Solar-Powered Plane Soars Above Golden Gate
Originally posted on CBS San Francisco:
MOUNTAIN VIEW (CBS SF) – A solar-powered plane with a unique look that took off Tuesday morning from Moffett Airfield in Mountain View passed over the Golden Gate Bridge just after 2 p.m.
The lightweight plane, which has a wingspan of 208 feet, was about 3,000 feet in the air as flew above San Francisco and the bay Tuesday afternoon, said Alexandra Gindroz, spokeswoman for the Swiss firm Solar Impulse, which owns the plane.
The plane, which weighs only about 3,500 pounds, runs completely on power from the sun drawn from 12,000 solar cells on the craft that send energy into batteries that power propellers running on four electric motors, Gindroz said.
[worldnow id=8803472 width=480 height=360 type=video]
Tuesday’s flight is a technical test run to prepare for a planned cross-country trip beginning in early May. On the first leg of the trip, the plane will depart from the Bay Area…
View original 221 more words
- Major worldwide companies failing to address water scarcity October 18, 2012The majority of the world's largest companies lack a long-term water strategy, according to a report from the professional services company KPMG.
- Water bills could quadruple for Irish businesses October 17, 2012The price of water would quadruple in Ireland if European trends are applied, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and it is therefore crucial that businesses tackle water efficiency.
- Sustainable businesses need 'transparent dialogue with stakeholders' October 12, 2012Feedback and the views from stakeholders must be accounted for when businesses develop their sustainability strategies, says Asia Pulp & Paper's (APP) sustainability manager.
- Audi powers up with biofuels from wastewater October 10, 2012Audi is pioneering the development of eco-fuels from wastewater which will offer sustainable alternatives to petrol and diesel.
- PUMA costs out environmental 'calories' of its products October 9, 2012PUMA has scaled up its environmental profit and loss (EP&L) reporting to a product level, effectively putting a carbon 'price tag' on the shoes and clothing it produces.
- Robotic recycling firm set for high powered growth September 27, 2012ZenRobotics has secured €13m in investment funding to grow and commercialise its robotic waste recycling system, following the sale of its first ZenRobotics Recycler in a deal worth €1m.
- Eight major UK renewable energy projects receive government backing April 23, 2014Five offshore windfarms and three biomass projects will provide millions of homes with clean power Continue reading...Adam Vaughan
- Snowdonia hydro-turbine marks major National Trust green energy project April 23, 2014Power from at Hafod y Llan in Snowdonia will be sold via the grid to a green energy firm and the money invested in conservation Continue reading...Jessica Aldred
- Climate change is the fight of our lives yet we can hardly bear to look at it April 23, 2014We're products of an industrial project, a project linked to fossil fuels. But humans have changed before and can change again Continue reading...Naomi Klein
- Nearly 40 rhino horns stolen in South Africa April 22, 2014Robbers broke into parks office in northeastern city of Nelspruit, stealing horns worth a fortune on illegal wildlife market Continue reading...Associated Press
- Conservationists and marksmen of Malta battle over annual bird hunt April 20, 2014Hunters try to block referendum on traditional spring shoot, while British volunteers help patrol countryside to protect birds Continue reading...Patrick Barkham in Malta
- Shark cull to be assessed by Western Australias environmental watchdog April 23, 2014Environmental Protection Authority will evaluate the WA governments plan to resume the cull on 15 November Continue reading...Oliver Milman
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office:During working hours:0131 243 2719Out of hours:0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- About Us August 11, 2009We are a campaigning organisation that appeals to all walks of life with a shared vision of a better place to live. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Solidarity with AR Prisoner Debbie Vincent!'If you don't fight, you've already lost': Animal rights activist facing six years in jail remains defiant April 17, 2014
- UKIP launches Euro elections campaign in Sheffield 22/04/14Nigel Farage will launch his European election campaign at a rally in Sheffield today.
- ARMS DEALERS ON TRIAL DEMO Outside Thames Magistrates Court at 9am on ThursdayCourt demonstration as arms dealers face private prosecution
- Support the SOCPA 7Over recent years there have been many attempts to stop UK activists protesting against Europe’s largest animal testing laboratory; Huntingdon Life Sciences. Activists have been arrested, raided, imprisoned and banned from taking part in the campaign.
- Espionage & Brain-Computer Interfaces - Modern Warfare SeriesA summary of a four year investigatory series into human medical torture program operated by the US government that seeks to interface computers and human by means of radio.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Gays Use Their Bodies 'In Ways They're Not Supposed To,' According To Scott Lively huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/11/sco… 1 week ago
- RT @AmyRoseKathryn: Celebrate National Dolphin Day With A Look At These Unique Dolphin Species m.huffpost.com/us/entry/51469… http://t.co/1PG4cAelEA 1 week ago
- RT @ashleyortwine: If you haven't watched Blackfish, please do. It'll give you a new perspective on sea world. 1 week ago
- Whole Natural Dark Chia Seeds (1kg) @Amazon amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EQCWORA 1 week ago
- Call to review pet rabbit protection bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla… 1 week ago
- EU 'must lead' climate change fight bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politi… 1 week ago
- Sheepwrecked – Environmentalists v Farmers wp.me/pPEwS-2ec 1 week ago
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/TiIxdaajYYs?a Magic Bullet or NutriBullet Which One Should I Buy 1 week ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
- against EU austerity April 29, 2014 at 6:00 pm Ruskin College
- May Day march & rally May 3, 2014 at 10:30 am meet at Manzil Way
Climate Change Events
- Wave Interaction - 2014 April 23, 2014 – April 27, 2014 Linz, Austria
- Operational Techniques in Volcanic Hazard Assessment April 24, 2014 – April 26, 2014 Vienna, Austria
- EGU General Assembly 2014 April 27, 2014 – May 3, 2014 Vienna, Austria
- JpGU Meeting 2014 April 28, 2014 – May 3, 2014 Yokohama, Japan
- 2014 Geomorphic Change Detection (GCD) Workshop April 29, 2014 – May 2, 2014 Logan, Utah, USA
- Social Investment Performance April 29, 2014 at 8:30 am – 10:30 am , Webinar Online, United Kingdom
- International Oil Spill Conference 2014 May 4, 2014 at 11:00 pm – May 7, 2014 at 11:00 pm Savannah International Trade & Convention Center, Savannah, Georgia, United n States
- Sustainability Exchange 2014: Transformation through Collaboration May 21, 2014 at 8:00 am – May 22, 2014 at 4:00 pm , Washington D.C., United States
- SPE Applying the Best Technologies in Extremely Sensitive Environments n Workshop May 27, 2014 at 8:00 am – May 29, 2014 at 4:00 pm , , Ecuador
- SPE Africa HSE Conference and Exhibition June 10, 2014 at 8:00 am – June 12, 2014 at 4:00 pm Safari Park Hotel, Nairobi, Kenya
- 21st World Petroleum Congress June 15, 2014 at 8:00 am – June 19, 2014 at 4:00 pm , Moscow, Russia