Idaho to kill 2 wolf packs in National Wilderness Area
Recently, we learned that the Idaho Department of Fish and Game had hired a trapper to go into the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness Area to kill every member of the Golden and Monumental wolf packs.
Astoundingly, the United States Forest Service (USFS) is acquiescing to Idaho and letting that state’s hired trapper stay in its ranger cabins and use its federally-funded airfield. This appalling betrayal of public trust must be immediately rectified and not repeated.
The Idaho Department of Fish and Game contends it needs to kill all of the wolves from these two packs in order to bolster elk herds for recreational hunting. The shocking arrogance of the state of Idaho even requesting to access a U.S. Wilderness Area to destroy two wolf packs entirely is staggering. The capitulation by the US Forest Service is disappointing and not in keeping with the proud history of the agency. It is in complete contrast to the slogan of the National Wilderness Preservation System to “Keep Wilderness Wild”.
Ironically, the area that the Idaho Department of Fish and Game have sent their hired trapper is named after one of the original sponsors of the Wilderness Act, Senator Frank Church. Undoubtedly, Senator Church would look unkindly upon the abandonment of responsibility by USFS Chief Thomas Tidwell in granting nearly unrestrained access to what is little more than a freelance wildlife exterminator.
- WWF and Unilever announce campaign to protect one million trees July 8, 2015WWF and Unilever have launched a one-year partnership to engage consumers in the fight against deforestation, it was announced today (7 July).
- New Climate Economy: 10 ways to generate low-carbon economic growth July 7, 2015Low-carbon economic growth can become the new normal and limit the impact of climate change, according to a new report released today (7 July).
- James Cameron to make Sun Flower design open-source July 6, 2015Film producer James Cameron has announced that his innovative rotating Sun Flower design will be freely available to the public.
- IRENA: Pacific islands should embrace natural renewables resources July 3, 2015Small island nations can secure substantial economic benefits by developing renewable energy sources, according to a series of new reports.
- Sustainable product revenue growing six times faster than alternatives July 3, 2015Revenues from sustainable products or services are growing up to six times faster than 'normal' equivalents, according to new research from the Investor Responsibility Research Center Institute (IRRCi).
- Solar plane glides past world record in 80-hour solo flight July 2, 2015The solar plane Solar Impulse 2 has broken the world records for distance and duration of solar aviation, flying continuously for more than 80 hours and travelling 6000 km across the Pacific.
- 15,000 sq km of coral reef could be lost in current mass bleaching, say scientists July 7, 2015Noaa predicts third-ever global bleaching event could cause a 6% global reduction in coral reefs in less than two years. More than a third of coral reefs affected may be destroyed foreverA massive coral bleaching event currently ravaging coral reefs across the globe could destroy thousands of square kilometres of coral cover forever, US government scientists […]Karl Mathiesen
- Almost all London boroughs failed EU air pollution limit for toxic NO2 gas July 7, 2015Bromley and Sutton only two boroughs to meet limit set for nitrogen dioxide gas linked to respiratory health problems, data showsAll but two of London’s boroughs are exceeding EU limits for a toxic gas linked to respiratory problems, ministers have admitted.Bromley and Sutton were the only two boroughs to meet the annual mean limit for nitrogen dioxide (NO2) […]Adam Vaughan
- Pakistan's climate policies are a ‘joke’, says Imran Khan July 7, 2015Influential politician says country needs strategy to invest in green energy and prepare for extreme weather, in an exclusive interview with RTCC Pakistan’s commitment to tackling climate change is a “joke” lacking proper funding and support from government officials, says cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan. In an exclusive interview with RTCC, Khan prai […]Aamir Saeed in Islamabad for RTCC, part of the Guardian Environment Network
- EU states call for tough new car fuel efficiency targets July 7, 2015Ministers from the Netherlands, Sweden, Ireland and Finland say new CO2 goals would reduce motoring costs and aid transition to zero-emission vehicles The EU should set challenging new fuel efficiency targets for new cars in 2025 to reduce motoring costs for consumers and tackle climate change, according to four member countries.Environment and transport min […]Arthur Neslen Brussels
- Man selling eagles on Facebook arrested in Indonesia July 7, 2015Changeable hawk-eagle, white-bellied sea eagle and spotted kestrel among 16 birds siezed by police in the port city of Surabaya, reports MongabayPolice in Indonesia’s second city of Surabaya, a hotbed of wildlife trafficking, seized 16 eagles of various types from a trafficker who was using Facebook to connect with potential customers. A tip alerted the auth […]Petrus Riski for Mongabay, part of the Guardian Environment Network
- Brown coal wins a reprieve in Germany's transition to a green future July 7, 2015Even as Europe’s biggest economy aspires to be a renewable energy leader, it is exploiting its vast reserves of dirty brown coal, reports Yale Environment 360 The hole in the landscape that opens up in front of the group of visitors is so vast and deep that some of them simply stare, mouths agape. “This mine will be active until 2026 or 2027,” says Barbara W […]Christian Schwägerl for Yale Environment 360, part of the Guardian Environment Network
- Finance January 23, 2013Short title: Finance Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Dzhemilev has difficulty in gathering a crowd for anti-Russian actions in CrimeaFor Kiev Mustafa Dzhemilev is sort of a keyman as he is the only Crimean Tatars’ ex-leader of global renown who immigrated in Ukraine just after Crimea broke away. He can easily be shown off to world community as the national hero of Crimean Tatars in exile.
