Best Advice for Dumpster Divers
Dumpster diving can be a blast, and a great way to get healthy food for many of us who were not born into class privilege. I don’t dumpster dive as much as I use to, but I have been doing it off and on since I first lived in a squat on the streets of edmonton, in 1996 at the age of 16.
I also have many friends and roommates who do the dive, and as awesome as it can be I have notice a few common trends and I feel like some folks might benefit from a little basic advice.
In Grime We Crust?
1) While there is many treasures to be found in the garbage, not everything in the bins is treasure. Often things belong in the garbage, sometimes way before they were ever thrown out. Products like Sunny D, or “Orange Beverage” which is…
View original post 1,230 more words
- How Britain's retailers can solve the Syrian refugee supply chain quandary October 24, 2016The shock revelation that Syrian refugee children have been found making clothes for a number of British fashion brands serves to highlight the desperate need for more robust procedures and increased collaboration among businesses to drive truly sustainable and ethical supply chains.
- Paris pathway paved with risk and opportunity for business, says CDP chief October 24, 2016EXCLUSIVE: "A story of risk and opportunity" is emerging for businesses that are yet to modify their operational plans to account for climate change and drive the transition to a "well-below two degrees" world, the chief executive of global disclosure organisation CDP has claimed.
- Tea value network delivering supply chain sustainability in Malawi October 24, 2016A multi-stakeholder coalition including Tesco, Marks & Spencer (M&S), and Unilever has made significant progress towards achieving a competitive Malawian tea sector where workers earn a living wage and smallholders earn a living income by 2020.
- Quarter of global emissions could be covered by a carbon price in 2017, says World Bank October 21, 2016If policymakers can embed a carbon price within "complimentary" green legislation, then climate change mitigation costs could fall by almost a third by 2030, a new report from the World Bank has found.
- Industry leaders unite to develop deforestation guidance October 24, 2016Mars, L'Oreal and Tetra Pak are among a host of international businesses that have come together to form a new cross-sector initiative to help tackle deforestation and develop better climate change accounting methods.
- SolarCity and Airbnb offer cash incentives on solar installations October 21, 2016As Tesla begins to make waves in the autonomous driving sphere, its sister company SolarCity has also branched-out into a new domain - partnering with hospitality company Airbnb to offer cash rebates on solar array installations.
- Detroit incinerator is hotspot for health problems, environmentalists claim October 23, 2016The country’s biggest trash-burning facility has been issued with a notice to sue, with local residents complaining of the bad smell and pollution it producesAt the intersection of two highways just outside downtown Detroit, a hulking relic of the city’s past looms over the skyline: the largest municipal trash incinerator in the US. It’s a facility that has […]Ryan Felton in Detroit
- Documentary film-makers face decades in prison for taping oil pipeline protests October 20, 2016Deia Schlosberg and Lindsey Grayzel face felony charges that first amendment advocates say are part of a growing number of attacks on freedom of the pressTwo documentary film-makers are facing decades in prison for recording US oil pipeline protests, with serious felony charges that first amendment advocates say are part of a growing number of attacks on fre […]Sam Levin in San Francisco
- Emergency order for Flint water crisis should have come sooner, EPA admits October 20, 2016Inspector general says the agency had the authority and ‘sufficient information’ to address lead contamination seven months before it finally took action The Environmental Protection Agency should have issued an emergency order to address the water crisis in Flint, Michigan, seven months before it eventually decided to take action, according to a report from […]Ryan Felton in Detroit
- Why has climate change been ignored in the US election debates? October 19, 2016While we rake over Clinton’s emails and Trump’s late-night tweets, climate has been the elephant in the room, leaving scientists and campaigners asking why there hasn’t been a single direct question about the crisis Climate change has been the elephant in the room during the past two US presidential debates. Ignoring this issue would be more understandable i […]Oliver Milman
