Solar-Powered Plane Soars Above Golden Gate
MOUNTAIN VIEW (CBS SF) – A solar-powered plane with a unique look that took off Tuesday morning from Moffett Airfield in Mountain View passed over the Golden Gate Bridge just after 2 p.m.
The lightweight plane, which has a wingspan of 208 feet, was about 3,000 feet in the air as flew above San Francisco and the bay Tuesday afternoon, said Alexandra Gindroz, spokeswoman for the Swiss firm Solar Impulse, which owns the plane.
The plane, which weighs only about 3,500 pounds, runs completely on power from the sun drawn from 12,000 solar cells on the craft that send energy into batteries that power propellers running on four electric motors, Gindroz said.
[worldnow id=8803472 width=480 height=360 type=video]
Tuesday’s flight is a technical test run to prepare for a planned cross-country trip beginning in early May. On the first leg of the trip, the plane will depart from the Bay Area…
View original post 221 more words
- G7 nations commit to ending 'inefficient' fossil fuel subsidies by 2025 May 31, 2016Plans to drive a low-carbon transition as part of the recent Paris Agreement have been given a timely boost, after the G7 nations agreed a landmark deal to end the majority of fossil fuel subsidies by 2025.
- QUIZ: How could climate change destroy World Heritage Sites? May 31, 2016Why is New York's Statue of Liberty under threat of destruction from global warming? How could extreme weather destabilise the masonry at Stonehenge? Find out which of the world's official Heritage Sites are most at-risk of being destroyed by the effects of climate change in our latest flip-card quiz.
- Procter & Gamble to eliminate phosphates from dishwasher tablets globally May 27, 2016Consumer goods firm Procter & Gamble has announced a new innovation which will end phosphate use from all retail and professional Fairy dishwasher tablets by 2017, significantly reducing the environmental footprint of its products in addition to improving cleaning performance.
- Trump vows to 'cancel' the Paris Agreement and 'save' the coal industry May 27, 2016Just hours after clinching the necessary number of delegates to become the Republican nominee, Donald Trump unveiled new energy plans that would see the US overhaul "draconian climate rules" in order to stimulate job growth in the oil and gas sector.
- Asparagus turbines and car-eating buses: the best green innovations of the week May 26, 2016In a week which shockingly revealed that humans are damaging the environment faster than it can recover, edie rounds up the latest low-carbon technologies and innovations that could mitigate current impacts put the world on a 2C pathway.
- Investor pressure not enough as big oil baulks on climate change May 26, 2016During a 'do or die' week for three of the largest big oil companies, ExxonMobil, Chevron and Shell continue to rally against growing external pressure to adapt to a low-carbon pathway, warning that the shift would take an "unprecedented amount of effort".
- Scientists say Flint's water safe enough for hand-washing and showering June 1, 2016Professor who first confirmed the contamination said sampling found lead levels are steadily declining and municipal water can be used for personal cleanlinessMunicipal water in Flint, Michigan, has improved significantly and is suitable for personal cleanliness uses, scientists said Tuesday in a bid to calm fears raised by actor Mark Ruffalo and others who […]Associated Press
- The third man: Greens leader Richard Di Natale campaigns his own way May 31, 2016He may have been excluded from the leaders’ debate but that hasn’t kept his party out of the media spotlight this election campaign – far from itRichard Di Natale was at home on his farm on Sunday night, watching Malcolm Turnbull and Bill Shorten on television.His two rivals were taking part in the second “leaders’ debate” of the 2016 election campaign, with […]Gareth Hutchens
