Best Advice for Dumpster Divers
Originally posted on Profane Existence:
Dumpster diving can be a blast, and a great way to get healthy food for many of us who were not born into class privilege. I don’t dumpster dive as much as I use to, but I have been doing it off and on since I first lived in a squat on the streets of edmonton, in 1996 at the age of 16.
I also have many friends and roommates who do the dive, and as awesome as it can be I have notice a few common trends and I feel like some folks might benefit from a little basic advice.
In Grime We Crust?
1) While there is many treasures to be found in the garbage, not everything in the bins is treasure. Often things belong in the garbage, sometimes way before they were ever thrown out. Products like Sunny D, or “Orange Beverage” which is…
View original 1,230 more words
- White House announces green energy boost, cracks down on HFCs September 19, 2014The Obama administration has unveiled a series of public and private sector commitments to advance solar deployment, promote energy efficiency and reduce emissions of hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) throughout the US.
- Solarcentury to build Africa's largest solar carport September 19, 2014UK solar company Solarcentury has been commissioned to design and construct Africa's largest solar carport on the uppermost storey of a car park at Garden City Mall, Nairobi.
- Orange Business Services steps up e-waste recycling September 18, 2014Global IT and communications firm Orange Business Services has partnered with recycling specialist Stone Group to recycle its end-of-life hardware and dispose of its data-bearing ICT securely, in line with EU data laws.
- Krispy Kreme follows competitor into sustainable palm oil commitment September 18, 2014US doughnut supplier Krispy Kreme has made a pledge to only source 100% responsible, deforestation-free palm oil less than 24 hours after rival firm Dunkin' Donuts made its own commitment.
- Big business leads the way on carbon pricing September 17, 2014Major corporations are outpacing governments by preparing for a financial future with carbon pricing.
- H&M's 'Conscious Denim' range unveiled to tackle water and energy use September 16, 2014Clothing giant H&M has launched a new range of denim made from more sustainable material that has been graded to assess its environmental impact.
- World population to hit 11bn in 2100 with 70% chance of continuous rise September 18, 2014New study overturns 20 years of consensus on peak projection of 9bn and gradual decline Continue reading...Damian Carrington
- This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs the Climate by Naomi Klein review September 19, 2014Klein wants this book to be read by people who don't read climate-change books it addresses a potential catastrophe yet is calm and welcoming Continue reading...Jenny Turner
- High air pollution levels hit south-east England September 18, 2014Dirty air a result of weeks of low pressure which has drawn in pollution from the continent, Met Office says Continue reading...Fiona Harvey
- Sea, sand and gannets September 19, 2014Berneray, North Uist: Turning back into the path that passes through the maze of high dunes is like walking into a wind tunnel Continue reading...Christine Smith
- Rewilding Britain: bringing wolves, bears and beavers back to the land September 19, 2014Introducing extinct species to the landscape is called rewilding and advocates enthuse about the benefits. But opponents fear the impact could be devastating Continue reading...Adam Vaughan
- Green groups accused of trashing Queensland's reputation overseas September 19, 2014State environment minister claims the main aim of conservation groups is to shut down Queenslands resource industry Continue reading...Australian Associated Press
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- About Us August 11, 2009We are a campaigning organisation that appeals to all walks of life with a shared vision of a better place to live. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- The Anarchist Guide to IS PsychologyI pretend to put myself behind you in order to make me appear bigger than I really am. (Pretend, because since the Obama-Morales affair airspace servitude is recognized as the unequivocal hallmark of vassal states, and in this instance it is not the case.) With this clownish gesture the Damascus regime has exposed the phoney coalition of hate mongers that th […]
- Independent Film and Media CollectiveLooking for people to help in the formation and running of a new autonomous film and media collective in the North-East.
- UG#691 - Big Drugs,Big Money& Big Guns (Deep State from Afghanistan to Susurluk)We begin a new series this week, looking at the global drug trade and its key role in funding deep state groups. We begin with an expert on the Asian drug trade, Alfred McCoy. His 2010 talk, "Low-Intensity Conflict in the Drug Wars" focuses on opium production and its relationship to the proxy wars being fought in Afghanistan. We follow the heroin […]
- MFE RIP!The annual mass anti-fascist mobilisation in Brighton opposing March For England has been cancelled for 2015. Join me now in a stroll down MFE Memory Lane!
- French Theatre company coming to Oxfordshire with UK premiereFrench Theatre company Compagnie Animotion will be swimming the channel to bring you their bicycle filled extravaganza in October. Cie Animotion have been making highly visual theatre since 2004, accessible to both Deaf and hearing communities.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- I'm giving away free Light brown carpet @ bit.ly/1uLsQSt 6 days ago
- Coal and the power companies wp.me/pPEwS-2jE 1 week ago
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/3iM9Xl0a7cU?a Glasgow Rangers - Penny Arcade 1 week ago
- Mining................. wp.me/sPEwS-mining 1 week ago
- University of Washington. Shame on YOU. wp.me/pPEwS-2jC 1 week ago
- Exploitation wp.me/pPEwS-2js 2 weeks ago
- Denmark, One Of The Countries Where It’s Still Legal To Have Sex With An Animal. wp.me/pPEwS-2jo 2 weeks ago
- Say “No” to Ice Bucket Challenge wp.me/pPEwS-2jn 2 weeks ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- Geospace revisited: a Cluster /MAARBLE /Van Allen Probes Conferenc e September 15, 2014 – September 21, 2014 Island of Rhodes, Greece
- Topo-Europe 2014: Interplay between surface, lithospheric, and m antle processes September 17, 2014 – September 20, 2014 Barcelona, Spain
- Multiproxy approach to the reconstruction of the Pliocene climate workshop September 17, 2014 – September 20, 2014 Barcelona, Spain
- Autumn School: Data Assimilation in Biogeochemical Cycles September 20, 2014 – September 28, 2014 Trieste, Italy
- GeoFrankfurt 2014 September 21, 2014 – September 25, 2014 Frankfurt, Germany
- 7th edition of the Middle East Health, Safety, Environment and Sustainable n Development Conference September 21, 2014 at 11:00 pm – September 23, 2014 at 11:00 pm Qatar National Convention Centre, , Qatar
- United Nations World Conference on Indigenous Peoples September 22, 2014 at 8:00 am – September 23, 2014 at 4:00 pm , New York, United States
- SPE Middle East Health, Safety, Environment & Sustainable Development n Conference & Exhibition September 22, 2014 at 8:00 am – September 24, 2014 at 4:00 pm Qatar National Convention Centre, Doha, Qatar
- United Nations Climate Summit 2014 September 23, 2014 at 7:30 am – 6:30 pm UN Headquarters, New York, United States
- IPCC Fifth Assessment Report business engagement workshop September 24, 2014 at 6:00 pm – 4:00 pm JW Marriott Washington DC, Washington DC, United States
- Convention on Biological Diversity COP-12 October 5, 2014 at 11:00 pm – October 16, 2014 at 11:00 pm , Pyeongchang, Korea (South)