Save Our Services Update
The Council have postponed taking a decision on the privitisation of Integrated Facilities Management and Corporate and Transactional Services contracts from 22nd December 2011 to 19th January 2012.
They say the new date will provide additional time for elected members to consider the business cases but when will they tell the public?
Come to the public meeting as it is still very important to let our elected members know what we think.
Tuesday 13th December at Meadowbank Arts Centre (St. Margaret’s House, 151 London Road, just along from Meadowbank stadium) 7pm.
- 10 things you probably didn't know about green energy jobs May 25, 2016With new figures from the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) revealing that employment in the renewables industry rose by 5% over the past 12 months, to pass 8.1 million, edie dissects the data to bring you 10 fascinating facts about clean energy employment.
- How The Body Shop is using 'monkey dating' to tackle deforestation May 24, 2016The Body Shop has today (24 May) officially launched its new Bio-Bridges programme, which aims to regenerate and reconnect 75 million square metres of damaged forests, as part of the beauty products retailer's ambitious new CSR strategy.
- World could warm by massive 10C if all fossil fuels are burned May 24, 2016The planet would warm by searing 10C if all fossil fuels are burned, according to a new study, leaving some regions uninhabitable and wreaking profound damage on human health, food supplies and the global economy.
- Carbon capture key to unlocking 'unburnable' fossil fuel resources May 23, 2016Refining Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) techniques would unlock the use of "unburnable carbon" as a viable energy source that would still keep the world on a 2C pathway if coupled with renewable energy, new research has suggested.
- Microsoft pledges to develop 'greener' data centres May 23, 2016Tech giant Microsoft wants to combat the growth and electricity consumption of its data centres, by adding more clean sources to its energy mix in an attempt to reach a 60% renewables target "early in the next decade".
- GRI aims to streamline sustainability reporting through new Digital Alliance May 23, 2016The Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) has unveiled a new programme aimed at streamlining sustainability reporting for businesses by using digital platforms to "enable transformational change".
- Air pollution could increase risk of stillbirth, study suggests May 24, 2016Exposure to vehicular and industrial emissions heightens risk during pregnancy, researchers sayExposure to air pollution may increase the risk of stillbirth, new research suggests.Stillbirths, classed as such if a baby is born dead after 24 weeks of pregnancy, occur in one in every 200 births. Around 11 babies are stillborn every day in the UK, with aproxima […]Press Association
- Insurance companies taking too big a risk on fossil fuels, report says May 24, 2016The US insurance industry is the second largest institutional investor in oil, gas and coal – but it risks losing money if it doesn’t change its investment strategyThe US insurance industry, the country’s second largest institutional investor in oil, gas and coal with $459bn in fossil fuel investments, needs to divest or face serious threats to its financial […]Leah Messinger
- Fracking is a futile betrayal of our national interest | John Ashton May 24, 2016Imposing the extraction of shale gas on communities in England undermines our already fragile democracyDrinkers in the Ashfield Country Manor Hotel face a dilemma. There is no other pub in the quiet working village of Kirby Misperton in Ryedale. But the landlord has banned discussion on his premises of the very topic that people most want to talk about, beca […]John Ashton
- Drone footage captures Cambodian canal overrun by rubbish – video May 24, 2016Drone footage shot by Khmer Times shows mass pollution in the Cambodian Phnom Penh waterways, with the canal system blocked by rubbish ranging from plastic to sewage. The canals and waterways in Phnom Penh are some of the most polluted in the region, leading environmental activists to call on the government to immediately take action Continue reading...Guardian Staff
- What we must do to avert antibiotic catastrophe | Letters May 24, 2016Letters from Vickie Hawkins of Médecins Sans Frontieres UK, Margaret Batty of WaterAid, Professor Stuart Reid of the Royal Veterinary College and two othersJim O’Neill’s report has rightly brought into focus the urgent need to finance and develop new antibiotics (Radical plan to halt scourge of drug resistance, 19 May). But what about the tools that already […]Letters
- Has Donald Trump dug himself into a bunker with his climate change views? | Tim Dowling May 24, 2016The Republican candidate has been dismissive of global warming. But when it comes to his golf course in Ireland, he seems to be taking the threat seriouslyA golf-and-hotel complex on the west coast of Ireland has applied to construct extensive dune erosion defences to mitigate the effects of erosion “due to sea level rise and increased Atlantic storminess”. […]Tim Dowling
- Divest January 23, 2013Short title: Divest Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Lithuania of Dalia Grybauskaite as an example of poor governmentPerformance of a country's president is best measured by the living standards of people, and they have fallen sharply in Lithuania of Dalia Grybauskaite over the past several years. The main reason why the Lithuanians have become so poor lies in the short-sighted policy of Mrs. Grybauskaite, whose decisions made as president, at least most part of them, […]
- Duterte offers cabinet posts to Maoist Communist Party of the PhilippinesOn Sunday (17 May 2016), Rodrigo Duterte, the Philippines president-elect, announced that his administration, which is due to take office on June 30, would restore capital punishment and issue shoot-to-kill orders to the police and military.
- Royal DemocracyRoyal Democracy: Will There Be a Referendum on Ukraine's EU Association Agreement in Sweden?
