Save Our Services Update
The Council have postponed taking a decision on the privitisation of Integrated Facilities Management and Corporate and Transactional Services contracts from 22nd December 2011 to 19th January 2012.
They say the new date will provide additional time for elected members to consider the business cases but when will they tell the public?
Come to the public meeting as it is still very important to let our elected members know what we think.
Tuesday 13th December at Meadowbank Arts Centre (St. Margaret’s House, 151 London Road, just along from Meadowbank stadium) 7pm.
- Coca-Cola hits global water replenishment goal five years early August 29, 2016Soft drinks giant Coca-Cola has become the first Fortune 500 Company to replenish all of the water it uses globally back to nature and communities.
- Investors controlling $13tn call on G20 leaders to ratify Paris climate agreement August 24, 2016A group of 130 institutions that control US$13tn of investments have called on G20 nations to ratify the Paris Agreement this year and accelerate investment in clean energy and forced disclosure of climate-related financial risk.
- Removal of trade barriers key to reaching global climate targets, says World Energy Council August 22, 2016As analysis suggests that the Paris Agreement could be ratified by the end of this year, a new report from the World Energy Council concludes that the energy objectives set at COP21 could be met if national Governments reduce barriers to trade and investment of environmental goods.
- Dissolvable batteries and the world's smallest hydro station: the best green innovations of the week August 19, 2016In a week that saw two landmark sustainability initiatives secured in the UK and the US, edie rounds up some of the latest and greatest green innovations that could also benefit from support by Government-backed funding schemes.
- Caffé Nero triples sustainable farming training scheme August 25, 2016Coffee shop chain Caffé Nero has is tripling its efforts to promote sustainable practices to coffee farmers as a means to improve the "transparency and addressability" of its supply chain.
- Unilever refuses to reinstate IOI contracts until 'tangible progress' is shown August 16, 2016Consumer goods giant Unilever has announced that it will not reinstate the Malaysian palm oil supplier group IOI as a contractor until "tangible progress" is made evident of the groups desire to implement a new ethical sustainability action plan.
- 'I was born to do this': national park rangers on their triumphs and tragedies August 27, 2016As the National Park Service turns 100, longtime rangers reflect on tasks ranging from teaching rescue missions – and the sexism many female rangers faceAndrea “Andy” Lankford often came close to death during her twelve years as a ranger for the National Park Service. But there was nothing quite as horrific as the time she ended up with parts of a human brai […]Nicole Puglise and Sam Levin
- Ditch the car: how to visit America's national parks without the congestion August 27, 2016Traffic congestion has become part of the experience of visiting popular national parks in the US. Now, more parks are beefing up their public transport optionsRead our series: National Park Service turns 100If you’ve ever visited an iconic national park like Yellowstone, Yosemite or Glacier, your first glimpses of arresting, postcard-perfect vistas were pro […]Mary Catherine O'Connor
- Obama to create world's largest protected marine area off Hawaii August 26, 2016Expansion of Papahānaumokuākea marine national monument, which is now more than twice the size of Texas, is the president’s final push on conservationBarack Obama has created the world’s largest marine protected area by expanding an existing ocean reserve off Hawaii to cover 582,578 square miles, providing what’s likely to be the grandest, and final, chapter […]Oliver Milman
- Vintage posters of America's national parks – in pictures August 26, 2016A collection of posters created to promote tourism to the national parks is part of the creative legacy of the New Deal developed by Franklin D Roosevelt. Between 1938 and 1941, the Works Progress Administration and its Federal Arts Project designed a series of artworks promoting, and inspired by, the landscapes and wildlife of the parks. The collection is h […]Sarah Gilbert
- A Texas startup's big energy idea: storing electricity underground August 25, 2016Quidnet Energy wants to make solar and wind energy more accessible by turning abandoned oil and gas wells into energy storage vaultsIn a field in Central Texas, Aaron Mandell and his crew are running pumping equipment to bring a former oil and gas well back to life. But they’re not trying to extract black gold. Instead, they are developing a way to turn aban […]Alison Moodie
- Vintage films show risky (and hilarious) behavior in US national parks – video August 25, 2016The rules of acceptable behavior in the national parks have changed drastically over the past 100 years. It was once legal to drive through trees, ride waterfalls, and boil an egg in the Yellowstone hot springs – but now such actions are generally frowned upon Continue reading...Chris Whitworth
- Divest January 23, 2013Short title: Divest Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- #ANTIFA: #TEDDYBEARS #PICNIC @slatukip @dubdanu @siegfails @misscheeky666 @JLRFBLESS THAN thirty brazen little crybabies escaped the clutches of mummy and daddy to parked their prams in Hyde Park for their annual Teddybears Trump Picnic, whilst policemen in riot gear stood guard for the nasty big bogeymen from the UAF, who had threatened to turn up and spoil the fun of the little Angels and cherubs of the EDL's Hitler Pre-School Di […]
- Ambulance Targeting Was Based On Turkish DisinformationIt was an American-made helicopter abusing the name of a First Nations tribe which penetrated Syrian territory coming from Golan late June, in bright daylight approached a nameless Czech-made ambulance car, and fired a B7EV type air-to-ground missile killing a patient plus other inmates en route to a civilian hospital. One of many, too many casualties in a f […]
- Ex-Royal Military Policeman accused of harassing Sussex Police Commissioner KatySussex Police and Crime Commissioner Katy Bourne is being harassed by an ex- Royal Military Policeman, while Sussex Police stand by allowing it to continue.
