Best Advice for Dumpster Divers
Dumpster diving can be a blast, and a great way to get healthy food for many of us who were not born into class privilege. I don’t dumpster dive as much as I use to, but I have been doing it off and on since I first lived in a squat on the streets of edmonton, in 1996 at the age of 16.
I also have many friends and roommates who do the dive, and as awesome as it can be I have notice a few common trends and I feel like some folks might benefit from a little basic advice.
In Grime We Crust?
1) While there is many treasures to be found in the garbage, not everything in the bins is treasure. Often things belong in the garbage, sometimes way before they were ever thrown out. Products like Sunny D, or “Orange Beverage” which is…
View original post 1,230 more words
- Global water shortages to deliver 'severe hit' to economies, World Bank warns May 4, 2016Water shortages will deliver a "severe hit" to the economies of the Middle East, central Asia, and Africa by the middle of the century, taking double digits off their GDP, the World Bank warned on Tuesday.
- Timberland pledges to 'preserve the outdoors' with fresh sustainability targets May 3, 2016Outdoor clothing company Timberland has set itself a new list of ambitious sustainability targets for 2020, including goals to plant 10 million trees and ensure that 50% of energy comes from renewable sources.
- Patricia Espinosa nominated to replace Christiana Figueres as UN climate chief May 3, 2016Mexican diplomat Patricia Espinosa looks set to replace Christiana Figueres as the new Executive Secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) after receiving the nomination in a selection process led by UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon.
- Electric cars to become 'hallmark' of VW's portfolio April 29, 2016Automotive giant Volkswagen (VW) has unveiled new transformative outlines for its future projections, which will see the company make electric vehicles (EVs) its new "hallmark", in an attempt to rectify the recent emissions-rigging scandal.
- The low-carbon revolution: Around the world in numbers April 29, 2016With the dust settling on a memorable Earth Day which saw 175 global heads of state from around the world officially sign the Paris Agreement, individual nations have been busy introducing a variety of green policy drivers aimed at curbing climate change.
- 'Radical action' needed to push towards zero-carbon future April 28, 2016The implementation of "radical action" will be necessary to drive the transition to zero-carbon energy systems and to keep global temperature rise below 2°C, according to a newly formed coalition of global commissioners.
- Greens' want 1.2m households to install renewable energy storage May 4, 2016Deputy leader Adam Bandt says program – estimated to cost $2.9bn – could be funded by scrapping concessions to fossil fuel-intensive industriesThe Greens want millions of households to install renewable energy storage units, saying battery storage could “revolutionise” Australia’s energy system.They have announced a five-year support package for 1.2m homes a […]Gareth Hutchens
- Air pollution warnings issued as UK temperatures set to soar May 4, 2016Hot weekend means people with lung or heart problems should avoid outdoor strenuous activity, warns DefraThe government has issued air pollution warnings as temperatures are set to climb towards 27C (more than 80F) in south-east England and the Midlands on Sunday.The warm weather, which threatens to be hotter than in parts of the Mediterranean, may be accomp […]James Meikle
- Florida's coral reefs rapidly 'wasting away' under stress of climate change May 4, 2016Accelerated acidification of coastal waters has brought about structural decline of only reef in continental US, initially pegged by scientists at around 2050Florida’s coral reefs are disintegrating far more quickly than previously thought, with warming, acidifying oceans causing a “wasting away” of the coral structures that support an abundance of marine li […]Oliver Milman in New York
- Fracking: environmental groups sue EPA in call for strict rules on waste May 4, 2016Fracking has led to hundreds of billions of gallons of waste full of toxic chemicals – yet the process is hardly subject to any standards, coalition saysFrack waste has triggered earthquakes from Ohio to Oklahoma, and fouled rivers in Pennsylvania to North Dakota – and now the Obama administration is being sued by environmental groups to crack down on indust […]Suzanne Goldenberg
- BHP Billiton faces £30bn compensation claim over Brazil dam disaster May 4, 2016Mining subsidiary Samarco blamed for country’s worst environmental tragedy, which left 19 dead, but critics say legal case is politically motivatedThe mining group BHP Billiton and its partner Vale are facing a 155bn reais (£30bn) claim from Brazilian prosecutors over an iron ore mine dam collapse last year that released a torrent of toxic mud, killing 19 pe […]Terry Macalister
- US ceases efforts to end global trade of polar bear parts May 4, 2016US Fish and Wildlife Services to shift focus to climate change’s effects on bearsCanada had opposed ban as threats to hunting economy and Inuit practices The US government has quietly dropped its campaign for an international ban in the trade of polar bear parts, which would have given the practice the same outlaw status as the elephant ivory market.The US F […]Oliver Milman
- Divest January 23, 2013Short title: Divest Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Freedom for our comrade arrested on the 13A in BarcelonaA call to Solidarity with our comrade arrested last 13 of April in Barcelona. We must stop the extradition.
