Can you design a phone that’ll be used longer? A refrigerator that discourages food waste? Play the sustainability card game
Originally posted on TED Blog:
Leyla Acaroglu aims to make people think about how the choices they make on a daily basis affect the environment. And she aims to make thinking about this fun. In today’s TED Talk, Acaroglu turns her attention to four bits of “environmental folklore,” like the idea that it’s more environmentally sound to opt for the paper bag over the plastic one. [ted_talkteaser id=1926]By engaging people’s sense of play, Acaroglu and her team at the design consultancy Eco Innovators aim to get individuals and companies looking at the full life cycle of the products in order to make the kind of savvy decisions that can actually effect change.
This week, Eco Innovators held an “E-Waste Autopsy” at the National Gallery of Victoria in Australia, where passerbys dissected keyboards and computer mice…
View original 270 more words
- H&M launches 'Conscious Denim' range to tackle water and energy use September 16, 2014Clothing giant H&M has launched a new range of denim made from more sustainable material that has been graded to assess its environmental impact.
- Environmentalist super-group calls for fossil fuel divestment September 15, 2014A collection of 160 of the world's top environmentalists have taken a full page advert in the New York Times to call on philanthropists and charities to use their funds to tackle global warming ahead of next week's UN Climate Summit in New York.
- World's most sustainable businesses revealed September 12, 2014Unilever, Siemens and Akzo Nobel are among 24 companies that have been topped their respective industries in the prestigious Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI) review.
- Unilever's Climate Summit campaign goes viral September 12, 2014A digital awareness campaign which aims to encourage global leaders to adopt a more ambitious and urgent approach to addressing climate change has surpassed expectations ahead of the United Nations Climate Summit in New York.
- VIDEO: Shell unveils world's first football pitch to be powered by players' footsteps September 11, 2014Oil giant Shell has installed 200 kinetic energy tiles at a community football pitch in the Morro da Mineira favela near Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Google's green credentials boosted with giant solar project September 11, 2014Google has announced it is putting forward $145m to fund a new 82MW solar power plant in California, marking the IT giant's 17th investment in renewable energy projects since 2010.
- Climate change report: prevent damage by overhauling global economy September 16, 2014Reducing emissions can generate better growth than old high-carbon model, says co-author of report, Lord Stern Continue reading...Fiona Harvey, environment correspondent
- IWC 'has majority' to curb Japanese whale culls September 16, 2014New Zealand proposing that world's whale conservation body also add strict conditions to any future scientific whaling permits Continue reading...Arthur Neslen
- August was hottest on record worldwide, says Nasa September 16, 20142014 is shaping up to be an exceptionally warm year with May and June also the hottest ever Continue reading...John Vidal
- Spider app launched by ecologists September 16, 2014Spider in Da House will help identify 12 of the most common invaders frequenting homes during autumn mating season Continue reading...Adam Vaughan
- The opposition to London's segregated cycle lanes is living in the past September 16, 2014Plans for the UKs biggest bike routes face serious opposition from the City of London and motoring organisations. What happens next could define the future of cycling Continue reading...Peter Walker
- Rising sea levels a 'sleeping giant' that could cost $226bn, report says September 16, 2014Analysis by the Climate Council finds Australia is likely to experience rises of 0.4m to 1m, putting infrastructure at risk Read the Climate Council report Continue reading...Oliver Milman
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- About Us August 11, 2009We are a campaigning organisation that appeals to all walks of life with a shared vision of a better place to live. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Campaign against Birmingham rapist, call to boycott his shopThe newly formed group, Action Against Abuse, in order to protect Birmingham and the vegan community in Birmingham, releases this statement against Ray Kirkham, a known abuser, accused by four women of sexual assault and, in one case, rape.
- The Taking of the Stone of Destiny - a screenplayThe story of Scottish nationalist Ian Hamilton's audacious recapture of the Stone of Scone from England in 1950.
- How can BT threaten voters on Scotland with costlier service? On whose mandate?BT features as one of the Big Biz Conglomerates actively engage din consolidating to Big Biz dictating to the voters at the Referendum on Scotland on Thursday. Who gave BT that mandate to issue such threats?
