JP Wood (@JamesWoodAR) has shared a tweet with you
Happy birthday to Stanley Kubrick who famously declared, “If it can be written or thought, it can be filmed.” @Criterion — Stephen O’Malley (@IdeologicOrgan)
- Could cutting meat from our diets bridge a post-Paris 'emissions gap'? November 26, 2015A dietary change that relieves the demand for animal protein could play an instrumental role in plugging the post-Paris emissions gap, according to a new report from independent policy institute Chatham House.
- Fossil fuel companies risking $2trn in 'unnecessary' investments November 26, 2015A perfect storm of climate movements could see fossil fuel companies waste more than $2trn by pursuing projects in a potential world where there is no need for coal mines and oil prices have peaked, the Carbon Tracker Initiative has warned.
- Autumn Statement and Spending Review: The green business wish list November 24, 2015Chancellor George Osborne will deliver his update on the Government's plans for the economy, known as the Autumn Statement, in Parliament today. The hopes are high, but expectations are seemingly low among green groups and industry.
- Businesses lay out key Paris proposals to avoid 'zombie' scenario November 24, 2015The business community has released a set of ambitious proposals they wish to be included in the final Paris agreement, as a climate think-tank sets out the three possible scenarios that will arise from the talks.
- More than half of global clean energy investment flowing to emerging markets November 24, 2015Emerging markets attracted more clean energy investment than wealthy countries for the first time ever in 2014, according to a new report.
- Amazon Web Services adds 100MW wind farm to booming renewables portfolio November 24, 2015Amazon's cloud computing business, Amazon Web Services (AWS), has contracted US energy firm EDP Renewables to construct and operate a 100MW wind farm in Ohio.
- Heathrow protesters cause chaos by blocking entrance to Terminals 1, 2 and 3 November 26, 2015Police deal with rush-hour airport incident by campaign group Plane Stupid in which activist has locked himself to vehicleEnvironmental activists have caused rush-hour chaos at Heathrow by parking a van across the entrance tunnel to Terminals 1, 2 and 3 and locking themselves to the vehicle so it cannot be moved. The campaign group Plane Stupid says three of […]Damien Gayle
- 'Please think again': readers respond to solar energy cuts November 26, 2015In August, the government announced plans to cut subsidies for rooftop solar by almost 90% in the new year. We asked 20 people affected to share their response to the cuts with us Continue reading...Emma Howard
- Lessons from Leicester … the UK's unlikely new poster city for cycling November 26, 2015Mayor Sir Peter Soulsby is using his strong mandate and the discovery of Richard III’s remains to reverse decades of car-centric planning in this medieval cityLeicester was eviscerated in the 1960s by modernist town planners. They scythed through the medieval core of the city with two inner ring-roads, and multi-lane highways were built to provide fast acces […]Carlton Reid
- The climate circus comes to town | Suzanne Goldenberg November 26, 2015The soap opera of global climate talks has been playing for 20 years. As it comes to Paris on Monday, Suzanne Goldenberg reviews the tears, the bloodshed and the unspeakable cateringOn the evening of 18 December 2009, Barack Obama and a trail of White House and State Department officials swept through a cavernous exhibition centre in Copenhagen and barged, u […]Suzanne Goldenberg
- New houses will have to be retrofitted, UK climate watchdog warns November 26, 2015Houses not built to high standards of insulation will have to be expensively retrofitted or risk breaching national carbon targets, climate watchdog warnsHousing built in the UK today and in the next few years may have to be expensively retrofitted with energy-saving technology within the next two decades, according to the government’s climate advisers. The […]Fiona Harvey
- Nature’s stormcock on mistletoe duty November 26, 2015Sandy Bedfordshire The mistle thrush is chasing invisible thieves, hurling out its rattling call of defiance to all other birdsA mistle thrush has proved to be our foul-weather friend over these last few storm battered weeks. High winds summon it to the treetops, a row of limes, where it guards the mistletoe against all comers.Up there it is chasing invisibl […]Derek Niemann
- Finance January 23, 2013Short title: Finance Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Potus Stiffens Foreign Occupation Efforts, Gold Community Not ImpressedIn the past it has been a proven recipe to determine the scope of an international crisis to check the gold trade fever curve, and find shock or trauma successfully thrown back at the one per cent appear as market hiccups. Not so now. The recent terror alarm in Europe, both the concert jihad and the duck-and-cover administration, did not give gold the boost […]
- Overview of the Week of Action against the Prison Industrial ComplexThis is only the beginning. Full account of the week of action here: http://www.cape-campaign.org/
- [Poland] Freedom Fighters martial arts leagueOn 12.12.2015 sixt edition of Freedom Fighters martial arts league will take place in Poznań, Poland. So far the event got popularity in local combat sports scene, so we keep pushing forward!
