Solar-Powered Plane Soars Above Golden Gate
Originally posted on CBS San Francisco:
MOUNTAIN VIEW (CBS SF) – A solar-powered plane with a unique look that took off Tuesday morning from Moffett Airfield in Mountain View passed over the Golden Gate Bridge just after 2 p.m.
The lightweight plane, which has a wingspan of 208 feet, was about 3,000 feet in the air as flew above San Francisco and the bay Tuesday afternoon, said Alexandra Gindroz, spokeswoman for the Swiss firm Solar Impulse, which owns the plane.
The plane, which weighs only about 3,500 pounds, runs completely on power from the sun drawn from 12,000 solar cells on the craft that send energy into batteries that power propellers running on four electric motors, Gindroz said.
[worldnow id=8803472 width=480 height=360 type=video]
Tuesday’s flight is a technical test run to prepare for a planned cross-country trip beginning in early May. On the first leg of the trip, the plane will depart from the Bay Area…
View original 221 more words
- H&M strives to close the loop on clothing fibres March 27, 2015Swedish fashion giant H&M has released its annual report for 2014, revealing increased renewable energy use, more waste-water recycling and a growing commitment to the circular economy.
- Governments in the dark over true level of 'green job' creation March 26, 2015Claims that green policies are creating or destroying jobs are unsubstantiated, as they cannot yet evaluate the true impact due to a lack of data and poor methods.
- Sustainable investors beating market expectations, claims Morgan Stanley March 26, 2015Investment funds that use sustainability metrics to judge their stocks are likely to outperform those that don't, according to a new study by Wall Street firm Morgan Stanley.
- Corporate green bonds to surpass $30bn in 2015, says S&P March 24, 2015A record $30bn of 'green bonds' could be issued by private companies this year, helping to finance a growing number of environmental and sustainability projects around the world.
- Global electric car sales boom in 2014 March 23, 2015Around 320,000 new electric vehicles were registered around the world in 2014, accounting for 43% of all electric vehicles currently on the road.
- Wind turbine maintenance costs to almost double by 2020 March 19, 2015The global maintenance expenditure on wind turbines - vital to productivity - is expected rise from $9.25bn in 2014 to $17bn in 2020.
- The week in wildlife – in pictures March 27, 2015A languid langur, an even slower loris and a tufted titmouse drinking maple syrup from an icicle are among the pick of this week’s images from the natural world Continue reading...Eric Hilaire
- Rockefeller Brothers Fund: it is our moral duty to divest from fossil fuels March 27, 2015In an exclusive interview, Rockefeller Brothers Fund chair, Valerie Rockefeller Wayne and president, Stephen Heintz, talk about the decision to cut ties to fossil fuels, what it meant for the divestment movement and the challenges involvedOn a perfect summer day in June 2014, on the grounds of a stately home overlooking the Hudson river, a handful of the des […]Suzanne Goldenberg in New York
- The biggest story in the world podcast March 16, 2015The Guardian invites you behind the scenes as we embark on a global climate change campaign Continue reading...Narrated by Aleks Krotoski and produced by Francesca Panetta , Jason Phipps, Alannah Chance, Nabeelah Shabbir, Feilding Cage, with original music by Pascal Wyse
- Earth hour: millions will switch off lights around the world for climate action March 27, 2015Annual switching off of lights in homes, businesses and landmarks on Saturday evening holds extra significance ahead of this year’s climate talks in Paris, says the UN secretary general, Ban Ki-moonThe UN secretary general, Ban Ki-moon, has said hundreds of millions of Earth hour participants around the world will demand a strong global climate agreement by […]Karl Mathiesen
- United Reformed Church of Scotland divests from fossil fuels March 27, 2015United Reformed Church of Scotland commits to move assets out of oil, gas and coal companies and to not invest in fossil fuels in the futureThe United Reformed Church (URC) of Scotland, which represents 1,472 churches, has committed to pull out its investments in fossil fuel companies.The resolution was passed with “overwhelming support” on Saturday at a mee […]Emma Howard
- Antarctic ice shelves are melting dramatically, study finds March 26, 2015Melting of floating ice shelves around the continent is accelerating, potentially unlocking extra sea level rise from larger ice sheets jammed behind themThe ice around the edge of Antarctica is melting faster than previously thought, potentially unlocking metres of sea-level rise in the long-term, researchers have warned.A team of US scientists looked at 18 […]Karl Mathiesen
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Danny Schechter 1942-2015 - an appreciation.Danny Schechter, surely one of the greatest, if not the greatest, American journalist of the twentieth century sadly passed away on Thursday 19th March 2015 after a brave battle with cancer. His prolific output, commitment to truth, justice and humanity should be a beacon of light to young journalists everywhere. Here is my tribute to the News Dissector with […]
- New anti-establishment party on the rise in the UKHow millions who have turned off the political system have the chance to finally vote in the 2015 May general elections thanks to The Above and Beyond Party
- Understand The Options Available When Facing Mortgage RepossessionImpede repossession! Mortgage repossession is a huge financial setback and loss of property for any homeowner. Here are ways in which you can stop your home from being repossessed!
