Glasgow March & Rally – 30th November – Protect Our Pensions
GLASGOW TRADE UNION COUNCIL
MARCH & RALLY – 30th NOVEMBER
Glasgow Trades Councill will be having a March & Rally on the
Day of Action, REMEMBER Wednesday 30th November.
The March will start in Shuttle Street (near High St Station) Gathering at 12noon and moving off at 12.30pm
The route will then be George Street,
Cochrane Street, George Square (South), Hanover Street,
Ingram Street, Glassford Street, Trongate and then finishing at
Speakers will start at 1.15.
- How The Body Shop is using 'monkey dating' to tackle deforestation May 24, 2016The Body Shop has today (24 May) officially launched its new Bio-Bridges programme, which aims to regenerate and reconnect 75 million square metres of damaged forests, as part of the beauty products retailer's ambitious new CSR strategy.
- World could warm by massive 10C if all fossil fuels are burned May 24, 2016The planet would warm by searing 10C if all fossil fuels are burned, according to a new study, leaving some regions uninhabitable and wreaking profound damage on human health, food supplies and the global economy.
- Carbon capture key to unlocking 'unburnable' fossil fuel resources May 23, 2016Refining Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) techniques would unlock the use of "unburnable carbon" as a viable energy source that would still keep the world on a 2C pathway if coupled with renewable energy, new research has suggested.
- Microsoft pledges to develop 'greener' data centres May 23, 2016Tech giant Microsoft wants to combat the growth and electricity consumption of its data centres, by adding more clean sources to its energy mix in an attempt to reach a 60% renewables target "early in the next decade".
- GRI aims to streamline sustainability reporting through new Digital Alliance May 23, 2016The Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) has unveiled a new programme aimed at streamlining sustainability reporting for businesses by using digital platforms to "enable transformational change".
- Humans damaging the environment faster than it can recover, UN finds May 20, 2016Degradation of the world's natural resources by humans is rapidly outpacing the planet's ability to absorb the damage, meaning the rate of deterioration is increasing globally, the most comprehensive environmental study ever undertaken by the UN has found.
- UN calls for overhaul of national laws to tackle wildlife crime May 24, 2016Countries urged to outlaw possession of wildlife and timber illegally harvested or traded elsewhereGovernments around the world need to pass national laws outlawing the possession of wildlife and timber that has been illegally harvested or traded elsewhere, a new report by the UN’s Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) urges.At present, unlisted but endangered f […]Arthur Neslen
- From the favelas: the rise of rooftop solar projects in Brazil May 24, 2016New regulations open up an unexplored market for solar in heavily populated areas such as favelas, led by co-operatives, social startups and small businessesSunny days have long been considered a competitive advantage for Brazil. Before the 2014 World Cup, the country’s tourist board set up a website allowing visitors to compare the number of sunny days in U […]Heriberto Araújo in Rio de Janeiro
- North Yorkshire council fracking decision a 'declaration of war' May 24, 2016Campaigners vow to fight council’s landmark ruling approving fracking in Kirby Misperton, near North York MoorsAnti-fracking campaigners have accused North Yorkshire council of declaring war on people’s rights to clean air and water after it approved the first operation to frack for shale gas in five years. Campaigners opposed to the development outside Kirb […]Nazia Parveen North of England correspondent
- How to throw an eco-friendly party May 24, 2016As patios bloom with cold drinks and barbecues get fired up, use this guide to have the greenest shindig on the blockI suspect that we socialize more during the spring and summer months. Under the warm sun, patios bloom with cold drinks and conversation, barbecues get fired up, and parties quickly spill out on to decks and into back yards. Shifting these swe […]Madeleine Somerville
- South African court gives green light to domestic trade in rhino horn May 24, 2016Court dismisses government bid to uphold seven-year ban on domestic trade in rhino horn - but global ban remains in placeSouth Africa’s supreme court has dismissed a government bid to uphold a seven-year ban on the domestic trade in rhino horn, an industry group said this week. The decision has no bearing on a ban on international trade in rhino horn. Potent […]Reuters
- UK renewables cuts 'risk slowing shift to clean energy' May 24, 2016Push for nuclear and gas over renewables could be more costly in the long term, warns UN’s environment chiefThe UK government risks slowing the shift to clean energy sources by cutting support for renewable energy and strongly backing gas as a transitional fuel, according to the UN’s environment chief.Achim Steiner, executive director of the UN Environment P […]Adam Vaughan in Nairobi
- Divest January 23, 2013Short title: Divest Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Lithuania of Dalia Grybauskaite as an example of poor governmentPerformance of a country's president is best measured by the living standards of people, and they have fallen sharply in Lithuania of Dalia Grybauskaite over the past several years. The main reason why the Lithuanians have become so poor lies in the short-sighted policy of Mrs. Grybauskaite, whose decisions made as president, at least most part of them, […]
- Duterte offers cabinet posts to Maoist Communist Party of the PhilippinesOn Sunday (17 May 2016), Rodrigo Duterte, the Philippines president-elect, announced that his administration, which is due to take office on June 30, would restore capital punishment and issue shoot-to-kill orders to the police and military.
- Royal DemocracyRoyal Democracy: Will There Be a Referendum on Ukraine's EU Association Agreement in Sweden?
