DEEP Officers Who Helped At Sandy Hook Among Those To Be Honored
MERIDEN, Conn. (AP) _ Connecticut officials will be honoring the good work of state environmental conservation police officers.
The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection has scheduled an awards ceremony for 6 p.m. at the Connecticut State Police Museum in Meriden.
Department Commissioner Daniel Esty says awards will be given this year to 11 environmental conservation officers who responded to the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown in December. A gunman killed 20 first-graders, six adults and himself at the school, after shooting his mother to death at their home.
Esty said the 11 officers helped evacuate the school and search the building.
Also receiving awards are three DEEP emergency dispatchers and the Maine Warden Service critical incident stress debriefing team.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Electric cars to become 'hallmark' of VW's portfolio April 29, 2016Automotive giant Volkswagen (VW) has unveiled new transformative outlines for its future projections, which will see the company make electric vehicles (EVs) its new "hallmark", in an attempt to rectify the recent emissions-rigging scandal.
- The low-carbon revolution: Around the world in numbers April 29, 2016With the dust settling on a memorable Earth Day which saw 175 global heads of state from around the world officially sign the Paris Agreement, individual nations have been busy introducing a variety of green policy drivers aimed at curbing climate change.
- 'Radical action' needed to push towards zero-carbon future April 28, 2016The implementation of "radical action" will be necessary to drive the transition to zero-carbon energy systems and to keep global temperature rise below 2°C, according to a newly formed coalition of global commissioners.
- How Jacobs and Dunlop are engineering a green industrial revolution April 29, 2016EXCLUSIVE: With question marks still looming over the Tata Steel crisis, manufacturers large and small are taking steps to ensure that energy-intensive industries aren't left behind in the global movement to a low-carbon future.
- Palm oil giant sets 'fully traceable' supply chain goal for 2020 April 27, 2016The world's second largest palm oil plantation company has told edie it wants to achieve "greater awareness of the production practices in the supply chain" as it sets itself an ambitious goal of 100% traceability to plantation by 2020.
- Biodiesel worse for the environment than fossil fuels, warn green campaigners April 26, 2016Instead of reducing levels of pollution, the use of biodiesel in transport will increase emissions by 4% - the same as putting an extra 12 million cars on the road in 2020 - green campaigners have said.
- Activists launch fresh court challenge over Carmichael coalmine May 2, 2016Australian Conservation Foundation argues emissions from coal mined from Adani’s project will put the Great Barrier Reef at risk by exacerbating climate changeA landmark case pitting the Great Barrier Reef against Adani’s proposed Carmichael coalmine begins in the federal court on Tuesday.The Australian Conservation Foundation (ACF) is arguing that environme […]Michael Slezak
- Labor policy could increase power prices by 8% to 25%, economist says May 2, 2016Danny Price, who helped devise the Coalition’s climate policy, says Labor scheme to shut brown-coal generators would lead to higher pricesA little-noticed part of Labor’s climate policy could push up retail power prices by between 8% and 25%, economist Danny Price has claimed, with price hikes in Victoria exceeding the impact of the former Labor government’s […]Lenore Taylor Political editor
- Berta Cáceres murder: four men arrested over Honduran activist's death May 2, 2016Honduras officials report arrests of two people linked to company building hydroelectric dam which Cáceres had foughtFour men have been arrested in connection with the murder of the Honduran indigenous activist Berta Cáceres, who was shot dead at her home two months ago.Two of those arrested are linked to the company building a hydroelectric dam which Cácere […]Nina Lakhani in Mexico City
- Ethiopia's farmers fight devastating drought with land restoration May 2, 2016Ethiopia has confirmed its commitment to restore its degraded lands to improve food security and biodiversity. Now, it’s looking to the private sector for supportEthiopia is in the midst of the worst drought in 50 years. Famine and malnutrition have now spread to 443 of the country’s 750 districts. Earlier this month, the United Nations Office for the Coordi […]Duncan Gromko
- EU vote too important to be dominated by Tory politics, says minister May 2, 2016Environment secretary Liz Truss appeals to supporters of other parties to vote for UK to remain in the European UnionA Conservative cabinet minister has made a direct plea to supporters of other political parties to vote in favour of Britain’s membership of the EU by warning that Brexit would be a “hugely retrograde step” for the environment. In an exclusive […]Anushka Asthana Political editor
- Lazy Britons are missing out on the joy of walking | Phil Daoust May 2, 2016Half of us are reluctant to get on our feet for more than 20 minutes. Compared to the progress made on cycling, for walkers it’s been pedestrianIf you live in Britain, and you’re enjoying day three of the bank holiday weekend, you may already be dreading going back to work – not just the grind of the office or factory, but the misery of getting there. If you […]Phil Daoust
- Divest January 23, 2013Short title: Divest Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Article 50 is a poisoned chalice – Don’t drink from itThose promoting Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty as the only way to leave the EU are leading us into a maze of delay and sharp practice
- #ALERTA #ANTIFA: #BLUEHAND #NAZI AGENDA @slatukip @misscheeky666 @dubdanu @JLRFBLike all fascist organisations, the fledgling neo-nazi #bluehand organisation which never really got off the ground, led by an ageing racist James Bond fantasist, harbour absolutely vile views little different from Adolf Hitler himself. While #bluehand do their utmost to keep their hatred of Jewish people secret, posting occasional meaningless pro-Israel twe […]
- ALERTA ANTIFA: #BLUEHAND NAZI AGENDA @slatukip @misscheeky666 @dubdanu @JLRFBLike all fascist organisations, the fledgling neo-nazi #bluehand gang which never really got off the ground, led by a James Bond fantasist, harbour absolutely vile views little different from Adolf Hitler himself. While #bluehand do their utmost to keep their hatred of Jewish people secret, posting occasional meaningless pro-Israel tweets to keep up a flimsy […]
- ALERTA ANTIFA: #BLUEHAND NAZI AGENDA @slatukip @dubdanu @misscheeky666 @JLRFBLike all fascist organisations, the fledgling neo-nazi #bluehand organisation which never really got off the ground, led by a James Bond fantasist, harbour absolutely vile views little different from Adolf Hitler himself. While #bluehand do their utmost to keep their hatred of Jewish people secret, posting occasional meaningless pro-Israel tweets to keep up […]
- Philippines: Duterte tells CHR, women's groups: Go to hell!MANILA - Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte on Wednesday told the Commission on Human Rights (CHR) and those who filed a complaint against him on account of his alleged offensive remarks on rape to go to hell.
