Save Our Services Update
The Council have postponed taking a decision on the privitisation of Integrated Facilities Management and Corporate and Transactional Services contracts from 22nd December 2011 to 19th January 2012.
They say the new date will provide additional time for elected members to consider the business cases but when will they tell the public?
Come to the public meeting as it is still very important to let our elected members know what we think.
Tuesday 13th December at Meadowbank Arts Centre (St. Margaret’s House, 151 London Road, just along from Meadowbank stadium) 7pm.
- What went on in Bonn: Climate talks stall ahead of Paris September 4, 2015The UN climate talks in Bonn have been "painstakingly slow" according to some observers, but the final day (Friday) generated some optimism, particularly with regards to funding for poor countries dealing with extreme weather.
- Scientists discover easy way to store methane in coffee September 7, 2015Used coffee beans could be a simple and cheap alternative for methane storage, new scientific research has found.
- Sustainability stats: This week in numbers September 4, 2015As we edge closer to the climate conference in Paris, this week saw a clash of horns over the energy we use. But that hasn't stopped some truly innovative green developments popping up across the globe, from Delhi to... Barnsley.
- Food firms must collaborate to unearth climate risks, says CDP September 3, 2015Some of the world's largest food, beverage and tobacco brands are missing out on significant financial and production quality gains by failing to mitigate climate risks and reduce carbon emissions, a new report has warned.
- Shell and Gazprom among companies backing 2C limit September 3, 2015More than a third of the world's largest listed companies, including major fossil fuel producers, say they would support an international deal limiting global warming to 2 degrees, according to research by CDP.
- Electric cars could feed power back into grid through wireless 'antennas' September 2, 2015German researchers have unveiled a prototype wireless system that allows a car to receive and discharge power to the grid from coils under a road or parking space.
- The week in wildlife – in pictures September 4, 2015Fishing leopards of Botswana, brown bears of Belarus and wildbeests of Masai Mara are among this week’s pick of images from the natural world Continue reading...Guardian Staff
- Climate stalemate prompts call for world leaders to intervene September 4, 2015Act now to remove roadblocks and lay the groundwork for Paris climate deal, say experts including Kofi Anan as Bonn talks stumbleWorld leaders must step into the ongoing UN climate change negotiations, to remove roadblocks and ensure their negotiating teams can lay the groundwork for an agreement at landmark talk in December, an influential group of former l […]Fiona Harvey, environment correspondent
- Government plan on solar subsidy cuts 'ignored job losses' September 4, 2015Solar trade body chief claims energy secretary Amber Rudd told him the impact on jobs was not part of the consultationThe potential loss of thousands of jobs will not be a factor when the government decides whether to implement its proposed heavy cuts to solar power subsidies, according to the chairman of a solar trade body who met energy secretary Amber Rud […]Damian Carrington
- EU car pollution laws have improved UK's air quality, say carmakers September 4, 2015New Euro 6 standards will eliminate exhaust pollutants, says industry facing criticism over ‘major cancer risk’ from diesel fumes Meeting strict new EU pollution standards has added £1,500 to the cost of every new vehicle, say carmakers who claim that because of European legislation to cut tailpipe pollution, Britain’s air quality is better now than it has b […]John Vidal
- Badger cull gets under way in Dorset, Gloucestershire and Somerset September 4, 2015Experts say ineffective and inhumane culling could increase TB infections in cattle as setts are disrupted and badgers roam more widely The controversial badger cull in England is underway for the first time in Dorset and has restarted for the third year in Gloucestershire and Somerset, the government has confirmed.The cull, intended to curb tuberculosis in […]Damian Carrington
- Why I donated my bike to people at Calais refugee camp September 4, 2015Like 150 other cyclists I rode from London because I hoped it would make someone’s life a little easier and to offer a small gesture that there are people who care Critical Mass is not a conventionally political movement. In cities around the world, the monthly bicycle event sees cyclists – from London to New York and Sydney – convene in a regular place, on […]Julian Sayarer
- Finance January 23, 2013Short title: Finance Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- North East EDL member and BNP supporter from Stanley exposedNorth East EDL member and BNP supporter from Stanley, Durham exposed - Deborah Humphrey
- Philippines: Bongbong’s whitewashing of Marcos name anathema to 2016 plansAkbayan took exception to Senator Bongbong Marcos’s statement that there was no downside to being a Marcos should he decide to run for higher office in 2016.
- ‘Zionist’ Kiev Flies to the European Far Right for SupportCurrent meltdown in world financial markets, presaging global financial crisis, complete with ongoing conflicts in the Middle East, engineered super large scale movement of population from problem regions, as well as, feasible domestic opposition in Ukraine will necessarily lead to tipping the balance of forces between main political movements in Europe.
