DEEP Officers Who Helped At Sandy Hook Among Those To Be Honored
Originally posted on CBS Connecticut:
MERIDEN, Conn. (AP) _ Connecticut officials will be honoring the good work of state environmental conservation police officers.
The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection has scheduled an awards ceremony for 6 p.m. at the Connecticut State Police Museum in Meriden.
Department Commissioner Daniel Esty says awards will be given this year to 11 environmental conservation officers who responded to the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown in December. A gunman killed 20 first-graders, six adults and himself at the school, after shooting his mother to death at their home.
Esty said the 11 officers helped evacuate the school and search the building.
Also receiving awards are three DEEP emergency dispatchers and the Maine Warden Service critical incident stress debriefing team.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Major worldwide companies failing to address water scarcity October 18, 2012The majority of the world's largest companies lack a long-term water strategy, according to a report from the professional services company KPMG.
- Water bills could quadruple for Irish businesses October 17, 2012The price of water would quadruple in Ireland if European trends are applied, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and it is therefore crucial that businesses tackle water efficiency.
- Sustainable businesses need 'transparent dialogue with stakeholders' October 12, 2012Feedback and the views from stakeholders must be accounted for when businesses develop their sustainability strategies, says Asia Pulp & Paper's (APP) sustainability manager.
- Audi powers up with biofuels from wastewater October 10, 2012Audi is pioneering the development of eco-fuels from wastewater which will offer sustainable alternatives to petrol and diesel.
- PUMA costs out environmental 'calories' of its products October 9, 2012PUMA has scaled up its environmental profit and loss (EP&L) reporting to a product level, effectively putting a carbon 'price tag' on the shoes and clothing it produces.
- Robotic recycling firm set for high powered growth September 27, 2012ZenRobotics has secured €13m in investment funding to grow and commercialise its robotic waste recycling system, following the sale of its first ZenRobotics Recycler in a deal worth €1m.
- Pope Francis urged to back fossil fuel divestment campaign April 16, 2014Letter from religious groups in Australia and North America says it is 'immoral' to profit from fossil fuels Read the full text of the letter to the Pope Continue reading...Graham Readfearn
- MPs warn of invasion by non-native plant and animal species April 15, 2014Government is urged to introduce powers to tackle species such as Japanese knotweed and North American signal crayfish Continue reading...Jessica Aldred
- Rising activist deaths are a symptom of our global environmental crisis April 16, 2014It has never been more important to protect the environment but it has never been more deadly Continue reading...Oliver Courtney
- One-third of Beijing pollution comes from outside the city, figures show April 16, 2014Pollution watchdog says 28-36% of hazardous airborne particles came from surrounding provinces like Hebei Continue reading...Reuters
- Pedal on Parliament: the stakes are high ahead of Scottish referendum April 16, 2014Our annual mass bike ride is aiming to make Scotland a cycle-friendly country whatever the outcome Continue reading...Sally Hinchcliffe
- The trade in rhino horn: asset stripping on an apocalyptic scale April 17, 2014The South African governments plan to legalise rhino horn sales will simply make life easier for the organised crime cartels that are exterminating the species Continue reading...Paula Kahumbu with Andrew Halliday
- News: IPCC Climate Report - time to get out of fossil fuels April 13, 2014Reacting to the release of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s report setting out the pathways the world must take to avoid climate disaster, Dr Richard Dixon, Director of Friends of the Earth Scotland, said: “Bold international action to cut our use of fossil fuels is urgently required to steer the planet away from catastrophic climate change. S […]
- News: Shocking death toll from air pollution at local level revealed April 10, 2014Air Pollution has been linked to 2094 deaths every year in regions across Scotland, with a total of nearly 22,500 life-years lost, new statistics for every council area in Scotland reveal in a report from Public Health England. (1) Glasgow sees the most deaths from air pollution, with 306 people killed off every year, with Edinburgh, Dundee, and Aberdeen als […]
- News: Energy war of words over nuclear and renewables April 9, 2014Reacting to the clash of words between Scottish and UK Ministers over the future of electricity generation, Dr Richard Dixon, Director of Friends of the Earth Scotland, said: Share buttons: Display Facebook and Twitter share buttons read more
- News: New IPCC report spells out grim future March 31, 2014Reacting to the release of the latest report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Dr Richard Dixon, Director of Friends of the Earth Scotland, said: Share buttons: Display Facebook and Twitter share buttons read more
- News: Citizens Demand Energy Revolution March 20, 2014Citizens Demand Energy Revolution in Glasgow and BrusselsAs European Heads of State are meeting today in Brussels to debate the 2030 climate and energy goals, people are forming human windmills to show support for a green energy revolution.Friends of the Earth Scotland’s campaigner Anne Schiffer said: “Those who favour an energy system that benefits people, […]
- Tower Hamlets - could the BBC & Private Eye be leaving out 'UK National' angle?The London Met Police is reported by Wednesday's Guardian (16 April 2014) web site and by the Evening Standard to have found 'no evidence' of criminality in Tower Hamlets Council. There will therefore be no investigation by the Police into Tower Hamlets Council, say those reports.