- NATION OF COWARDSThe definition of a coward is not the traditional military one of a soldier who won’t fight.
- Politician tells supporters of Sharia law to "GET OUT' of AustraliaGet out ... Australian Senator Jacqui Lambie says those who support sharia law in Australia need to leave.
- Environmental impacts of animal farming spark continued controversy August 8, 1913New research published by Cambridge and Aberdeen universities has provided further evidence of the massive and growing environmental impacts of farming animals for food, sparking more debate on the issue. The new report states that worldwide ...
- Take action against battery cages for 'gamebirds' August 9, 1915The focus of this year’s National Anti-Shooting Week (22 - 28 September) is our campaign to ban the battery cages that are used to incarcerate breeding pheasants and partridges. We view the abolition of these contraptions –...
- Insensitivity of primate researchers exposed by government committee July 8, 1916The Animals in Science Committee (ASC), which is responsible for advising the government on vivisection, has rejected several elements of a deeply disturbing government-commissioned report that downplayed the suffering of primates used in neuroscience ...
- Royal Ascot Update: Death Toll Rises to Four July 8, 1918It has been announced today (7 August) that young filly Inchila has been destroyed after she was unable to recover from a fractured pelvis sustained during a race at Royal Ascot this year. This brings the 2014 Royal Meeting’s equine de...
- Two farmers prosecuted for neglecting animals July 8, 1918A farmer in Yorkshire has been jailed for 16 weeks after 350 dead and dying animals were discovered at his farm, whilst another farmer in Wales has had his animals seized after they were found to be neglected and underfed. James Linsley, who ...
- I'm giving away free Light brown carpet @ bit.ly/1uLsQSt 4 days ago
- Coal and the power companies wp.me/pPEwS-2jE 6 days ago
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/3iM9Xl0a7cU?a Glasgow Rangers - Penny Arcade 1 week ago
- Mining................. wp.me/sPEwS-mining 1 week ago
- University of Washington. Shame on YOU. wp.me/pPEwS-2jC 1 week ago
- Exploitation wp.me/pPEwS-2js 2 weeks ago
- Denmark, One Of The Countries Where It’s Still Legal To Have Sex With An Animal. wp.me/pPEwS-2jo 2 weeks ago
- Say “No” to Ice Bucket Challenge wp.me/pPEwS-2jn 2 weeks ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- Deep Earth Processes: windows on the working of a planet September 15, 2014 – September 17, 2014 London, UK
- Geospace revisited: a Cluster /MAARBLE /Van Allen Probes Conferenc e September 15, 2014 – September 21, 2014 Island of Rhodes, Greece
- Multiproxy approach to the reconstruction of the Pliocene climate workshop September 17, 2014 – September 20, 2014 Barcelona, Spain
- Topo-Europe 2014: Interplay between surface, lithospheric, and m antle processes September 17, 2014 – September 20, 2014 Barcelona, Spain
- Autumn School: Data Assimilation in Biogeochemical Cycles September 20, 2014 – September 28, 2014 Trieste, Italy
- African Regional Forum on Business and Human Rights September 16, 2014 at 8:00 am – September 18, 2014 at 4:00 pm , Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- CSR Asia Summit 2014 September 16, 2014 at 8:00 am – September 17, 2014 at 4:00 pm Kowloon Shangri-La , , Hong Kong
- 7th edition of the Middle East Health, Safety, Environment and Sustainable n Development Conference September 21, 2014 at 11:00 pm – September 23, 2014 at 11:00 pm Qatar National Convention Centre, , Qatar
- SPE Middle East Health, Safety, Environment & Sustainable Development n Conference & Exhibition September 22, 2014 at 8:00 am – September 24, 2014 at 4:00 pm Qatar National Convention Centre, Doha, Qatar
- United Nations World Conference on Indigenous Peoples September 22, 2014 at 8:00 am – September 23, 2014 at 4:00 pm , New York, United States
- United Nations Climate Summit 2014 September 23, 2014 at 7:30 am – 6:30 pm UN Headquarters, New York, United States