- Vault 404: Ukraine’s awaiting anthropogenic ApocalypseThere’s again huge fire in the exclusion zone round Chernobyl NPP with the fire area covering around 130 hectares. Despite the Ukraine State Emergency Service’s reports on localization of the fire it’s become quite evident that current Ukraine is just unable to meet relevantly such challenges. First and foremost, they have failed to ensure all the necessary […]
- Press Release: Celebrating the life of Giles Hart - London Bombing Victim - Ten Years OnGiles Hart born 1949, was killed in the 7th July 2005 Bombings in Tavistock Square. On Sunday 5th July 2015 a service and celebration of his life were held by friends and family.
- Counterfire vs Anarchism.Ex SWP split off group Counterfire, and their attack on Anarchism.
- 'Amsterdam Climate Games' activist placed in foreign detentionA German climate activist that was arrested on Saturday during the Amsterdam Climate Games has been transferred to foreign detention on Monday morning. During the Climate Games action day hundreds of people took action in the Western port of Amsterdam against the coal, gasoline and soy industry, which according to the activists "is responsible for contr […]
- Press release: Essex villagers invited to view proposals to reduce flood risk July 7, 2015The Environment Agency is keen to hear the views from people in Coggeshall, Feering and Kelvedon about how possible options for reducing flood risk in the area could affect them. The 3 villages suffered from significant flooding in 2001, and more recently in 2012 and 2014. This increased frequency of flooding, together with a new policy for funding flood ris […]
- Press release: Work starts to repair Purfleet seawall July 7, 2015The defences, which are a sheet piled flood wall, reduce the risk of flooding to people and 4305 properties in Purfleet. Damaged sections of concrete blocks, which protect the coast from erosion, will be repaired to restore them to their original condition. Graham Verrier, Environment Agency flood risk manager said: Whilst the existing defences were damaged […]
- Press release: Help improve bathing water quality in Scarborough South Bay July 6, 2015As the temperatures rise and people head to Scarborough South Bay’s bathing beach, the Yorkshire Bathing Water Partnership is reminding people to do their bit to improve bathing water quality. Officers from the Environment Agency, Scarborough Borough Council and Yorkshire Water will be out and about on Tuesday, 7 July as part of the second pollution preventi […]
- Press release: Cambridgeshire locks under manual operation this weekend July 3, 2015The lock at St Ives and the Old Papermills lock in St Neots are both awaiting permanent repairs, following mechanical break downs which closed each of them for a short period of time. Low river levels between Godmanchester and Houghton are also causing concerns and boaters are advised to take extra care whilst navigating this stretch of the River Great Ouse. […]
- Press release: Don’t be caught out by flash flooding - be prepared July 3, 2015North Yorkshire County Council and the Environment Agency are urging communities across the county to be aware of the dangers of flash flooding, and to take steps to prepare. Flash flooding tends to happen when heavy rainfall runs off land and quickly swells rivers and streams. It can also occur where drainage systems are overwhelmed by intense rainfall. The […]
- Where will Beirut’s waste be dumped after July 17? hanger17.wordpress.com/2015/07/07/whe… 16 hours ago
- Barilla bans animal experiments hanger17.wordpress.com/2015/07/07/bar… 16 hours ago
- I'm looking for free Old concrete slabs @ bit.ly/1euNRyj 2 days ago
- RT @Matt_Dominguez: #WhenIWasAKid a bond w/ animals was developed which drives me today to fight against those who seek to harm them! http:… 1 week ago
- RT @Protect_Wldlife: Please Sign & RT: Stop Live Fish, Turtles & Other Amphibians Being Sold As Keyrings In China! thepetitionsite.com/tell-a-friend/… h… 1 week ago
- RT @peta: For hiking, going out on the town, or a day at the beach. 16 #Vegan Shoes for #Summer: peta.vg/summershoes http://t.co/mUtAvR4… 1 week ago
- RT @TakePart: 3 tiny houses that let you live green + off the grid: bit.ly/1fBGnui http://t.co/NnwVTuJDHe 1 week ago
- RT @wwwfoecouk: Campaigners alarmed over plans to sell stake in Green Investment Bank: theguardian.com/environment/20… http://t.co/9LiKoSNGi6 1 week ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- CIDER 2015 Summer Program "Solid Earth Dynamics and Climate - Mant le Interactions with the Hydrosphere & Carbosphere June 28, 2015 – August 1, 2015 Berkeley (CA), USA
- Summerschool: Advanced techniques for quantifying C and Si dynamic s July 6, 2015 – July 11, 2015 Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
- Pathways 2015: Pathways towards habitable planets July 13, 2015 – July 18, 2015 Bern, Switzerland
- 3rd International Summer School on Flow and Transport in Porous an d Fractured Media July 20, 2015 – August 2, 2015 Cargese
- Granulites & granulites 2015 July 26, 2015 – July 30, 2015 Windhoek, Namibia
- ICCB-ECCB - Mission Biodiversity: Choosing new paths for conservation August 2, 2015 at 9:00 am – August 6, 2015 at 5:00 pm Le Corum- Esplanade Charles De Gaulle, Montpellier, France
- UNFCCC ADP 3 August 31, 2015 at 12:00 am – September 4, 2015 at 12:00 am , Bonn, Germany
- Sustainable Procurement & Supply Summit September 22, 2015 at 9:00 am – 5:00 pm , London, United Kingdom
- Reporting Working Group meeting September 29, 2015 at 9:00 am – October 1, 2015 at 5:00 pm Tullow Oil, London, United Kingdom
- 2015 Annual Meetings of the World Bank Group and the International Monetary n Fund October 9, 2015 at 9:00 am – October 11, 2015 at 5:00 pm , Lima, Peru
- Employee Health and Wellbeing Conference October 11, 2015 at 8:30 am – October 13, 2015 at 5:00 pm , Doha, Qatar