JP Wood (@JamesWoodAR) has shared a tweet with you
Happy birthday to Stanley Kubrick who famously declared, “If it can be written or thought, it can be filmed.” @Criterion — Stephen O’Malley (@IdeologicOrgan)
- BP backs climate change transparency at AGM April 17, 2015An overwhelming majority of BP shareholders have backed a resolution forcing the company to be more transparent about its impact on climate change.
- A greener Apple: IT giant announces two new projects April 17, 2015Global IT giant Apple has announced it is greening its operations further by building more renewable energy capacity and offsetting its paper supply chain's impact.
- CEOs managing $1.2trn demand climate action April 17, 2015Chief executives of 43 companies have published an open letter to world leaders, calling for an "ambitious climate deal" in Paris 2015.
- Global renewable additions overtake 'dirty' fuels April 16, 2015The world is now adding more clean energy capacity than oil, gas and coal combined, according to new research from Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF).
- Diageo to slash water use in half April 15, 2015Drinks giant Diageo has vowed to improve its water efficiency by 50%, replenish water in water-stressed areas and return all waste water back to the environment as part of an ambitious new water stewardship strategy.
- Mobile network giant steps up commitment to be 'driver of change' on sustainability April 14, 2015Mobile technology giant Ericsson is on track to meet its carbon reduction target of 30% per employee by 2017, having achieved a 10% reduction in 2014.
- Can Japan's climate policy get back on track after Fukushima? April 17, 2015At the Kyoto summit Japan was a global leader in the fight against climate change, but post-Fukushima its emissions are rising and its reduction policy is in tatters, overshadowed by the debate over nuclear powerLess than two decades ago, Japan positioned itself in the vanguard of the global fight against climate change when it helped broker the Kyoto protoc […]Justin McCurry in Tokyo
- The week in wildlife – in pictures April 17, 2015A playful sea lion, a rare black flamingo and a huge jellyfish are among this week’s pick of images from the natural world Continue reading...Eric Hilaire
- Norway approves mine's controversial plan to dump waste into fjord April 17, 2015Activists promise protests after government green lights plan for mineral mine to dump millions of tonnes of tailings at spawning grounds for cod and salmonEnvironmentalists promised civil disobedience after Norway’s government approved a controversial plan for a mining company to dump millions of tonnes of waste into a fjord.“This is a fjord full of life – […]David Crouch in Gothenburg
- World Bank fossil fuel financing leapt in 2014 despite its calls to end subsidies April 17, 2015New analysis reveals funding of over $3bn for fossil fuel-related projects last year, despite repeated calls by bank’s president to scrap such ‘harmful’ global subsidiesThe World Bank increased its financing for fossil fuel projects in the last financial year, according to a new analysis, despite repeated calls by its president to end the global subsidies fo […]Karl Mathiesen
- Mary Robinson: Developing nations must move rapidly beyond fossil fuels April 17, 2015Rich world must support poorest countries to transition from fossil fuels much faster than they have to keep unburnable reserves in the ground, says UN climate change envoyTackling climate change will require developing countries to move beyond fossil fuels far more quickly than the rich world has managed, the United Nations envoy on climate change has warne […]Fiona Harvey
- Scotland's plastic bag usage down 80% since 5p charge introduced April 17, 2015Dramatic reduction reflects similar falls in single-use carrier bag consumption in Wales and Northern Ireland, with England to bring in charge this yearPlastic bag usage in Scotland has plummeted following the introduction of a 5p charge.Early figures from retailers show that single-use carrier bag usage has fallen by more than 80% since the charge was intro […]Nicola Slawson
- Finance January 23, 2013Short title: Finance Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- The origins of the Green Party – Eugenics and EuthanasiaThe Green Party's origins lie with the document 'Blue Print for Survival'; signatory (amongst others) Julian Huxley, eugenicist (selective human breeding), member of the British Eugenics Society, Fellow of the Royal Society.
- Locals Protest Outside Housing Exhibition.On Thursday April 16th 2015 many local people assembled outside Cambridge Corn Exchange in response to a property exhibition hosted there.
- National Trust VandalismFreshwater West
- World Bank Announces Package of Aid and Loans to Ebola-Affected CountriesThe World Bank announces $650 million in new concessional loans and grants for Sierra Leone, Guinea, and Liberia at the start of the Spring IMF and World Bank meetings.
- Memory of Volhynia massacre sacrificed for sake of ‘common European position onRegrettably a large part of Poles have forgotten the experience of the Second World War.
