I Was Made Erect and Lone
- Investors controlling $13tn call on G20 leaders to ratify Paris climate agreement August 24, 2016A group of 130 institutions that control US$13tn of investments have called on G20 nations to ratify the Paris Agreement this year and accelerate investment in clean energy and forced disclosure of climate-related financial risk.
- Removal of trade barriers key to reaching global climate targets, says World Energy Council August 22, 2016As analysis suggests that the Paris Agreement could be ratified by the end of this year, a new report from the World Energy Council concludes that the energy objectives set at COP21 could be met if national Governments reduce barriers to trade and investment of environmental goods.
- Dissolvable batteries and the world's smallest hydro station: the best green innovations of the week August 19, 2016In a week that saw two landmark sustainability initiatives secured in the UK and the US, edie rounds up some of the latest and greatest green innovations that could also benefit from support by Government-backed funding schemes.
- Unilever refuses to reinstate IOI contracts until 'tangible progress' is shown August 16, 2016Consumer goods giant Unilever has announced that it will not reinstate the Malaysian palm oil supplier group IOI as a contractor until "tangible progress" is made evident of the groups desire to implement a new ethical sustainability action plan.
- Electric cars could drive the future - but not without old-fashioned vehicles August 16, 2016Electric cars could take over most driving necessities tomorrow, according to a group of scientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, but they'll need the help of internal combustion engines to do it.
- Mobile phone manufacturers urged to explore circular economy August 15, 2016Mobile phone manufacturers have been urged to implement a new business model that accounts for longer-lasting batteries and greater recyclability options as customers become disillusioned with the frequency of model upgrades.
- Obama's offshore drilling puts whales and dolphins in peril, groups warn August 24, 2016Environmental groups warn president’s climate legacy could be at risk over research showing areas cleared for oil and gas extraction contain marine lifeEnvironmental groups have turned on the Obama administration over offshore oil and gas extraction, warning it puts whales and dolphins in peril and risks undermining the president’s commitment to putting the […]Oliver Milman
- Air pollution threat hidden as research 'presumes people are at home': study August 24, 2016Previous investigations fail to reveal impact of ‘world’s largest human health threat’ because they do not account for people’s movement, researchers sayThe true impact of air pollution has been obscured by the failure to consider people’s exposure as they move around during the day, according to a new study that has mapped the hotspots of New York’s air pol […]Oliver Milman in New York
- Swimming with dolphins could end as 'self-gratifying selfies' pose threat August 23, 2016In Hawaii, large numbers of visitors disturb nocturnal spinner dolphins, which continue moving while they snoozeThe federal government is proposing a ban on swimming with dolphins in Hawaii – a move that may crush the dreams of many tourists, but will allow the marine mammals to finally get a good day’s sleep. The proposed rule would bar people from swimming […]Julia Carrie Wong
- Flint's tainted water may have led to rashes and hair loss, investigation finds August 23, 2016Results come from water sampled during time when Flint’s supply was taken from source later deemed to be corroding pipes and leaching leadA months-long government investigation bolsters claims of residents in Flint, Michigan, that the city’s lead-tainted water led to a breakout of rashes and hair loss for residents.Though the investigation stopped short of d […]Ryan Felton in Detroit
- Puerto Rico officials struggle to translate Zika virus fears into action August 23, 2016A quarter of the population may have the disease by the end of mosquito season, but efforts to control it have been thwarted by apathy and misinformationEvery time it rains in San Juan, Dr Brenda Rivera-García walks around her home emptying containers of standing water, probably wearing long sleeves, and almost certainly wearing mosquito repellent. Rivera-Ga […]Jessica Glenza in San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Sunrise to sunset: stunning timelapse video of America's national parks August 23, 2016In honor of the National Park Service’s centennial this week, the Guardian has compiled scenes from around the country. President Woodrow Wilson signed the act creating the National Park Service 100 years ago. From coast to coast, Hawaii to Maine, the beauty, nature and scope of US national parks are breathtaking Continue reading...Guardian Staff
- Divest January 23, 2013Short title: Divest Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- #ANTIFA: #TEDDYBEARS #PICNIC @slatukip @dubdanu @siegfails @misscheeky666 @JLRFBLESS THAN thirty brazen little crybabies escaped the clutches of mummy and daddy to parked their prams in Hyde Park for their annual Teddybears Trump Picnic, whilst policemen in riot gear stood guard for the nasty big bogeymen from the UAF, who had threatened to turn up and spoil the fun of the little Angels and cherubs of the EDL's Hitler Pre-School Di […]
- Ambulance Targeting Was Based On Turkish DisinformationIt was an American-made helicopter abusing the name of a First Nations tribe which penetrated Syrian territory coming from Golan late June, in bright daylight approached a nameless Czech-made ambulance car, and fired a B7EV type air-to-ground missile killing a patient plus other inmates en route to a civilian hospital. One of many, too many casualties in a f […]
- Ex-Royal Military Policeman accused of harassing Sussex Police Commissioner KatySussex Police and Crime Commissioner Katy Bourne is being harassed by an ex- Royal Military Policeman, while Sussex Police stand by allowing it to continue.
