Save Our Services Update
The Council have postponed taking a decision on the privitisation of Integrated Facilities Management and Corporate and Transactional Services contracts from 22nd December 2011 to 19th January 2012.
They say the new date will provide additional time for elected members to consider the business cases but when will they tell the public?
Come to the public meeting as it is still very important to let our elected members know what we think.
Tuesday 13th December at Meadowbank Arts Centre (St. Margaret’s House, 151 London Road, just along from Meadowbank stadium) 7pm.
- Idle investors could face legal action over portfolio climate risks, experts warn February 12, 2016A trio of climate experts have warned that investors and asset managers who continuously ignore the risks of climate change do so at their peril and may soon be faced with legal action.
- US clean power plan setback 'will not affect Paris climate change deal' February 11, 2016The US commitment to cutting carbon emissions under the landmark Paris agreement remains unaffected by the setback delivered to President Obama's climate plans by the country's supreme court, the White House has said.
- Tesla and Google lead the way in electric vehicle infrastructure push February 9, 2016Global innovators Tesla and Google have announced plans to accelerate the growth of commercial electric vehicles (EVs) by launching new schemes aimed at increasing the infrastructure options available to consumers.
- More than 600 Unilever sites reach zero waste to landfill status February 9, 2016Unilever has today (9 February) revealed that more than 600 of its sites across 70 countries have achieved zero waste to landfill status, after the company identified alternate routes for non-hazardous waste streams in its operations.
- World's largest investor: We want companies with long-term sustainability plan February 8, 2016The chief executive of the world's largest investment firm, Blackrock, has called for companies to build environmental, social and governance (ESG) management into their business models, calling it a sign of 'operational excellence'.
- Ireland's national stadium goes 100% renewable for Six Nations February 5, 2016Aviva stadium, home of the Ireland rugby team will be fully powered by renewable energy for the upcoming 2016 Six Nations tournament, becoming the first stadium in the competition to be so.
- Obama creates three new national monuments to protect California desert February 12, 2016Mojave Trails, Sand to Snow and Castle Mountains designated as national monuments to push total land and water protected by Obama to 265m acresBarack Obama is to nearly double the amount of public land he has protected as national monuments, by signing off on the conservation of nearly 1.8m acres (0.7m hectares) of California desert.The three new national mo […]Oliver Milman in New York
- Climate risks could wreak havoc on financial markets, EU watchdog warns February 12, 2016Banking advisory group calls for risk disclosure and stress tests to protect against climate inaction should move to low carbon economy happen too late The EU’s financial watchdog has called for governments to consider imposing asset disclosures on industry and stress tests on banks as a guard against the economic crisis that could be caused by an emergency […]Arthur Neslen in Brussels
- Green news roundup: salamanders, Heathrow 13 and tidal power setbacks February 12, 2016The week’s top environment news stories and green events. If you are not already receiving this roundup, sign up here to get the briefing delivered to your inbox Continue reading...Environment editor
- The week in wildlife – in pictures February 12, 2016A wild elephant in a city, a grey wolf in the snow and monk parakeets munching on guava are among this week’s pick of images from the natural world Continue reading...Eric Hilaire
- Is it a bird? No, it's vermin: Goa reclassifies the peacock February 12, 2016Move by India’s popular tourist state could lead to mass culling of the country’s national birdIndia’s popular tourist state of Goa has ruffled feathers with its proposal to reclassify its national bird, the peacock, as vermin, reports said. The move, which is aimed at making the bird easier to cull, comes just weeks after Goa’s legislative assembly caused s […]Agence France-Presse
- Redcar's inshore fishing fleet – in pictures February 12, 2016The inshore fishing fleet at Redcar originated in the early 14th century with crab, lobster and fish bringing much-needed income to local fishermen. As the industry has declined, the Teesside town’s fleet has reduced in size, so that today only a small number of boats are still put to sea to continue the fishing heritage on England’s east coast Continue read […]Ian Forsyth/Getty Images