- ALERTA #ANTIFA: LES SEAVOR THREAT @slatukip @JLRFB @misscheeky666 @dubdanu #ukipCOWARDLY ageing Hitler admirer / UKIP supporter Les Seavor from Huyton, Liverpool, has been sending death threats to FEMALE TWITTER USERS who he has promised to track them down and "give them a kicking". Everybody must report him ASAP to the Merseyside Police. His address and phone number are listed in the telephone directory, 192.com, so he will b […]
- ALERTA ANTIFA: LES SEAVOR THREATS @slatukip @JLRFB @dubdanu @misscheeky666 #ukipCOWARDLY ageing Hitler admirer Les Seavor from Huyton, Liverpool, has been sending death threats to FEMALE TWITTER USERS who he has promised to track them down and "give them a kicking". Everybody must report him ASAP to the Merseyside Police. His address and phone number are listed in the telephone directory, 192.com, so he will be extremely easy […]
- ALERTA ANTIFA: LES SEAVOR THREATS @slatukip @dubdanu @JLRFB @misscheeky666 #ukipCOWARDLY ageing Hitler admirer Les Seavor from Huyton, Liverpool, has been sending death threats to fellow Twitter users, who he has promised to track them down and "give them a kicking". Everybody must report him ASAP to the Merseyside Police. His address and phone number are listed in the telephone directory, 192.com, so he will be extremely easy […]
- Hiding information about health of Poland's ruling party head is a step towardsOn the 20th of February 2016 the information that the head of Poland's governing party Law and Justice, Jaroslaw Kaczynski, possibly has a genetic disease known as Fragile X syndrome (FXS), appeared on the Internet ( http://homment.com/pQeC3y7HmF). It became known from a letter ( http://www.imghost.eu/images/2016/02/20/mb.png) of German politician Sabin […]
- Press release: Water release at Wimbleball Reservoir to help young salmon May 4, 2016More than 300,000,000 litres of water will be released over 3 days to aid salmon smolt migration downstream. The Environment Agency asks South West Water, who manage the reservoir with Wessex Water, to release the water. The release is a mitigation measure resulting from the construction of Wimbleball Lake in the 1970s. It is particularly useful to do this i […]
- Press release: Environment Agency and Army test flood response May 4, 2016The exercise, which took place at Nesscliffe training ground near Shrewsbury, was based on a significant flood event where an electricity substation was at an immediate risk of flooding. Over 80 soldiers were involved in setting up approximately 150m of 1.25m high temporary flood barrier around the substation. They also practiced sandbagging and setting up h […]
- Press release: Yorkshire Water fined £1.1million for illegal sewage discharge April 29, 2016Yorkshire Water has been fined £1.1million for illegally discharging sewage that polluted the River Ouse near York. Yorkshire Water Services Ltd was sentenced on Friday 29 April at Leeds Crown Court, after previously admitting three environmental offences relating to the operation of its Naburn treatment works in Fulford. The Environment Agency prosecuted th […]
- Press release: Reducing flood risk in Appleby, Cumbria April 29, 2016The Environment Agency has completed construction work to improve flood defences near the swimming pool in Appleby, and will soon start repairs at Holme Farm Bridge. The Environment Agency has replaced the 23 demountable steel gates which previously ran across the swimming pool car park with a permanent flood defence wall. The gates, which were over 20 years […]
- Press release: Reducing flood risk in Glenridding, Cumbria April 29, 2016Improvements to flood defences are underway this week as the Environment Agency starts work on a new wall to protect residents from flooding in the village of Glenridding in Cumbria. The new flood defence wall, which will be 140 metres in length and a metre above the ground, is designed to provide flood protection to residents and properties along the bank o […]
- New chan guard I made for the chopper. https://t.co/aWp9tvzX46 17 hours ago
- RT @SavetheDolphin1: World's First Shark-Deterrent Cable Could Prevent Shark Attacks In Australia #SaveTheSharks techtimes.com/articles/15539… 17 hours ago
- RT @AnimalRRights: VIDEO: Alesha Dixon, Professor Green, Will Young and Their Dogs Star in HSI/UK PSA to rightrelevance.com/search/article… https://t.… 17 hours ago
- RT @_glasgowtigers: RETWEET: To win a chance of 4 tickets for Tigers v Scorpions 3pm Sunday Peugeot Ashfield Stadium G226RU. Be there! http… 1 day ago
- RT @pewtrusts: Less than 3% of Pacific bluefin remain. It’s critical to act now: pew.org/1MSPwym https://t.co/xPVpDAix4m 2 days ago
- RT @StopWolfHunt: A peek at the bloodbath we ended in as we tried to human shield the #wolves via @CarolaAnkar #SaveSweWolves https://t.co… 2 days ago
- RT @RealAlexJones: EU Prepares Military Police Force to Shut Down Protests - infowars.com/eu-prepares-mi… 2 days ago
- This is my Suzuki street fighter before new mods. Will upload another when finished. instagram.com/p/BE4e-YKQZ6y/ 2 days ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- 8th International Workshop on Sand/Duststorms and Associated Dustfall (DUSTworkshop8) May 1, 2016 – May 4, 2016 Lisbon, Portugal
- 2016 Himalayan – Karakorum – Tibet Workshop May 7, 2016 – May 12, 2016 Aussois, France
- ESA Living Planet Symposium May 9, 2016 – May 13, 2016 Prague, Czech Republic
- Seismix 2016 May 15, 2016 – May 20, 2016 Macdonald Aviemore Resort, Aviemore, Scotland
- Japan Geoscience Union Meeting 2016 May 22, 2016 – May 26, 2016 Chiba, Japan
- IFC Water Valuation and Risk in the Financial sector webinar May 12, 2016 at 3:00 pm – 3:00 pm , Online, United Kingdom
- Second session of the United Nations Environment Assembly May 23, 2016 at 12:00 am – May 27, 2016 at 12:00 am UNEP Headquarters, Nairobi, Kenya
- 50th Meeting of the GEF Council June 6, 2016 at 9:00 am – June 9, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Washington DC, United States
- Premiam - Post Spill Monitoring Conference June 22, 2016 at 12:00 am – 12:00 am SOAS, London, United Kingdom
- World Water Week 2016 August 27, 2016 at 9:00 am – September 2, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Stockholm, Sweden
- IUCN World Conservation Congress September 1, 2016 at 9:00 am – September 10, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Hawaii, United States