Best Advice for Dumpster Divers
Originally posted on Profane Existence:
Dumpster diving can be a blast, and a great way to get healthy food for many of us who were not born into class privilege. I don’t dumpster dive as much as I use to, but I have been doing it off and on since I first lived in a squat on the streets of edmonton, in 1996 at the age of 16.
I also have many friends and roommates who do the dive, and as awesome as it can be I have notice a few common trends and I feel like some folks might benefit from a little basic advice.
In Grime We Crust?
1) While there is many treasures to be found in the garbage, not everything in the bins is treasure. Often things belong in the garbage, sometimes way before they were ever thrown out. Products like Sunny D, or “Orange Beverage” which is…
View original 1,230 more words
- McDonald's posts update on its global zero waste drive August 15, 2014McDonald's has revealed progress on waste minimisation across its global operations including a specific reverse logistics initiative in the UK where it is working to send zero waste to landfill.
- Big business increasingly being held to account on climate from shareholders August 15, 2014Twenty global corporations have set goals to cut GHG emissions and source sustainable palm oil to in response to 150 climate-related resolutions filed by their shareholders this year.
- PepsiCo set to launch soft drink made from cashew fruit waste August 14, 2014PepsiCo plans to create a new soft drink using what has traditionally been an agricultural waste product - juice obtained from cashew apples.
- Caterpillar seeks to push remanufacture into restricted markets August 14, 2014Caterpillar is examining how it can increase global access to its remanufactured products, especially in developing markets where trade barriers exist.
- Construction firms urged to rethink buildings as 'material banks' for circular gain August 13, 2014The construction industry has a great opportunity to enter the circular economy space by viewing buildings as material banks, a real estate developer has said.
- Unilever eyes non-pesticide methods of tea crop protection August 4, 2014Unilever is initiating a major scientific study to evaluate the feasibility of applying biological methods for plant protection of tea crops in India.
- UK lobbying to keep open one of Europe's dirtiest coal power stations August 19, 2014Government seeks exemption from European law that would close down Aberthaw for its excessive nitrogen oxide emissions Continue reading...Karl Mathiesen
- Earth sliding into ecological debt earlier and earlier, campaigners warn August 19, 2014World has already exhausted a years supply of natural resources in less than eight months, Global Footprint Network says Continue reading...Press Association
- Why George Monbiot is wrong: grazing livestock can save the world August 19, 2014L Hunter Lovins: George Monbiots recent criticism of Allan Savorys theory that grazing livestock can reverse climate change ignores evidence that its already experiencing successGeorge Monbiot: Eat more meat and save the world: the latest implausible farming miracle Continue reading...L Hunter Lovins
- Ultrasound used as latest weapon to combat chlamydia in koala population August 19, 2014New diagnosis tool for disease that causes blindness and infertility and affects up to 90% of koalas in some locations is quicker than conventional testing methods Continue reading...Oliver Milman
- UK energy dependence five hidden costs expose truth about fracking August 18, 2014The shale boom is a bubble waiting to burst as economics of extraction falter and the trickle of bad environmental news starts to swell Continue reading...Jeremy Leggett
- The intoxication of the speckled wood butterfly August 20, 2014Wenlock Edge: Drunk and disorderly, he wavers through the air until he catches the whiff of ripeness, finds the fruit and locks on Continue reading...Paul Evans
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- About Us August 11, 2009We are a campaigning organisation that appeals to all walks of life with a shared vision of a better place to live. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- A Way Out of the Embassy for Julian Assange?Report on Monday's press conference at the Ecuadorian Embassy in London called by Julian Assange of WikiLeaks and the Ecuadorian Foreign Minister that triggered wild speculation that Assange was about to surrender to the police outside the embassy on account of ill health. Read on....
- Neither Ukrainian nor Russian!Let’s develop our own camp, the third camp, that of social revolution!
- Protection for whistleblowers: day of actionThe Whistler, a fellowship alliance that brings together Compassion in Care, Cure the NHS, the Courage Foundation and the Centre for Investigative Journalism (CIJ) is organising a silent protest to stop the abuse of whistleblowers.
