Best Advice for Dumpster Divers
Originally posted on Profane Existence:
Dumpster diving can be a blast, and a great way to get healthy food for many of us who were not born into class privilege. I don’t dumpster dive as much as I use to, but I have been doing it off and on since I first lived in a squat on the streets of edmonton, in 1996 at the age of 16.
I also have many friends and roommates who do the dive, and as awesome as it can be I have notice a few common trends and I feel like some folks might benefit from a little basic advice.
In Grime We Crust?
1) While there is many treasures to be found in the garbage, not everything in the bins is treasure. Often things belong in the garbage, sometimes way before they were ever thrown out. Products like Sunny D, or “Orange Beverage” which is…
View original 1,230 more words
- Global energy system primed for storage 'megashift' August 3, 2015There will be an international 'megashift' towards energy storage - batteries in particular - within the next 10 years, the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) has predicted.
- Greenpeace holds 'Titanic' protest against Shell Arctic oil drilling August 3, 2015Greenpeace has today (3 August) held the opening recital of a month-long run of musical protests against Arctic oil drilling taking place outside Shell's offices in London.
- Obama launches Clean Power Plan to slash power plant emissions August 3, 2015President Obama is set to launch the final version of America's Clean Power Plan today (3 August) to tackle carbon emissions from power plants.
- UN agrees 'transformative' sustainable development blueprint August 3, 2015The UN has agreed on 17 Sustainable Development Goals that aim to tackle climate change and reduce global poverty over the next 15 years.
- Coca-Cola ups water efficiency 10%, lags behind emissions targets July 31, 2015The world's largest beverage company has released its 2014/15 sustainability report, revealing a 10% improvement in water efficiency, but a slowdown in emissions reductions.
- World Bank rejects energy industry notion that coal can cure poverty July 30, 2015The World Bank said coal was no cure for global poverty on Wednesday, rejecting a main industry argument for building new fossil fuel projects in developing countries.
- Let's go fly a kite: British team looks to harness wind power from the skies August 4, 2015Former yacht designer’s ambitious project intends to put huge kites flying over the sea in formation to generate clean, affordable electricity “Oh wow! Look at that, it’s really hoofing some power out now,” beams Bill Hampton, looking up at his outsize kite as it swoops over a wheat field on the Essex coast. The purple prototype is, Hampton hopes, a step tow […]Damian Carrington in Bradwell
- Public support for UK nuclear and shale gas falls to new low August 4, 2015Long-running government survey drops usual polling showing support for renewable energy, for first time British public support for nuclear power and shale gas has fallen to its lowest ever level in a long-running official government survey, which has also briefly ceased polling showing widespread public support for renewable energy.Nuclear and fracking for s […]Adam Vaughan
- Killing of Cecil the lion sparks £0.5m in donations to Oxford wildlife researchers August 4, 2015Oxford University’s Wildlife Conservation Research Unit, which was studying lion shot in Zimbabwe, has received over £550,000 to fund big cat researchThe death of Cecil the lion has sparked donations of more than £500,000 to an appeal founded by a team of conservation researchers.Cecil, shot last month by an American dentist, was being studied by Oxford Univ […]Press Association
- Russia lays claim to vast areas of Arctic August 4, 2015Foreign ministry says it has submitted bid to UN for more than 463,000 sq miles of sea shelf as competition for oil and gas resources heats upRussia has submitted a bid to the UN claiming vast territories in the Arctic, the country’s foreign ministry said on Tuesday.The ministry said in a statement that Russia is claiming 1.2m sq km (over 463,000 sq miles) o […]Associated Press in Moscow
- Speed of glacier retreat worldwide 'historically unprecedented', says report August 4, 2015Researchers have recorded rapid rises in meltwater and alarming rates of glacial retreat, which are accelerating at a pace double that of a decade agoThe world’s glaciers are in retreat. The great tongues of ice high in the Himalayas, the Andes, the Alps and the Rockies are going back uphill at ever greater speeds, according to new research.And this loss of […]Tim Radford
- G20 countries pay over $1,000 per citizen in fossil fuel subsidies, says IMF August 4, 2015World’s leading economies still paying trillions in subsidies despite pledges to phase them out, new figures showSubsidies for fossil fuels amount to $1,000 (£640) a year for every citizen living in the G20 group of the world’s leading economies, despite the group’s pledge in 2009 to phase out support for coal, oil and gas. Continue reading...Damian Carrington
- Finance January 23, 2013Short title: Finance Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- RT @BBCEarth: Ancient mound confirms insects can live in the same homes for millennia bbc.in/1JXBOlI http://t.co/WGyJbwPcMG 6 hours ago
- RT @RIBERABA: TWEETSHEET ANYTIME ➡GRAUSAMKEITAUF TIERE IN #SouthKorea ➡SENDEN ALLEN TWEETS IM DOC sites.google.com/site/stopkorea… http://t.co/AbH8T… 6 hours ago
- My street fighter is now on the road and going good. http://t.co/Dz60hyGJ0W 7 hours ago
- RT @willtravers: ZIMBABWE UPDATE: #JerichoTheLion has not been killed. #Zimbabwe has suspended #trophyhunting of #elephants #Lion & #leopar… 1 day ago
- RT @TakePart: #CecilTheLion's death reveals the truth about America's role in #trophyhunting that can lo longer be ignored: http://t.co/g7G… 1 day ago
- RT @KarenMessier: #JanSeski > Zimbabwe officials accuse 2nd American of killing lion in illegal hunt via @CTVNews #TrophyHunting http://t.c… 1 day ago
- RT @cina_lover: Barilla bans animal experiments ln.is/wordpress.com/… via @JamesWoodAR 4 days ago
- RT @peta: After human fatalities, injuries, & elephant abuse. PETA petitions #OSHA to prohibit direct contact with elephants: http://t.co/x… 4 days ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- AOGS 12th Annual Meeting August 2, 2015 – August 8, 2015 Singapore, Singapore
- 12th International Congress for Applied Mineralogy (ICAM) August 10, 2015 – August 13, 2015 Istanbul, Turkey
- Mountain Ranges and High Plateaus August 16, 2015 – August 30, 2015 Camp Davis, Jackson, USA
- Summer School on Speleothem Science 2015 August 23, 2015 – August 30, 2015 Oxford, United Kingdom
- Wageningen Soil Conference August 23, 2015 – August 28, 2015 Wageningen, The Netherlands
- World Water Week August 23, 2015 at 9:00 am – August 28, 2015 at 5:00 pm , Stockholm, Sweden
- UNFCCC ADP 3 August 31, 2015 at 12:00 am – September 4, 2015 at 12:00 am , Bonn, Germany
- International Forests and Water Dialogue September 8, 2015 at 9:00 am – September 9, 2015 at 5:00 pm , Durban, South Africa
- B4E Climate Summit 2015 September 9, 2015 at 9:00 am – September 10, 2015 at 5:00 pm , London, United Arab Emirates
- Sustainable Procurement & Supply Summit September 22, 2015 at 9:00 am – 5:00 pm , London, United Kingdom
- Reporting Working Group meeting September 29, 2015 at 9:00 am – October 1, 2015 at 5:00 pm Tullow Oil, London, United Kingdom