Idaho to kill 2 wolf packs in National Wilderness Area
Recently, we learned that the Idaho Department of Fish and Game had hired a trapper to go into the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness Area to kill every member of the Golden and Monumental wolf packs.
Astoundingly, the United States Forest Service (USFS) is acquiescing to Idaho and letting that state’s hired trapper stay in its ranger cabins and use its federally-funded airfield. This appalling betrayal of public trust must be immediately rectified and not repeated.
The Idaho Department of Fish and Game contends it needs to kill all of the wolves from these two packs in order to bolster elk herds for recreational hunting. The shocking arrogance of the state of Idaho even requesting to access a U.S. Wilderness Area to destroy two wolf packs entirely is staggering. The capitulation by the US Forest Service is disappointing and not in keeping with the proud history of the agency. It is in complete contrast to the slogan of the National Wilderness Preservation System to “Keep Wilderness Wild”.
Ironically, the area that the Idaho Department of Fish and Game have sent their hired trapper is named after one of the original sponsors of the Wilderness Act, Senator Frank Church. Undoubtedly, Senator Church would look unkindly upon the abandonment of responsibility by USFS Chief Thomas Tidwell in granting nearly unrestrained access to what is little more than a freelance wildlife exterminator.
- Good, better, best: Whole Foods launches rating system for environmental impact of produce October 17, 2014Whole Foods Market has introduced the Responsibly Grown produce rating system which assesses the impact of farming practices on the environment and human health.
- FCC Environmental US division sold for €70m October 17, 2014Leading waste management firm FCC Environmental has today (17 October) announced it is selling its division in the US to cleaning and waste management firm Heritage-Crystal Clean.
- Sustainability stats: The week in numbers (17/10/14) October 17, 2014What great data did we see in the past seven days? In the third edition of a new series, edie takes a look-back at some of the fascinating figures from the worlds of energy, waste and water.
- Profit or planet? Global index reveals economic benefits of sustainable business October 15, 2014A new study has revealed that carbon-conscious companies are proving to be more profitable than their more polluting rivals.
- Businesses 'must close the skills gap' to survive sustainable economy October 15, 2014A mere 13% of businesses are confident they have the skills to successfully compete in a sustainable economy, according to a new survey by the Institute of Environmental Management & Assessment (IEMA).
- Clean energy investment poised for first increase since 2011 October 15, 2014The global market for sustainable technology is booming, with investment in the clean energy sector worth £34bn in Q3 2014, according to a report released today by Clean Energy Pipeline, the financial news and data service.
- 2014 on track to be hottest year on record, says US science agency October 20, 2014Global average temperatures in September were highest ever, following warmest year to date since 1998 Continue reading...Suzanne Goldenberg
- Denmark's plan to offset transport emissions sparks EU row October 20, 2014Green champions push to funnel car emissions into the emissions trading system seen as attempt to bend rules Continue reading...Arthur Neslen
- While Didcot B burned, renewable energy powered on October 20, 2014Fire at Oxfordshire power station is a reminder of the energy security risks of centralised fossil fuel power and that all energy sources suffer from intermittency Continue reading...Damian Carrington
- 'Build bridges for Lima climate talks' October 20, 2014UN climate chief Christiana Figueres urges delegates to work towards achieving a historic pact in Paris in 2015 Continue reading...Agence France-Presse
- Amazon deforestation picking up pace, satellite data reveals October 19, 2014Data indicates 190% rise in land clearance in August and September compared with same period last year Continue reading...Jonathan Watts in Rio de Janeiro
- Attack of the killer spiders and other stories sure to upset all arachnophobes October 20, 2014A deadly spider crawling over your bananas is the last thing you want to see, but if youre terrified of the eight-legged horrors, just reading the press reports about it is almost as bad Continue reading...Chitra Ramaswamy
- Better Banks January 23, 2013Short title: Better Banks We're on our way to a better financial system. Find out how you can help us make better banks. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Turkey : Armed Manifestation In Support Of KobaneArmed militants appeared on the streets of Diyarbakır, Southeastern Turkey tonight (20/10/2014) in a demonstration of combative solidarity with Kobane and in complete defiance of the fascist Turkish government.
- Protest at Green Investment Bank 2nd BirthdayBiofuelwatch, the London Biomassive and UKWIN will be protesting outside the Green Investment Bank's 2nd Birthday Celebrations at 5pm on Tuesday 29 October at 2 King Edward St, nr St Paul's, EC2A 1HQ. We will be targetting GIB's wilful, ongoing, investment in Big Biomass and Waste Incineration. See https://www.facebook.com/events/150105384347 […]
- War Against ISIS / Daesh : ColdHackers Hijack Turkish Regime FB AccountsOnce again the comrades from revolutionary Kurdish hacking collective ColdHackers have gone into action and attacked the online presence of the murderous and cowardly Turkish regime in solidarity with their YPG / YPJ brothers & sisters who are fighting for Rojava and the total liberation of Kobane.
