DEEP Officers Who Helped At Sandy Hook Among Those To Be Honored
Originally posted on CBS Connecticut:
MERIDEN, Conn. (AP) _ Connecticut officials will be honoring the good work of state environmental conservation police officers.
The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection has scheduled an awards ceremony for 6 p.m. at the Connecticut State Police Museum in Meriden.
Department Commissioner Daniel Esty says awards will be given this year to 11 environmental conservation officers who responded to the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown in December. A gunman killed 20 first-graders, six adults and himself at the school, after shooting his mother to death at their home.
Esty said the 11 officers helped evacuate the school and search the building.
Also receiving awards are three DEEP emergency dispatchers and the Maine Warden Service critical incident stress debriefing team.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Autumn Statement and Spending Review: The green business wish list November 24, 2015Chancellor George Osborne will deliver his update on the Government's plans for the economy, known as the Autumn Statement, in Parliament today. The hopes are high, but expectations are seemingly low among green groups and industry.
- Businesses lay out key Paris proposals to avoid 'zombie' scenario November 24, 2015The business community has released a set of ambitious proposals they wish to be included in the final Paris agreement, as a climate think-tank sets out the three possible scenarios that will arise from the talks.
- More than half of global clean energy investment flowing to emerging markets November 24, 2015Emerging markets attracted more clean energy investment than wealthy countries for the first time ever in 2014, according to a new report.
- Amazon Web Services adds 100MW wind farm to booming renewables portfolio November 24, 2015Amazon's cloud computing business, Amazon Web Services (AWS), has contracted US energy firm EDP Renewables to construct and operate a 100MW wind farm in Ohio.
- Is the profit-over-planet business model dead? November 24, 2015EXCLUSIVE: The business model of the 20th century that considers the services rendered by nature to be free, available and infinite is dying.
- Biodegradable plastics not a 'quick fix' for marine litter November 24, 2015The increased use of products labelled 'biodegradable' will not significantly decrease the volume of harmful plastics entering the ocean, a new UN report has concluded.
- Consume more, conserve more: sorry, but we just can’t do both | George Monbiot November 24, 2015Economic growth is tearing the planet apart, and new research suggests that it can’t be reconciled with sustainabilityWe can have it all: that is the promise of our age. We can own every gadget we are capable of imagining – and quite a few that we are not. We can live like monarchs without compromising the Earth’s capacity to sustain us. The promise that mak […]George Monbiot
- Don’t cheer Alberta’s premier. Demand she break the oil barons’ vice-grip | Martin Lukacs November 24, 2015Alberta’s climate plan falls far short of what’s possible: unleashing a green economy that creates hundreds of thousands of jobs and transitions off the tar sandsAlberta’s new climate plan is drawing praise from sources that have rarely got on with the oil-exporter – Al Gore, labour unions and some of North America’s biggest green groups. At first glance, it […]Martin Lukacs
- Bruce Watkin obituary November 24, 2015My stepfather, Bruce Watkin, who has died aged 98, was one of the founder members of Mass Observation, the social research organisation set up to record everyday life in Britain.Bruce was in at the beginning of Mass Observation in 1937, listening anonymously to ordinary conversations and watching people at work while keeping detailed diaries of what he saw a […]Seán Haldane
- To catch a fishing thief, SkyTruth uses data from the air, land and sea November 24, 2015The plucky nonprofit, whose founder’s once dismissed warnings about offshore drilling foretold the BP oil spill, enlists help from Google and Oceana to create a website for tracking illegal fishingNo one knows how much illegal fishing goes on in the oceans. They’re too vast to patrol. But a small nonprofit is helping governments track down seafood pirates by […]Marc Gunther
- Climate change in Somaliland, Kenya battles weather, and FGM in Colombia November 24, 2015Drought and cyclones hit Somaliland; Kenya mobilises money to tackle changing weather; and the secrecy around cutting girls among Colombia’s EmberáIf you are viewing this on the web and would prefer to get it in your inbox every two weeks, register for the email editionWhen politicians meet in Paris next week to negotiate a global climate deal, their commitm […]Carla Kweifio-Okai
- Our evil planet kills countless humans every year – why bother to save it? | Colin Quinn November 24, 2015Earth has these ‘natural occurrences’ that devastate homes and villages. But are they really natural occurrences? Sounds more like outbursts of a maniac If this planet exploded tomorrow I wouldn’t shed a tear.Environmentalists say evil mankind is destroying a beautiful God-given place. Really? Mudslides, earthquakes and twisters kill millions (thousands) of […]Colin Quinn
- Finance January 23, 2013Short title: Finance Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Potus Stiffens Foreign Occupation Efforts, Gold Community Not ImpressedIn the past it has been a proven recipe to determine the scope of an international crisis to check the gold trade fever curve, and find shock or trauma successfully thrown back at the one per cent appear as market hiccups. Not so now. The recent terror alarm in Europe, both the concert jihad and the duck-and-cover administration, did not give gold the boost […]
- Overview of the Week of Action against the Prison Industrial ComplexThis is only the beginning. Full account of the week of action here: http://www.cape-campaign.org/
- [Poland] Freedom Fighters martial arts leagueOn 12.12.2015 sixt edition of Freedom Fighters martial arts league will take place in Poznań, Poland. So far the event got popularity in local combat sports scene, so we keep pushing forward!
