Save Our Services Update
The Council have postponed taking a decision on the privitisation of Integrated Facilities Management and Corporate and Transactional Services contracts from 22nd December 2011 to 19th January 2012.
They say the new date will provide additional time for elected members to consider the business cases but when will they tell the public?
Come to the public meeting as it is still very important to let our elected members know what we think.
Tuesday 13th December at Meadowbank Arts Centre (St. Margaret’s House, 151 London Road, just along from Meadowbank stadium) 7pm.
- 'Rapid' low-carbon transition could damage economic stability, warns Bank of England September 26, 2016The transition to a low-carbon economy is filled with potential paradoxes that could lead to either the current generation having no "direct incentive" to drive change, or actually transitioning too quickly to the point where financial stability would be damaged.
- Tech giants join NASA and the White House to enhance data-driven climate resiliency September 26, 2016The White House and NASA have partnered with a host of technology giants including Google, Amazon and Microsoft to "harness the data revolution" as a means to develop climate resilience alongside the World Resources Institute (WRI).
- On-the-go H2O spearheads Ford's company-wide innovation drive at 'record pace' September 23, 2016Motor giant Ford's recent innovation push is being driven by employees across all areas of the business at "record pace", with a prototype that turns condensation from air conditioners into drinking water just one of the 3,500 innovations submitted this year.
- Waste-eating sharks and body heat harvesters: the best green innovations of the week September 23, 2016As Climate Week 2016 in New York City draws to a close, edie rounds up the latest low-carbon, resource efficient technologies and innovations that could thrive in a Post-Paris Agreement world.
- Target, measure, act: Global scale-up needed to accelerate food waste reduction September 22, 2016One year on from the establishment of the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), nations and businesses have been urged to target, measure and reduce food waste in line with Goal 12.3, which calls for food waste to be halved by 2030.
- Paris climate agreement poised to come into force September 22, 2016The Paris climate agreement is on the brink of coming into force after 31 nations officially joined the landmark accord, with the United Nations secretary general, Ban Ki-moon, predicting it will be fully ratified by the end of the year.
- Lessons from the environmental front line | John Paul Brammer September 23, 2016The Dakota pipeline protests have drawn indigenous people from across the Americas. But everyone else needs to understand it’s their fight too“I’m here until January,” said a man sitting with his arms crossed in the backseat. The six of us had piled into an old Ford Taurus, hitching a ride back to camp from a prayer ceremony at the site in North Dakota where […]John Paul Brammer
- Terns follow record warm temperatures in 'shock' migration to north of Alaska September 23, 2016Researchers on north-west coast of Alaska startled to discover Caspian terns 1,000 miles farther north than species had been previously recordedEyebrows would be raised if American crocodiles, found on the southern tip of Florida, decided to relocate to New York’s Fifth Avenue or Moroccan camels suddenly joined the tourist throng outside Buckingham Palace in […]Oliver Milman
- 100 countries push to phase out potentially disastrous greenhouse gas September 22, 2016Hydrofluorocarbons, commonly used in refrigerators and air conditioning systems, could add 0.5C to global temperatures by the end of the centuryA loose coalition of more than 100 countries, including the US and European nations, is pushing for an early phase-out of hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), a powerful greenhouse gas that if left unchecked is set to add a po […]Oliver Milman
- Archeologists denounce Dakota Access pipeline for destroying artifacts September 22, 2016Coalition of 1,200 archeologists, museum directors and historians say $3.8bn Dakota Access pipeline disturbs Native American artifacts in North DakotaArcheologists and museum directors have denounced the “destruction” of Native American artifacts during the construction of a contentious oil pipeline in North Dakota, as the affected tribe condemned the projec […]Oliver Milman
- Enterprise car rental company leaves Alec after public outcry September 21, 2016Company follows lead of Ford and others in exiting rightwing American Legislative Exchange Council after consumers condemned membershipThe car rental giant Enterprise says it has resigned its membership in the American Legislative Exchange Council (Alec), an anti-regulation lobby group that has pushed against climate change legislation, effective immediately […]Sam Thielman in New York
- A day at the California farm where the workers will get the pay they deserve September 21, 2016Phil McGrath’s family has farmed in California for five generations. Now, as the state mandates overtime pay for laborers, he is one of the few owners committed to the new law: ‘We’ll know we tried to do the right thing’Ninety minutes from downtown Los Angeles, flowers of all shapes and sizes grow next to the historic US highway 101. Year round the patches o […]Giovanni Moujaes in Camarillo, California
- Divest January 23, 2013Short title: Divest Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- #ANTIFA: #TEDDYBEARS #PICNIC @slatukip @dubdanu @siegfails @misscheeky666 @JLRFBLESS THAN thirty brazen little crybabies escaped the clutches of mummy and daddy to parked their prams in Hyde Park for their annual Teddybears Trump Picnic, whilst policemen in riot gear stood guard for the nasty big bogeymen from the UAF, who had threatened to turn up and spoil the fun of the little Angels and cherubs of the EDL's Hitler Pre-School Di […]
- Ambulance Targeting Was Based On Turkish DisinformationIt was an American-made helicopter abusing the name of a First Nations tribe which penetrated Syrian territory coming from Golan late June, in bright daylight approached a nameless Czech-made ambulance car, and fired a B7EV type air-to-ground missile killing a patient plus other inmates en route to a civilian hospital. One of many, too many casualties in a f […]
- Ex-Royal Military Policeman accused of harassing Sussex Police Commissioner KatySussex Police and Crime Commissioner Katy Bourne is being harassed by an ex- Royal Military Policeman, while Sussex Police stand by allowing it to continue.
