Experts concerned after Bald Eagle poisoned
Originally posted on KFOR.com:
[ooyala code=”E0MnJiYTqEYv5wPxFn98ylrRKDRzgwVX” player_id=”df513009265e4427aaf5f0342a75c90e”]
NOBLE, Okla. – A bald eagle was poisoned earlier this month despite efforts of rescue workers to save it.
The poisoning of our national emblem is not a good sign for the safety of Oklahomans.
Rhondi Large said she makes it her mission to help heal animals struggling to survive.
When the bald eagle was brought to WildCare for treatment, Large knew right away something was very wrong.
“She just didn’t have the fight,” Large said. “She didn’t have the spunk, the fire, that normally they would have.”
Despite everything Large and her team could do, a few days later the bird died.
The cause? High levels of lead and rat poison.
“She was just way too toxic for us to be able to pull through,” she said.
This poisoning isn’t just a problem for animals, it’s a big problem for people as well.
Because animals often…
View original 206 more words
- Sustainability stats: This week in numbers September 4, 2015As we edge closer to the climate conference in Paris, this week saw a clash of horns over the energy we use. But that hasn't stopped some truly innovative green developments popping up across the globe, from Delhi to... Barnsley.
- Food firms must collaborate to unearth climate risks, says CDP September 3, 2015Some of the world's largest food, beverage and tobacco brands are missing out on significant financial and production quality gains by failing to mitigate climate risks and reduce carbon emissions, a new report has warned.
- Shell and Gazprom among companies backing 2C limit September 3, 2015More than a third of the world's largest listed companies, including major fossil fuel producers, say they would support an international deal limiting global warming to 2 degrees, according to research by CDP.
- Electric cars could feed power back into grid through wireless 'antennas' September 2, 2015German researchers have unveiled a prototype wireless system that allows a car to receive and discharge power to the grid from coils under a road or parking space.
- Food giant General Mills announces 10-year plan to slash emissions by 28% September 2, 2015US food producer General Mills has announced that it aims to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions by 28% across the entirety of its value chain in the next 10 years.
- India set to save £580m by installing 20 million LED streetlights September 2, 2015India's Ministry of Power has announced it will replace all conventional lightbulbs in streetlights and the domestic sector with LED bulbs by 2017.
- Older than the dinosaurs: Lamprey fish return to UK rivers after 200 years September 4, 2015Ancient eel-like fish is reclaiming its former river strongholds as water quailty improvesAn ancient fish blamed for the death of a king and served as a traditional royal dish is returning to parts of Britain where it has been absent for 200 years.Lampreys, a Medieval delicacy and eaten in a scene of Games of Thrones, evolved almost 200m years before the din […]Lewis Smith
- Plastic bag use down 70% in Wales since charges began September 4, 2015Almost three-quarters of consumers say they support the 5p charge that has raised millions for charities, report saysThe number of single-use plastic bags has declined by more than 70% since charges were introduced in Wales, a report reveals on Friday, weeks before a similar scheme is launched in England.According to the report, which was commissioned by the […]Steven Morris
- Greenpeace in India barred from receiving foreign funding September 4, 2015Indian government cancels license allowing Greenpeace to collect money from overseas, claiming NGO violated funding rules and withheld information India has cancelled a license allowing Greenpeace’s Indian arm to collect money from overseas, the organisation and Indian media said on Thursday, the latest move in a battle between the environmental group and pr […]Agence France-Presse
- EU diplomats reveal devastating impact of Ethiopia dam project on remote tribes September 3, 2015Lives of semi-nomadic tribespeople being irreversibly changed by relocation into poorly planned settlements to make way for sugar plantation, says released reportA controversial World Bank-funded scheme to dam a major Ethiopian river and import up to 500,000 people to work in what is planned to be one of the world’s largest sugar plantations has led to tens […]John Vidal
- Homeowner solar power subsidy cuts 'threaten 20,000 jobs' September 3, 2015Friends of the Earth says cuts to feed-in tariff payments for people with solar panels could stop more than 1GW of solar power being installed each yearGovernment plans to slash subsidies for solar panels on homes could cost more than 20,000 jobs, green campaigners have claimed.Ministers have announced proposals to cut the amount paid for domestic solar arra […]Press Association
- New economic thinking could help tackle the planetary and housing crises | Andrew Simms September 3, 2015Jeremy Corbyn’s ‘people’s quantitative easing’ for house building was derided by many, but to keep a roof over all our heads in the face of climate change it is time for fresh economic thinkingIf your house was slowly falling down, in serious danger of catching fire or getting repossessed you’d know something was wrong and needed changing. Yet, tens of milli […]Andrew Simms
- Finance January 23, 2013Short title: Finance Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- North East EDL member and BNP supporter from Stanley exposedNorth East EDL member and BNP supporter from Stanley, Durham exposed - Deborah Humphrey
- Philippines: Bongbong’s whitewashing of Marcos name anathema to 2016 plansAkbayan took exception to Senator Bongbong Marcos’s statement that there was no downside to being a Marcos should he decide to run for higher office in 2016.