- #ALERTA #ANTIFA: MARK COLLETT @slatukip @dubdanu @misscheeky666 @avionpar @JLRFBThe Yorkshire Evening Post Leeds newspaper recently uncovered ex-BNP Youth Leader Mark Collett and his swastika-tattoed girlfriend Eva Housen hosting Vote Leave information stalls along Briggate in Leeds. Since the story broke, Collett has been continuing to promote Vote Leave in Leeds, over the last few days, undeterred by the expose, photographed outside a […]
- #ALERTA #ANTIFA: MARK COLLETT @slatukip @dubdanu @misscheeky666 @JLRFB @avionparThe Yorkshire Evening Post recently uncovered ex-BNP Youth Leader Mark Collett and his swastika-tattoed girlfriend Eva Housen hosting Vote Leave information stalls along Briggate in Leeds. Since the story broke, Collett has been continuing to promote Vote Leave in Leeds, over the last few days, undeterred by the expose, photographed outside a different shop […]
- Press release: Farmers to reap rewards from registering waste exemptions online May 24, 2016The Environment Agency is encouraging farmers and other businesses owners to go online to register as an estimated 70,000 farmers get ready to submit up to 500,000 agricultural waste exemptions this summer. The new digital service, launched in March 2016, has been designed to make online registration quicker, easier and more efficient than ever before. Nearl […]
- Press release: Putting fish on the ‘highway’ to success May 21, 2016Almost 200 obstructions have been overcome – this means fish passes installed or weirs removed. Migration is important because many species of fish need to migrate to reproduce, feed and complete their life cycles. Weir removals and fish passes create ‘fish highways’ making a faster, easier route from the sea right up to the upper reaches of rivers. This wor […]
- Press release: New fish pass near Lincoln now complete, opening up 34km of River Witham May 20, 2016Coarse fish and salmonids like brown trout will have access to more of the river, helping link up isolated fish populations and making spawning easier. Improvements have also been made to the habitat, providing fish and invertebrates a refuge from high flows and predators. This work will help boost fish populations and benefit the wider ecology of the river. […]
- Press release: €12 million European Union funding to protect vital UK moorlands May 20, 2016The MoorLIFE 2020 project - which received €12 million funding from the European Union - will restore and preserve areas of blanket bog developed over thousands of years which are internationally rare due to their high concentration of carbon-storing peat. The project will also provide new habitats for birds and other wildlife, and provide new facilities to […]
- Press release: Public drop-in to discuss River Frome habitat improvements May 20, 2016The proposed location for the project is near Bonds Mill on the River Frome. The drop-in session will be held on Thursday 26 May 2016 between 3pm and 7:30pm at: Leonard Stanley Village Hall 1 Marsh Mews Marsh Road Leonard Stanley Stonehouse GL10 3TB The two organisations are working in partnership on a wider project which aims to help fish negotiate some of […]
- UK bees hanger17.wordpress.com/2016/05/17/uk-… 1 week ago
- RSPCA hanger17.wordpress.com/2016/05/16/rsp… 1 week ago
- Animal Welfare Scotland hanger17.wordpress.com/2016/05/16/ani… 1 week ago
- New lights fitted along with heated grips. Felt good on the way back from speedway last night. https://t.co/6T0yu3mjqh 1 week ago
- RT @WasteManagement: Our landfill-gas-to-energy facilities offsets 2.5 million tons of CO2 emissions per year. #ThinkGreen https://t.co/hUu… 2 weeks ago
- RT @Protect_Wldlife: A Powerful Statement Mr President! "When The Buying Stops The Killing Can Too" @YaoMing https://t.co/rpO6tHnxEX 2 weeks ago
- RT @AnimalRRights: Heartbreaking neglect as dog survived by eating sticks and drinking rain water rightrelevance.com/search/article… https://t.co/C7XN… 2 weeks ago
- RT @Protect_Wldlife: Goodnight animal lovers worldwide & a big THANK YOU to the special souls who care for the orphans through the night. h… 2 weeks ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- Anisotropy and Dynamics of the Lithosphere-Asthenosphere System May 22, 2016 – May 25, 2016 Prague, Czech Republic
- Japan Geoscience Union Meeting 2016 May 22, 2016 – May 26, 2016 Chiba, Japan
- Arthur Holmes Meeting 2016 - The Wilson Cycle: Plate Tectonics and Structural Inheritance During Continental Deformation May 23, 2016 – May 25, 2016 London, UK
- EBSD 2016 May 24, 2016 – May 26, 2016 Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
- 14th International Conference of the Geological Society of Greece May 25, 2016 – May 27, 2016 Thessaloniki, Greece
- IPIECA webinar: SASB’s next steps May 25, 2016 at 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm , , United Kingdom
- 50th Meeting of the GEF Council June 6, 2016 at 9:00 am – June 9, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Washington DC, United States
- Premiam - Post Spill Monitoring Conference June 22, 2016 at 12:00 am – 12:00 am SOAS, London, United Kingdom
- World Water Week 2016 August 27, 2016 at 9:00 am – September 2, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Stockholm, Sweden
- IUCN World Conservation Congress September 1, 2016 at 9:00 am – September 10, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Hawaii, United States
- Reporting Working Group meeting and Good Practices Workshop September 27, 2016 at 8:00 am – September 29, 2016 at 2:00 pm ConocoPhillips , Houston, United States