Save Our Services Update
The Council have postponed taking a decision on the privitisation of Integrated Facilities Management and Corporate and Transactional Services contracts from 22nd December 2011 to 19th January 2012.
They say the new date will provide additional time for elected members to consider the business cases but when will they tell the public?
Come to the public meeting as it is still very important to let our elected members know what we think.
Tuesday 13th December at Meadowbank Arts Centre (St. Margaret’s House, 151 London Road, just along from Meadowbank stadium) 7pm.
- Sustainable product revenue growing six times faster than alternatives July 3, 2015Revenues from sustainable products or services are growing up to six times faster than 'normal' equivalents, according to new research from the Investor Responsibility Research Center Institute (IRRCi).
- Solar plane glides past world record in 80-hour solo flight July 2, 2015The solar plane Solar Impulse 2 has broken the world records for distance and duration of solar aviation, flying continuously for more than 80 hours and travelling 6000 km across the Pacific.
- China to treble wind capacity in 10 years July 2, 2015China is set to treble its wind power capacity by 2025, but future growth will be limited unless the nation's grid technology is developed.
- Biogen achieves landmark net zero carbon footprint across global business July 1, 2015Biotechnology specialist Biogen has reached carbon neutrality globally, the company announced yesterday (30 June).
- China confirms 2030 cap on emissions ahead of Paris conference June 30, 2015China has formally pledged to peak its carbon emissions by 2030, but says it could begin reductions ahead of time.
- GALLERY: Top 10 sustainability stories in June 2015 June 30, 2015June has been a month of major investments, policy change and landmark decisions. Take a look back at the month's major stories with edie's gallery round up.
- BP set to pay largest environmental fine in US history for Gulf oil spill July 2, 2015BP will pay $18.7bn after the justice department and four states sued Money will be divided among states and earmarked for cleanup projectsBP has agreed to pay a record environmental fine of $18.7bn to settle legal actions brought by the US and several states over the fatal 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill.The US justice department, along with the states of Lou […]Dominic Rushe in New York
- Solar power set to provide record 15% of UK’s power July 2, 2015New high for clean energy generation beckons as heatwave continuesSunny weather and a recent surge in solar panel installations means that solar power could provide a record 15% of the UK’s electricity on Friday afternoon.Torrid heat tends to slightly reduce solar panels’ generating capacities, and with fresher conditions forecast across much of the UK, the […]Arthur Neslen
- Jairam Ramesh: India can't remain on the path of further destruction July 2, 2015Former environment minister believes the cult of unfettered economic growth has been ruinous for India’s environment, reports Yale Environment 360Jairam Ramesh was a self-described “economic hawk” when he became India’s environment minister in 2009, figuring that the country’s ecological problems could wait as India lifted its people out of poverty. But by t […]Christian Schwägerl for Yale Environment 360, part of the Guardian Environment Network
- How and where did UK lose city-sized area of green space in just six years? July 2, 2015Satelite survey reveals urban sprawl ate up 22,000 hectares of forest, farm and wetlands, as planning reforms ‘unlock countryside’ for further developmentThe UK’s spreading cities are relentlessly eating up the country’s green spaces, according to new research, and experts and campaigners believe government planning reforms will aggravate the loss.A satellit […]Karl Mathiesen
- Fossil fuel companies 'should be made to invest in carbon capture and storage' July 2, 2015Oil, coal and gas companies should invest as much in CCS as they do in exploration, say academics on Oxford Martin Safe Carbon Investment initiativeFossil fuel companies should be made to invest as much in carbon storage as they do in exploring for new coal, oil and gas reserves, according to academics from Oxford University.Governments also need to massivel […]Terry Macalister
- Fracking could hurt house prices, health and environment, official report says July 1, 2015Defra report, published in full after freedom of information battle, admits impact on water quality and wildlife is ‘uncertain’, though possible benefits also listed Fracking operations to extract shale gas in Britain could cause nearby house prices to fall by up to 7% and create a risk of environmental damage, according to a government report that has been […]Adam Vaughan and Rowena Mason
- Finance January 23, 2013Short title: Finance Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- USA supervises the Ukrainian duel between Poroshenko and YatsenyukWhen head of Security Service of Ukraine Valentyn Nalyvaichenko was fired a few day ago, he said there was a secret list of officials who would also be dismissed from duty. According to Mr. Nalyvaichenko, the first in line is Prime Minister of Ukraine Arseniy Yatsenyuk. Unfortunately, it is next to impossible to verify the existence of the list. Yet, Preside […]
- Tower Hamlets - the Commissioners are being steamed up!Tower Hamlets Council is not in the news at present. Could it be that the Commissioners sent in by former Local Govt Minister (Secretary of State, Department for Communities and Local Government) Eric Pickles have sorted out the “rotten borough”?
- Disinformation on Northern IndymediaThe accusations currently posted to Northern Indymedia that one of our collective is a police informer, and that IP addresses have been passed to the police by members of this collective are both untrue and offensive.
- Rachel Dolezal case proves 'melting pot' to be falseTheir aim is career development, our aim is a better life. The link to the original, http://blackdefence.wix.com/blackdefense#!Rachel-Dolezal-case-proves-melting-pot-to-be-false/c1hn4/558a82df0cf2ef0f928adae7
- Fracking victory in Lancashire!A significant battle in the war against fracking was won by campaigners in northern England on Monday June 29.
