Solar-Powered Plane Soars Above Golden Gate
Originally posted on CBS San Francisco:
MOUNTAIN VIEW (CBS SF) – A solar-powered plane with a unique look that took off Tuesday morning from Moffett Airfield in Mountain View passed over the Golden Gate Bridge just after 2 p.m.
The lightweight plane, which has a wingspan of 208 feet, was about 3,000 feet in the air as flew above San Francisco and the bay Tuesday afternoon, said Alexandra Gindroz, spokeswoman for the Swiss firm Solar Impulse, which owns the plane.
The plane, which weighs only about 3,500 pounds, runs completely on power from the sun drawn from 12,000 solar cells on the craft that send energy into batteries that power propellers running on four electric motors, Gindroz said.
[worldnow id=8803472 width=480 height=360 type=video]
Tuesday’s flight is a technical test run to prepare for a planned cross-country trip beginning in early May. On the first leg of the trip, the plane will depart from the Bay Area…
View original 221 more words
- Heineken partners with UNIDO to tackle water scarcity in developing markets March 2, 2015International brewer Heineken is teaming up with the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO) to accelerate the deployment of water stewardship initiatives in countries and regions classified as 'water-scarce'.
- Google announces $300m investment in rooftop solar February 27, 2015Google's latest renewable energy investment will be providing almost half of a new $750m fund by SolarCity Corp to finance 25,000 residential solar projects, marking the technology giant's largest renewable energy investment to date.
- Asendia ascends towards carbon-neutrality with offsetting scheme February 27, 2015International mail distribution company Asendia has ramped up its sustainability efforts by signing up to a carbon offsetting scheme to help achieve its long-term aim of becoming carbon neutral.
- World leaders urged to tackle food waste to save billions and cut emissions February 26, 2015Governments across the world should make reducing food waste an urgent priority in order to save as much as £194bn annually by 2030, according to a report.
- Plummeting prices provide sustainable investment opportunity in Chinese cotton industry February 26, 2015International brands and retailers are being called upon to take advantage of a 'valuable window of opportunity' to invest and build a more resilient supply chain in the Chinese cotton market.
- Walmart launches virtual sustainability shop February 25, 2015American retailer Walmart has opened up an online tool that allows customers to factor in sustainability credentials when purchasing products from its website.
- UK joins Romanian push for new EU nuclear aid package March 4, 2015UK and seven other EU countries call on commission for increased nuclear aid funding and support to help meet climate targets and energy security objectivesThe UK and seven other countries last month called for a new package of nuclear aid funding and support, in a letter sent to the commission ahead of the EU’s energy union policy launch.The letter, seen by […]Arthur Neslen
- Prince William ends China tour visiting the elephants he seeks to protect March 4, 2015Duke of Cambridge’s final day in China saw him focus on the threat to Africa’s wildlife from the ivory trade with a visit to the country’s last elephant population at a Yunnan reserveAs The Duke of Cambridge’s convoy made its way through the stunning hills and valleys that typify Yunnan Province in China, the tropical heat was climbing and the contrasts with […]Charlie Mayhew
- Lib Dems promise to triple flytipping fines to £9m March 4, 2015Increased fines would target businesses that dump rubbish on an industrial scale in Britain’s parks, hedgerows and roadsidesFines for companies caught flytipping on an industrial scale should triple to £9m, the Liberal Democrats have said.The increased penalities would target businesses that avoid paying landfill tax by dumping rubbish in hedgerows, parks an […]Karl Mathiesen
- MPs slam 'capacity market' scheme for raising energy costs March 4, 2015Government scheme to keep the lights on during peak demand could also cause higher emissions because it favours paying fossil fuel plants to stay open over technology that cuts demand, MPs have saidA government scheme to keep the lights on could lead to unnecessarily high energy costs because it favours fossil fuel plants over smart technology which cuts dem […]Press Association
- Focus on green tech to tackle climate change, says Sir David King March 3, 2015Top foreign office climate adviser says green technology deserves as much attention as being given to details of negotiations for Paris Green technology should be as much a focus of tackling climate change as the United Nations negotiations leading up to a crunch conference in Paris this December, the UK’s top foreign office adviser on climate said on Tuesda […]Fiona Harvey
- Bank of England warns of huge financial risk from fossil fuel investments March 3, 2015Global action on climate change could cause insurers’ investments in fossil fuels to take a huge hit, says bank’s prudential regulation authorityInsurance companies could suffer a “huge hit” if their investments in fossil fuel companies are rendered worthless by action on climate change, the Bank of England warned on Tuesday.“One live risk right now is of in […]Damian Carrington
- Finance January 23, 2013Short title: Finance Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Number Crunching IndymediaWith the announcement of #RealMedia, intended to provide a hub of activist journalism like Indymedia was in its earlier years, it's a good time to check in on the status of Indymedia UK. It's now been in the hands of the May Day clique for almost four years. How has it fared? Let's look at numbers provided by the site.
- EDL Bottle Brighton!What a surprise!
