Solar-Powered Plane Soars Above Golden Gate
MOUNTAIN VIEW (CBS SF) – A solar-powered plane with a unique look that took off Tuesday morning from Moffett Airfield in Mountain View passed over the Golden Gate Bridge just after 2 p.m.
The lightweight plane, which has a wingspan of 208 feet, was about 3,000 feet in the air as flew above San Francisco and the bay Tuesday afternoon, said Alexandra Gindroz, spokeswoman for the Swiss firm Solar Impulse, which owns the plane.
The plane, which weighs only about 3,500 pounds, runs completely on power from the sun drawn from 12,000 solar cells on the craft that send energy into batteries that power propellers running on four electric motors, Gindroz said.
[worldnow id=8803472 width=480 height=360 type=video]
Tuesday’s flight is a technical test run to prepare for a planned cross-country trip beginning in early May. On the first leg of the trip, the plane will depart from the Bay Area…
View original post 221 more words
- Idle investors could face legal action over portfolio climate risks, experts warn February 12, 2016A trio of climate experts have warned that investors and asset managers who continuously ignore the risks of climate change do so at their peril and may soon be faced with legal action.
- US clean power plan setback 'will not affect Paris climate change deal' February 11, 2016The US commitment to cutting carbon emissions under the landmark Paris agreement remains unaffected by the setback delivered to President Obama's climate plans by the country's supreme court, the White House has said.
- Tesla and Google lead the way in electric vehicle infrastructure push February 9, 2016Global innovators Tesla and Google have announced plans to accelerate the growth of commercial electric vehicles (EVs) by launching new schemes aimed at increasing the infrastructure options available to consumers.
- More than 600 Unilever sites reach zero waste to landfill status February 9, 2016Unilever has today (9 February) revealed that more than 600 of its sites across 70 countries have achieved zero waste to landfill status, after the company identified alternate routes for non-hazardous waste streams in its operations.
- World's largest investor: We want companies with long-term sustainability plan February 8, 2016The chief executive of the world's largest investment firm, Blackrock, has called for companies to build environmental, social and governance (ESG) management into their business models, calling it a sign of 'operational excellence'.
- Ireland's national stadium goes 100% renewable for Six Nations February 5, 2016Aviva stadium, home of the Ireland rugby team will be fully powered by renewable energy for the upcoming 2016 Six Nations tournament, becoming the first stadium in the competition to be so.
- The new age of climate exploration | Joseph Robertson and David Thoreson February 12, 2016Our exploration of the physical world is becoming an exploration of vulnerabilities to rapid climate changesOn December 12, the 21st annual meeting of the world’s climate negotiators closed with adoption of the Paris Agreement. The task agreed by consensus among 195 nations is clear, ambitious, and complex: re-engineer the infrastructure of the global econom […]Joseph Robertson and David Thoreson
- Building an organic almond farming sector in the West Bank February 12, 2016A non-profit is trying help farmers build a profitable almond sector in the West Bank, where water and government aid are in short supplyThe West Bank isn’t the most obvious location for almond farming. For starters, water and land are in short supply in the heavily contested region and almonds are notoriously thirsty. Much of the traditional knowledge assoc […]Oliver Balch
- London flood alerts in place as 'astronomical' tides hit Thames February 12, 2016Thames Barrier closed after river overflows in Greenwich and water nears pavement level in some areas of central LondonFlood alerts have been issued across London after the river Thames overflowed its banks and the Thames Barrier was closed for the first time this winter. Related: UK's winter floods create 30,000 tonnes of landfill waste Continue readin […]Aisha Gani
- Farmers warned bluetongue disease likely to arrive in England this year February 12, 201680% chance that potentially fatal virus in sheep and cattle will arrive from France, carried by midges that transmit the disease, say scientistsBluetongue virus, a potentially fatal disease in sheep and cattle, is very likely to arrive in the England in 2016, according to the government’s Animal and Plant Health Agency.The virus, which does not affect humans […]Damian Carrington
- Ice cycles: the northerly world cities leading the winter bicycle revolution February 12, 2016Oulu in Finland and Winnipeg in Canada are two winter cities with remarkably different stories. Oulu is just like Winnipeg – except for the bike paths stretching for miles in every direction and the thousands of people riding bicycles in the snow – says Winter Bike to Work Day founder Anders SwansonIt happened for me three years ago in Turku: the moment I re […]Anders Swanson
- AGL pleads guilty to 11 counts of not declaring political donations February 12, 2016Company failed to declare donations in its development application for a coal seam gas project in Gloucester in the New South Wales Hunter regionAGL has pleaded guilty to 11 counts of failing to declare political donations when submitting a development proposal for a coal seam gas project, which combined could attract penalties of up to $242,000.In August 20 […]Michael Slezak
- Finance January 23, 2013Short title: Finance Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Poland is sending refugees into Germany under the guise of legal touristsThere are few people actually who would argue that bulk of refugees flocking to Europe see Germany as one of the most developed countries in the modern world, most wealthy for living, their dreamland. But in the circumstances of the current migration crisis, the most serious in the newest history when hundreds of thousands of refugees from Africa, Middle Eas […]
- Pakistan Intl.Airlines Royal high Identity theft am Inn AmsterdamShortly a must do up the Lords A.L.F.'No means no."-Militiapunk, the season after leaving postwar Hamburg by bnth brth the thierporn 'Chopper,'-phenomenun transparent for the US Embassy and the State Embassy of Israel, suposed OrgCrm sexual active brokerage Latinuum ante graecuum deny, Westeuropa will be strooke by her majesty GB never de […]
- 3000 A.C ARI 3000 A.CSENTENZA PENA DI MORTE DA TRIBUNALE DEL POPOLO
- D.I.R.T. the 'Sitte," Q&A of think global, act local squat.net/Butlermuscleイネ激流•〒→Sept.Arc a positiv perspective Crip lmt. the role to prole in Bradforth the Guiolltine. Zet.New York Gangs are real Mr.Shah ain't Mr.Taylor, Charles-Falkland cc.cv.イノ消しロイヲ、いせ！〒イネげにぎろり、倂つ仕入れを湯を沸かし伊瀬。 ーミヘ。根井にせよ、
- The MONDEGGI FREE SCHOOL OF FARMING - Scuola Contadina - is OPEN!The MONDEGGI FREE SCHOOL OF FARMING - (Scuola Contadina) - is OPEN! The Occupants of the Mega Squatted Mondeggi Farm at Bagno Ripoli just a stones throw from Florence. Have started up a a Free School of Farming where lessons, given by qualified teachers ,cost absolutely nothing at all. As in totally FREE !! no strings attached anyone can book in.
