Solar-Powered Plane Soars Above Golden Gate
Originally posted on CBS San Francisco:
MOUNTAIN VIEW (CBS SF) – A solar-powered plane with a unique look that took off Tuesday morning from Moffett Airfield in Mountain View passed over the Golden Gate Bridge just after 2 p.m.
The lightweight plane, which has a wingspan of 208 feet, was about 3,000 feet in the air as flew above San Francisco and the bay Tuesday afternoon, said Alexandra Gindroz, spokeswoman for the Swiss firm Solar Impulse, which owns the plane.
The plane, which weighs only about 3,500 pounds, runs completely on power from the sun drawn from 12,000 solar cells on the craft that send energy into batteries that power propellers running on four electric motors, Gindroz said.
[worldnow id=8803472 width=480 height=360 type=video]
Tuesday’s flight is a technical test run to prepare for a planned cross-country trip beginning in early May. On the first leg of the trip, the plane will depart from the Bay Area…
View original 221 more words
- World leaders missed chance to tackle climate change, says economist May 26, 2015World leaders missed the perfect opportunity to tackle climate change during the global economic crisis, according to the influential economist and academic Lord Stern.
- Thirty two energy firms account for a third of global emissions May 21, 2015Thirty two of the world's largest energy firms account for around a third of all man-made emissions when the burning of the fuel they produce is taken into account.
- UK ranks 6th in new environmental democracy index May 21, 2015The UK has been ranked sixth in a new index from the World Resources Institute (WRI) which tracks how 70 countries around the world are progressing on 'environmental democracy'
- Renewables industry adds one million jobs in 2014 May 20, 2015More than 7.7m people around the world are now employed by the renewable energy industry - an 18% increase on last year.
- Hydropower to hit 2,000GW by 2050 May 18, 2015The global hydroelectric power market, which already represents 76% of all renewable energy, could double to 2,000GW by 2050, according to the World Energy Council.
- Fossil fuels subidised by $10m every minute, says IMF May 18, 2015Fossil fuel companies are benefitting from global subsidies of $5.3tn (£3.4tn) a year, equivalent to $10m every minute of every day, according to a startling new estimate by the International Monetary Fund.
- Residents blame Durban oil refineries for health problems May 26, 2015Bill Gates funds ground-breaking sanitation research in Durban, but in the communities living under pollution from oil refineries just a short drive away – run by companies in which Gates is invested – asthma and cancer rates are highIt was standing room only in the darkened hall when Cyril Ramaphosa, a former miners’ union leader-turned-mining magnate and S […]David Smith, in Durban and Damian Carrington
- Poachers killed half Mozambique's elephants in five years May 26, 2015Government-backed survey shows elephant numbers declined from 20,000 to 10,300 due to illegal wildlife trade and lack of governancePoachers have killed nearly half of Mozambique’s elephants for their ivory in the past five years, the US-based Wildlife Conservation Society said on Tuesday.A Mozambique government-backed survey showed a dramatic 48% decline in […]AFP
- Artists recreate iconic painting with landscape ravaged by oil to protest Arctic exploration – big picture May 26, 2015British art collective Kennardphillipps have reimagined the bucolic US artwork Christina’s World by Andrew Wyeth to show how it would look after an oil spill, as part of a Greenpeace video campaign against Shell’s exploration of the Arctic Continue reading...Guardian Staff
- The people taking their money out of coal, oil and gas May 26, 2015The fossil fuel divestment campaign is gaining traction on campuses, churches and at other organisations, but you can take action on your personal pension and bank account too. Here, three people explain how and why they divestedSign up to our series on personal divestment on the form at the bottomPaul Mathias, 62, is from Northwich in Cheshire. A retired im […]Emma Howard
- Dust, TB and HIV: the ugly face of mining in South Africa May 26, 2015The Wellcome Trust and Gates Foundation fund health centres in the country, but remain invested in fossil fuel companies whose mining operations, it is claimed, have a profound impact on the health of local communities Worried that his eyes and urine were turning a deep yellow, Gednezar Dladla made his way to a local clinic and was referred to a district hos […]David Smith in Mtubatuba and Damian Carrington in London
- The best women's summer cycling kit, tried and tested May 26, 2015The mercury is rising - time to put summer cycling gear to the test. But is a jersey costing £130 that much better than one at £40? Helen Pidd tries out dhb, Twin Six, Rapha, Café du Cycliste, Howies and Morvélo• Tomorrow: Peter Walker on the mens’ gearWith summer looming, I’ve tried out jersey-and-shorts combinations from six companies, with prices ranging […]Helen Pidd
- Finance January 23, 2013Short title: Finance Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- WHAT NOW FOR TOMMY TIT? @edlnews @slatedl @slatfascists @misscheeky666 @slatukipSince leaving the ranks of the EDL where he had arose to notoriety by assuming the identity of a real dead Luton football hooligan, stealing the MIG name for a new brand of crappy pseudo-hooligan gear, Stephen Yaxley Lennon has become an internet-only racist, logging onto facebook and twitter to racially abuse brown people outside of the media glare he crave […]
- Printable version of The AcornA printable (and abridged) version of the latest Acorn info bulletin is available on the Winter Oak website.