- Solidarity needed at Yorkley Court Community FarmResidents of Yorkley Court Community Farm would like to say a huge THANK YOU for the support & solidarity received so far…
- ISIS 101 What’s really terrifying about this threaThe truly terrifying aspect of ISIS and other forces fighting with it in Syria is that the United States and Israel have approved and supported such wanton destruction in so beautiful and formerly-peaceful a place as Syria. Millions of lives destroyed and countless historic places damaged as though they were all nothing more than a few pieces moved on a geop […]
- Cameron's Child Sex Abuse Announcements Tuesday 3 March 2015Child sex abuse and violence against children in several English local Council areas and David Cameron's highly-publicised stunts staged today
- Press release: Drop in to learn about next phase of work on Whittlesey Washes flood reservoir March 4, 2015Maps, plans, drawings and pictures will be on display from 11am to 7.30pm on Wednesday, 11 March at the Scout headquarters, Thistle Drive, off Wessex Close in Stanground, Peterborough. Members of the project team will be available to answer questions. Whittlesey Washes, also known as the Nene Washes, stores water from the River Nene when it is ‘tide-locked’. […]
- Press release: Enforcement action taken to remove unregistered vessels March 3, 2015Boaters are reminded to renew their registration before 1 April 2015 or risk their vessel being removed from Environment Agency waterways. The Environment Agency has started an annual programme to remove dangerous and unregistered vessels from the Anglian Waterways. One unregistered boat has been removed from the River Wissey in Norfolk and there are plans t […]
- Press release: Help the Environment Agency reduce flood risk in Nether Heyford March 2, 2015Ben Thornely, Partnerships and Strategic Overview Team Leader at the Environment Agency, said: The events will allow us to hear about residents’ experience and knowledge of flooding – information which will improve our understanding of flood risk in the area and help us plan together ways in which we could work together to reduce flood risk. The sessions are […]
- Press release: Environment Agency unveils new rod licence images to promote legal fishing March 2, 2015Designed by renowned angling and wildlife artist, David Miller, the new rod licences go on sale today (Monday 2 March). The image on this year’s coarse fishing rod licence is a crucian carp (Carassius carassius) and the non-coarse is a salmon (Salmo salar). Last year David’s artwork featured on a range of sustainable fish stamps for the Royal Mail. Sarah Cha […]
- Press release: Residents and businesses invited to Rugeley flood scheme drop-ins February 27, 2015Drop-in sessions to discuss the scheme will be held at: Rugeley Leisure Centre Burnthill Lane Rugeley WS15 2HZ on the following dates: Thursday 5 March 2015, between 3pm and 8pm Saturday 7 March 2015, between 10am and 12pm The Environment Agency and local council will be on hand at both drop-in sessions to provide information about the new proposals for the […]
- I'm giving away free silver phone with display @ bit.ly/1AOP0sH 2 days ago
- Heavy snow forecast for Dunoon later today and through the night. 2 days ago
- China importing baby elephants wp.me/pPEwS-2ol 1 week ago
- RT @RT_com: #ISIS burns over 100,000 books in Anbar, Iraq, incl rare manuscripts - official on.rt.com/esel5w http://t.co/KWcSnQkBjA 1 week ago
- RT @adelewilliams: @GBBJI Hi Wd you please share this event about food poverty in Nottingham? We'll be collecting for foodbanks too. http:… 1 week ago
- RT @adelewilliams: @StMarysNotts Pls share:1 million foodbank visits in 2014 -make some noise about it! Bring foodbank items if u can http:… 1 week ago
- Global Rally Against the Dog and Cat Meat Trade wp.me/pPEwS-2oj 1 week ago
- The consequence of sugar consumption wp.me/pPEwS-2oh 1 week ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
- Fixing the food system: how to feed everyone March 20, 2015 at 7:30 pm Friends Meeting House, St. Giles
Climate Change Events
- Theoretical advances in planetary flows and climate dynamics March 2, 2015 – March 7, 2015 Les Houches, France
- Progress in Quaternary Archive Studies in the Iberian Peninsula March 12, 2015 – March 14, 2015 Sevilla, Spain
- 46th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference March 16, 2015 – March 21, 2015 The Woodlands, TX, USA
- Conference on Sun-Climate Connections March 16, 2015 – March 20, 2015 Kiel, Germany
- Habitability in the Universe: From the Early Earth to Exoplanets March 22, 2015 – March 28, 2015 Porto, Portugal
- 4th World Water-Tech Investment Summit March 9, 2015 at 9:00 am – March 11, 2015 at 5:00 pm GRANGE TOWER BRIDGE, London, United Kingdom
- SPE E&P Health, Safety, Security, and Environmental Conference—Americas March 16, 2015 at 8:30 am – March 18, 2015 at 6:30 pm , Denver, United States
- Annual Plenary meeting on the Voluntary Principles on Security and Human n Rights March 17, 2015 at 8:30 am – March 18, 2015 at 4:00 pm Lancaster House, London, United Kingdom
- Interspill 2015 March 24, 2015 at 8:00 am – March 26, 2015 at 6:00 pm Amsterdam RAI Convention Centre, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Spring Meeting - World Bank Group and International Monetary Fund April 17, 2015 at 8:00 am – April 19, 2015 at 4:00 pm , Washington D.C, United States
- IAIA 15 - Impact Assessment in the Digital Era April 20, 2015 at 8:00 am – April 23, 2015 at 4:00 pm Firenze Fiera Congress & Exhibition Center, Florence, Italy