DEEP Officers Who Helped At Sandy Hook Among Those To Be Honored
MERIDEN, Conn. (AP) _ Connecticut officials will be honoring the good work of state environmental conservation police officers.
The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection has scheduled an awards ceremony for 6 p.m. at the Connecticut State Police Museum in Meriden.
Department Commissioner Daniel Esty says awards will be given this year to 11 environmental conservation officers who responded to the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown in December. A gunman killed 20 first-graders, six adults and himself at the school, after shooting his mother to death at their home.
Esty said the 11 officers helped evacuate the school and search the building.
Also receiving awards are three DEEP emergency dispatchers and the Maine Warden Service critical incident stress debriefing team.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- 28 days later: What we know so far about the climate impact of Trump December 8, 2016In the first 28 days since Donald Trump's presidential triumph in the US elections, edie analysis what impact the climate denier's victory has had on the green economy.
- Google to be powered 100% by renewable energy from 2017 December 7, 2016Google's data centres and the offices for its 60,000 staff will be powered entirely by renewable energy from next year, in what the company has called a "landmark moment".
- How BMW is revving up for for an electric vehicle circular economy December 7, 2016EXCLUSIVE: The ongoing electrification of the transport sector looks set to open up new avenues for improved resource management and closed-loop practices for carmakers looking to push beyond regulatory compliance, BMW's environmental programmes manager has said.
- Patagonia donates $10m Black Friday sales to environmental grassroots December 2, 2016American clothing firm Patagonia has raised $10m for environmental grassroots nonprofits, after donating 100% of the global sales that it generated from Black Friday.
- States and regions putting Paris goals within reach, but only in the short-term December 1, 2016States and regions including California, Rio De Janeiro, Wales and Scotland are implementing "exemplary" near-term ambitions to place a 2C-world within reach, although a lack of long-term targets could stunt progress after 2030.
- 'Long, loud and legal' policies crucial to supporting low-carbon transition, says Ikea chief November 30, 2016The growing megatrends surrounding demographical evolution, decarbonisation and digitalisation will increase the need for the private sector to inform policymakers of the types of legislation that are needed to support low-carbon growth, Ikea's chief sustainability officer Steve Howard has claimed.
- Trump picks climate change sceptic Scott Pruitt to lead EPA December 8, 2016Donald Trump’s latest cabinet pick is a clear signal of Republicans’ desire to dismantle Obama’s climate legacyScott Pruitt, attorney general of Oklahoma and a sceptic of climate science, has been chosen by Donald Trump as the next administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency. Related: Leonardo DiCaprio talks environment and jobs with Donald Trump Co […]Oliver Milman
- Standing Rock activists wait out heavy snows with 'fire cider' and songs December 8, 2016Despite below-freezing temperatures and a victory to reroute the pipeline earlier this week, people were still out and about at the main encampmentThe sun came out over the Standing Rock encampments on Wednesday, after two days of blizzard dumped a fresh blanket of snow on the tipis, army tents and shelters still standing here. But in North Dakota, the snow […]Julia Carrie Wong in Cannon Ball, North Dakota
- Potential Export-Import Bank deals pose grave environmental threat, experts say December 7, 2016Congress declines to revive agency’s authority to pursue $20bn in delayed deals, putting fate of several ecosystems around the world in the hands of TrumpCongress quashed the hopes late Tuesday of reviving the United States’ export credit agency, which had been aiming for a stopgap lifeline allowing them to approve more than $20bn in new deals, many of which […]Hannah Furfaro
- Dakota Access company takes its battle to finish oil pipeline to court December 7, 2016Move comes after Energy Transfer Partners was denied a key permit to drill under the Missouri river, and as Standing Rock leader urges protesters to go homeEnergy Transfer Partners, the company behind the Dakota Access pipeline, has responded to the Army Corps of Engineers’ denial of a key permit by asking a federal judge to allow it to drill under the Misso […]Julia Carrie Wong in Cannon Ball, North Dakota
- Google, Apple, Facebook race towards 100% renewable energy target December 6, 2016A global campaign to promote 100% renewable energy use in the business world means more Silicon Valley giants are now investing in solar and wind electricityTech giants are jockeying to be the first to hit a 100% renewable energy goal. Google, which has invested in solar and wind energy for a decade, intends to get there by 2017.Google is the largest corpora […]Alison Moodie
- Standing Rock activists stay in place, fearing pipeline victory was a 'trick' December 5, 2016Though the US denied a permit for the Dakota Access pipeline, many worry that the Trump administration and the pipeline company could reverse the decisionNative American activists at the Standing Rock “water protector” camps vowed to remain in place the morning after the US Army Corps of Engineers denied a key permit for the Dakota Access pipeline, with many […]Julia Carrie Wong in Cannon Ball, North Dakota
- Divest January 23, 2013Short title: Divest Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- #ANTIFA: #TEDDYBEARS #PICNIC @slatukip @dubdanu @siegfails @misscheeky666 @JLRFBLESS THAN thirty brazen little crybabies escaped the clutches of mummy and daddy to parked their prams in Hyde Park for their annual Teddybears Trump Picnic, whilst policemen in riot gear stood guard for the nasty big bogeymen from the UAF, who had threatened to turn up and spoil the fun of the little Angels and cherubs of the EDL's Hitler Pre-School Di […]
- Ambulance Targeting Was Based On Turkish DisinformationIt was an American-made helicopter abusing the name of a First Nations tribe which penetrated Syrian territory coming from Golan late June, in bright daylight approached a nameless Czech-made ambulance car, and fired a B7EV type air-to-ground missile killing a patient plus other inmates en route to a civilian hospital. One of many, too many casualties in a f […]
- Ex-Royal Military Policeman accused of harassing Sussex Police Commissioner KatySussex Police and Crime Commissioner Katy Bourne is being harassed by an ex- Royal Military Policeman, while Sussex Police stand by allowing it to continue.
