Solar-Powered Plane Soars Above Golden Gate
MOUNTAIN VIEW (CBS SF) – A solar-powered plane with a unique look that took off Tuesday morning from Moffett Airfield in Mountain View passed over the Golden Gate Bridge just after 2 p.m.
The lightweight plane, which has a wingspan of 208 feet, was about 3,000 feet in the air as flew above San Francisco and the bay Tuesday afternoon, said Alexandra Gindroz, spokeswoman for the Swiss firm Solar Impulse, which owns the plane.
The plane, which weighs only about 3,500 pounds, runs completely on power from the sun drawn from 12,000 solar cells on the craft that send energy into batteries that power propellers running on four electric motors, Gindroz said.
[worldnow id=8803472 width=480 height=360 type=video]
Tuesday’s flight is a technical test run to prepare for a planned cross-country trip beginning in early May. On the first leg of the trip, the plane will depart from the Bay Area…
View original post 221 more words
- Could Donald Trump 'dramatically threaten' the Paris climate deal? May 5, 2016The former president of COP21 has warned that having a "climate change denier" as US president could "dramatically" threaten global action on climate change agreed upon as part of the historic Paris accord.
- Elon Musk: Politicians taking 'easy path' with fossil fuel subsidies May 5, 2016Tesla's chief executive Elon Musk has accused politicians of bowing to the "unrelenting and enormous" lobbying power of the fossil fuel industry, warning that a global "revolt" may be needed to accelerate the transition to more sustainable energy and transport systems.
- Why the new world of sustainability leadership lies in products May 6, 2016EXCLUSIVE: Companies that are tackling key environmental and societal issues through they way they design, make and sell products will become the leaders of the low-carbon economy, as customer-facing begin to diversify their services in favour of sustainable business.
- Global water shortages to deliver 'severe hit' to economies, World Bank warns May 4, 2016Water shortages will deliver a "severe hit" to the economies of the Middle East, central Asia, and Africa by the middle of the century, taking double digits off their GDP, the World Bank warned on Tuesday.
- Timberland pledges to 'preserve the outdoors' with fresh sustainability targets May 3, 2016Outdoor clothing company Timberland has set itself a new list of ambitious sustainability targets for 2020, including goals to plant 10 million trees and ensure that 50% of energy comes from renewable sources.
- Patricia Espinosa nominated to replace Christiana Figueres as UN climate chief May 3, 2016Mexican diplomat Patricia Espinosa looks set to replace Christiana Figueres as the new Executive Secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) after receiving the nomination in a selection process led by UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon.
- Gas delivery startups want to change the world – but will they blow it up first? May 5, 2016Whether or not the practices are safe, some wonder why companies are pouring resources into an area that so many are trying to innovate out of existence It is hard to imagine a less hospitable niche for a startup to enter than gasoline – a combustible commodity that is (one hopes) being innovated into obsolescence. And yet, over the past 18 months, at least […]Julia Carrie Wong in San Francisco
- Why did the death of Cecil the lion cause such an uproar? May 5, 2016Analysis of the huge news and online response to his death could offer conservationists an opportunity to turn the ‘Cecil moment’ into a ‘Cecil movement’, reports Conservation MagazineWhen the story of Cecil the lion’s death at the hands of an American hunter hit the media, the global response was “the largest reaction in the history of wildlife conservation […]Jason G Goldman for Conservation Magazine, part of the Guardian Environment Network