- What is Grybauskaite silent about?As early as the beginning of the first presidential term, at the meeting with members of Lithuanian National Security and Defence Committee, Dalia Grybauskaite took up the question of making public materials, stored in the archives and connected with the activities of KGB and other secret services, worked in Lithuania. "Lustration has to be finished by […]
- Abu Sayyaf Release Australian Alternative Therapist for GoodDespite a recent surge of violence on the archipelago, militants in the Philippine Islands this week set free an Australian hostage they had held in captivity for three years. The 38 year old Raph Ader who had been vacationing in a local community aside from the overcrowded beaches was abducted during a speed boat round trip in the area, of which his wife ha […]
- Press release: Marlow flood alleviation scheme drop in session August 26, 2016The Environment Agency is holding a public drop in session on Thursday 8 September 2016 for the local community to find out more about the Marlow flood alleviation scheme and the advanced works that will be starting in September 2016. The drop-in session will be held between 4pm and 7.30pm at: The Liston Hall Chapel Street Marlow SL7 1DD There will be inform […]
- Press release: Major bank repairs start on the River Aire August 26, 2016Significant repairs to flood banks along the River Aire in East Yorkshire are currently underway by the Environment Agency, to repair damage done by the Christmas floods and reduce the risk of flooding to local communities. Work is ongoing at Carlton, near Goole, and work has started this week at West Haddlesey to strengthen flood banks. This is part of a pa […]
- Press release: Illegal crayfish traps recovered from North East river August 26, 2016Environment Agency fisheries officers are investigating after four illegal crayfish traps were recovered from the River Wear. On Wednesday night, Fisheries Enforcement Officers on patrol acted on information about four traps in the river at Shincliffe, County Durham. They seized them and are now carrying out further enquiries. Now experts are reminding peopl […]
- Press release: Warning to Bridgwater homeowners after culvert damage found August 26, 2016A periodic clean-up of water-carrying tunnels beneath Bridgwater in Somerset has reduced flood risk to numerous properties – but spotted problems being caused by homeowners above ground. The culverts – narrow, cramped underground passages – are cleared when blockages occur. But between every six and ten years they are inspected. Unlike the large dredging wor […]
- Press release: Appeal to help map Calderdale’s historic waters August 26, 2016The Environment Agency is appealing for help from historians, landowners and communities in the Calder Valley to help produce a detailed map of old land drains, goits and mill ponds to determine whether they could be brought back into use to aid the fight against flooding. The valley is known to have an extensive network of historic field drains and industri […]
- SFA and loch lomond hanger17.wordpress.com/2016/08/22/sfa… https://t.co/VzxH8GhF7X 5 days ago
- RT @BGPuk: Foster home needed urgently for the beautiful Joey - Can you help? (Midlands Area) #greyhounds #rescue #dogs #foster https://t.c… 2 weeks ago
- @Protect_Wldlife @Wildlife_Focus almost definitely 2 weeks ago
- RT @ThePetReader: We share this astounding planet...We do NOT own it🐾🐾#TuesdayMotivation #animallover #LifeisBeautiful #thepetreader https:… 2 weeks ago
- RT @AmyRoseKathryn: Please don't allow a rabbit battery farm to open in Gnosall, Staffordshire! change.org/p/stafford-bor… https://t.co/Hq15cL… 2 weeks ago
- A750 slant streetfightered. https://t.co/tjIomwNGmL 3 weeks ago
- Over the past few weeks, the last of the UK’s big supermarkets have announced commitments to stop selling whole shell eggs from caged hens. 3 weeks ago
- RT @nascar_lens: Top 10 Most Awesome Customized Motor-Trikes goo.gl/KZUi1o https://t.co/zxqApBPkyt 1 month ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- Summer school “Volcanism, Plate Tectonics, Hydrothermal Vents and Life” August 23, 2016 – September 1, 2016 Angra do Heroismo, Azores, Portugal
- 35th International Geological Congress August 27, 2016 – September 4, 2016 Cape Town, South Africa
- 15th International Swiss Climate Summer School August 28, 2016 – September 2, 2016 Grindelwald, Switzerland
- XVII IAGA Workshop on Geomagnetic Observatory Instruments, Data acquisition and Processing September 4, 2016 – September 10, 2016 Dourbes, Belgium
- 88th Congress of the Italian Geological Society September 7, 2016 – September 9, 2016 Naples, Italy
No upcoming events