- What is Grybauskaite silent about?As early as the beginning of the first presidential term, at the meeting with members of Lithuanian National Security and Defence Committee, Dalia Grybauskaite took up the question of making public materials, stored in the archives and connected with the activities of KGB and other secret services, worked in Lithuania. "Lustration has to be finished by […]
- Abu Sayyaf Release Australian Alternative Therapist for GoodDespite a recent surge of violence on the archipelago, militants in the Philippine Islands this week set free an Australian hostage they had held in captivity for three years. The 38 year old Raph Ader who had been vacationing in a local community aside from the overcrowded beaches was abducted during a speed boat round trip in the area, of which his wife ha […]
- Press release: Work starting on Selly Park South flood risk management scheme December 7, 2016The Environment Agency have worked in partnership with St Andrew’s Healthcare, Birmingham City Council and other organisations to develop the Selly Park Flood Risk Management Scheme to help reduce the risk of flooding. The area of Selly Park South has a history of flooding from the River Rea, most notably in 2008 when some residents were forced to move out o […]
- Press release: Environment Agency limits pollution damage to Lewes stream December 6, 2016Having been notified of the incident at 8:15am on Wednesday 30 November 2016, pollution officers took samples to identify the source of the slurry which had entered the Plumpton Mill Stream, a tributary of the River Ouse. To reduce the impact of the pollution, water flow at local weirs was held back and the watercourse was oxygenated using aerating pumps. Op […]
- Press release: Environment Agency report shows how £21 million of rod licence money helps angling December 6, 2016The Environment Agency has today released the annual fisheries report detailing how the £21 million in rod licence income was distributed by the agency and its partners to protect and enhance angling and fisheries between April 2015 and March 2016. In 2015/16, the Environment Agency used rod licence money to restock England’s rivers with 452,220 coarse fish, […]
- Press release: Annual maintenance work begins on Kidderminster flood scheme December 2, 2016Today (Friday 2 December 2016), the Environment Agency has started maintenance work on the Kidderminster Flood Scheme and River Stour which flows through Puxton Marsh SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest). The work, which will take place over the next week, will involve the pruning of willows branches blocking the watercourse and removal of fallen trees […]
- Press release: Signs of a salmon resurgence on Somerset river December 1, 2016Heavy rain invariably brings fears of flooding, but there’s one creature that looks forward to a spell of wet and wintry weather – the Atlantic salmon. Good numbers of these impressive fish have been seen on the River Tone this autumn as they migrate upstream to their spawning grounds. Sightings have included salmon leaping weirs and ascending fish passes in […]
- No Expression with Detention. The society we live in where BB and CCTV prevents freedoms. 20 minutes ago
- RT @guardian: Giraffe facing extinction after devastating decline, experts warn trib.al/IPw3qGg 2 hours ago
- RT @CECHR_UoD: A bunch of carbon dioxide that's been trapped in the soil is starting to escape... businessinsider.com.au/hidden-carbon-… HT @SuenGift http… 2 hours ago
- RT @beerer_yolando: Stay Away From This Kind Of Salmon! This Is What Specialists Say About It savingzev.viralsmesh.com/client/eVVWe/e… 2 hours ago
- RT @BijinChihiro: SHAMEFUL! @myFWC renews license for abuse! Exhibitor of #Nosey allowed to continue to work her to death. #Life4Nosey http… 2 days ago
- RT @BiffyFamily: [December 5 2014] Throwback #BiffyBarras Night 1: Blackened sky x Puzzle. ❤️ https://t.co/uZLhd9vlWu 2 days ago
- RT @EsotericExposal: It would be very difficult to understate just how obsessed many members of the global elite are with population contro… 2 days ago
- RT @avendano_jani27: Chinese People Created The Live Keychains, They Are Committing Series Of Crimes! savingzev.viralsmesh.com/client/eVVWe/b… 2 days ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- AGU Fall Meeting 2016 December 12, 2016 – December 16, 2016 San Francisco, USA
- 40th Annual Winter Meeting of the Mineral Deposits Studies Group December 19, 2016 – December 21, 2016 Bristol, UK
- 2017 Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction December 22, 2016 – December 26, 2016 Cancun, Mexico
- TSG Annual General Meeting (Joint Assembly) January 4, 2017 – January 6, 2017 Liverpool, UK
- Workshop on Technology-critical elements: Natural Cycles, Anthropogenic Sources and Environmental Impacts January 18, 2017 – January 19, 2017 Tel-Aviv, Israel
No upcoming events