- Stop Killing People You Twats – Benefit Comp for Stop Nato CymruBenifit Comp
- Stop NATO Cymru launch #NatoCopWatch campaign against police harassmentOnline campaign: NATO Cop Watch
- Royal Ascot Update: Death Toll Rises to Four July 8, 1918It has been announced today (7 August) that young filly Inchila has been destroyed after she was unable to recover from a fractured pelvis sustained during a race at Royal Ascot this year. This brings the 2014 Royal Meeting’s equine de...
- Two farmers prosecuted for neglecting animals July 8, 1918A farmer in Yorkshire has been jailed for 16 weeks after 350 dead and dying animals were discovered at his farm, whilst another farmer in Wales has had his animals seized after they were found to be neglected and underfed. James Linsley, who ...
- The Inglorious Twelfth July 9, 1923Please take action now to curb out-of-control grouse shoot owners. August 12th – the so-called Glorious ...
- BBC documentary reveals health impacts of meat July 8, 1930Despite trying to remain impartial throughout, the first part of the BBC’s documentary ‘Horizon: Should I Eat Meat?’ (18 August) showed in no uncertain terms that current meat consumption levels in the UK are unhealthy, especially tho...
- Keep animals cool in hot weather June 7, 1933With the recent arrival of hot weather, we should be reminded that animals suffer and die when temperatures rise. Dogs die very quickly in hot cars and they should not be left inside them even for very short periods. Opening a window a few inches is no...
- RT @EcoClimateSolut: Ethanol the #renewable #fuel ecoclimatesolutions.com/2012/06/ethano… #fossilfuels #eco #green #energy #bio #earth #earthfriendly #save… 18 hours ago
- I'm looking for free Tow bar for Freelander @ bit.ly/1szhAuW 1 week ago
- I'm giving away free Upright Hoover @ bit.ly/1rmCIA5 1 week ago
- RT @Shell: Can NYC win its fight with pollution by 2030? Find out here po.st/BeyWcB. Let’s Go. amp.twimg.com/v/1cac694a-105… 1 week ago
- RT @guardian: Rescuing orphaned baby elephants in Kenya - in pictures gu.com/p/4vkt2/tw 1 week ago
- RT @mckee_sharon: TACN need your support! tacn.org Hope for all the wee souls of the #dogmeattrade http://t.co/5ffqBgNkHV 1 week ago
- @mckee_sharon 1 week ago
- RT @EcoWatch: Groundbreaking Settlement Ends Uncontrolled Oil Leaks at Eight of Nation’s Biggest Dams ow.ly/zZFwH @globalactplan… 1 week ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
- Our Jerusalem: Art work by Jordanian Children August 18, 2014 at 6:00 pm – September 12, 2014 at 6:00 pm Gallery Wall Oxford Central Library
Climate Change Events
- The first World Weather Open Science Conference (WWOSC-2014) August 16, 2014 – August 22, 2014 Montréal, Canada
- GRC Evolving Rock Structure: From Grain-Scale to Planet-Scale August 17, 2014 – August 23, 2014 Andover, USA
- 19th International Sedimentological Congress August 18, 2014 – August 23, 2014 Geneva, Switzerland
- 4th Atlantic Conjugate Margins Conference August 20, 2014 – August 23, 2014 St. John’s, NL Canada
- 22nd EM Induction Workshop Weimar, Germany 24 – 30 August 2014 August 24, 2014 – August 31, 2014 Weimar, Germany
- World Water Week 2014 August 30, 2014 at 11:00 pm – September 4, 2014 at 11:00 pm Stockholmsmässan, Stockholm, Sweden
- Seminar on oil spill response science and technology September 2, 2014 at 7:30 am – September 3, 2014 at 5:30 pm , Yantai, China
- Training course for level 3 commanders of oil spill response September 4, 2014 at 7:00 am – September 5, 2014 at 5:00 pm , Yantai, China
- The SPE African HSE Conference and Exhibition 2014 September 15, 2014 at 8:15 am – September 17, 2014 at 4:15 pm , Maputo, Mozambique
- CSR Asia Summit 2014 September 16, 2014 at 8:00 am – September 17, 2014 at 4:00 pm Kowloon Shangri-La , , Hong Kong
- African Regional Forum on Business and Human Rights September 16, 2014 at 8:00 am – September 18, 2014 at 4:00 pm , Addis Ababa, Ethiopia