I Was Made Erect and Lone
- Leading by design: 7 of the world's most eye-catching green building innovations September 30, 2016Ahead of edie's special 'green buildings month' of editorial content, we round up the latest green innovations and low-carbon technologies being deployed on buildings by companies across the world in an effort to drive energy efficiency and engage with employees on sustainability.
- Plastic Soup Foundation: UK microbeads ban first step to implementing plastic circular economy September 29, 2016EXCLUSIVE: The UK Government's decision to introduce a national ban on microbeads can act as an "important step" that mobilises countries to look beyond microbeads in the ocean and focus on creating a plastic circular economy "without leakage".
- Cyber-attacks are 'core business risks' to energy systems, says World Energy Council September 29, 2016An uptake in digitisation through devices such as smart metres may be improving energy management, but it is also opening new avenues for cyber-attacks that could damage communities and the economy as threats cross "from the cyber realm to the physical world".
- Next President unlikely to meet US emissions targets set in Paris September 27, 2016As Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton placed climate change in the spotlight during Monday night's (26 September) presidential debate with Republican nominee Donald Trump, new research has suggested that the US looks set to miss its 2025 emissions reduction pledge.
- Is 'imperfect' ETS a better option for aviation emissions than a voluntary ICAO draft? September 26, 2016As nations meet today (26 September) to edge a global aviation deal closer, new analysis has suggested that the European Union's Emissions Trading System (EU ETS) is still "superior" to the drafted proposal offered by the United Nation's International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).
- 'Rapid' low-carbon transition could damage economic stability, warns Bank of England September 26, 2016The transition to a low-carbon economy is filled with potential paradoxes that could lead to either the current generation having no "direct incentive" to drive change, or actually transitioning too quickly to the point where financial stability would be damaged.
- United Nations close to landmark deal to curb airplane emissions September 30, 20162,000 government officials gathered in Montreal to adopt the first ever international mechanism to reduce carbon dioxide emissions from aviationA UN negotiation is inching towards a landmark deal to curb emissions from airplanes, although environmental groups have warned that the plan will not go far enough to help slow climate change. The International Civi […]Oliver Milman in New York
- Lead contamination in LA housing project only one part of pollution puzzle September 30, 2016Jordan Downs residents fear wider impact of planned demolition in former industrial site as tests conducted in area’s schools also found high levels of leadIt’s a sunny Saturday morning in South Los Angeles, but Nuvia Perez is keeping her three boys inside. “They don’t go out to play,” said Perez, 37, whose front door faces a 21-acre former industrial site i […]Daniel Ross in Los Angeles
- 'Trump's promises are empty': energy experts lay waste to proposals September 29, 2016From making coal great again to ‘cancelling’ the Paris accord, industry analysts say his ideas are farfetched and his talk of climate change as a ‘hoax’ is dangerousDonald Trump’s energy agenda – which includes pledges of “complete energy independence”, making coal great again and ditching the Paris climate deal – is drawing bipartisan fire from industry ana […]Peter Stone in Washington
- Obama's climate change legacy at stake as Clean Power Plan has its day in court September 28, 2016Seven hours of legal argument on states’ right to allow carbon pollution may determine the fate of the centerpiece of US efforts to limit climate changeThe future of the US’s centerpiece plan to tackle climate change hangs in the balance following nearly seven hours of legal argument over whether it tramples upon the right of states to allow carbon pollution […]Oliver Milman in New York
- US drives rainforest destruction by importing Amazon oil, study finds September 28, 2016The report found that California, despite its green reputation, is refining the majority of crude oil – with one facility accounting for 24% of the US total US imports of crude oil from the Amazon are driving the destruction of some of the rainforest ecosystem’s most pristine areas and releasing copious amounts of greenhouse gases, according to a new report. […]Oliver Milman
- New York City accelerates emissions efforts in face of daunting sea level rise September 28, 2016City to expand renewable energy generation, improve efficiency of buildings, transition to electric vehicles and improve waste management to cut emissionsNew York City has set out a plan to quicken its pace of decarbonization in order to meet its emissions reduction target, as the metropolis prepares for a daunting sea level rise due to climate change.The pr […]Oliver Milman
- Divest January 23, 2013Short title: Divest Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- #ANTIFA: #TEDDYBEARS #PICNIC @slatukip @dubdanu @siegfails @misscheeky666 @JLRFBLESS THAN thirty brazen little crybabies escaped the clutches of mummy and daddy to parked their prams in Hyde Park for their annual Teddybears Trump Picnic, whilst policemen in riot gear stood guard for the nasty big bogeymen from the UAF, who had threatened to turn up and spoil the fun of the little Angels and cherubs of the EDL's Hitler Pre-School Di […]
- Ambulance Targeting Was Based On Turkish DisinformationIt was an American-made helicopter abusing the name of a First Nations tribe which penetrated Syrian territory coming from Golan late June, in bright daylight approached a nameless Czech-made ambulance car, and fired a B7EV type air-to-ground missile killing a patient plus other inmates en route to a civilian hospital. One of many, too many casualties in a f […]
- Ex-Royal Military Policeman accused of harassing Sussex Police Commissioner KatySussex Police and Crime Commissioner Katy Bourne is being harassed by an ex- Royal Military Policeman, while Sussex Police stand by allowing it to continue.