- Amy Goodman showed us the perils of standing up to the fossil fuel industry | May Boeve October 18, 2016The rights of activists and journalists are under threat wherever communities challenge Big Oil – in North Dakota and beyond Related: Judge rejects riot charges for journalist Amy Goodman after oil pipeline protest For far too long, the world had been ignoring the North Dakota anti-pipelines protests. Then the Democracy Now! host Amy Goodman captured private […]May Boeve
- Pedals the bear, known for walking on hind legs, apparently killed by hunters October 18, 2016Body of bear with Pedals’ markings taken to weigh station by hunter, wildlife officials say, in New Jersey’s first sanctioned bow and arrow hunt in decadesPedals, a famed black bear who wandered around New Jersey on two legs like a human, appears to have been killed in the state’s first sanctioned bow and arrow hunt in four decades.Wildlife officials said th […]Oliver Milman in New York
- Divest January 23, 2013Short title: Divest Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Press release: Bank strengthening work starts in Collingham October 24, 2016Environment Agency contractors have started work on the banks of the River Wharfe in Collingham, near Wetherby, to repair damage to the river bank and protect flood defences. Work is underway to repair approximately 40 metres of river bank in Collingham adjacent to the flood defences at The Avenue, so that it is ready for the winter season. Contractors are e […]
- Press release: Thank you to the volunteers from the River Thames October 21, 2016As a ‘thank you’ to our volunteer lock keepers, the Environment Agency will be hosting a celebration on board the French Brothers ‘The New Queen of the Thames’, which is the largest boat on the Upper Thames. Demetri Somarakis, Environment Agency Thames Volunteer Team Project Manager, said: Our volunteers help ensure that the navigational Thames is running bo […]
- Press release: Virtual test to ensure River Aire moveable weir is winter ready October 21, 2016The Environment Agency has carried out a virtual test to ensure work to install a moveable weir on the River Aire is winter ready. Installation of the weir at Crown Point, a first for UK flood alleviation, is just one element that Leeds City Council, in partnership with the Environment Agency, is delivering as part of Phase 1 of the Leeds flood alleviation s […]
- Press release: Are you disposing of your oil or fuel correctly? October 20, 2016The Environment Agency is urging businesses and householders in the Ronkswood, Brickfields, Tolladine and Rainbow Hill areas of Worcester to check their oil tanks and ensure that they dispose of oil and fuel in a correct and safe way. Over the past few weeks Environment Agency officers have dealt with a number of incidents where oil has polluted the Worceste […]
- Press release: Environment Agency raid on illegal transfrontier waste shipment October 19, 2016Greenstore Ltd is a large storage facility at Baldwin’s Farm, Upminster, Essex where containers are rented out to individuals and companies for storage. The Environment Agency had information to suggest that the site was being frequented by criminals to store Waste Electronic and Electrical Equipment (WEEE), and stolen goods prior to illegal export. Environm […]
- Dawnwatch hanger17.wordpress.com/2016/10/21/daw… 3 days ago
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/rOcJuiQx5JA?a Cross Country in a Gasser 1955 Chevy with a Hemi! - Roadkill Ep. 30 4 days ago
- Message from the underground hanger17.wordpress.com/2016/10/20/mes… 4 days ago
- RT @falke_jonathan4: 10 Best Dogs For Children mecklet.com/s17hcz-childre… 6 days ago
- Update from animal rights hanger17.wordpress.com/2016/10/12/upd… 1 week ago
- RT @Protect_Wldlife: Confessions Of A #Rhino Poacher: I Have No Choice But To De-Horn Rhinos! protectallwildlifeblog.wordpress.com/confessions-of… #SaveRhinos #RhinoHor… 1 month ago
- RT @Misokeiko: 🎉🐬💦Another unsuccessful attempt to export Solomons dolphins radionz.co.nz/international/… https://t.co/bsDzjW8qec 1 month ago
- RT @morgankwyatt: Why is the grasshopper lucky? #spiritanimal #nature #spirituality bit.ly/2cNsu0o https://t.co/sfRKD57h3d 1 month ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- Convective and volcanic clouds detection, monitoring and modeling October 19, 2016 – October 28, 2016 Tarquinia, Italy
- 8th International Workshop on Planetary, Solar and Heliospheric Radio Emissions October 25, 2016 – October 27, 2016 Seggauberg, Austria
- 8th EGU Leonardo Conference: From evaporation to precipitation: the atmospheric moisture transport October 25, 2016 – October 27, 2016 Ourense, Spain
- PhD School on Ice Core Techniques (ICAT) 2.5 ECTS October 31, 2016 – November 6, 2016 Copenhagen, Denmark
- Risk Reduction for Resilient Cities November 3, 2016 – November 4, 2016 Bucharest, Romania
No upcoming events