- Richard Di Natale views coral bleaching while snorkelling – video May 31, 2016The Australian Greens leader examines coral bleaching of the Great Barrier Reef while snorkelling at Lizard Island in Queensland. Richard Di Natale also dives at Michaelmas Cay, where he is joined by his deputy, Senator Larissa Waters. All footage provided by the Australian Greens Continue reading...Guardian Staff
- Surfer in critical condition after shark attack in Western Australia May 31, 2016Ben Gerring, a 29-year-old mine worker, was surfing at Falcon Beach south of Perth when he was mauled by a shark and has reportedly lost a legA surfer is fighting for his life after being mauled by a shark off a beach south of Perth.It’s believed 29-year-old Ben Gerring has lost a leg above the knee. Continue reading...Australian Associated Press
- I’ve spent a lifetime with gorillas. Shooting them should be a last resort | Ian Redmond May 31, 2016The killing of Harambe after a child fell into his enclosure at Cincinnati zoo was a tragedy. Lethal force is not the only way to deal with these reasoning animalsThe tragic events at Cincinnati zoo last Saturday triggered an outpouring of emotion all over the world. Shock at the killing of a splendid young silverback, Harambe, mixed with relief that the fou […]Ian Redmond
- OkCupid for unwanted fruits and veg: tech joins the fight against food waste May 31, 2016A crop of web and mobile developers from Silicon Valley and beyond are stopping blemished produce from ending up in landfillsWhen Zoe Wong moved to the San Francisco Bay Area three years ago, she fell in love with the fresh and abundant produce from surrounding farmers’ markets. Wong grew up in Hong Kong, where fruits and vegetables were scarce and imported. […]Twilight Greenaway
- Divest January 23, 2013Short title: Divest Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Summit in Warsaw: NATO opposes the United NationsAs expected, the NATO Summit that will be held on 8-9 July, 2016 in Warsaw, will be focused on taking crucial decisions on aspects concerning maintenance of security of the eastern borders of the Alliance. "We should enhance NATO presence in the eastern part of Europe, and such presence will be multinational. Thus, it will be a very strong signal that a […]
- KATY BOURNE SUSSEX PCC COVERS UP MURDERMURDER WITNESS CLAIMS SHE IS COVERING UP FOR THE KILLERS OF KATRINA TAYLOR 20 YEAR MURDER COVER UP TO BE EXPOSED David Joe Neilson says Katy Bourne pcc has had murder files removed from Sussex Police computers and that there are 3 different murder files 1 Before the murder 2 Murder reported a new set of files 3 Attacks intimidation attempted murder of David […]
- Solidarity with Assange 2000 days arbitrarily detained in EnglandVID (2 mins)-Julian Assange 2000 days arbitrarily detained in England: statement by former anti-war prisoner of U.S Ciaron O'Reilly https://youtu.be/HDB0jKI6st0
- Support organic agriculture in Rojava!Rojava in northern Syria could be facing famine this year due to the ongoing civil war. For years now Rojava has been cut off from much needed imports through an embargo enforced by Turkey.
- URGENT #ANTIFA CALLOUT: #LEEDS @2ferdi7 @millymatty @ant1fane @dubdanu @JLRFBNAZIS TO RETURN THIS AND EVERY SATURDAY TO #BRIGGATE: - THEY MUST BE OPPOSED! In today's interview with BBC News, swastika-tatooed Eva Van Housen is defying calls to stop campaigning for Vote Leave, and will be setting up her stall in Briggate. Leeds City Centre, once again this weekend, accompanied by fellow neo-nazi, former BNP Youth Leader / publicis […]
- Press release: Environment Agency enforcement targets close season offenders May 26, 2016Environment Agency enforcement teams have been busy cracking down on illegal fishing during the first few weeks of the coarse fish close season. Officers carried out more than 380 targeted patrols and found more than 70 people fishing on waters that are off-limits. The close season is in place to help natural fish populations spawn so it is illegal to fish d […]