- What is Grybauskaite silent about?As early as the beginning of the first presidential term, at the meeting with members of Lithuanian National Security and Defence Committee, Dalia Grybauskaite took up the question of making public materials, stored in the archives and connected with the activities of KGB and other secret services, worked in Lithuania. "Lustration has to be finished by […]
- Abu Sayyaf Release Australian Alternative Therapist for GoodDespite a recent surge of violence on the archipelago, militants in the Philippine Islands this week set free an Australian hostage they had held in captivity for three years. The 38 year old Raph Ader who had been vacationing in a local community aside from the overcrowded beaches was abducted during a speed boat round trip in the area, of which his wife ha […]
- Press release: All clear for Derby Waste site August 24, 2016At its peak, the fly infestation caused by excessive waste on site that exceeded permit requirements, caused misery to local residents and even forced the closure of some shops. Before the effects started to be seen by the community, the Environment Agency had already issued a notice to remove specified waste and had prohibited any more waste. As this was no […]
- Press release: £36.5 million flood scheme begins in Hull August 23, 2016The Environment Agency is launching a major flood defence scheme in Hull after securing £36.5 million in Government funding. Work will begin this autumn on repairing flood defences that lie within a 7.5km stretch of the River Hull, helping to protect 63,000 properties in the city. Some 39 riverside locations along the river have been identified as having def […]
- Press release: Jail for Sussex waste boss who illegally stockpiled over 1,200 tonnes of wood August 23, 2016Mr Tom McCabe, aged 32, of Sea Lane in Worthing, West Sussex appeared at Lewes Crown Court on Monday 22 August and pleaded guilty to the offence. He was sentenced to 12 months imprisonment and ordered to pay £3,000 costs. The Court heard that in January 2012, Mr McCabe set up a waste company, Matrix Bio Logistics, specialising in the storage and processing o […]
- Press release: Skinningrove flood recovery work starts August 23, 2016Repair work in Skinningrove includes channel clearance and replacement and repairs to debris screens on the Kilton Beck, as well as improving access so they can be cleaned and maintained. The work started on Monday, August 22, and is expected to take around three weeks. It’s part of a £3million Environment Agency recovery programme to restore damaged flood d […]
- Press release: Significant step forward for Boston Barrier flood defence scheme August 23, 2016The Environment Agency will ask the Secretary of State to grant powers to construct and operate the Boston Barrier through a Transport and Works Act Order (TWAO) today. The Boston Barrier scheme is part of a phased approach to reduce the risk of tidal flooding to approximately 14,300 properties in Boston over the next 100 years. Starting today, copies of the […]
- SFA and loch lomond hanger17.wordpress.com/2016/08/22/sfa… https://t.co/VzxH8GhF7X 2 days ago
- RT @BGPuk: Foster home needed urgently for the beautiful Joey - Can you help? (Midlands Area) #greyhounds #rescue #dogs #foster https://t.c… 1 week ago
- @Protect_Wldlife @Wildlife_Focus almost definitely 1 week ago
- RT @ThePetReader: We share this astounding planet...We do NOT own it🐾🐾#TuesdayMotivation #animallover #LifeisBeautiful #thepetreader https:… 2 weeks ago
- RT @AmyRoseKathryn: Please don't allow a rabbit battery farm to open in Gnosall, Staffordshire! change.org/p/stafford-bor… https://t.co/Hq15cL… 2 weeks ago
- A750 slant streetfightered. https://t.co/tjIomwNGmL 2 weeks ago
- Over the past few weeks, the last of the UK’s big supermarkets have announced commitments to stop selling whole shell eggs from caged hens. 3 weeks ago
- RT @nascar_lens: Top 10 Most Awesome Customized Motor-Trikes goo.gl/KZUi1o https://t.co/zxqApBPkyt 1 month ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- 15th Castle Meeting 2016 August 21, 2016 – August 27, 2016 Dinant, Belgium
- Rock Deformation Gordon Research Conference August 21, 2016 – August 26, 2016 Andover, NH, USA
- Summer school “Volcanism, Plate Tectonics, Hydrothermal Vents and Life” August 23, 2016 – September 1, 2016 Angra do Heroismo, Azores, Portugal
- 35th International Geological Congress August 27, 2016 – September 4, 2016 Cape Town, South Africa
- 15th International Swiss Climate Summer School August 28, 2016 – September 2, 2016 Grindelwald, Switzerland
No upcoming events