- ‘Zionist’ Kiev Flies to the European Far Right for SupportCurrent meltdown in world financial markets, presaging global financial crisis, complete with ongoing conflicts in the Middle East, engineered super large scale movement of population from problem regions, as well as, feasible domestic opposition in Ukraine will necessarily lead to tipping the balance of forces between main political movements in Europe.
- Left is dead, -again-.Left is dead, -again-. English version of political analysis in Greece, from collective for social anarchism «Black & Red» [Thessaloniki July 2015]
- Handbook for student radicalsNew publication on student organising! Get it here - http://studenthandbook.ourproject.org
- Press release: Burringham flood defences settling in September 3, 2015Huge metal piles have been driven into the ground this summer to provide a strong defence against flooding, and as expected during the current high tides we are seeing some water seepage through the ground as the defences settle. The seepage is not a flood risk, is contained through the drainage system and is expected to diminish as the ground settles. Morga […]
- Press release: Bromsgrove recycling facility environmental permit application September 3, 2015The public drop-in session will be held on Thursday 10 September between 15:30 and 20:00 at: Fairfield Village Hall Stourbridge Road Bromsgrove The aim of the drop-in is to speak to local residents and answer any questions about the environmental permit application which has been applied for by Ballast Phoenix Limited to operate an Incinerator Bottom Ash (IB […]
- Press release: Does your oil tank leak? September 2, 2015It is also the time of year when the Environment Agency urges people to check their oil tanks to protect the environment and reduce the risk of potentially large financial losses. Leaked oil can end up in drains, many of which lead directly to rivers, streams, lakes and even garden ponds, having the same effect as pouring it directly into the watercourse. Oi […]
- Press release: Survey competition reaps rewards on Tees September 2, 2015Eighty anglers took part in the Environment Agency’s ‘Survey Match’ on Sunday – which saw competitors record the species, numbers and weights of fish caught. This provides valuable data to the Environment Agency and Tees River Trust to help in the management of the river and inform future fisheries projects for the River Tees. Anglers who returned a survey c […]
- Press release: Slough Flood Alleviation Scheme: have your say September 1, 2015The Environment Agency and Slough Borough Council are offering local residents, businesses and community groups the chance to comment on potential options for a proposed flood alleviation scheme in Slough. There are over 2,500 properties at risk of river and surface water flooding in Slough with floods experienced as recently as 2009, 2012 and 2014. The Envi […]
- RT @Freja_Petersen: Chinese wildlife park 'entertains' visitors by forcing bears to fight dailym.ai/1LDmP6A via @MailOnline http://t.c… 5 days ago
- Over in Dunoon. Weather unusually good. http://t.co/w4CDK0jW6V 2 weeks ago
- My new rat build. http://t.co/FqeFxHYs89 2 weeks ago
- RT @Piekne_Kobiety: good morning bike? http://t.co/Rt6Cu1hjxr 3 weeks ago
- RT @olaciupa: Walencja ☺️🌍 http://t.co/KqShmDvtwV 3 weeks ago
- On the road with my street fighter. http://t.co/4iiaoXrDsp 3 weeks ago
- RT @boycottdenmark: Bojkotu duńskich produktów #BoycottDenmark ze względu na rzeź waleni na Wyspach Owczych! http://t.co/u0UtBx82cA 3 weeks ago
- RT @easy_rideuses: L'important à #moto : Les courbes, les lignes et le regard http://t.co/sJWQBbVzGn 3 weeks ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
- Oxford Tenants Union Meeting September 16, 2015 at 5:30 pm – 8:00 pm OARC, East Oxford Community Centre
Climate Change Events
- 14th International Workshop on Modelling of Mantle and Lithosphere Dynamics August 31, 2015 – September 6, 2015 Olerons, France
- 20th International Conference on deformation mechanisms, rheology and tectonics September 7, 2015 – September 12, 2015 Aachen, Germany
- Emile Argand Conference on Alpine Geological Studies September 13, 2015 – September 20, 2015 Montgenèvre, France
- The interaction of fire and mankind September 14, 2015 – September 16, 2015 London, UK
- Pedometrics 2015 September 14, 2015 – September 19, 2015 Córdoba, Spain
- B4E Climate Summit 2015 September 9, 2015 at 9:00 am – September 10, 2015 at 5:00 pm , London, United Arab Emirates
- Sustainable Procurement & Supply Summit September 22, 2015 at 9:00 am – 5:00 pm , London, United Kingdom
- Reporting Working Group meeting September 29, 2015 at 9:00 am – October 1, 2015 at 1:00 pm Tullow Oil, London, United Kingdom
- Eye on Earth Summit 2015 October 6, 2015 at 8:00 am – October 8, 2015 at 5:00 pm The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- 2015 Annual Meetings of the World Bank Group and the International Monetary n Fund October 9, 2015 at 9:00 am – October 11, 2015 at 5:00 pm , Lima, Peru
- Employee Health and Wellbeing Conference October 11, 2015 at 8:30 am – October 13, 2015 at 5:00 pm , Doha, Qatar