Solar-Powered Plane Soars Above Golden Gate
Originally posted on CBS San Francisco:
MOUNTAIN VIEW (CBS SF) – A solar-powered plane with a unique look that took off Tuesday morning from Moffett Airfield in Mountain View passed over the Golden Gate Bridge just after 2 p.m.
The lightweight plane, which has a wingspan of 208 feet, was about 3,000 feet in the air as flew above San Francisco and the bay Tuesday afternoon, said Alexandra Gindroz, spokeswoman for the Swiss firm Solar Impulse, which owns the plane.
The plane, which weighs only about 3,500 pounds, runs completely on power from the sun drawn from 12,000 solar cells on the craft that send energy into batteries that power propellers running on four electric motors, Gindroz said.
[worldnow id=8803472 width=480 height=360 type=video]
Tuesday’s flight is a technical test run to prepare for a planned cross-country trip beginning in early May. On the first leg of the trip, the plane will depart from the Bay Area…
View original 221 more words
- Good, better, best: Whole Foods launches rating system for environmental impact of produce October 17, 2014Whole Foods Market has introduced the Responsibly Grown produce rating system which assesses the impact of farming practices on the environment and human health.
- FCC Environmental US division sold for €70m October 17, 2014Leading waste management firm FCC Environmental has today (17 October) announced it is selling its division in the US to cleaning and waste management firm Heritage-Crystal Clean.
- Sustainability stats: The week in numbers (17/10/14) October 17, 2014What great data did we see in the past seven days? In the third edition of a new series, edie takes a look-back at some of the fascinating figures from the worlds of energy, waste and water.
- Profit or planet? Global index reveals economic benefits of sustainable business October 15, 2014A new study has revealed that carbon-conscious companies are proving to be more profitable than their more polluting rivals.
- Businesses 'must close the skills gap' to survive sustainable economy October 15, 2014A mere 13% of businesses are confident they have the skills to successfully compete in a sustainable economy, according to a new survey by the Institute of Environmental Management & Assessment (IEMA).
- Clean energy investment poised for first increase since 2011 October 15, 2014The global market for sustainable technology is booming, with investment in the clean energy sector worth £34bn in Q3 2014, according to a report released today by Clean Energy Pipeline, the financial news and data service.
- The week in wildlife in pictures October 17, 2014A newborn seal pup, a lake turned pink with flamingos and tortoises hitching a ride feature in this weeks pick of images from the natural world Continue reading...Eric Hilaire
- Badger cull set to fail for second year running October 17, 2014Two-thirds of the way through Gloucestershire cull, fewer than a third of required badgers had been shot Continue reading...Damian Carrington
- Scientists call on public to help solve mystery of starlings' aerial displays October 17, 2014Do starlings flock together to keep warm, for safety or to share roosting tips? A Society of Biology murmuration survey hopes to find the answer and help stem their declineStarling murmuration season - readers pictures Continue reading...Adam Vaughan
- Ice loss sends Alaskan temperatures soaring by 7C October 17, 2014Scientists analysing more than three decades of weather data for the northern Alaskan outpost of Barrow have linked 7C rise to the decline in Arctic sea ice, reports Climate News Network Continue reading...Alex Kirby for Climate News Network, part of the Guardian Environment Network
- Romanian politician calls for the army to help control bear population October 16, 2014Csaba Borboly has called for military assistance and for culling quotas to be lifted following a spate of cases involving brown bears damaging property in Romania Continue reading...Luke Dale-Harris in Targu Mures, Romania
- Beijings smog clouds citys marathon October 20, 2014Runners wear face masks to project against hazardous levels of air pollution during Beijing marathon Continue reading...Jennifer Duggan in Shanghai
- Better Banks January 23, 2013Short title: Better Banks We're on our way to a better financial system. Find out how you can help us make better banks. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- War Against ISIS / Daesh : ColdHackers Hijack Turkish Regime FB AccountsOnce again the comrades from revolutionary Kurdish hacking collective ColdHackers have gone into action and attacked the online presence of the murderous and cowardly Turkish regime in solidarity with their YPG / YPJ brothers & sisters who are fighting for Rojava and the total liberation of Kobane.
- Millions of children now being instructed in Nazi eugenics techniquesIt has been difficult, again, to keep this information online. Millions of children instructed in Nazi eugenics techniques, from the Royal Society for Arts The ‘Opening Minds’ Science curriculum (established by the Royal Society for the Arts) is clearly instructing children in eugenics techniques. The Royal Society for the Arts has as president the Princess […]
- Wrexham Borras drill site occupied - Please support the campGP Energy (who were bought out by Dart who in turn have been bought out by IGas) applied for planning permission to do an exploratory drill for coal bed methane (CBM) at Borras, Wrexham. Frack-off describes coal bed methane as the evil twin of shale gas. Wrexham council refused the application back in March after at lot of work by local people to educate the […]
- Brief Analysis of Western Anarchist / Leftist Critique of Rojava SolidaritySome brief analysis from Insurrection News of Western / English-speaking world anarchist & leftist criticism / critique of solidarity campaigns for the people of Rojava that have appeared in many counter-information networks recently.