- Left is dead, -again-.Left is dead, -again-. English version of political analysis in Greece, from collective for social anarchism «Black & Red» [Thessaloniki July 2015]
- Handbook for student radicalsNew publication on student organising! Get it here - http://studenthandbook.ourproject.org
- Press release: Efforts to improve water quality in Cramlington burn September 4, 2015The Environment Agency is working with partners and local residents to improve water quality in a Northumberland burn. The Horton Burn at Cramlington has suffered a number of pollution incidents and the Environment Agency has been working with partners, including Northumbrian Water, to identify the causes and find solutions. The main impact appears to be the […]
- Press release: Prehistoric fish return to England’s rivers September 4, 2015The world’s oldest living vertebrates, lamprey are snake-like creatures with a circular disc of razor sharp teeth instead of jaws. The largest of the UK lamprey species - the sea lamprey – can grow up to 1 metre in length. Once a common sight in our waterways, river and sea lampreys are now endangered across Europe. The pollution caused by the Industrial Rev […]
- Press release: New boost for an Essex river September 4, 2015The schemes on the River Blackwater at Bocking have been designed to reduce erosion and flood risk, improve fish habitat and the overall ecology of the river. It also provides recreation opportunities for the local community and angling club. The first project, led by the Environment Agency, began in April 2014, and work was carried out over a 2 week period […]
- Press release: Burringham flood defences settling in September 3, 2015Huge metal piles have been driven into the ground this summer to provide a strong defence against flooding, and as expected during the current high tides we are seeing some water seepage through the ground as the defences settle. The seepage is not a flood risk, is contained through the drainage system and is expected to diminish as the ground settles. Morga […]
- Press release: Bromsgrove recycling facility environmental permit application September 3, 2015The public drop-in session will be held on Thursday 10 September between 15:30 and 20:00 at: Fairfield Village Hall Stourbridge Road Bromsgrove The aim of the drop-in is to speak to local residents and answer any questions about the environmental permit application which has been applied for by Ballast Phoenix Limited to operate an Incinerator Bottom Ash (IB […]
- RT @Freja_Petersen: Chinese wildlife park 'entertains' visitors by forcing bears to fight dailym.ai/1LDmP6A via @MailOnline http://t.c… 6 days ago
- Over in Dunoon. Weather unusually good. pic.twitter.com/w4CDK0jW6V 2 weeks ago
- My new rat build. http://t.co/FqeFxHYs89 3 weeks ago
- RT @Piekne_Kobiety: good morning bike? http://t.co/Rt6Cu1hjxr 3 weeks ago
- RT @olaciupa: Walencja ☺️🌍 http://t.co/KqShmDvtwV 3 weeks ago
- On the road with my street fighter. http://t.co/4iiaoXrDsp 3 weeks ago
- RT @boycottdenmark: Bojkotu duńskich produktów #BoycottDenmark ze względu na rzeź waleni na Wyspach Owczych! http://t.co/u0UtBx82cA 3 weeks ago
- RT @easy_rideuses: L'important à #moto : Les courbes, les lignes et le regard http://t.co/sJWQBbVzGn 3 weeks ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
- Oxford Tenants Union Meeting September 16, 2015 at 5:30 pm – 8:00 pm OARC, East Oxford Community Centre
- IBMT Memorial concert October 3, 2015 at 6:00 pm – 10:15 pm West Oxford Community Centre, Botley road, OX2 0BT
Climate Change Events
- 14th International Workshop on Modelling of Mantle and Lithosphere Dynamics August 31, 2015 – September 5, 2015 Olerons, France
- 20th International Conference on deformation mechanisms, rheology and tectonics September 7, 2015 – September 11, 2015 Aachen, Germany
- Emile Argand Conference on Alpine Geological Studies September 13, 2015 – September 19, 2015 Montgenèvre, France
- The interaction of fire and mankind September 14, 2015 – September 15, 2015 London, UK
- Pedometrics 2015 September 14, 2015 – September 18, 2015 Córdoba, Spain
- B4E Climate Summit 2015 September 9, 2015 at 9:00 am – September 10, 2015 at 5:00 pm , London, United Arab Emirates
- Sustainable Procurement & Supply Summit September 22, 2015 at 9:00 am – 5:00 pm , London, United Kingdom
- Reporting Working Group meeting September 29, 2015 at 9:00 am – October 1, 2015 at 1:00 pm Tullow Oil, London, United Kingdom
- Eye on Earth Summit 2015 October 6, 2015 at 8:00 am – October 8, 2015 at 5:00 pm The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- 2015 Annual Meetings of the World Bank Group and the International Monetary n Fund October 9, 2015 at 9:00 am – October 11, 2015 at 5:00 pm , Lima, Peru
- Employee Health and Wellbeing Conference October 11, 2015 at 8:30 am – October 13, 2015 at 5:00 pm , Doha, Qatar