- Does Mark Carney care if Huntingdon Life Sciences is killing people?Even though the Bank of England provides banking services to animal-testing lab Huntingdon Life Sciences (HLS) Bank of England Governor, Mark Carney, failed to confirm,when asked, that HLS has not passed as safe any lethal drugs. He was responding to a Freedom of Information request.
- the disappearing MaGic salmon showoh dear
- Press release: Specially adapted boat for disabled anglers is a success November 26, 2015The wheelie boat, based on the river Yare, was launched in 2011, thanks to a partnership between the Environment Agency and the Norwich and District Pike Club. The boat’s roll-on, roll-off bow ramp and level deck, means wheelchair users can enjoy independent access to angling on the water, and the facility has proved to be popular, with an average of 50 trip […]
- Press release: Suffolk slurry pollution leads to fine November 25, 2015The Environment Agency told Ipswich Magistrates’ Court yesterday (24 Nov) that the owners of the farm, Great Lodge Farm Ltd, had been negligent. The company from Framlingham was fined £6,000 and ordered to pay £4,474 costs after pleading guilty to breaching environmental permitting regulations. In December 2014 staff from the Environment Agency saw the river […]
- Press release: Public invited to Essex waste facility consultation drop-in November 24, 2015Gent Fairhead & Co. Ltd has applied to the Environment Agency for an environmental permit to operate the facility there. On Wednesday 2 December between 2pm and 7pm Environment Agency staff will be at the drop-in at Silver End Village Hall, Broadway CM8 3RQ to discuss the proposals with people and explain their role in permitting and regulating this type […]
- Press release: Married couple and company must pay £130,000 for waste crime November 23, 2015Two married company directors and their company have been ordered to pay £130,000 for illegally exporting 187 tonnes of hazardous electronic waste to 6 African countries between 2011 and 2015. Mark Daniels, one half of the married couple, was also given a 9 month suspended sentence. The prosecution was brought by the Environment Agency after their officers f […]
- Press release: Massive fines for illegal tipping offences November 20, 2015The case was brought by the Environment Agency. Farmers David Stroud and Darren Pearce and waste haulier, Andrew Duncan, who runs haulage company Dunchaul Limited, were caught following a detailed investigation by the Environment Agency that revealed how they had deposited tonnes of demolition and construction waste in the Cornish countryside. Anyone who dep […]
- This morning. https://t.co/vJUshBRmuy 3 days ago
- £13 in the US but £27 in Scotland. An Islay whisky. Thanks SNP for the taxing. #SNP #malt #whisky https://t.co/bIHT3m8pKh 5 days ago
- Clyde earlier today. https://t.co/5Uie0ztj0R 5 days ago
- Why doesn't SNP reduce the tax on whisky that stiffles growth. Why the 75% tax. #SNP #whisky 5 days ago
- Netherburn, South Lanarkshire. #SLC #SNP https://t.co/N575mWp74D 5 days ago
- One of my favourites. #malt #jura https://t.co/wPCbuhq6uo 6 days ago
- Scotch Whisky costs £10.85, the Government takes more than 75% in tax. 1 week ago
- Scotch Whisky is taxed more heavily than other alcoholic drinks. The annual excise 'escalator' should be abolished and duty frozen. 1 week ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
- Close Campsfield NOW! November 28, 2015 at 12:00 pm Campsfield House Immigration Detention Centre, Langford Lane, Kidlingto...
Climate Change Events
- Riding the Wave: SGTSG structure and tectonics conference 2015 November 22, 2015 – November 27, 2015 Caloundra, Queensland, Australia
- Riding the Wave: SGTSG structure and tectonics conference 2015 November 22, 2015 – November 27, 2015 Caloundra, Australia
- Twelfth European Space Weather Week November 23, 2015 – November 27, 2015 Ostend, Belgium
- ESO Workshop: Solar system as seen by the ELTs November 30, 2015 – December 4, 2015 Garching, Germany
- 5th International Alluvial Fans Meeting November 30, 2015 – December 4, 2015 Christchurch, New Zealand
- UNFCCC COP 21 November 30, 2015 at 12:00 am – December 11, 2015 at 12:00 am , Paris, France
- Sub-Committee of Experts on the Transport of Dangerous Goods (48th session) November 30, 2015 at 9:00 am – December 9, 2015 at 5:00 pm , Geneva, Switzerland
- COP-21 side event: Low-emissions pathways and the role of oil and gas December 4, 2015 at 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm IETA-WBCSD Business Hub, Paris, France
- Global Landscapes Forum 2015 December 5, 2015 at 9:00 am – December 6, 2015 at 5:00 pm Paris, , France
- International Petroleum Technology Conference (IPTC): Technology and n Partnerships for a Sustainable Energy Future December 6, 2015 at 12:00 am – December 9, 2015 at 12:00 am Qatar National Convention Centre, Doha, Qatar
- 9th International Petroleum Technology Conference (IPTC) December 6, 2015 at 9:00 am – December 9, 2015 at 5:00 pm , Doha, Qatar