Solar-Powered Plane Soars Above Golden Gate
Originally posted on CBS San Francisco:
MOUNTAIN VIEW (CBS SF) – A solar-powered plane with a unique look that took off Tuesday morning from Moffett Airfield in Mountain View passed over the Golden Gate Bridge just after 2 p.m.
The lightweight plane, which has a wingspan of 208 feet, was about 3,000 feet in the air as flew above San Francisco and the bay Tuesday afternoon, said Alexandra Gindroz, spokeswoman for the Swiss firm Solar Impulse, which owns the plane.
The plane, which weighs only about 3,500 pounds, runs completely on power from the sun drawn from 12,000 solar cells on the craft that send energy into batteries that power propellers running on four electric motors, Gindroz said.
[worldnow id=8803472 width=480 height=360 type=video]
Tuesday’s flight is a technical test run to prepare for a planned cross-country trip beginning in early May. On the first leg of the trip, the plane will depart from the Bay Area…
View original 221 more words
- COP21 Day 2 review: Deforestation top of the unofficial agenda December 1, 2015Tuesday at COP21 was dominated by forests, as a plethora of NGO's, businesses and dignitaries unveiled reforestation pledges, underlining the importance of carbon sequestration in reducing emissions.
- Global collaboration could save $550bn on clean energy deployment December 1, 2015The cost of worldwide clean energy technology deployments could be reduced by up to $550bn over the next 10 years if countries adopted global collaboration as a means of accelerating innovation, a new report has found.
- What I want from Paris: 21 climate leaders on COP21 - Part two December 1, 2015EXCLUSIVE: In the second of our two-part feature, sustainability leaders from the likes of Mars, Heineken and IKEA tell edie what they want to see from the Paris climate talks.
- Air pollution killing 430,000 Europeans a year November 30, 2015Air pollution is responsible for up to 430,000 premature deaths a year across Europe, a new report from the European Environment Agency (EEA) has found.
- Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg launch renewable energy investment group November 30, 2015Some of the world's most powerful figures including Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg and Richard Branson have announced a new collaboration aimed at creating affordable and reliable clean energy for the entire planet.
- Global energy consulting sector grows to almost $15bn November 30, 2015The global energy and resources consulting market grew 6% to $14.7bn in 2014 despite slumping oil prices, a new report from consultancy firm Source has found.
- Barack Obama: parts of Paris climate deal must carry legal force December 1, 2015President offers apparent compromise over the periodic review of emission reduction targets as Hillary Clinton goes on attack against Republicans back in USBarack Obama declared on Tuesday that some components to a global climate change agreement must carry legal force, easing one obstacle to a successful outcome at negotiations in Paris. In an apparent comp […]Suzanne Goldenberg
- Australia approved coalmine because it isn't a 'neo-colonialist' power, Greg Hunt claims December 1, 2015Environment minister defends approval of Indian company Adani’s $16bn Carmichael mine, saying ‘poorest should be able to make their own decisions’ The Australian government approved Adani’s controversial $16bn Carmichael coalmine in Queensland because it was not a “neo-colonialist”power that tried to tell poor countries what to do, environment minister Greg […]Lenore Taylor in Paris
- Island nations urge Turnbull to echo Obama's climate change leadership December 1, 2015Marshall Islands foreign minister says he hopes Australia might soon start to take islanders’ fears of climate change as seriously as the US president Malcolm Turnbull has been urged to show the same interest in the impact of climate change on low lying island island states as Barack Obama and to return Australia “to its former leadership role in the Pacific […]Lenore Taylor in Paris
- We bailed out the banks. Now let’s bail out the planet | Letters December 1, 2015Your editorial rightly highlights the serious problem of finding adequate funding to allow developing countries to tackle and cope with climate change (Last chance salon in Paris: there is no planet B, 30 November). It has been estimated that this could cost about $3,500bn, a truly staggering sum at this time of a global economic slowdown. Yet it mustn’t be […]Letters
- Sainsbury's hands Derbyshire town £1m to tackle food waste December 1, 2015Supermarket will work with families in Swadlincote to trial ideas such as growing mushrooms in coffee and artificial ‘noses’ that sniff out food spoilageSwadlincote, a market town in south Derbyshire, has won £1m from Sainsbury’s to invest in finding ways to halve household food waste.The supermarket will work with community groups and the local council next […]Sarah Butler
- COP21: the best metaphors from the Paris climate talks December 1, 2015From ‘the eyes of the world are upon us’ to ‘planet is a patient’, here is a pick of how world leaders chose to describe the urgency for actionWorld leaders gathered in Paris on Monday for the crucial UN summit on climate change to negotiate a treaty to limit global warming to 2C, the widely accepted temperature threshold to avert catastrophic disasters. But […]Emma Howard
- Finance January 23, 2013Short title: Finance Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- AUSTRALIAN NAZIS TARGET UK @slackbastard #ANTIFA @JLRFB @slatukip @siegfailsThe most unwelcome Australian import since Rolf Harris are planning a series of fascist marches in 2016, starting in the North East of Britain. "Reclaim Britain" (lol) the UK branch of the neo-nazi hate group from down under, "Reclaim Australia", are invading the UK with a series of hatemongering goosestomps, feeding on the diseased corps […]
- ALERTA #ANTIFA: AUSTRALIAN NAZIS TARGET UK @slackbastard @JLRFB @edlnewsThe most unwelcome Australian import since Rolf Harris are planning a series of fascist marches in 2016, starting in the North East of Britain. "Reclaim Britain" (lol) the UK branch of the neo-nazi hate group from down under, "Reclaim Australia", are invading the UK with a series of hatemongering goosestomps, feeding on the diseased corps […]
- BRITAIN’S DAVID CAMERON WANTS TO USE BOMBS TO PROSPECT FOR GOLD IN SYRIAHe is in fact an intimate part of "the club" which privately regards ISIS and other murdering rogues as tools to an end, and that end is to destroy Assad and turn Syria into a rump state. The club’s members always falsely describe the situation in Syria as a civil war rather than what it truly is, an invasion of a peaceful land by the creatures of […]
- TYSON FURY'S RACE RANT @edlnews #ANTIFA @misscheeky666 @slatedl @2ferdi7 @JLRFBBREAKING NEWS: TYSON FURY EXPOSED HIMSELF AS A RACIST SCUMBAG: As if being a sickening homophobe was not enough, Britain's undefeated world heavyweight boxing champion from an immigrant Irish Traveller background, has come out on a YouTube training video as a vile racist who accuses immigrants of blowing up British people. And now, from being derided by […]
- Paris – tear gas, grenades and hundreds of arrestsTear gas and grenades were fired by French riot cops against brave activists who defied martial law in France – and more than 200 people were arrested.