- Press release: Third Energy fracking permit consultation extended July 2, 2015The public consultation on Third Energy’s application for a permit to carry out fracking in North Yorkshire has been extended. The Environment Agency’s consultation on the company’s proposals will now be open for public submissions until Friday 7 August. The consultation opened on 10 June after Third Energy UK Gas Ltd applied to the Environment Agency for th […]
- Press release: Environment Agency reveals ‘secret seven’ fish July 2, 2015A 400-million-year-old rare blood-sucking creature once eaten by Vikings and a relic from the Ice Age top the Environment Agency’s ‘secret seven’ list of England’s rarest fish, which it unveiled today. Photographs of all seven species can be downloaded on flickr The seven species are lamprey, Arctic charr, vendace, spined loach, allis shad, twaite shad and s […]
- Press release: Primitive fish return to Yorkshire and the North East July 1, 2015A rare and protected fish has returned to Yorkshire and the North East for its annual spawning as water quality in the region’s rivers continues to improve. The Environment Agency, working with local angling groups and Natural England, has been surveying the rivers searching for the rare, jawless fish called the lamprey. So far the Environment Agency has ide […]
- Press release: Landowner fined for illegal waste wood July 1, 2015Banbury Magistrates’ Court heard (30 June 2015) that Mr Gordon Jones, of The Old Dairy, The Green, Hethe, Bicester had accumulated an extensive amount of waste wood at his ‘Field Farm’ site – an agricultural holding situated in Bainton Crossroads, Stoke Lyn, Bicester. Mr Gordon was fined £2,000, ordered to pay costs of £3,000 and £120 victim surcharge. Repor […]
- Press release: New eel passes installed on the Bedford Ouse June 29, 2015The eel passes have been installed at sluices between St Ives and Houghton. Eel stocks have been identified as ‘critically low’ in Europe and installation of these new passes should help more of them to get past structures in the Bedford Ouse and on upstream. Helping eels on their fantastic journey Juvenile eels (Leptocephali) start their fantastic journey i […]
- RT @Matt_Dominguez: #WhenIWasAKid a bond w/ animals was developed which drives me today to fight against those who seek to harm them! http:… 2 days ago
- RT @Protect_Wldlife: Please Sign & RT: Stop Live Fish, Turtles & Other Amphibians Being Sold As Keyrings In China! thepetitionsite.com/tell-a-friend/… h… 2 days ago
- RT @peta: For hiking, going out on the town, or a day at the beach. 16 #Vegan Shoes for #Summer: peta.vg/summershoes http://t.co/mUtAvR4… 1 week ago
- RT @TakePart: 3 tiny houses that let you live green + off the grid: bit.ly/1fBGnui http://t.co/NnwVTuJDHe 1 week ago
- RT @wwwfoecouk: Campaigners alarmed over plans to sell stake in Green Investment Bank: theguardian.com/environment/20… http://t.co/9LiKoSNGi6 1 week ago
- I'm going to @theviewtv at The Golf Tavern in Edinburgh, United Kingdom - Jun 27 bandsintown.com/event/10137549… 1 week ago
- I'm going to @DeadKennedys at King Tuts Wah Wah Hut in Glasgow, United Kingdom - Jun 25 bandsintown.com/event/9378138?… 1 week ago
- I'm giving away free Drier @ bit.ly/1GBGW1g 2 weeks ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- 26th IUGG General Assembly 2015 June 22, 2015 – July 3, 2015 Prague, Czech Republic
- CIDER 2015 Summer Program "Solid Earth Dynamics and Climate - Mant le Interactions with the Hydrosphere & Carbosphere June 28, 2015 – August 1, 2015 Berkeley (CA), USA
- 'Gradualism versus catastrophism in landscape evolution' IAG Regio nal Conference July 2, 2015 – July 5, 2015 Barnaul, Russia
- Summerschool: Advanced techniques for quantifying C and Si dynamic s July 6, 2015 – July 11, 2015 Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
- Pathways 2015: Pathways towards habitable planets July 13, 2015 – July 18, 2015 Bern, Switzerland
- SPE Latin America and Caribbean HSE and Sustainability Conference July 7, 2015 at 9:30 am – July 8, 2015 at 5:30 pm , Bogotá, Colombia
- ICCB-ECCB - Mission Biodiversity: Choosing new paths for conservation August 2, 2015 at 9:00 am – August 6, 2015 at 5:00 pm Le Corum- Esplanade Charles De Gaulle, Montpellier, France
- UNFCCC ADP 3 August 31, 2015 at 12:00 am – September 4, 2015 at 12:00 am , Bonn, Germany
- Sustainable Procurement & Supply Summit September 22, 2015 at 9:00 am – 5:00 pm , London, United Kingdom
- Reporting Working Group meeting September 29, 2015 at 9:00 am – October 1, 2015 at 5:00 pm Tullow Oil, London, United Kingdom
- 2015 Annual Meetings of the World Bank Group and the International Monetary n Fund October 9, 2015 at 9:00 am – October 11, 2015 at 5:00 pm , Lima, Peru