- Press release: Kent & Leven recovery, 6 months after Desmond unleashed his wrath May 26, 2016It is now almost 6 months (6 months on June 4) since Storm Desmond hit, the emergency repairs to defences have been finished, over 30,000 tonnes of gravel have been moved and investigations are well underway to pinpoint the cause and extent of flooding. The findings will mean we have the evidence needed to ensure that the right work can take place in the rig […]
- Press release: Eden flood recovery, six months after Desmond unleashed his wrath May 26, 2016It is now almost 6 months (6 months on June 4) since Storm Desmond hit, the emergency repairs to defences have been finished, over 30,000 tonnes of gravel have been moved and investigations are well underway to pin point the cause and extent of flooding. The findings will mean we have the evidence needed to ensure that the right work can take place in the ri […]
- News story: Derwent flood recovery 6 months after Desmond unleashed his wrath May 26, 2016It is now almost 6 months (6 months on June 4) since Storm Desmond hit, the emergency repairs to defences have been finished, over 30,000 tonnes of gravel have been moved and investigations are well underway to pin point the cause and extent of flooding. The findings will mean we have the evidence needed to ensure the right work can take place in the right a […]
- Press release: Somerset builder prosecuted for dumping and burning waste near Crewkerne. May 26, 2016A 53-year-old Somerset builder who dumped and burned illegal waste in a field has been given a five-year Criminal Behaviour Order and 150 hours community service. Bernard Molloy, aged 53, of Shepton Beauchamp, admitted at Taunton Crown Court to transporting, depositing and transferring waste to Walditch Lane, Merriot, Somerset. The case was brought by the En […]
- UK bees hanger17.wordpress.com/2016/05/17/uk-… 2 weeks ago
- RSPCA hanger17.wordpress.com/2016/05/16/rsp… 2 weeks ago
- Animal Welfare Scotland hanger17.wordpress.com/2016/05/16/ani… 2 weeks ago
- New lights fitted along with heated grips. Felt good on the way back from speedway last night. https://t.co/6T0yu3mjqh 2 weeks ago
- RT @WasteManagement: Our landfill-gas-to-energy facilities offsets 2.5 million tons of CO2 emissions per year. #ThinkGreen https://t.co/hUu… 3 weeks ago
- RT @Protect_Wldlife: A Powerful Statement Mr President! "When The Buying Stops The Killing Can Too" @YaoMing https://t.co/rpO6tHnxEX 3 weeks ago
- RT @AnimalRRights: Heartbreaking neglect as dog survived by eating sticks and drinking rain water rightrelevance.com/search/article… https://t.co/C7XN… 3 weeks ago
- RT @Protect_Wldlife: Goodnight animal lovers worldwide & a big THANK YOU to the special souls who care for the orphans through the night. h… 3 weeks ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- 78th EAGE Conference & Exhibition 2016 May 30, 2016 – June 2, 2016 Vienna, Austria
- 7th International Workshop on Paleoseismology, Active Tectonics, and Archeoseismology May 31, 2016 – June 4, 2016 Crestone, CO, USA
- 10th GEO European Projects Workshop 2016 May 31, 2016 – June 2, 2016 Berlin, Germany
- Margins Through Time – GAC-MAC 2016 June 1, 2016 – June 3, 2016 Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
- ASTARTE, PEARL & TANDEM Joint Summer School June 3, 2016 – June 7, 2016 Chania, Crete, Greece
- 50th Meeting of the GEF Council June 6, 2016 at 9:00 am – June 9, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Washington DC, United States
- Premiam - Post Spill Monitoring Conference June 22, 2016 at 12:00 am – 12:00 am SOAS, London, United Kingdom
- World Water Week 2016 August 27, 2016 at 9:00 am – September 2, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Stockholm, Sweden
- IUCN World Conservation Congress September 1, 2016 at 9:00 am – September 10, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Hawaii, United States
- Reporting Working Group meeting and Good Practices Workshop September 27, 2016 at 8:00 am – September 29, 2016 at 2:00 pm ConocoPhillips , Houston, United States
- IWA World Water Congress and Exhibitions (Brisbane) October 9, 2016 at 9:00 am – October 13, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Brisbane, QLD, Australia