- Press release: Licence dodging angler pays high price for a day’s fishing December 1, 2015The angler was caught without a valid rod licence at Northam Farm fishing lake near Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset on 25 May 2015. Despite his fishing tackle being clearly visible at the water’s edge and having bought a day permit to fish, Mr Farquharson told Environment Agency bailiffs he had no intention of fishing. The angler’s attempt to ‘get off the hook’ ser […]
- Press release: Environment Agency reveals top flood-tackling gadgets December 1, 2015The Environment Agency has revealed its armoury of unusual kit used to tackle the spectre of flooding including lasers, solar-powered cameras, a gadget-laden incident vehicle and its latest ‘weapon’ - a remote-controlled robot called Mr Nosey. Mr Nosey is a new invention being used to investigate causes of flooding that people can’t reach, such as blocked tu […]
- Press release: Metropolitan Waste Management Limited permit revoked December 1, 2015A South London waste company has had its permit revoked by the Environment Agency after persistent non-compliance. The Environment Agency has revoked Metropolitan Waste Management Limited’s environment permit following years of persistent non-compliance with permit conditions and the company were deemed not competent to continue to operate. Metropolitan Wast […]
- Press release: Environment Agency grants variation to permit at Horse Hill December 1, 2015The Environment Agency has today (Monday 30 November) issued a variation to the mining waste permit held by Horse Hill Developments Limited. The company already held a permit to drill the exploratory borehole and manage wastes arising from that process; this variation allows them to test whether the oil reserves will flow and at what rate. No hydraulic fract […]
- News story: Farm suppliers warned over waste materials rules December 1, 2015Waste materials from external suppliers are routinely used on farms. They are used in a variety of ways from soil conditioning and fertiliser through to building farm tracks and animal bedding. Recycling has become an integral part of modern life. As technology advances, it’s possible to recycle more materials and in turn there is a real wealth of different […]
- South Lanarkshire against fly tipping hanger17.wordpress.com/2015/12/01/sou… 6 hours ago
- This Holiday Season: Choose compassion not unnecessary consumption! michaelgstarkey.com/2015/11/26/thi… via @wordpressdotcom 6 hours ago
- The word VEGAN plantandsoul.wordpress.com/2015/11/29/the… via @wordpressdotcom 6 hours ago
- At 65 Billion Deaths Annually, Animal Suffering Is Infinitely Worse Than Any Human Suffering via @wordpressdotcom 6 hours ago
- Sea Shepherd Blasts Japan’s Plan to Slaughter 4,000 Minke Whales talesfromtheloublog.wordpress.com/2015/12/01/sea… via @wordpressdotcom 6 hours ago
- ... 7 hours ago
- JOIN THE VIRTUAL MARCH ON PARIS emiliocogliani.wordpress.com/2015/12/01/joi… via @wordpressdotcom 7 hours ago
- Flying v Driving hanger17.wordpress.com/2015/12/01/fly… https://t.co/pIBN8tqGzs 7 hours ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- ESO Workshop: Solar system as seen by the ELTs November 30, 2015 – December 4, 2015 Garching, Germany
- 5th International Alluvial Fans Meeting November 30, 2015 – December 4, 2015 Christchurch, New Zealand
- World Soils Day Event December 2, 2015 London, UK
- 2015 AGU Fall Meeting December 14, 2015 – December 18, 2015 San Francisco, USA
- Tectonic Studies Group 2016 Annual Meeting January 6, 2016 – January 8, 2016 London, UK
- COP-21 side event: Low-emissions pathways and the role of oil and gas December 4, 2015 at 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm IETA-WBCSD Business Hub, Paris, France
- Global Landscapes Forum 2015 December 5, 2015 at 9:00 am – December 6, 2015 at 5:00 pm Paris, , France
- International Petroleum Technology Conference (IPTC): Technology and n Partnerships for a Sustainable Energy Future December 6, 2015 at 12:00 am – December 9, 2015 at 12:00 am Qatar National Convention Centre, Doha, Qatar
- 9th International Petroleum Technology Conference (IPTC) December 6, 2015 at 9:00 am – December 9, 2015 at 5:00 pm , Doha, Qatar
- WBCSD ExCom Council Meeting and AGM December 7, 2015 at 9:00 am – December 10, 2015 at 5:00 pm Paris, , France
- Sub-Committee of Experts on the Globally Harmonized System of Classification n and Labelling of Chemicals (30th session) December 9, 2015 at 9:00 am – December 11, 2015 at 5:00 pm , Geneva, Switzerland