I Was Made Erect and Lone
- Coalition for Urban Transitions launched to accelerate global climate commitments May 6, 2016A new coalition consisting of 83 affiliated cities, a global economic commission and the Word Resources Institute (WRI) was launched on Thursday (5 May), with the aim of using metropolitan areas as an "evidence base" to highlight the sustainable climate solutions available to policy makers.
- Coffee bean roads and the Green Wall of Africa: the best green innovations of the week May 6, 2016In a week that will define the future of London as a sustainable city, edie rounds up the latest low-carbon technologies and innovations that could turn the capital from a polluting mega-city to a bastion of the green revolution.
- Could Donald Trump 'dramatically threaten' the Paris climate deal? May 5, 2016Former COP21 president Laurent Fabius has warned that having a "climate change denier" as US president could "dramatically" threaten global action on climate change agreed upon as part of the historic Paris accord.
- Elon Musk: Politicians taking 'easy path' with fossil fuel subsidies May 5, 2016Tesla's chief executive Elon Musk has accused politicians of bowing to the "unrelenting and enormous" lobbying power of the fossil fuel industry, warning that a global "revolt" may be needed to accelerate the transition to more sustainable energy and transport systems.
- Why the new world of sustainability leadership lies in products May 6, 2016EXCLUSIVE: Companies that are tackling key environmental and societal issues through they way they design, make and sell products will become the leaders of the low-carbon economy, as customer-facing begin to diversify their services in favour of sustainable business.
- Global water shortages to deliver 'severe hit' to economies, World Bank warns May 4, 2016Water shortages will deliver a "severe hit" to the economies of the Middle East, central Asia, and Africa by the middle of the century, taking double digits off their GDP, the World Bank warned on Tuesday.
- Shed of the Year triumph for gin saloon marred by planning permission row May 6, 2016Walter Micklethwait’s award-winning hut-turned-distillery in Scotland did not have change-of-use consent, it has emergedIs a shed still a shed if it is also a piano bar, a distillery and a small farm shop? Highland council will have to decide after it emerged that the recent winner of Shed of the Year did not have planning permission to change from a disused […]Hannah Ellis-Petersen
- Labour condemns 'waste of money' energy scheme May 6, 2016Capacity market scheme to keep power stations on standby for peak demand could add £38 a year to each household billThe government has been accused of burying bad news during an election period after publishing a report (pdf) saying an emergency scheme to keep the lights on could add £38 a year to each household bill.The cash is going towards the cost of a “ […]Terry Macalister Energy editor
- How forest management helps lay the conditions for wildfires | Karl Mathiesen May 6, 2016As flames rip through Alberta, we look at how putting out small fires can help to fuel increasingly catastrophic events as our climate gets hotter and drierBy dousing small, regular fires, forest managers are creating the conditions for cataclysmic events, scientists have said.Fires in temperate forests are generally increasing in size and area. This is part […]Karl Mathiesen
- Great Barrier Reef: tourism operators urge Australian government to tackle climate change May 6, 2016Letter calls for rapid shift to renewable energy after natural wonder affected by worst coral bleaching event yet seenTourism operators have broken their silence about the worst crisis ever faced by the Great Barrier Reef, with more than 170 businesses and individuals pleading with the Australian government to take urgent action to tackle climate change and […]Michael Slezak
- 100 years of America’s national parks – in pictures May 6, 2016Photographers have been inspired by the majesty of America’s national parks since they were founded more than a century ago• Tim Dowling hits the road Continue reading...Guardian Staff
- Unconquerable majesty: how I fell for America's national parks May 6, 2016For more than 100 years, tourists and photographers have flocked to America’s national parks. Tim Dowling salutes the spectacular lakes, canyons – and rangers• America’s national parks in picturesSome years ago, my family and I paid a visit to the Rainbow Bridge national monument in Utah. It’s a natural stone arch, roughly the same height as the Statue of Li […]Tim Dowling
- Divest January 23, 2013Short title: Divest Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Sponsors of Islamists invest into HillaryAs I've been keeping watching the election race, I've been coming to understanding that Mrs. Clinton is the most admirable as a woman of character and a nimble politician.
- DOME MOSQUEThe legendary Scythian philosopher Anacharsis when asked, which the safest kind of vessel was, uttered, "That which is brought into dock".
- #ALERTA #ANTIFA: #BLUEHAND #SNUFF #PORN @slatukip @misscheeky666 @dubdanu @JLRFBONLINE neo-Nazi cult #BLUEHAND have begun tweeting racist snuff porn, including photos of beheaded children and babies, including, self-defeatingly, tagging in Twitter support in the self-defence of banned pub singer from Liverpool, "Les" Seavor, who threatened to violently assault female Twitter users. Posting such pictures is against UK law, so m […]
- #ALERTA #ANTIFA: #BLUEHAND #SNUFF #PORN @slatukip @dubdanu @misscheeky666 @JLRFB#BLUEHAND have begun tweeting racist snuff porn, including photos of beheaded children and babies, including, self-defeatingly, tagging in Twitter support in the self-defence of banned pub singer from Liverpool, "Les" Seavor, who threatened to violently assault female Twitter users. Posting such pictures is against UK law, so most of the #Bluehand […]
- Freedom for our comrade arrested on the 13A in BarcelonaA call to Solidarity with our comrade arrested last 13 of April in Barcelona. We must stop the extradition.