- We've been mayors of New York, Paris and Rio. We know climate action starts with cities May 5, 2016If we want to reduce emissions, cities are key. But they need to be empowered if they are to have an impactThe Paris climate agreement, already signed by more than 175 countries, was successful in large part because national governments recognized cities’ progress in reducing carbon emissions. On Thursday, as world leaders gather in Washington DC to discuss […]Michael Bloomberg, Anne Hidalgo and Eduardo Paes
- When in drought: the California farmers who don’t water their crops May 5, 2016Dry farming forgoes modern irrigation and, farmers say, produces much tastier crops. In a drought-stricken state, should others follow suit?There’s something different about Will Bucklin’s grape vines. At first it’s hard to notice, but a drive through northern California’s Sonoma Valley, past waves of green, manicured vineyards, makes it clear. The black rib […]Charlotte Simmonds in San Francisco
- Pollution risk from over 1,000 old UK landfill sites due to coastal erosion May 5, 2016Storms and rising sea levels could break up old rubbish dumps in England and Wales releasing potentially toxic waste, study showsOver 1,000 old landfill sites on the coasts of England and Wales are at increasing risk of being breached by erosion, according to a new study, posing a serious pollution danger to wildlife and bathing waters.Landfill sites before […]Damian Carrington
- Cheaper Heathrow expansion plan 'should be put back on table' May 5, 2016Willie Walsh, chief executive of British Airways’ owner, says ministers should not be bound to third runway proposalThe alternative, cheaper scheme to expand Heathrow airport should be put back on the table if the government gives the go-ahead for a new runway, according to the boss of British Airways’ owner.Willie Walsh, the chief executive of IAG, whose ai […]Gwyn Topham Transport correspondent
- Divest January 23, 2013Short title: Divest Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- #ALERTA #ANTIFA: #BLUEHAND #SNUFF #PORN @slatukip @misscheeky666 @dubdanu @JLRFBONLINE neo-Nazi cult #BLUEHAND have begun tweeting racist snuff porn, including photos of beheaded children and babies, including, self-defeatingly, tagging in Twitter support in the self-defence of banned pub singer from Liverpool, "Les" Seavor, who threatened to violently assault female Twitter users. Posting such pictures is against UK law, so m […]
- #ALERTA #ANTIFA: #BLUEHAND #SNUFF #PORN @slatukip @dubdanu @misscheeky666 @JLRFB#BLUEHAND have begun tweeting racist snuff porn, including photos of beheaded children and babies, including, self-defeatingly, tagging in Twitter support in the self-defence of banned pub singer from Liverpool, "Les" Seavor, who threatened to violently assault female Twitter users. Posting such pictures is against UK law, so most of the #Bluehand […]
- Freedom for our comrade arrested on the 13A in BarcelonaA call to Solidarity with our comrade arrested last 13 of April in Barcelona. We must stop the extradition.
- ALERTA #ANTIFA: LES SEAVOR THREAT @slatukip @JLRFB @misscheeky666 @dubdanu #ukipCOWARDLY ageing Hitler admirer / UKIP supporter Les Seavor from Huyton, Liverpool, has been sending death threats to FEMALE TWITTER USERS who he has promised to track them down and "give them a kicking". Everybody must report him ASAP to the Merseyside Police. His address and phone number are listed in the telephone directory, 192.com, so he will b […]
- ALERTA ANTIFA: LES SEAVOR THREATS @slatukip @JLRFB @dubdanu @misscheeky666 #ukipCOWARDLY ageing Hitler admirer Les Seavor from Huyton, Liverpool, has been sending death threats to FEMALE TWITTER USERS who he has promised to track them down and "give them a kicking". Everybody must report him ASAP to the Merseyside Police. His address and phone number are listed in the telephone directory, 192.com, so he will be extremely easy […]
- Press release: Water release at Wimbleball Reservoir to help young salmon May 4, 2016More than 300,000,000 litres of water will be released over 3 days to aid salmon smolt migration downstream. The Environment Agency asks South West Water, who manage the reservoir with Wessex Water, to release the water. The release is a mitigation measure resulting from the construction of Wimbleball Lake in the 1970s. It is particularly useful to do this i […]