- Nazi clothing brand sets-up shop in LondonNazi clothing brand Thor Steinar sets-up shop in London
- Bursaspor Galatasaray maçı ne olur?Galatasaray moral olarak çökmüş durumda. Bursaspor için ise hayat memat mücadelesi. Ligde bile son 2 maçta güçlü rakipleri karşısında aldıkları başarılı sonuçlar takımın yükselen grafiğini ve futbolcuların “biz daha ölmedik” mesajını veriyor.
- lakshawadeep islands under threatislands under ecological threat
- Threat to lakaswadeep islands ecologylakashadweep islands under ecological threat
- Badger Cull Announcement March 8, 1914Today, the government has announced that there will be no rollout of the badger cull, but that it will continue in Somerset and Gloucestershire. Defra Minister, Owen Paterson, said that – when culling is ‘perfected’ – he will al...
- Grand National is more than five times as lethal as other jumps races March 9, 1915Animal Aid remains seriously concerned about the horses entered into Saturday’s Grand National at Aintree. While there were no fatalities during the big race at last year’s event, three horses have died in the last five races staged on the ...
- The 2014 Grand National March 8, 1916‘Thankfully, there were no horse fatalities in this year’s Grand National but the race was a stomach-churning, chaotic event, with just 18 of the 39 who took part able to complete the course. Eight horses fell and seven were pulled up becau...
- Panda Prison March 7, 1917The big unrequited ‘love story’ of the spring was that of Edinburgh zoo’s giant pandas, Tian Tian and her fellow captive Yang Guang. Female pandas are biologically receptive for just 36 hours a year and, as that ‘window’ a...
- Government figures on effective stunning in UK slaughterhouses attacked as 'wildly inaccurate' March 8, 1918The government has grossly underplayed animal suffering by issuing new figures stating that animals in British slaughterhouses are correctly stunned in more than 99 per cent of cases. This statistic comes from the number of mis-stuns witnessed and repo...
- Gays Use Their Bodies 'In Ways They're Not Supposed To,' According To Scott Lively huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/11/sco… 2 days ago
- RT @AmyRoseKathryn: Celebrate National Dolphin Day With A Look At These Unique Dolphin Species m.huffpost.com/us/entry/51469… http://t.co/1PG4cAelEA 2 days ago
- RT @ashleyortwine: If you haven't watched Blackfish, please do. It'll give you a new perspective on sea world. 2 days ago
- Whole Natural Dark Chia Seeds (1kg) @Amazon amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EQCWORA 3 days ago
- Call to review pet rabbit protection bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla… 3 days ago
- EU 'must lead' climate change fight bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politi… 3 days ago
- Sheepwrecked – Environmentalists v Farmers wp.me/pPEwS-2ec 3 days ago
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/TiIxdaajYYs?a Magic Bullet or NutriBullet Which One Should I Buy 3 days ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
- against EU austerity April 29, 2014 at 6:00 pm Ruskin College
- May Day march & rally May 3, 2014 at 10:30 am meet at Manzil Way
Climate Change Events
- Wave Interaction - 2014 April 23, 2014 – April 27, 2014 Linz, Austria
- Operational Techniques in Volcanic Hazard Assessment April 24, 2014 – April 26, 2014 Vienna, Austria
- EGU General Assembly 2014 April 27, 2014 – May 3, 2014 Vienna, Austria
- JpGU Meeting 2014 April 28, 2014 – May 3, 2014 Yokohama, Japan
- 2014 Geomorphic Change Detection (GCD) Workshop April 29, 2014 – May 2, 2014 Logan, Utah, USA
- Social Investment Performance April 29, 2014 at 8:30 am – 10:30 am , Webinar Online, United Kingdom
- International Oil Spill Conference 2014 May 4, 2014 at 11:00 pm – May 7, 2014 at 11:00 pm Savannah International Trade & Convention Center, Savannah, Georgia, United n States
- Sustainability Exchange 2014: Transformation through Collaboration May 21, 2014 at 8:00 am – May 22, 2014 at 4:00 pm , Washington D.C., United States
- SPE Applying the Best Technologies in Extremely Sensitive Environments n Workshop May 27, 2014 at 8:00 am – May 29, 2014 at 4:00 pm , , Ecuador
- SPE Africa HSE Conference and Exhibition June 10, 2014 at 8:00 am – June 12, 2014 at 4:00 pm Safari Park Hotel, Nairobi, Kenya
- 21st World Petroleum Congress June 15, 2014 at 8:00 am – June 19, 2014 at 4:00 pm , Moscow, Russia