- Liz Kendall vs Tower Hamlets - It is Rabina's Canvassers at the doorsIn two weeks time, the embattled Council in Tower Hamlets may have a new occupant in the post of Executive Mayor
- Europe’s share of the Arctic PieWhen the United States bought Alaska from the Russian Empire nobody could foresee the pending importance of the region.
- Brainwashed Britain!Election result (tory) blues graffiti.
- Press release: Otter found dead in illegal trap on Selby Canal May 26, 2015An otter has drowned after getting caught up in an illegal crayfish trap by the Selby Canal. The trap was found on an angling platform at a fishing peg on the canal just outside Selby in North Yorkshire. It was discovered by a member of the public who reported the find to the police and the Environment Agency. It is believed that the illegal net was being us […]
- Press release: Boston residents urged to sign up for flood warnings as warn and inform work shortlisted for award May 26, 2015The Agency has been nominated for a national award for its work to warn and inform Boston residents about the tidal surge and improve community resilience to flooding – but it is urging more people to sign up to reduce the impact of flooding on their homes, businesses, personal belongings and families. The 2013 tidal surge prompted people in Boston to take a […]
- Press release: Waste illegally dumped and burned near protected area in Teesside May 22, 2015A Teesside man illegally dumped and burned waste on a site on the Tees Estuary next to a protected area noted for its wetland bird habitat, a court has heard. The Environment Agency warned Jamie Thomas Rose, 30, that he must stop running the illegal operation but he continued to offend for a further five months. Following an Environment Agency investigation […]
- Press release: Burton man jailed for 7 months over illegal waste site May 22, 2015On 30 April 2015, Robert Murphy, 48, of Ravens Way, Burton-upon-Trent Staffordshire was sentenced at Stafford Crown Court to 7 months imprisonment, following a contested Newton Hearing for an offence of operating a waste facility on land off the A38 Eggington near Burton-upon-Trent. Murphy, who did not own the land, continued to operate on the site despite a […]
- Press release: Dorset and Wiltshire benefit from thousands of new trees May 22, 2015The project – a partnership between the Environment Agency, Woodland Trust, Dorset Wildlife Trust, Wiltshire Wildlife Trust and FWAG SW – has seen the planting of thousands of trees at 5 sites across the 2 counties. The new woodland will benefit wildlife and flood management, helping stabilise river banks, reduce surface water run-off, give shade for fish, a […]
- Sky was going on this morning about an increase in people eating goat. What nonsense. Corporate propaganda. 2 days ago
- How to Stop Wasting Food – and Start Saving Money hanger17.wordpress.com/2015/05/22/how… 4 days ago
- march against monsanto! hanger17.wordpress.com/2015/05/22/mar… 4 days ago
- MAJOR LAWSUIT TARGETS MONSANTO FOR SELLING CANCER-LINKED HERBICIDE hanger17.wordpress.com/2015/05/22/maj… 4 days ago
- Protesters Block Entrance To Monsanto’s Woodland Facility hanger17.wordpress.com/2015/05/22/pro… 4 days ago
- A List of Ways You Can Fight PETA’s Killing Machine wp.me/pPEwS-2pO 6 days ago
- HARVEY NICHOLS: HERE’S THE REST OF THAT FUR COAT wp.me/pPEwS-2pL 6 days ago
- My Frustration with Animal Rights’ Organizations wp.me/pPEwS-2pK 6 days ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
- Palestine Unlocked A Celebration of Palestinian Life and Culture. June 4, 2015 at 5:00 pm – June 21, 2015 at 4:00 pm Venues throughout Oxford
Climate Change Events
- Japan Geoscience Union Meeting 2015 May 24, 2015 – May 29, 2015 Chiba-city, Japan
- 10th Annual International Symposium on Environment, 25-28 May 201 5, Athens, Greece May 25, 2015 – May 29, 2015 Athens, Greece
- C-MORE summer course May 26, 2015 – June 27, 2015 Honolulu, USA
- 2nd International Conference on Earth and Environmental Sciences June 1, 2015 – June 5, 2015 Athens, Greece
- 77th EAGE Conference & Exhibition 2015 June 1, 2015 – June 5, 2015 Madrid, Spain
- WPC Leadership Conference May 26, 2015 at 9:00 am – May 28, 2015 at 6:00 pm , Tromso, Norway
- UNFCCC ADP 2-9 June 1, 2015 at 12:00 am – June 11, 2015 at 12:00 am , Bonn, Germany
- Proteus Partnership Annual General Meeting June 9, 2015 at 9:00 am – June 10, 2015 at 5:00 pm , London, United Kingdom
- CSBI meeting June 11, 2015 at 9:00 am – June 12, 2015 at 5:00 pm , London, United Kingdom
- 8th International Conference on Sustainable Water Resources Management June 15, 2015 at 9:00 am – June 17, 2015 at 5:00 pm , A Coruña, Spain
- CCWG meeting 2 - virtual June 16, 2015 at 3:00 pm – June 17, 2015 at 5:00 pm Conference call, , United Kingdom