DEEP Officers Who Helped At Sandy Hook Among Those To Be Honored
MERIDEN, Conn. (AP) _ Connecticut officials will be honoring the good work of state environmental conservation police officers.
The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection has scheduled an awards ceremony for 6 p.m. at the Connecticut State Police Museum in Meriden.
Department Commissioner Daniel Esty says awards will be given this year to 11 environmental conservation officers who responded to the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown in December. A gunman killed 20 first-graders, six adults and himself at the school, after shooting his mother to death at their home.
Esty said the 11 officers helped evacuate the school and search the building.
Also receiving awards are three DEEP emergency dispatchers and the Maine Warden Service critical incident stress debriefing team.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Ireland's national stadium goes 100% renewable for Six Nations February 5, 2016Aviva stadium, home of the Ireland rugby team will be fully powered by renewable energy for the upcoming 2016 Six Nations tournament, becoming the first stadium in the competition to be so.
- Google and Ministry of Defence testing solar-powered drones February 4, 2016The world's skylines could soon be littered with high-altitude, autonomous, solar-powered drones after it was revealed that tech giant Google and the UK Ministry of Defence have acquired drones in efforts to boost communication methods.
- Easyjet's hybrid 'plane of the future' set for takeoff February 2, 2016The UK's largest airline has unveiled plans to develop a hybrid plane featuring a hydrogen fuel cell which could save around 50,000 tonnes of fuel a year.
- Paris goals will cost $12 trillion, says Bloomberg February 1, 2016More than $12trn will need to be invested in new renewable power generation over the next 25 years to achieve the climate goals laid out in the Paris agreement, according to a new report from research group Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF) and sustainability non-profit Ceres.
- Sustainability stats: This week in numbers January 29, 2016While New Year's resolutions to give up alcohol or head to the gym are strained or even broken, this week saw the continued commitment to building a sustainable future - even if some sectors are struggling to shed those stubborn carbon footprints.
- ExxonMobil explores biofuel extraction from agricultural waste January 27, 2016Oil powerhouse ExxonMobil will explore new ways of producing biofuel from agricultural waste, after agreeing a partnership with biodiesel producers Renewable Energy Group (REG).
- Flint Lives Matter: residents say Hillary Clinton ‘coming for the entertainment’ February 7, 2016While some praise the candidate’s visit for bringing attention to the city as its water crisis continues, others see a candidate plying a cause ‘just to get votes’Hillary Clinton has made every effort to make Flint her own. The water crisis afflicting this predominantly black Michigan city – ignored by Washington politicians for years – has become another ba […]Lucia Graves in Flint, Michigan
- The waterless toilet that turns your poo into power February 7, 2016UK researchers have created a self-sustaining nano-membrane toilet that could provide a safe alternative to open defecation and public lavatoriesHuman excrement is rife with pathogens, “odorant volatiles” (the chemicals that make it smell) and parasites, but it has something going for it: it’s about 75% water. What’s more, water is the smallest of all its co […]Oliver Balch
- ‘The cycling boom is fantastic – but I miss having London to myself’ February 7, 2016When bicycle courier Emily Chappell first rode through the capital 10 years ago, she discovered a side of the city hidden from other road users. With cyclists in central London forecast to soon outnumber drivers, she looks at how the streets, and her part in them, have changedI was shocked to realise last week that I’m approaching the 10-year anniversary of […]Emily Chappell
- Bitter battle to save King Lear’s green valley from the developers February 7, 2016A court ruling has backed Dover council’s decision to allow builders into an area of outstanding natural beautyConservationists and historians are digging in for a last-ditch defence of a sliver of “sacrosanct” ancient Kentish meadow and woods, protected in law but set to be the location for a large housing and leisure development.The fight for the Farthingl […]Robin Stummer
- Brazil’s sprawling favelas bear the brunt of Zika February 7, 2016Efforts to stamp out the mosquito that carries the virus are undermined by poverty in the most vulnerable areasWith rubber gloves, a plastic container full of larvicide and the official badge of Rio de Janeiro’s epidemic control department, Gilberto de Souza gains permission to enter the home of a stranger in the Vila Canoas favela, in one of the latest miss […]Jonathan Watts in Rio de Janeiro
- New York investigates radioactive leak in groundwater near city February 6, 2016Governor Andrew Cuomo orders review following detection of ‘alarming levels of radioactivity’ at nuclear power plant 40 miles north of ManhattanRadioactive material has leaked into the groundwater below a nuclear power plant north of New York City, prompting a state investigation on Saturday and condemnation from governor Andrew Cuomo.Cuomo ordered an invest […]Sam Thielman and Alan Yuhas in New York
- Finance January 23, 2013Short title: Finance Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- #PEGIDA MURDERERS @ant1fane #ANTIFA @dubdanu @seigfails @JLRFB @uaf @tellmamaukTommy Robinson hypocritically talked to the media about banning nazis and racists from his neo-nazi gathering, however, enlisting his team of former EDL and BNP heavies to do the security, meant racist murderers participated in the march. EDL security thug Andrew Currien from Lanesfield near Wolverhampton and Daryl Rickhuss were part of a gang convicted in 2 […]
- #PEGIDA #MURDERERS @dubdanu #ANTIFA @slatukip @siegfails @JLRFB @misscheeky666Tommy Robinson hypocritically talked to the media about banning nazis and racists from his neo-nazi gathering, however, enlisting his team of former EDL and BNP heavies to do the security, meant racist murderers participated in the march. EDL security thug Andrew Currien from Lanesfield near Wolverhampton and Daryl Rickhuss were part of a gang convicted in 2 […]
- #PEGIDA DAMP SQUIB @slatukip #ANTIFA @JLRFB @misscheeky666 @tellmamauk #edlThe "not-so-great" and the "not-so-good" turned out to march from Birmingham Airport's station to a carpark in the middle of nowhere for their spectacular opening fascist event. EDLers turned up in their dozens hoping for some action, having snorted nostils-full of regular marching powder, however in the damp Midlands drizzle, their […]
- #PEGIDA DAMP SQUIB @slatukip #ANTIFA @siegfails @misscheeky666 @hopenothate #edlThe "not-so-great" and the "not-so-good" turned out to march from Birmingham Airport's station to a carpark in the middle of nowhere for their spectacular opening fascist event. EDLers turned up in their dozens hoping for some action, having snorted nostils-full of regular marching powder, however in the damp Midlands drizzle, their […]
- #PEGIDA BUCKET FANNIES @siegfails #ANTIFA @slatukip @misscheeky666 @JLRFBTommy Tit found a use for the posh Tory-Boy Kippers attending his demos......