- Press release: Environment Agency and Army test flood response May 4, 2016The exercise, which took place at Nesscliffe training ground near Shrewsbury, was based on a significant flood event where an electricity substation was at an immediate risk of flooding. Over 80 soldiers were involved in setting up approximately 150m of 1.25m high temporary flood barrier around the substation. They also practiced sandbagging and setting up h […]
- Press release: Yorkshire Water fined £1.1million for illegal sewage discharge April 29, 2016Yorkshire Water has been fined £1.1million for illegally discharging sewage that polluted the River Ouse near York. Yorkshire Water Services Ltd was sentenced on Friday 29 April at Leeds Crown Court, after previously admitting three environmental offences relating to the operation of its Naburn treatment works in Fulford. The Environment Agency prosecuted th […]
- Press release: Reducing flood risk in Appleby, Cumbria April 29, 2016The Environment Agency has completed construction work to improve flood defences near the swimming pool in Appleby, and will soon start repairs at Holme Farm Bridge. The Environment Agency has replaced the 23 demountable steel gates which previously ran across the swimming pool car park with a permanent flood defence wall. The gates, which were over 20 years […]
- Press release: Reducing flood risk in Glenridding, Cumbria April 29, 2016Improvements to flood defences are underway this week as the Environment Agency starts work on a new wall to protect residents from flooding in the village of Glenridding in Cumbria. The new flood defence wall, which will be 140 metres in length and a metre above the ground, is designed to provide flood protection to residents and properties along the bank o […]
- RT @scotgp: #ScotlandCan be bolder. Tomorrow you have the chance to make it happen. Vote Green on the regional ballot. https://t.co/xiWRRlc… 14 hours ago
- New chan guard I made for the chopper. https://t.co/aWp9tvzX46 1 day ago
- RT @SavetheDolphin1: World's First Shark-Deterrent Cable Could Prevent Shark Attacks In Australia #SaveTheSharks techtimes.com/articles/15539… 1 day ago
- RT @AnimalRRights: VIDEO: Alesha Dixon, Professor Green, Will Young and Their Dogs Star in HSI/UK PSA to rightrelevance.com/search/article… https://t.… 1 day ago
- RT @_glasgowtigers: RETWEET: To win a chance of 4 tickets for Tigers v Scorpions 3pm Sunday Peugeot Ashfield Stadium G226RU. Be there! http… 1 day ago
- RT @pewtrusts: Less than 3% of Pacific bluefin remain. It’s critical to act now: pew.org/1MSPwym https://t.co/xPVpDAix4m 3 days ago
- RT @StopWolfHunt: A peek at the bloodbath we ended in as we tried to human shield the #wolves via @CarolaAnkar #SaveSweWolves https://t.co… 3 days ago
- RT @RealAlexJones: EU Prepares Military Police Force to Shut Down Protests - infowars.com/eu-prepares-mi… 3 days ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- 2016 Himalayan – Karakorum – Tibet Workshop May 7, 2016 – May 12, 2016 Aussois, France
- ESA Living Planet Symposium May 9, 2016 – May 13, 2016 Prague, Czech Republic
- Seismix 2016 May 15, 2016 – May 20, 2016 Macdonald Aviemore Resort, Aviemore, Scotland
- Japan Geoscience Union Meeting 2016 May 22, 2016 – May 26, 2016 Chiba, Japan
- Japan Geoscience Union Meeting 2016 May 22, 2016 – May 26, 2016 Chiba-city, Japan
- IFC Water Valuation and Risk in the Financial sector webinar May 12, 2016 at 3:00 pm – 3:00 pm , Online, United Kingdom
- Second session of the United Nations Environment Assembly May 23, 2016 at 12:00 am – May 27, 2016 at 12:00 am UNEP Headquarters, Nairobi, Kenya
- 50th Meeting of the GEF Council June 6, 2016 at 9:00 am – June 9, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Washington DC, United States
- Premiam - Post Spill Monitoring Conference June 22, 2016 at 12:00 am – 12:00 am SOAS, London, United Kingdom
- World Water Week 2016 August 27, 2016 at 9:00 am – September 2, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Stockholm, Sweden
- IUCN World Conservation Congress September 1, 2016 at 9:00 am – September 10, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Hawaii, United States