- Does Mark Carney care if Huntingdon Life Sciences is killing people?Even though the Bank of England provides banking services to animal-testing lab Huntingdon Life Sciences (HLS) Bank of England Governor, Mark Carney, failed to confirm,when asked, that HLS has not passed as safe any lethal drugs. He was responding to a Freedom of Information request.
- the disappearing MaGic salmon showoh dear
- Press release: Public invited to Essex waste facility consultation drop-in November 24, 2015Gent Fairhead & Co. Ltd has applied to the Environment Agency for an environmental permit to operate the facility there. On Wednesday 2 December between 2pm and 7pm Environment Agency staff will be at the drop-in at Silver End Village Hall, Broadway CM8 3RQ to discuss the proposals with people and explain their role in permitting and regulating this type […]
- Press release: Married couple and company must pay £130,000 for waste crime November 23, 2015Two married company directors and their company have been ordered to pay £130,000 for illegally exporting 187 tonnes of hazardous electronic waste to 6 African countries between 2011 and 2015. Mark Daniels, one half of the married couple, was also given a 9 month suspended sentence. The prosecution was brought by the Environment Agency after their officers f […]
- Press release: Massive fines for illegal tipping offences November 20, 2015The case was brought by the Environment Agency. Farmers David Stroud and Darren Pearce and waste haulier, Andrew Duncan, who runs haulage company Dunchaul Limited, were caught following a detailed investigation by the Environment Agency that revealed how they had deposited tonnes of demolition and construction waste in the Cornish countryside. Anyone who dep […]
- Press release: Thrill-seekers taking ‘storm selfies’ are risking lives November 17, 2015As Storm Barney hits Britain, the two organisations are urging thrill-seekers not to put themselves at risk by taking photographs of themselves along wave-battered promenades and breakwaters. On Tuesday (17 November) afternoon and evening, gale or severe gale force westerly winds are expected to generate large waves around exposed coasts in south-west Englan […]
- Press release: New Boston Barrier information launched November 16, 2015The information includes a new computer animated video showing the latest design changes and the tidal flood defence scheme in more detail than ever before. There will also be a public consultation looking at the proposed construction of the barrier and any issues this may result in that the Environment Agency needs to be aware of. The events will happen: We […]
- This morning. https://t.co/vJUshBRmuy 2 days ago
- £13 in the US but £27 in Scotland. An Islay whisky. Thanks SNP for the taxing. #SNP #malt #whisky https://t.co/bIHT3m8pKh 4 days ago
- Clyde earlier today. https://t.co/5Uie0ztj0R 4 days ago
- Why doesn't SNP reduce the tax on whisky that stiffles growth. Why the 75% tax. #SNP #whisky 4 days ago
- Netherburn, South Lanarkshire. #SLC #SNP https://t.co/N575mWp74D 4 days ago
- One of my favourites. #malt #jura https://t.co/wPCbuhq6uo 5 days ago
- Scotch Whisky costs £10.85, the Government takes more than 75% in tax. 6 days ago
- Scotch Whisky is taxed more heavily than other alcoholic drinks. The annual excise 'escalator' should be abolished and duty frozen. 6 days ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
- Close Campsfield NOW! November 28, 2015 at 12:00 pm Campsfield House Immigration Detention Centre, Langford Lane, Kidlingto...
Climate Change Events
- Riding the Wave: SGTSG structure and tectonics conference 2015 November 22, 2015 – November 27, 2015 Caloundra, Queensland, Australia
- Riding the Wave: SGTSG structure and tectonics conference 2015 November 22, 2015 – November 27, 2015 Caloundra, Australia
- Twelfth European Space Weather Week November 23, 2015 – November 27, 2015 Ostend, Belgium
- ESO Workshop: Solar system as seen by the ELTs November 30, 2015 – December 4, 2015 Garching, Germany
- 5th International Alluvial Fans Meeting November 30, 2015 – December 4, 2015 Christchurch, New Zealand
- MedPAN Regional Experience Sharing Workshop November 24, 2015 at 9:00 am – November 26, 2015 at 5:00 pm Sinis, Sardinia, , Italy
- UNFCCC COP 21 November 30, 2015 at 12:00 am – December 11, 2015 at 12:00 am , Paris, France
- Sub-Committee of Experts on the Transport of Dangerous Goods (48th session) November 30, 2015 at 9:00 am – December 9, 2015 at 5:00 pm , Geneva, Switzerland
- COP-21 side event: Low-emissions pathways and the role of oil and gas December 4, 2015 at 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm IETA-WBCSD Business Hub, Paris, France
- Global Landscapes Forum 2015 December 5, 2015 at 9:00 am – December 6, 2015 at 5:00 pm Paris, , France
- International Petroleum Technology Conference (IPTC): Technology and n Partnerships for a Sustainable Energy Future December 6, 2015 at 12:00 am – December 9, 2015 at 12:00 am Qatar National Convention Centre, Doha, Qatar