- What is Grybauskaite silent about?As early as the beginning of the first presidential term, at the meeting with members of Lithuanian National Security and Defence Committee, Dalia Grybauskaite took up the question of making public materials, stored in the archives and connected with the activities of KGB and other secret services, worked in Lithuania. "Lustration has to be finished by […]
- Abu Sayyaf Release Australian Alternative Therapist for GoodDespite a recent surge of violence on the archipelago, militants in the Philippine Islands this week set free an Australian hostage they had held in captivity for three years. The 38 year old Raph Ader who had been vacationing in a local community aside from the overcrowded beaches was abducted during a speed boat round trip in the area, of which his wife ha […]
- Press release: Serious pollution and emissions cut at regulated sites September 22, 2016Regulated businesses are also becoming more environmentally responsible, with total greenhouse gas emissions down by 24% since 2000. Methane emissions from the landfill sector fell 61% since 2002, the reports show. Air emissions from regulated businesses continue to reduce, in 2015 total oxides of nitrogen reduced by 15% and oxides of sulphur by 23% from the […]
- Press release: Composting site operator fined £50,000 after breaching its permit September 21, 2016Operator of the site, AmeyCespa (East) Ltd, was fined £50,000 and ordered to pay £13,336 costs after a court heard that in July 2014 an employee at a nearby company was suddenly sick at work. The firm that the employee worked for had had an increase in sickness rates and eventually gave up its lease on the property, at a large penalty cost, and relocated. Ca […]
- News story: £200,000 of rod licence money to fund over 50 angling projects September 21, 2016The Angling Improvement Fund (AIF) has funded 54 projects to encourage freshwater fishing. The £200,000 of rod licence money will protect fisheries from predation, encourage more people to go fishing, improve facilities at clubs and fisheries and safeguard venues. The AIF is administered by the Angling Trust in partnership with the Environment Agency. Every […]
- Press release: Oil and gas regulators to host public drop-in September 19, 2016A group of public agencies is hosting a drop-in event in Malton to explain how they work together to regulate the onshore oil and gas industry and protect communities and the environment. The Environment Agency, Health and Safety Executive, Oil and Gas Authority, and Public Health England are hosting the event at The Milton Rooms, Market Place, Malton, YO17 […]
- Press release: Emma Howard Boyd appointed Chair of the Environment Agency September 19, 2016Emma Howard Boyd has been confirmed as the new Chair of the Environment Agency and will take up the post today (Monday 19 September). Environment Secretary Andrea Leadsom said: Emma brings unrivalled experience, leadership and enthusiasm to the Environment Agency and I very much look forward to working with her. Emma Howard Boyd, Chair of the Environment Age […]
- RT @Protect_Wldlife: Confessions Of A #Rhino Poacher: I Have No Choice But To De-Horn Rhinos! protectallwildlifeblog.wordpress.com/confessions-of… #SaveRhinos #RhinoHor… 8 hours ago
- RT @Misokeiko: 🎉🐬💦Another unsuccessful attempt to export Solomons dolphins radionz.co.nz/international/… https://t.co/bsDzjW8qec 2 days ago
- RT @morgankwyatt: Why is the grasshopper lucky? #spiritanimal #nature #spirituality bit.ly/2cNsu0o https://t.co/sfRKD57h3d 2 days ago
- RT @PETAUK: Fantastic news! 🐺🐹🐰 The Kooples will stop selling real fur! petauk.org/kooplesvictory https://t.co/WnOuBjAJWt 2 days ago
- RT @Protect_Wldlife: Pls RT: Do something REALLY good this week ~ invite a new best friend into your home! #AdoptDontShop ~ @RickyGervais h… 6 days ago
- RT @AwakenedDMT: The beauty of nature pt.10 https://t.co/s6syynRc0J 6 days ago
- RT @AmyRoseKathryn: Success! It’s Now a Felony to Abuse Companion Animals in Ohio care2.com/causes/success… https://t.co/smerD1l2pu 1 week ago
- RT @pascalguyon: dehydrated golden berries ! very tasty ! https://t.co/3KLTxg5YBd 1 week ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- The 1st Asia-Pacific Workshop on Lithosphere and Mantle Dynamics September 23, 2016 – September 25, 2016 Tapei, Taiwan
- GeoTirol2016 - Annual Meeting DGGV hosting Pangeo Austria & Bodenseetagung September 25, 2016 – September 28, 2016 Innsbruck, Austria
- SEG 2016 Conference: Tethyan Tectonics and Metallogeny September 25, 2016 – September 28, 2016 Çeşme, Turkey
- GSA 2016 Annual Meeting & Exposition September 25, 2016 – September 28, 2016 Denver, Colorado
- 5th Data Analysis and Modeling in Earth Sciences (DAMES) September 26, 2016 – September 28, 2016 Hamburg, Germany
No upcoming events