- What is Grybauskaite silent about?As early as the beginning of the first presidential term, at the meeting with members of Lithuanian National Security and Defence Committee, Dalia Grybauskaite took up the question of making public materials, stored in the archives and connected with the activities of KGB and other secret services, worked in Lithuania. "Lustration has to be finished by […]
- Abu Sayyaf Release Australian Alternative Therapist for GoodDespite a recent surge of violence on the archipelago, militants in the Philippine Islands this week set free an Australian hostage they had held in captivity for three years. The 38 year old Raph Ader who had been vacationing in a local community aside from the overcrowded beaches was abducted during a speed boat round trip in the area, of which his wife ha […]
- Press release: Negligent Averies brothers plead guilty September 30, 2016In a case brought by the Environment Agency, Company Directors Lee and David Averies have pleaded guilty today (Friday 30 September) at Swindon Crown Court to breaching environmental regulations at their waste sites, Swindon Skips Ltd (SSL) at Brindley Close, Cheney Manor, and Averies Recycling Swindon Ltd (ARSL) at Marshgate in Swindon, Wiltshire. In additi […]
- Press release: Illegal angler catches £487 penalty September 30, 2016He was fined £330 for fishing without a rod licence and for fishing during freshwater close season, with costs of £127 and a victim surcharge of £30. Magistrates heard that on the 9 May 2016, an Environment Agency enforcement officer found Mr Sims fishing on the River Dove. A valid rod licence is required to fish all waters in England. Mr Sims was not able t […]
- Press release: Flood risk expert retires after 40 years September 29, 2016Steve Hayman has worked for the Environment Agency (and its predecessor organisations) for 40 years, covering a range of roles including managing river and sea defence projects, mainly across Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex. Steve, a chartered civil engineer, who is currently senior coastal advisor, said: I feel very fortunate that I was entrusted with a range of […]
- Press release: Fishing cheats land big fines in court September 28, 2016The men were fined for fishing without a rod licence and taking fish without permission, in contravention of national byelaws and schedule 1 of the Theft Act, at a trout fishery in Ware, Hertfordshire. Leonidas Kupcikovas, Ilford IG6 and Slavkas Kupcikovas, London E7, were caught by the police fishing at night and were each fined £330 (plus £127 costs and £3 […]
- News story: Public invited to meet the regulators of oil and gas industry September 28, 2016The Environment Agency, Health and Safety Executive, Oil and Gas Authority and Public Health England staff are hosting an informal information session on 5 October to explain how they regulate the oil and gas industry to protect people and the environment. Everyone is welcome to come along and meet the regulators and agencies between 2.00pm – 7.00pm on Wedne […]
- RT @Protect_Wldlife: Confessions Of A #Rhino Poacher: I Have No Choice But To De-Horn Rhinos! protectallwildlifeblog.wordpress.com/confessions-of… #SaveRhinos #RhinoHor… 6 days ago
- RT @Misokeiko: 🎉🐬💦Another unsuccessful attempt to export Solomons dolphins radionz.co.nz/international/… https://t.co/bsDzjW8qec 1 week ago
- RT @morgankwyatt: Why is the grasshopper lucky? #spiritanimal #nature #spirituality bit.ly/2cNsu0o https://t.co/sfRKD57h3d 1 week ago
- RT @PETAUK: Fantastic news! 🐺🐹🐰 The Kooples will stop selling real fur! petauk.org/kooplesvictory https://t.co/WnOuBjAJWt 1 week ago
- RT @Protect_Wldlife: Pls RT: Do something REALLY good this week ~ invite a new best friend into your home! #AdoptDontShop ~ @RickyGervais h… 1 week ago
- RT @AwakenedDMT: The beauty of nature pt.10 https://t.co/s6syynRc0J 1 week ago
- RT @AmyRoseKathryn: Success! It’s Now a Felony to Abuse Companion Animals in Ohio care2.com/causes/success… https://t.co/smerD1l2pu 1 week ago
- RT @pascalguyon: dehydrated golden berries ! very tasty ! https://t.co/3KLTxg5YBd 1 week ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- The 6th International Symposium on Earth Hazard and Disaster Mitigation October 11, 2016 – October 12, 2016 Bandung, Indonesia
- Lab Connections - policy labs in Europe, for Europe October 17, 2016 – October 18, 2016 Brussels
- GEOMOD2016 October 17, 2016 – October 21, 2016 Montpellier
- Italian Society for Climate Sciences – IV Annual Conference "Climate challenges and solutions under the 2°C target" October 19, 2016 – October 20, 2016 Cagliari, Italy
- Convective and volcanic clouds detection, monitoring and modeling October 19, 2016 – October 28, 2016 Tarquinia, Italy
No upcoming events