- Press release: Yorkshire Water fined £1.1million for illegal sewage discharge April 29, 2016Yorkshire Water has been fined £1.1million for illegally discharging sewage that polluted the River Ouse near York. Yorkshire Water Services Ltd was sentenced on Friday 29 April at Leeds Crown Court, after previously admitting three environmental offences relating to the operation of its Naburn treatment works in Fulford. The Environment Agency prosecuted th […]
- Press release: Reducing flood risk in Appleby, Cumbria April 29, 2016The Environment Agency has completed construction work to improve flood defences near the swimming pool in Appleby, and will soon start repairs at Holme Farm Bridge. The Environment Agency has replaced the 23 demountable steel gates which previously ran across the swimming pool car park with a permanent flood defence wall. The gates, which were over 20 years […]
- Press release: Reducing flood risk in Glenridding, Cumbria April 29, 2016Improvements to flood defences are underway this week as the Environment Agency starts work on a new wall to protect residents from flooding in the village of Glenridding in Cumbria. The new flood defence wall, which will be 140 metres in length and a metre above the ground, is designed to provide flood protection to residents and properties along the bank o […]
- Press release: New Charminster Bridge to be opened by MP Oliver Letwin April 29, 2016The village of Charminster will celebrate the official opening of its long-awaited flood alleviation scheme. Cutting the ribbon will be government minister and local MP Oliver Letwin. Charminster has a history of flooding, the worst occurring in 2000 and 2014. The problem was caused by Charminster Bridge that was unable to cope with high flows in the River C […]
- Press release: Dorset river improvements now allow fish to migrate upstream April 29, 2016It is now easier for salmon and sea trout to migrate up some of Dorset’s best known rivers thanks to the efforts of a unique partnership that has been working to boost fish numbers by removing man-made obstacles such as hatches and weirs. Improvements at 10 sites on the Rivers Frome, Piddle, Asker and Brit have made it possible for fish to swim upstream to s […]
- RT @pewtrusts: Less than 3% of Pacific bluefin remain. It’s critical to act now: pew.org/1MSPwym https://t.co/xPVpDAix4m 1 day ago
- RT @StopWolfHunt: A peek at the bloodbath we ended in as we tried to human shield the #wolves via @CarolaAnkar #SaveSweWolves https://t.co… 1 day ago
- RT @RealAlexJones: EU Prepares Military Police Force to Shut Down Protests - infowars.com/eu-prepares-mi… 1 day ago
- This is my Suzuki street fighter before new mods. Will upload another when finished. instagram.com/p/BE4e-YKQZ6y/ 1 day ago
- RT @AnimalRRights: Express crusade: Stop the cruelty and JAIL sick animal abusers rightrelevance.com/search/article… https://t.co/aUgwT7wn7x 1 day ago
- RT @DmitryLysenko3: The horror begins to end when you #GoVegan Retweet https://t.co/6V8dAjVusI 1 day ago
- RT @DmitryLysenko3: #Vegan: because you know this is wrong! Retweet https://t.co/fskl6C3s0s 1 day ago
- RT @Protect_Wldlife: Goodnight fellow wildlife warriors. Lions, sleep safely in the knowledge we are FIGHTING for you! #BanTrophyHunting h… 1 day ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- 8th International Workshop on Sand/Duststorms and Associated Dustfall (DUSTworkshop8) May 1, 2016 – May 4, 2016 Lisbon, Portugal
- Circular economy in the built environment: launch of the BAMB stakeholder network May 3, 2016 Brussels, Belguim
- 2016 Himalayan – Karakorum – Tibet Workshop May 7, 2016 – May 12, 2016 Aussois, France
- ESA Living Planet Symposium May 9, 2016 – May 13, 2016 Prague, Czech Republic
- Seismix 2016 May 15, 2016 – May 20, 2016 Macdonald Aviemore Resort, Aviemore, Scotland
- IFC Water Valuation and Risk in the Financial sector webinar May 12, 2016 at 3:00 pm – 3:00 pm , Online, United Kingdom
- Second session of the United Nations Environment Assembly May 23, 2016 at 12:00 am – May 27, 2016 at 12:00 am UNEP Headquarters, Nairobi, Kenya
- 50th Meeting of the GEF Council June 6, 2016 at 9:00 am – June 9, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Washington DC, United States
- World Water Week 2016 August 27, 2016 at 9:00 am – September 2, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Stockholm, Sweden
- IUCN World Conservation Congress September 1, 2016 at 9:00 am – September 10, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Hawaii, United States
- IWA World Water Congress and Exhibitions (Brisbane) October 9, 2016 at 9:00 am – October 13, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Brisbane, QLD, Australia