- Press release: Nottinghamshire landfill site shut down after enforcement action March 30, 2015Enforcement action led to a formal caution and a legal agreement resulting in the closure of a landfill site in Nottinghamshire, the Environment Agency announced today (27 March). In June 2013 the Environment Agency found that FCC Recycling (UK) Limited (also trading as FCC Environment), who operated the Dorket Head Landfill site in Arnold Nottinghamshire, h […]
- Press release: Lincoln man guilty of dumping waste near Leicestershire river March 30, 2015On 26 March 2015, Frank Nicklinson, 39, from Lincoln pleaded guilty at Leicester Magistrates Court to two offences relating to the illegal transportation and dumping of controlled waste on land at Lounge Colliery, Ashby Road, Ashby de la Zouch on 5 August 2014. Mr Nicklinson received a fine of £660, was ordered to pay costs of £1700 and a victim surcharge of […]
- Press release: Help plan the future and protect our environment - join the flood and coastal committee March 27, 2015This is an exciting opportunity for someone to support the Environment Agency and local authorities to create partnerships that fund and deliver projects for communities at risk. The RFCC plays a critical role in deciding local priorities for flood and coastal erosion risk management. One of the 3 new members will ideally be a conservation representative who […]
- Press release: Multi-agency clamp down on illegal scrap metal operators in Boston March 27, 2015The Environment Agency worked with Boston Borough Council, Lincolnshire County Council and Lincolnshire Police on 26 March to put a stop to illegal activity - and keep a level playing field for legitimate businesses to operate in the waste vehicle dismantling sector. Officers visited illegal vehicle dismantlers and unlicensed scrap metal dealers and carriers […]
- Press release: Waste company owner given suspended prison sentence for waste tyre offences March 25, 2015Andrew Mayhew pleaded guilty to 5 offences at Plymouth Crown Court of running a waste operation without the necessary permits, which involved dumping large numbers of tyres at several different sites including Hill Barton Business Park, Exeter; Moor Barton Farm in Tiverton, as well as Dawlish, North Tawton, and Hayedown industrial estate, Tavistock. At the h […]
- Celebrate election season with TORY SCUM wp.me/pPEwS-2oT 35 minutes ago
- Expanding rubber plantations ‘catastrophic’ for endangered species in Southeast Asia wp.me/pPEwS-2oS 36 minutes ago
- UK monitoring French nuclear issue wp.me/pPEwS-2oR 36 minutes ago
- Global Citizen 2015 Earth Day Live Stream wp.me/pPEwS-2oQ 36 minutes ago
- Civilizations wp.me/pPEwS-2oP 37 minutes ago
- Diversity is key to stability, grassland study finds wp.me/pPEwS-2oO 37 minutes ago
- RT @PETAUK: Hélène de Fougerolles speaks out against @AirFrance's transportation of monkeys to labs petauk.org/b427 http://t.co/ZijS… 40 minutes ago
- RT @AmyRoseKathryn: $10,000 reward offered in Arizona animal neglect case examiner.com/article/10-000… http://t.co/pQinxlXdBU 40 minutes ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
- Britain in the World. Q&A with Parliamentary Candidates April 23, 2015 at 6:00 pm Oxford Town Hall, St Aldates, Central Oxford OX1 1BX
Climate Change Events
- 6th INQUA International Workshop on Active Tectonics Paleoseismolo gy and Archaeoseismology April 19, 2015 – April 25, 2015 Pescina, Fucino Basin, Italy
- Joint Assembly AGU-GAC-MAC-CGU May 3, 2015 – May 8, 2015 Montreal, Canada
- 47th Liège Colloquium on Ocean Dynamics: "Marine Environmental Mo nitoring, Modelling and Prediction" May 4, 2015 – May 9, 2015 Liège, Belgium
- Comparative Tectonics and Geodynamics of Venus, Earth, and Rocky Exoplanets Workshop May 4, 2015 – May 7, 2015 Pasadena, California, USA
- Liège Colloquium on Marine Environmental Monitoring, Modelling a nd Prediction May 4, 2015 – May 9, 2015 Liège, Belgium
- IAIA15: Impact Assessment in the Digital Era April 20, 2015 at 9:15 am – April 23, 2015 at 5:00 pm Firenze Fiera Congress & Exhibition Center , Florence, Italy
- International Chemical and Oil Pollution Conference and Exhibition April 21, 2015 at 8:30 am – April 24, 2015 at 6:30 pm , , Singapore
- Global Water Summit: The Water Value Revolution April 27, 2015 at 12:00 am – 12:00 am , Athens, Greece
- IFC Sustainability Exchange May 20, 2015 at 9:00 am – May 21, 2015 at 5:00 pm , Washington, United States
- IWRA World Water Congress XV May 25, 2015 at 12:00 am – May 29, 2015 at 12:00 am , Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- WPC Leadership Conference May 26, 2015 at 9:00 am – May 28, 2015 at 6:00 pm , Tromso, Norway