- Press release: Annual Lincshore scheme to reduce coastal flood risk starts today May 6, 2016The Environment Agency’s flagship Lincshore scheme sees sand dredged from the seabed and pumped onto the beach, replacing levels lost to the sea during the winter. This reduces the risk of waves reaching and overtopping the main sea defences, protecting them from damage and erosion. This year, the £5m project will begin on Friday, 6 May at Boygrift. Over the […]
- Press release: Residents and businesses invited to Selly Park North and Selly Oak flood drop-in events May 6, 2016The drop-ins are on Monday 9 May 2016, 4.30pm to 7.30pm at: Sainsbury’s Café 1 Chapel Lane Selly Oak Birmingham B29 6SJ and Tuesday 10 May 2016, 4.30pm to 7:30pm at: Midlands Art Centre (MAC) Cannon Hill Park Birmingham B12 9QH Environment Agency staff, along with organisations from the River Rea Catchment Partnership, will be on hand to provide information […]
- Press release: Keswick flood defence repairs begin May 6, 2016On Tuesday 3 May the Environment Agency started work to repair the seals on the glass panels along High Hill in Keswick after they were damaged during the December 2015 floods. The panels are designed to be strong enough to withstand the pressure of flood water as well as the impact force of large floating debris such as trees. These latest repairs follow th […]
- Press release: Water release at Wimbleball Reservoir to help young salmon May 4, 2016More than 300,000,000 litres of water will be released over 3 days to aid salmon smolt migration downstream. The Environment Agency asks South West Water, who manage the reservoir with Wessex Water, to release the water. The release is a mitigation measure resulting from the construction of Wimbleball Lake in the 1970s. It is particularly useful to do this i […]
- Press release: Environment Agency and Army test flood response May 4, 2016The exercise, which took place at Nesscliffe training ground near Shrewsbury, was based on a significant flood event where an electricity substation was at an immediate risk of flooding. Over 80 soldiers were involved in setting up approximately 150m of 1.25m high temporary flood barrier around the substation. They also practiced sandbagging and setting up h […]
- RT @boycottdenmark: Final de una caza de ballenas en las Islas Feroe! Los asesinos son gente sin remordimiento Pendejos! #BoycottDenmark ht… 20 hours ago
- RT @AmyRoseKathryn: Victory!!! France & Hawaii Ban All Ivory worldanimalnews.com/content.php?co… https://t.co/nxdQqtMJm9 21 hours ago
- RT @AmazingWildIife: In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on https://t.co/2jQaWsm4pq 21 hours ago
- RT @AnimalRRights: Top animal rights articles from last 48 hrs rightrelevance.com/search/article… 21 hours ago
- RT @LeagueACS: Relentless persecution continues! Red kite killed in West Yorkshire …ptorpersecutionscotland.wordpress.com/2016/05/05/red… via @RaptorPersScot https://t.co… 22 hours ago
- RT @WasteManagement: In 2015, we recycled and composted more than 8.4 million tons of paper and cardboard. #Recycling101 https://t.co/N5iwr… 23 hours ago
- RT @scotgp: #ScotlandCan be bolder. Tomorrow you have the chance to make it happen. Vote Green on the regional ballot. https://t.co/xiWRRlc… 1 day ago
- New chan guard I made for the chopper. https://t.co/aWp9tvzX46 2 days ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- 2016 Himalayan – Karakorum – Tibet Workshop May 7, 2016 – May 12, 2016 Aussois, France
- ESA Living Planet Symposium May 9, 2016 – May 13, 2016 Prague, Czech Republic
- Seismix 2016 May 15, 2016 – May 20, 2016 Macdonald Aviemore Resort, Aviemore, Scotland
- Japan Geoscience Union Meeting 2016 May 22, 2016 – May 26, 2016 Chiba, Japan
- Japan Geoscience Union Meeting 2016 May 22, 2016 – May 26, 2016 Chiba-city, Japan
- IFC Water Valuation and Risk in the Financial sector webinar May 12, 2016 at 3:00 pm – 3:00 pm , Online, United Kingdom
- Second session of the United Nations Environment Assembly May 23, 2016 at 12:00 am – May 27, 2016 at 12:00 am UNEP Headquarters, Nairobi, Kenya
- 50th Meeting of the GEF Council June 6, 2016 at 9:00 am – June 9, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Washington DC, United States
- Premiam - Post Spill Monitoring Conference June 22, 2016 at 12:00 am – 12:00 am SOAS, London, United Kingdom
- World Water Week 2016 August 27, 2016 at 9:00 am – September 2, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Stockholm, Sweden
- IUCN World Conservation Congress September 1, 2016 at 9:00 am – September 10, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Hawaii, United States