Can you design a phone that’ll be used longer? A refrigerator that discourages food waste? Play the sustainability card game
Originally posted on TED Blog:
Leyla Acaroglu aims to make people think about how the choices they make on a daily basis affect the environment. And she aims to make thinking about this fun. In today’s TED Talk, Acaroglu turns her attention to four bits of “environmental folklore,” like the idea that it’s more environmentally sound to opt for the paper bag over the plastic one. [ted_talkteaser id=1926]By engaging people’s sense of play, Acaroglu and her team at the design consultancy Eco Innovators aim to get individuals and companies looking at the full life cycle of the products in order to make the kind of savvy decisions that can actually effect change.
This week, Eco Innovators held an “E-Waste Autopsy” at the National Gallery of Victoria in Australia, where passerbys dissected keyboards and computer mice…
View original 270 more words
- Central American farmers generate energy from coffee wastewater August 27, 2014The 'Energy from Coffee Wastewater' project has proven that it is possible to generate energy, tackle climate change and protect water resources by treating discharges from coffee mills.
- The Positive Cup: Nespresso ploughs £330m into sustainable development August 27, 2014Nestle's coffee brand is accelerating its sustainability focus with the launch of an ambitious new programme to become 'carbon neutral' by 2020.
- VIDEO: Empire State Building takes energy efficiency to new heights August 26, 2014The world's most famous office building is reaping the benefits of its innovative energy efficiency programme with a saving of almost $3m in 2013.
- Coca-Cola rapped for using too much water August 26, 2014Coca-Cola has been labelled a 'shameless and unethical company' after being forced to abandon a new $25m bottling plant in northern India because it was extracting too much groundwater.
- Architects pledge to phase out carbon in the built environment by 2050 August 21, 2014Architects across the world have signed up to a global commitment to eliminate CO2 emissions in the built environment by 2050.
- Businesses wake up to financial benefits of sustainability August 21, 2014The advantages of running a strong corporate social responsibility (CSR) programme are becoming more tangible for businesses, with cost management emerging as the number one driver for firms looking to adopt more sustainable businesses practices.
- Big power out, solar in: UBS urges investors to join renewables revolution August 27, 2014Worlds largest private bank predicts large-scale power stations will soon make way for electric cars and new solar technologies Continue reading...John Vidal
- Do dams destroy rivers? August 27, 2014A new study has found links between dams and the declining health of river systems. With your help, Karl Mathiesen investigates whether dams are killing the worlds great rivers.Post your thoughts in the comments below, email firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet @karlmathiesen Continue reading...Karl Mathiesen
- New coal power stations threat to EUs emissions target August 27, 2014Burning Europes lignite reserves would wipe out carbon budget from 2020 until the end of the century, says Greenpeace Continue reading...Karl Mathiesen
- Rainbow world: the most colourful places on Earth in pictures August 27, 2014The world is full of landscapes that are so surreal, and so intensely coloured, that its hard to believe they really exist. Take a look at some of the strangest, and most vibrant, views in the world, from a pink lake in Senegal to striped rock formations in China Continue reading...Sarah Gilbert
- Barrier Reef: government MP says he 'got it wrong' on dredging spoil support August 27, 2014Australian MP George Christensen writes open letter, saying he has started looking at options to dump dredging spoil on land Continue reading...Oliver Milman
- Giant wasps' nest found growing on single bed in spare bedroom August 27, 2014Nest in Winchester home measured 3ft x 1.5ft and housed 5,000 wasps, which had chewed through mattress and pillows to build it Continue reading...Agency
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- About Us August 11, 2009We are a campaigning organisation that appeals to all walks of life with a shared vision of a better place to live. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Police raid server, Bristol IMC closing downBristol Indymedia site is now officially closed for good following a police raid targeting an anarchist group.
- List of voters in Colorado, U.S.A. (public record)A public record of voters in Colorado, U.S.A.
- Snitch-jacketing in our movements: time to stop destructive rumoursUnfounded rumours are destroying the reputations of activists without good reason. In the following statement the Activist Security collective is saying that not only do we need to check this behaviour, but that people who continue to spread unfounded rumours about individuals after they’ve been asked to stop will be publicly named.
- Paul Oxberry a National Front and EDL supporter charged for assaulting partnerPaul Oxberry a National Front member and EDL supporter from Newcastle has just been sent to court for assaulting his pregnant partner.
- Leaked docs expose cosy relationships among corporates, Rotarians and frackersCopies of documents apparently leaked from North and Western Lancashire Chamber of Commerce illustrate the role they play in promoting corporate interests and networking among the upper classes.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Climate wp.me/pPEwS-2iC 12 hours ago
- RT @terracelinks: Celtic vs Rangers 80s #rangersicf #icf #amf #footballhooligans http://t.co/axaElDYs2b 12 hours ago
- RT @VoiceAndColour: 3 page interview with Airdrie United firm "Section B" in the #ultras mag sheroes.eu. order it online #AMF htt… 12 hours ago
- just deleted a load of animal rights organisations/activists as they have not followed back. Thought the whole idea was to share info. 19 hours ago
- Dog fighting must end now. wp.me/pPEwS-2iA 1 day ago
- RT @PamelaDAnderson: Please help rats & bunnies @drharshvardhan. Ban sale of animal-tested cosmetics in India! Friends you can help: http:/… 1 day ago
- Climate wp.me/sPEwS-climate 1 day ago
- Dairy Cruelty wp.me/pPEwS-2iw 2 days ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
- Our Jerusalem: Art work by Jordanian Children August 18, 2014 at 6:00 pm – September 12, 2014 at 6:00 pm Gallery Wall Oxford Central Library
Climate Change Events
- 22nd EM Induction Workshop Weimar, Germany 24 – 30 August 2014 August 24, 2014 – August 31, 2014 Weimar, Germany
- Short Course in Climate Extremes Analysis August 27, 2014 – August 30, 2014 Hannover, Germany
- BIT's 4th Annual World Congress of Agriculture 2014 August 29, 2014 – September 1, 2014 Changchun, China
- 24th European Cosmic Ray Symposium (ECRS2014) September 1, 2014 – September 6, 2014 Kiel, Germany
- GeoMod 2014 September 1, 2014 – September 6, 2014 Berlin, Germany
- World Water Week 2014 August 30, 2014 at 11:00 pm – September 4, 2014 at 11:00 pm Stockholmsmässan, Stockholm, Sweden
- Seminar on oil spill response science and technology September 2, 2014 at 7:30 am – September 3, 2014 at 5:30 pm , Yantai, China
- Training course for level 3 commanders of oil spill response September 4, 2014 at 7:00 am – September 5, 2014 at 5:00 pm , Yantai, China
- The SPE African HSE Conference and Exhibition 2014 September 15, 2014 at 8:15 am – September 17, 2014 at 4:15 pm , Maputo, Mozambique
- African Regional Forum on Business and Human Rights September 16, 2014 at 8:00 am – September 18, 2014 at 4:00 pm , Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- CSR Asia Summit 2014 September 16, 2014 at 8:00 am – September 17, 2014 at 4:00 pm Kowloon Shangri-La , , Hong Kong