- #ALERTA #ANTIFA: MARK COLLETT @slatukip @dubdanu @misscheeky666 @avionpar @JLRFBThe Yorkshire Evening Post Leeds newspaper recently uncovered ex-BNP Youth Leader Mark Collett and his swastika-tattoed girlfriend Eva Housen hosting Vote Leave information stalls along Briggate in Leeds. Since the story broke, Collett has been continuing to promote Vote Leave in Leeds, over the last few days, undeterred by the expose, photographed outside a […]
- #ALERTA #ANTIFA: MARK COLLETT @slatukip @dubdanu @misscheeky666 @JLRFB @avionparThe Yorkshire Evening Post recently uncovered ex-BNP Youth Leader Mark Collett and his swastika-tattoed girlfriend Eva Housen hosting Vote Leave information stalls along Briggate in Leeds. Since the story broke, Collett has been continuing to promote Vote Leave in Leeds, over the last few days, undeterred by the expose, photographed outside a different shop […]
- Press release: Glastonbury Festival fined for causing pollution May 24, 2016The organisers of Glastonbury Festival, the world’s biggest music festival, have been ordered to pay £31,000 in fines and costs for pollution offences involving human sewage. More than 4km of the Whitelake River was polluted after approximately 20,000 gallons of untreated sewage escaped from a temporary storage tank on a farm at Pilton, near Shepton Mallet, […]
- Press release: Farmers to reap rewards from registering waste exemptions online May 24, 2016The Environment Agency is encouraging farmers and other businesses owners to go online to register as an estimated 70,000 farmers get ready to submit up to 500,000 agricultural waste exemptions this summer. The new digital service, launched in March 2016, has been designed to make online registration quicker, easier and more efficient than ever before. Nearl […]
- Press release: Putting fish on the ‘highway’ to success May 21, 2016Almost 200 obstructions have been overcome – this means fish passes installed or weirs removed. Migration is important because many species of fish need to migrate to reproduce, feed and complete their life cycles. Weir removals and fish passes create ‘fish highways’ making a faster, easier route from the sea right up to the upper reaches of rivers. This wor […]
- Press release: New fish pass near Lincoln now complete, opening up 34km of River Witham May 20, 2016Coarse fish and salmonids like brown trout will have access to more of the river, helping link up isolated fish populations and making spawning easier. Improvements have also been made to the habitat, providing fish and invertebrates a refuge from high flows and predators. This work will help boost fish populations and benefit the wider ecology of the river. […]
- Press release: €12 million European Union funding to protect vital UK moorlands May 20, 2016The MoorLIFE 2020 project - which received €12 million funding from the European Union - will restore and preserve areas of blanket bog developed over thousands of years which are internationally rare due to their high concentration of carbon-storing peat. The project will also provide new habitats for birds and other wildlife, and provide new facilities to […]
- UK bees hanger17.wordpress.com/2016/05/17/uk-… 1 week ago
- RSPCA hanger17.wordpress.com/2016/05/16/rsp… 1 week ago
- Animal Welfare Scotland hanger17.wordpress.com/2016/05/16/ani… 1 week ago
- New lights fitted along with heated grips. Felt good on the way back from speedway last night. https://t.co/6T0yu3mjqh 1 week ago
- RT @WasteManagement: Our landfill-gas-to-energy facilities offsets 2.5 million tons of CO2 emissions per year. #ThinkGreen https://t.co/hUu… 2 weeks ago
- RT @Protect_Wldlife: A Powerful Statement Mr President! "When The Buying Stops The Killing Can Too" @YaoMing https://t.co/rpO6tHnxEX 2 weeks ago
- RT @AnimalRRights: Heartbreaking neglect as dog survived by eating sticks and drinking rain water rightrelevance.com/search/article… https://t.co/C7XN… 2 weeks ago
- RT @Protect_Wldlife: Goodnight animal lovers worldwide & a big THANK YOU to the special souls who care for the orphans through the night. h… 2 weeks ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- Anisotropy and Dynamics of the Lithosphere-Asthenosphere System May 22, 2016 – May 25, 2016 Prague, Czech Republic
- Japan Geoscience Union Meeting 2016 May 22, 2016 – May 26, 2016 Chiba, Japan
- Arthur Holmes Meeting 2016 - The Wilson Cycle: Plate Tectonics and Structural Inheritance During Continental Deformation May 23, 2016 – May 25, 2016 London, UK
- EBSD 2016 May 24, 2016 – May 26, 2016 Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
- 14th International Conference of the Geological Society of Greece May 25, 2016 – May 27, 2016 Thessaloniki, Greece
- IPIECA webinar: SASB’s next steps May 25, 2016 at 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm , , United Kingdom
- 50th Meeting of the GEF Council June 6, 2016 at 9:00 am – June 9, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Washington DC, United States
- Premiam - Post Spill Monitoring Conference June 22, 2016 at 12:00 am – 12:00 am SOAS, London, United Kingdom
- World Water Week 2016 August 27, 2016 at 9:00 am – September 2, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Stockholm, Sweden
- IUCN World Conservation Congress September 1, 2016 at 9:00 am – September 10, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Hawaii, United States
- Reporting Working Group meeting and Good Practices Workshop September 27, 2016 at 8:00 am – September 29, 2016 at 2:00 pm ConocoPhillips , Houston, United States