidden street art pieces from around the world: bit.ly/NiumeStreetart… #streetart #art http://t.co/1DfcxQk… 3 hours ago
- RT @Sid_Vicious999: SUPPORT AND RT #ANONFAMILY #OPNULLDENMARK http://t.co/ElQvjsY2MU 3 hours ago
- RT @YvettevEechoud: Germany and Netherlands #recycling & #nolandfill champions of EU! 🌱🍀 http://t.co/WLMLCJk7Ic 3 hours ago
- RT @dunoonobserver: Falling population is a threat to Argyll and Bute's economic prosperity - but how do we attract young people to... http… 3 hours ago
- RT @CasualUltra_: Pyro from the St. Pauli fans vs. Borussia Dortmund tonight! #NoPyroNoParty http://t.co/ueNGAOUA1r 1 day ago
- RT @stopeatingcats: The #dogmeattrade needs to stop asap. Cruel #traditions should not be extended & encouraged-media outrage needed http:… 1 day ago
- RT @Animals1st: Warning about marshmallows laced with poison and filled with nails reaches millions thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/11564351.… http://t.co/7sf… 1 day ago
- RT @Freja_Petersen: Sleeping elephant woken up to be shot - Africa Geographic Blog shar.es/10fpex http://t.co/B6S1k8J6Y9 1 day ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
- Lucy Ward in Concert with Jackie Oates & Megan Henwood November 3, 2014 at 8:00 pm http://www.nettlebedfolkclub.co.uk/index.html
Climate Change Events
- Réunion des Sciences de la Terre (Earth Sciences Meeting) October 27, 2014 – November 1, 2014 Pau, France
- ESA-SOLAS-EGU "Earth Observation for Ocean-Atmosphere Interactions Science 2014 - Responding to the new scientific challenges of SOLAS" October 28, 2014 – November 1, 2014 Frascati, Italy
- Training school "Earthquakes: nucleation, triggering, and relati onship with aseismic prcesses" November 3, 2014 – November 11, 2014 Cargèse, Corsica
- Lithosphere 2014 Symposium November 4, 2014 – November 7, 2014 Turku / Åbo, Finland
- DPS 2014 - 46th Annual Meeting November 9, 2014 – November 15, 2014 Tucson, USA
- 10th Annual HSE Forum in Energy November 3, 2014 at 9:00 am – November 5, 2014 at 5:00 pm , Doha, Qatar
- IUCN World Parks Congress November 12, 2014 at 12:00 am – November 19, 2014 at 12:00 am , Sydney, Australia
- G20 Leaders Summit November 15, 2014 at 12:00 am – 12:00 am Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre, Brisbane, Australia
- Third United Nations Forum on Business and Human Rights December 1, 2014 at 9:00 am – December 3, 2014 at 5:00 pm Palais des Nations, Geneva, Switzerland
- UNFCCC COP-20 December 1, 2014 at 9:00 am – December 12, 2014 at 6:00 pm , Lima, Peru
- Arctic Biodiversity Congress December 2, 2014 at 12:00 am – December 4, 2014 at 12:00 am , Trondheim, Norway