- UG#694 - Social Destabilization Tactics Post 1989 (The Terrifying War On Terror)We look this time at the terrifying reality that is "the war on terror", and the effects of that terror on two target populations - US and UK. Our first speaker, author, academic and activist asks why more US citizens today consider torture acceptable than did during the Bush presidency. Our second speaker, a senior lecturer in Risk and Corporate S […]
- Gun lobby under fire September 7, 1912The gun lobby has today suffered a serious body blow with the publication of two scientifically robust reports that, on the one hand, demolishes claims that ‘sport shooting’ is immensely valuable to the UK economy and, on the other, accuses...
- One-In-Eight British Adults Is Veggie September 7, 1912A survey conducted by Mintel has found that one-in-eight British adults has ditched meat and fish, with that number rising to one-in-five for younger people aged 16-24. The research found that millions more people have also reduced their meat consumpti...
- Government figures on mis-stunning in UK slaughterhouses 'more than 99.99 per cent inaccurate' September 7, 1917Animal Aid says Defra is misleading Parliament and the public with ‘wildly, out-of-the-ball-park, embarrassingly inaccurate’ information When Neil Parish MP was given the government’s official recorded stati...
- Exeter's cruelty-free Christmas extravaganza returns September 7, 1920South West’s first Green MEP to be special guest South West Christmas Without Cruelty Festival 2014 – Saturday 22 November Exeter Corn Exchange Market Street, Exeter, EX1 1BU 10am-4.15pm FREE...
- Charity's attempt to distance itself from cruel animal experiments backfires September 7, 1924The British Heart Foundation’s (BHF) attempt to distance itself from some of the cruel animal experiments uncovered by Animal Aid as part of its Victims of Charity campaign has triggered a major new exposé. This reveals a catalogu...
- RT @taiji_ladm: LONDON AGAINST DOLPHIN MASSACRE NOV 7TH FOR THE BIGGEST PROTEST YET. PLS RT! facebook.com/events/1545547… @Sam10k @OrcaSOS http:… 3 days ago
- RT @SaveAnimalLives: Animal Testing: Why is human mankind doing such a nonsence? It is proven to be useless: tinyurl.com/bglfrzy 3 days ago
- Cages wp.me/pPEwS-2lt 3 days ago
- RT @Gifswd: مبدع 👍 pic.twitter.com/j20BGPK1xV 4 days ago
- Nestle monopoly of plants wp.me/pPEwS-2lr 4 days ago
- Lion Ark secures global distribution wp.me/pPEwS-2lp 5 days ago
- New rabbit investigation: help End the Cage Age wp.me/pPEwS-2l9 5 days ago
- NY Times on horse racing and bear hunting wp.me/pPEwS-2l7 5 days ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- 2014 GSA Annual Meeting October 19, 2014 – October 23, 2014 Vancouver, Canada
- Réunion des Sciences de la Terre (Earth Sciences Meeting) October 27, 2014 – November 1, 2014 Pau, France
- ESA-SOLAS-EGU "Earth Observation for Ocean-Atmosphere Interactions Science 2014 - Responding to the new scientific challenges of SOLAS" October 28, 2014 – November 1, 2014 Frascati, Italy
- Training school "Earthquakes: nucleation, triggering, and relati onship with aseismic prcesses" November 3, 2014 – November 11, 2014 Cargèse, Corsica
- Lithosphere 2014 Symposium November 4, 2014 – November 7, 2014 Turku / Åbo, Finland
- Bonn Climate Change Conference ADP 2-6 October 19, 2014 at 11:00 pm – October 24, 2014 at 11:00 pm , Bonn, Germany
- Webinar - Energy and greenhouse gas efficiency compendium October 22, 2014 at 3:00 pm – 3:45 pm , , United Kingdom
- 40th Session of the IPCC October 27, 2014 at 12:00 am – October 31, 2014 at 12:00 am , Copenhagen, Denmark
- 10th Annual HSE Forum in Energy November 3, 2014 at 9:00 am – November 5, 2014 at 5:00 pm , Doha, Qatar
- IUCN World Parks Congress November 12, 2014 at 12:00 am – November 19, 2014 at 12:00 am , Sydney, Australia
- G20 Leaders Summit November 15, 2014 at 12:00 am – 12:00 am Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre, Brisbane, Australia