- Millions of children now being instructed in Nazi eugenics techniquesIt has been difficult, again, to keep this information online. Millions of children instructed in Nazi eugenics techniques, from the Royal Society for Arts The ‘Opening Minds’ Science curriculum (established by the Royal Society for the Arts) is clearly instructing children in eugenics techniques. The Royal Society for the Arts has as president the Princess […]
- Wrexham Borras drill site occupied - Please support the campGP Energy (who were bought out by Dart who in turn have been bought out by IGas) applied for planning permission to do an exploratory drill for coal bed methane (CBM) at Borras, Wrexham. Frack-off describes coal bed methane as the evil twin of shale gas. Wrexham council refused the application back in March after at lot of work by local people to educate the […]
- Gun lobby under fire September 7, 1912The gun lobby has today suffered a serious body blow with the publication of two scientifically robust reports that, on the one hand, demolishes claims that ‘sport shooting’ is immensely valuable to the UK economy and, on the other, accuses...
- One-In-Eight British Adults Is Veggie September 7, 1912A survey conducted by Mintel has found that one-in-eight British adults has ditched meat and fish, with that number rising to one-in-five for younger people aged 16-24. The research found that millions more people have also reduced their meat consumpti...
- Government figures on mis-stunning in UK slaughterhouses 'more than 99.99 per cent inaccurate' September 7, 1917Animal Aid says Defra is misleading Parliament and the public with ‘wildly, out-of-the-ball-park, embarrassingly inaccurate’ information When Neil Parish MP was given the government’s official recorded stati...
- Exeter's cruelty-free Christmas extravaganza returns September 7, 1920South West’s first Green MEP to be special guest South West Christmas Without Cruelty Festival 2014 – Saturday 22 November Exeter Corn Exchange Market Street, Exeter, EX1 1BU 10am-4.15pm FREE...
- Charity's attempt to distance itself from cruel animal experiments backfires September 7, 1924The British Heart Foundation’s (BHF) attempt to distance itself from some of the cruel animal experiments uncovered by Animal Aid as part of its Victims of Charity campaign has triggered a major new exposé. This reveals a catalogu...
- RT @taiji_ladm: LONDON AGAINST DOLPHIN MASSACRE NOV 7TH FOR THE BIGGEST PROTEST YET. PLS RT! facebook.com/events/1545547… @Sam10k @OrcaSOS http:… 4 days ago
- RT @SaveAnimalLives: Animal Testing: Why is human mankind doing such a nonsence? It is proven to be useless: tinyurl.com/bglfrzy 4 days ago
- Cages wp.me/pPEwS-2lt 4 days ago
- RT @Gifswd: مبدع 👍 pic.twitter.com/j20BGPK1xV 5 days ago
- Nestle monopoly of plants wp.me/pPEwS-2lr 5 days ago
- Lion Ark secures global distribution wp.me/pPEwS-2lp 6 days ago
- New rabbit investigation: help End the Cage Age wp.me/pPEwS-2l9 6 days ago
- NY Times on horse racing and bear hunting wp.me/pPEwS-2l7 6 days ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- 2014 GSA Annual Meeting October 19, 2014 – October 23, 2014 Vancouver, Canada
- Réunion des Sciences de la Terre (Earth Sciences Meeting) October 27, 2014 – November 1, 2014 Pau, France
- ESA-SOLAS-EGU "Earth Observation for Ocean-Atmosphere Interactions Science 2014 - Responding to the new scientific challenges of SOLAS" October 28, 2014 – November 1, 2014 Frascati, Italy
- Training school "Earthquakes: nucleation, triggering, and relati onship with aseismic prcesses" November 3, 2014 – November 11, 2014 Cargèse, Corsica
- Lithosphere 2014 Symposium November 4, 2014 – November 7, 2014 Turku / Åbo, Finland
- Webinar - Energy and greenhouse gas efficiency compendium October 22, 2014 at 3:00 pm – 3:45 pm , , United Kingdom
- 40th Session of the IPCC October 27, 2014 at 12:00 am – October 31, 2014 at 12:00 am , Copenhagen, Denmark
- 10th Annual HSE Forum in Energy November 3, 2014 at 9:00 am – November 5, 2014 at 5:00 pm , Doha, Qatar
- IUCN World Parks Congress November 12, 2014 at 12:00 am – November 19, 2014 at 12:00 am , Sydney, Australia
- G20 Leaders Summit November 15, 2014 at 12:00 am – 12:00 am Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre, Brisbane, Australia
- Third United Nations Forum on Business and Human Rights December 1, 2014 at 9:00 am – December 3, 2014 at 5:00 pm Palais des Nations, Geneva, Switzerland