- Finance January 23, 2013Short title: Finance Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Press release: Join your local flood and coastal committee February 12, 2016The RFCC decide on local priorities for flood risk management and members play a critical role in delivering projects for communities which are vulnerable to all sources of flooding. Simon Moody, Deputy Director from the Environment Agency said: This is a really exciting opportunity to support all the authorities involved in flooding to really make a differe […]
- Press release: Elvermen asked to fish responsibly to help preserve eel stocks February 12, 2016Eels are an endangered species and recognised by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) as in need of protection. Fishing for elvers is allowed in England and Wales, but under strict conditions to ensure stocks are not over-exploited. The elver season runs from 15 February to 25 May 2016 inclusive and is largely limited to the Ri […]
- Press release: Almost 2 million fish released into England’s rivers February 11, 2016Record-breaking numbers of coarse fish were released into England’s rivers in 2015, the Environment Agency has revealed. Last year was the best year ever for the Environment Agency’s specialist fish breeding farm in Nottingham. Experts stocked more than 452,220 fish and 1.3 million larvae into rivers all over the country. They were all bred at the Environmen […]
- Press release: Thames Barrier to close for first time this winter February 10, 2016With heavy rain across the south east over the last week, flows on the River Thames have increased. These high flows have coincided with spring tides (when tides are usually at their highest during the tidal cycle) so the Environment Agency will close the Thames Barrier at 11:30am on Wednesday 10 February to reduce the risk of flooding in London and along th […]
- Press release: Land owners in Lancashire are consulted about land drainage. February 10, 2016In September 2015 the Environment Agency notified landowners that they would cease operation of 5 pumping stations: Banks Marsh, Boundary Brook, Clay Brow, Kew and Rufford Causeway in 2 years time. The Environment Agency is working with the National Farmers Union and Country Land and Business Association to help landowners explore alternative arrangements fo […]
- I saved a @YouTube playlist youtube.com/playlist?list=… Bob Ross - The Joy 5 days ago
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/XTaCoRM-HVo?a Abandoned Old Car Dealership Full Of Classics! 6 days ago
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/M1RTCp3dcIo?a Inside the abandoned buildings under Lake Mead 6 days ago
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/w7qEHd2XGIo?a Jenny Scordamaglia Twinkling Dress Bottom is Showing Clearly Awesome Show 1 week ago
- Ghost Rider 1 - The Final Ride youtu.be/jySqs1XJmLQ 1 week ago
- Check out my motorcycle Scotland events group on Facebook. Its the only place that centralises events in Scotland. 1 week ago
- RT @AnimalRRights: North Carolina Landowners Express Support for Recovery of Endan rightrelevance.com/search/article… via @endangered https://t.co/NmH… 2 weeks ago
- RT @Animal_Watch: The Spanish bullfighter who took his baby into the ring is facing investigation ind.pn/1OPOVKT @Independent http… 2 weeks ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
- Oxford's Housing Nightmare March 9, 2016 at 7:30 pm – 9:30 pm St. Clement's Family Centre, Cross Street, Oxford, OX4 1DA
Climate Change Events
- Tectonics, Structural Geology and Geology of Crystalline Rocks (TSK16) March 1, 2016 – March 6, 2016 Bonn, Germany
- New Currents in Science: The Challenges of Quality March 3, 2016 – March 4, 2016 Ispra, Italy
- 76th Annual Meeting of the German Geophysical Society (DGG) March 14, 2016 – March 17, 2016 Muenster, Germany
- 2016 Conference on Big Data from Space March 15, 2016 – March 17, 2016 Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
- NAC+ 2016 March 21, 2016 – March 23, 2016 Edinburgh, UK
- 4th Session of Plenary Intergovernmental platform on biodiversity and n ecosystem services (IPBES) February 22, 2016 at 9:00 am – February 28, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- SPE HSE International Conference April 11, 2016 at 9:00 am – April 13, 2016 at 4:00 pm , Stavanger, Norway
- Global Water Summit 2016 April 19, 2016 at 8:00 am – April 20, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Sustainable Extractives Forum: how to manage risk and navigate uncertainty. April 27, 2016 at 9:30 am – April 28, 2016 at 5:30 pm , London, United Kingdom
- IPIECA-IOGP Health Committee meeting April 28, 2016 at 7:30 am – April 29, 2016 at 11:00 am Statoil USA E&P, Houston, Texas, United States
- IPIECA-IOGP Health Committee Meeting April 28, 2016 at 1:00 pm – April 29, 2016 at 5:00 pm Statoil U.K. Limited, London, United Kingdom