DEEP Officers Who Helped At Sandy Hook Among Those To Be Honored
MERIDEN, Conn. (AP) _ Connecticut officials will be honoring the good work of state environmental conservation police officers.
The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection has scheduled an awards ceremony for 6 p.m. at the Connecticut State Police Museum in Meriden.
Department Commissioner Daniel Esty says awards will be given this year to 11 environmental conservation officers who responded to the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown in December. A gunman killed 20 first-graders, six adults and himself at the school, after shooting his mother to death at their home.
Esty said the 11 officers helped evacuate the school and search the building.
Also receiving awards are three DEEP emergency dispatchers and the Maine Warden Service critical incident stress debriefing team.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Investor pressure not enough as big oil baulks on climate change May 26, 2016During a 'do or die' week for three of the largest big oil companies, ExxonMobil, Chevron and Shell continue to rally against growing external pressure to adapt to a low-carbon pathway, warning that the shift would take an "unprecedented amount of effort".
- New Energy Transition scheme launched to accelerate green industrial revolution May 25, 2016The Climate Group has launched a new global initiative to assist highly industrialised, carbon-intensive international governments and regional states in developing and implementing innovative clean energy policies to accelerate the low-carbon transition.
- 10 things you probably didn't know about green energy jobs May 25, 2016With new figures from the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) revealing that employment in the renewables industry rose by 5% over the past 12 months, to pass 8.1 million, edie dissects the data to bring you 10 fascinating facts about clean energy employment.
- How The Body Shop is using 'monkey dating' to tackle deforestation May 24, 2016The Body Shop has today (24 May) officially launched its new Bio-Bridges programme, which aims to regenerate and reconnect 75 million square metres of damaged forests, as part of the beauty products retailer's ambitious new CSR strategy.
- World could warm by massive 10C if all fossil fuels are burned May 24, 2016The planet would warm by searing 10C if all fossil fuels are burned, according to a new study, leaving some regions uninhabitable and wreaking profound damage on human health, food supplies and the global economy.
- Carbon capture key to unlocking 'unburnable' fossil fuel resources May 23, 2016Refining Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) techniques would unlock the use of "unburnable carbon" as a viable energy source that would still keep the world on a 2C pathway if coupled with renewable energy, new research has suggested.
- Sadiq Khan joins air pollution court case against UK government May 26, 2016Mayor of London will submit statement and evidence in high court case brought by ClientEarth on the air pollution crisis in the capitalThe mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, has joined a high court challenge against the government over its air pollution plans, overturning the position of his predecessor, Boris Johnson. Khan filed legal documents on Thursday and ca […]Damian Carrington
- French minister warns of mass climate change migration if world doesn't act May 26, 2016Hundreds of millions of people could be displaced by the end of the century due to conflict caused by global warming, says Ségolène RoyalGlobal warming will create hundreds of millions of climate change migrants by the end of the century if governments do not act, France’s environment minister has warned.Ségolène Royal told ministers from 170 countries at th […]Adam Vaughan, Nairobi
- Statue of Liberty and Venice under climate change threat, says UN May 26, 2016‘Urgent and clear need’ to limit temperature rises to protect key sites from warming, rising seas and harsher weather Some of the world’s most famous heritage sites – from the Statue of Liberty and Venice to the Galapagos Islands – could be irreversibly damaged by climate change, a report has warned. Historic and natural world heritage sites are already feel […]Press Association
- Thailand closes dive sites over coral bleaching crisis May 26, 2016In a rare move to shun tourism profits for environmental protection, 10 popular dive sites have been shut down in a bid to slow a coral bleaching crisis Thailand has shut down 10 popular diving sites in a bid to slow a coral bleaching crisis, an official said Thursday, in a rare move to shun tourism profits to protect the environment.The tropical country’s s […]Agence France-Presse
- Ikea and Nestle call for new EU laws to cut truck emissions May 26, 2016Increase fuel efficiency of heavy good vehicles that cause a quarter of Europe’s traffic carbon emissions to meet climate targets, says clean corporate allianceAn alliance of companies including Ikea, Nestle and Heathrow airport have called on the EU to pass new laws cutting truck emissions within two years, to meet promises made at the Paris climate confere […]Arthur Neslen
- Niger Delta Avengers militants shut down Chevron oil facility May 26, 2016String of attacks by group – who claim to fight for environment and local people – have pushed down Nigeria’s oil output Members of the Nigerian militant group the Niger Delta Avengers have shut down facilities owned by one of the world’s biggest oil companies.People living near Chevron’s Escravos terminal in the oil-rich southern Nigerian region of the Nige […]Ruth Maclean in Dakar
- Divest January 23, 2013Short title: Divest Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Is Brazil the new Ukraine?This is too much. While I was off-grid, the imperialist abused my identity, the puppet regime it maintains on this land destroyed my neighbourhood, and a toxic corporation went to lobby my relatives. Alarm! I pulled the emergency plan I had recently enacted upon his recommendation and called Ras Ramsay for consultation. Of course he does not have a network a […]
- #ANTIFA ALERT: #LEEDS #NAZI TAKEOVER @millymatty @slatukip @dubdanu @JLRFB #ukipThe lunatics have taken over the "asylum", hardcore Hitler-salivating, rabid neo-Nazis that even the likes of the EDL had thought were history, returning with a vengeance in Leeds, taking over the Vote Leave campaign in the city, much to the stonily silent indifference of Michael Gove and the Official Conservative Party. Ignore it and it will go aw […]
- INJECTION TECHNOLOGIESLet's take a closer look at compulsory government protected & unregulated INJECTION TECHNOLOGIES.