- International CalloutWe are currently resisting a large scale eviction attempt in Dublin. Grangegorman is a large complex of occupied warehouses, converted offices, residential houses and community gardens. We have occupied the site for over a year and a half and are asking for people to help us resist eviction in any way they can
- Attack on Balfour Beaty and The Post, BristolAttack on Balfour Beaty and The Post, Bristol
- Press release: Help plan the future and protect our environment - join the flood and coastal committee March 27, 2015This is an exciting opportunity for someone to support the Environment Agency and local authorities to create partnerships that fund and deliver projects for communities at risk. The RFCC plays a critical role in deciding local priorities for flood and coastal erosion risk management. One of the 3 new members will ideally be a conservation representative who […]
- Press release: Multi-agency clamp down on illegal scrap metal operators in Boston March 27, 2015The Environment Agency worked with Boston Borough Council, Lincolnshire County Council and Lincolnshire Police on 26 March to put a stop to illegal activity - and keep a level playing field for legitimate businesses to operate in the waste vehicle dismantling sector. Officers visited illegal vehicle dismantlers and unlicensed scrap metal dealers and carriers […]
- Press release: Waste company owner given suspended prison sentence for waste tyre offences March 25, 2015Andrew Mayhew pleaded guilty to 5 offences at Plymouth Crown Court of running a waste operation without the necessary permits, which involved dumping large numbers of tyres at several different sites including Hill Barton Business Park, Exeter; Moor Barton Farm in Tiverton, as well as Dawlish, North Tawton, and Hayedown industrial estate, Tavistock. At the h […]
- Press release: Work starts on Teesside flood defences March 25, 2015The Environment Agency is to start building flood defences to protect hundreds of homes and businesses from the threat of flooding. Local business Wilton Engineering will manufacture part of the flood defences to help protect its local community in Port Clarence. The multi-million pound alleviation scheme is designed to lessen the flood risk to around 350 ho […]
- Press release: Committee members needed to help shape future flood plans March 24, 2015Trent RFCC plays an important role in deciding local priorities, raising local levy funding and approving flood and coastal risk management work. Committee members also have a critical role in supporting the Environment Agency and Lead Local Flood Authorities, by working with communities and other partners to identify and bring in funding. Applicants do not […]
- RT @Chewster2e: Woman sues dog walker who lost pit bull after 'flipping out' nyp.st/1BklDdq via @nypost http://t.co/bAvVbQi7OL 4 days ago
- RT @BosnianRescue: @occupyforanimal @ESDAW_Europe @BalkanDogs #Sarajevo: Volunteers Give Hope to Forgotten #Dogs journalistsforanimals.com/sarajevo-volun… htt… 4 days ago
- RT @Freja_Petersen: Sign/RT: Man Buys Cats From Craigslist, Mistreats Them & Leaves The Bodies In His Backyard ... petitionhub.org/Man-Buys-Cats-… h… 4 days ago
- RT @MinaANDMaya: RT ASAP! If re-elected @Conservatives will repeat INEFFECTIVE & INHUMANE #UK cull @Network4Animals #stopthebadgercull http… 4 days ago
- RT @Animal_Place: #Monterey County Folks: Share and help #sheep saved from horrific cruelty find a new home! Email Marji Beach at marji@ani… 5 days ago
- RT @AnimalRRights: Top animal rights Twitter influencers one should follow rightrelevance.com/?q=tab_type%3D… 5 days ago
- Circuses as Conservationist Organizations? (Written for The Ecotone Exchange) wp.me/pPEwS-2oJ 1 week ago
- Poaching and animal trafficking become major crime concern for the US wp.me/pPEwS-2oD 1 week ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
- How to fight the tax cheats April 1, 2015 at 6:30 pm Friends Meeting House, 43 St Giles, Oxford, OX1 3LW.
- Britain in the World. Q&A with Parliamentary Candidates April 23, 2015 at 6:00 pm Oxford Town Hall, St Aldates, Central Oxford OX1 1BX
Climate Change Events
- Microstructural evolution during HT deformation - MicroDIce Final conference March 30, 2015 – April 2, 2015 Montpellier, France
- Integrated Hydrosystem Modelling Conference 2015 April 7, 2015 – April 11, 2015 Tuebingen, Germany
- From Hooke to Helioseismology: The UK’s contribution to seismolo gy – past, present and future April 9, 2015 – April 11, 2015 Leicester, England
- Conference on Complex Networks and Climate Variability April 11, 2015 – April 13, 2015 Vienna, Austria
- EGU General Assembly 2015 April 12, 2015 – April 18, 2015 Vienna, Austria
- Spring Meeting - World Bank Group and International Monetary Fund April 17, 2015 at 8:00 am – April 19, 2015 at 4:00 pm , Washington D.C, United States
- IAIA15: Impact Assessment in the Digital Era April 20, 2015 at 8:15 am – April 23, 2015 at 4:00 pm Firenze Fiera Congress & Exhibition Center , Florence, Italy
- International Chemical and Oil Pollution Conference and Exhibition April 21, 2015 at 7:30 am – April 24, 2015 at 5:30 pm , , Singapore
- Global Water Summit: The Water Value Revolution April 26, 2015 at 11:00 pm – 11:00 pm , Athens, Greece
- IFC Sustainability Exchange May 20, 2015 at 8:00 am – May 21, 2015 at 4:00 pm , Washington, United States
- IWRA World Water Congress XV May 24, 2015 at 11:00 pm – May 28, 2015 at 11:00 pm , Edinburgh, United Kingdom