- Press release: Storm force winds will lead to increased coastal flood risk February 7, 2016A combination of gales, high tides and heavy showers will lead to an increased flood risk. On Sunday night and into Monday storm force winds are expected to lead to overtopping waves and spray for south-west and south of England, particularly the Devon and Cornwall coasts, the Bristol Channel, and parts of the Kent and Sussex coastline. It is possible that w […]
- Press release: Weekend flood outlook – persistent rain and gales forecast February 5, 2016The Met Office is forecasting persistent and at times heavy rain during much of Saturday and into Sunday morning across the south-west and parts of southern and central England. There is a risk some communities may experience river and surface water flooding of properties and of roads, particularly in south west counties from Hampshire through to Cornwall an […]
- Press release: Environmental improvement work will benefit Peterborough February 5, 2016Wildlife, water and communities are set to benefit from improvements to the environment starting this week in Peterborough, led by the Environment Agency. The Werrington Brook Improvements programme, starting with a 417-metre stretch of Marholm Brook, near Lincoln road, will see work take place to improve water quality and create better habitats. The five-ye […]
- Press release: Culvert clearance to reduce flood risk February 4, 2016The Environment Agency is carrying out work to remove blockages and silt from culverts in a £475,000 project to reduce the risk of flooding to around 1,000 homes in the North East. This month, silt will be removed from culverts at Chapel Beck in Guisborough, Cocker Beck in Darlington, and Loftus Beck in Loftus. Environment Agency contractors will remove bloc […]
- Press release: Car scrap business owner fined by court February 4, 2016The court heard that the sites used by James Darke, for his JapScrap company over a 2-year period, were ‘unsightly with a clear risk of pollution’. The case was brought by the Environment Agency. Darke, of The Sidings, Bugle, was fined after pleading guilty to depositing, keeping and breaking waste vehicles at Unit C, South West Business Park, St Cleer, with […]
- I saved a @YouTube playlist youtube.com/playlist?list=… Bob Ross - The Joy 4 hours ago
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/XTaCoRM-HVo?a Abandoned Old Car Dealership Full Of Classics! 2 days ago
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/M1RTCp3dcIo?a Inside the abandoned buildings under Lake Mead 2 days ago
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/w7qEHd2XGIo?a Jenny Scordamaglia Twinkling Dress Bottom is Showing Clearly Awesome Show 2 days ago
- Ghost Rider 1 - The Final Ride youtu.be/jySqs1XJmLQ 6 days ago
- Check out my motorcycle Scotland events group on Facebook. Its the only place that centralises events in Scotland. 1 week ago
- RT @AnimalRRights: North Carolina Landowners Express Support for Recovery of Endan rightrelevance.com/search/article… via @endangered https://t.co/NmH… 1 week ago
- RT @Animal_Watch: The Spanish bullfighter who took his baby into the ring is facing investigation ind.pn/1OPOVKT @Independent http… 1 week ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- Tectonics, Structural Geology and Geology of Crystalline Rocks (TSK16) March 1, 2016 – March 6, 2016 Bonn, Germany
- New Currents in Science: The Challenges of Quality March 3, 2016 – March 4, 2016 Ispra, Italy
- 76th Annual Meeting of the German Geophysical Society (DGG) March 14, 2016 – March 17, 2016 Muenster, Germany
- 2016 Conference on Big Data from Space March 15, 2016 – March 17, 2016 Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
- NAC+ 2016 March 21, 2016 – March 23, 2016 Edinburgh, UK
- 4th Session of Plenary Intergovernmental platform on biodiversity and n ecosystem services (IPBES) February 22, 2016 at 9:00 am – February 28, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- SPE HSE International Conference April 11, 2016 at 9:00 am – April 13, 2016 at 4:00 pm , Stavanger, Norway
- Global Water Summit 2016 April 19, 2016 at 8:00 am – April 20, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Sustainable Extractives Forum: how to manage risk and navigate uncertainty. April 27, 2016 at 9:30 am – April 28, 2016 at 5:30 pm , London, United Kingdom
- IPIECA-IOGP Health Committee meeting April 28, 2016 at 7:30 am – April 29, 2016 at 11:00 am Statoil USA E&P, Houston, Texas, United States
- IPIECA-IOGP Health Committee Meeting April 28, 2016 at 1:00 pm – April 29, 2016 at 5:00 pm Statoil U.K. Limited, London, United Kingdom