- Press release: Almost 2 million fish released into England’s rivers February 11, 2016Record-breaking numbers of coarse fish were released into England’s rivers in 2015, the Environment Agency has revealed. Last year was the best year ever for the Environment Agency’s specialist fish breeding farm in Nottingham. Experts stocked more than 452,220 fish and 1.3 million larvae into rivers all over the country. They were all bred at the Environmen […]
- Press release: Thames Barrier to close for first time this winter February 10, 2016With heavy rain across the south east over the last week, flows on the River Thames have increased. These high flows have coincided with spring tides (when tides are usually at their highest during the tidal cycle) so the Environment Agency will close the Thames Barrier at 11:30am on Wednesday 10 February to reduce the risk of flooding in London and along th […]
- Press release: Land owners in Lancashire are consulted about land drainage. February 10, 2016In September 2015 the Environment Agency notified landowners that they would cease operation of 5 pumping stations: Banks Marsh, Boundary Brook, Clay Brow, Kew and Rufford Causeway in 2 years time. The Environment Agency is working with the National Farmers Union and Country Land and Business Association to help landowners explore alternative arrangements fo […]
- Press release: Company fined for illegal waste offences February 9, 2016The case was brought by the Environment Agency. Armabridge Ltd waste operates 2 businesses from separate sites in Torquay. They include a top soil supply business at Kerswell Garden Centre known as ‘Topsoil Torbay’ and a waste transfer station and skip business at Barton Hill Way trading as ‘Skip-it’. On 6 June 2014 Environment Agency officers found suspicio […]
- Press release: Flood advice for Skipton and Glusburn February 9, 2016Residents and business owners in Skipton and Glusburn will be offered advice over the next few weeks on how to prepare for floods. The Environment Agency is targeting properties in areas at risk of flooding along Eller Beck and Waller Beck in Skipton, as well as Eastburn Beck (Holme Beck) in Glusburn. Over 1,600 properties in Skipton and around 640 in Glusbu […]
- I saved a @YouTube playlist youtube.com/playlist?list=… Bob Ross - The Joy 4 days ago
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/XTaCoRM-HVo?a Abandoned Old Car Dealership Full Of Classics! 6 days ago
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/M1RTCp3dcIo?a Inside the abandoned buildings under Lake Mead 6 days ago
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/w7qEHd2XGIo?a Jenny Scordamaglia Twinkling Dress Bottom is Showing Clearly Awesome Show 1 week ago
- Ghost Rider 1 - The Final Ride youtu.be/jySqs1XJmLQ 1 week ago
- Check out my motorcycle Scotland events group on Facebook. Its the only place that centralises events in Scotland. 1 week ago
- RT @AnimalRRights: North Carolina Landowners Express Support for Recovery of Endan rightrelevance.com/search/article… via @endangered https://t.co/NmH… 2 weeks ago
- RT @Animal_Watch: The Spanish bullfighter who took his baby into the ring is facing investigation ind.pn/1OPOVKT @Independent http… 2 weeks ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
- Oxford's Housing Nightmare March 9, 2016 at 7:30 pm – 9:30 pm St. Clement's Family Centre, Cross Street, Oxford, OX4 1DA
Climate Change Events
- Tectonics, Structural Geology and Geology of Crystalline Rocks (TSK16) March 1, 2016 – March 6, 2016 Bonn, Germany
- New Currents in Science: The Challenges of Quality March 3, 2016 – March 4, 2016 Ispra, Italy
- 76th Annual Meeting of the German Geophysical Society (DGG) March 14, 2016 – March 17, 2016 Muenster, Germany
- 2016 Conference on Big Data from Space March 15, 2016 – March 17, 2016 Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
- NAC+ 2016 March 21, 2016 – March 23, 2016 Edinburgh, UK
- 4th Session of Plenary Intergovernmental platform on biodiversity and n ecosystem services (IPBES) February 22, 2016 at 9:00 am – February 28, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- SPE HSE International Conference April 11, 2016 at 9:00 am – April 13, 2016 at 4:00 pm , Stavanger, Norway
- Global Water Summit 2016 April 19, 2016 at 8:00 am – April 20, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Sustainable Extractives Forum: how to manage risk and navigate uncertainty. April 27, 2016 at 9:30 am – April 28, 2016 at 5:30 pm , London, United Kingdom
- IPIECA-IOGP Health Committee meeting April 28, 2016 at 7:30 am – April 29, 2016 at 11:00 am Statoil USA E&P, Houston, Texas, United States
- IPIECA-IOGP Health Committee Meeting April 28, 2016 at 1:00 pm – April 29, 2016 at 5:00 pm Statoil U.K. Limited, London, United Kingdom