- Response to Offensive Post by Phyllis MervineThis is a public response to an offensive internet post made by Phyllis Mervine of lymedisease.org , in which she implied that Dr. Alan MacDonald would suffer because of an association with me, Elena Cook.
- #ANTIFA ALERT: LEEDS #NAZI TAKEOVER @slatukip @dubdanu @millymatty @JLRFB #ukipThe lunatics have taken over the "asylum", hardcore Hitler-salivating, rabid neo-Nazis that even the likes of the EDL had thought were history, returning with a vengeance in Leeds, taking over the Vote Leave campaign in the city, much to the stonily silent indifference of Michael Gove and the Official Conservative Party. Ignore it and it will go aw […]
- Press release: Environment Agency enforcement targets close season offenders May 26, 2016Environment Agency enforcement teams have been busy cracking down on illegal fishing during the first few weeks of the coarse fish close season. Officers carried out more than 380 targeted patrols and found more than 70 people fishing on waters that are off-limits. The close season is in place to help natural fish populations spawn so it is illegal to fish d […]
- Press release: Kent & Leven recovery, 6 months after Desmond unleashed his wrath May 26, 2016It is now almost 6 months (6 months on June 4) since Storm Desmond hit, the emergency repairs to defences have been finished, over 30,000 tonnes of gravel have been moved and investigations are well underway to pinpoint the cause and extent of flooding. The findings will mean we have the evidence needed to ensure that the right work can take place in the rig […]
- Press release: Eden flood recovery, six months after Desmond unleashed his wrath May 26, 2016It is now almost 6 months (6 months on June 4) since Storm Desmond hit, the emergency repairs to defences have been finished, over 30,000 tonnes of gravel have been moved and investigations are well underway to pin point the cause and extent of flooding. The findings will mean we have the evidence needed to ensure that the right work can take place in the ri […]
- News story: Derwent flood recovery 6 months after Desmond unleashed his wrath May 26, 2016It is now almost 6 months (6 months on June 4) since Storm Desmond hit, the emergency repairs to defences have been finished, over 30,000 tonnes of gravel have been moved and investigations are well underway to pin point the cause and extent of flooding. The findings will mean we have the evidence needed to ensure the right work can take place in the right a […]
- Press release: Somerset builder prosecuted for dumping and burning waste near Crewkerne. May 26, 2016A 53-year-old Somerset builder who dumped and burned illegal waste in a field has been given a five-year Criminal Behaviour Order and 150 hours community service. Bernard Molloy, aged 53, of Shepton Beauchamp, admitted at Taunton Crown Court to transporting, depositing and transferring waste to Walditch Lane, Merriot, Somerset. The case was brought by the En […]
- UK bees hanger17.wordpress.com/2016/05/17/uk-… 1 week ago
- RSPCA hanger17.wordpress.com/2016/05/16/rsp… 1 week ago
- Animal Welfare Scotland hanger17.wordpress.com/2016/05/16/ani… 1 week ago
- New lights fitted along with heated grips. Felt good on the way back from speedway last night. https://t.co/6T0yu3mjqh 1 week ago
- RT @WasteManagement: Our landfill-gas-to-energy facilities offsets 2.5 million tons of CO2 emissions per year. #ThinkGreen https://t.co/hUu… 2 weeks ago
- RT @Protect_Wldlife: A Powerful Statement Mr President! "When The Buying Stops The Killing Can Too" @YaoMing https://t.co/rpO6tHnxEX 2 weeks ago
- RT @AnimalRRights: Heartbreaking neglect as dog survived by eating sticks and drinking rain water rightrelevance.com/search/article… https://t.co/C7XN… 2 weeks ago
- RT @Protect_Wldlife: Goodnight animal lovers worldwide & a big THANK YOU to the special souls who care for the orphans through the night. h… 2 weeks ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- Japan Geoscience Union Meeting 2016 May 22, 2016 – May 26, 2016 Chiba, Japan
- EBSD 2016 May 24, 2016 – May 26, 2016 Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
- 14th International Conference of the Geological Society of Greece May 25, 2016 – May 27, 2016 Thessaloniki, Greece
- 78th EAGE Conference & Exhibition 2016 May 30, 2016 – June 2, 2016 Vienna, Austria
- 7th International Workshop on Paleoseismology, Active Tectonics, and Archeoseismology May 31, 2016 – June 4, 2016 Crestone, CO, USA
- 50th Meeting of the GEF Council June 6, 2016 at 9:00 am – June 9, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Washington DC, United States
- Premiam - Post Spill Monitoring Conference June 22, 2016 at 12:00 am – 12:00 am SOAS, London, United Kingdom
- World Water Week 2016 August 27, 2016 at 9:00 am – September 2, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Stockholm, Sweden
- IUCN World Conservation Congress September 1, 2016 at 9:00 am – September 10, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Hawaii, United States
- Reporting Working Group meeting and Good Practices Workshop September 27, 2016 at 8:00 am – September 29, 2016 at 2:00 pm ConocoPhillips , Houston, United States
- IWA World Water Congress and Exhibitions (Brisbane) October 9, 2016 at 9:00 am – October 13, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Brisbane, QLD, Australia