Can you design a phone that’ll be used longer? A refrigerator that discourages food waste? Play the sustainability card game
Originally posted on TED Blog:
Leyla Acaroglu aims to make people think about how the choices they make on a daily basis affect the environment. And she aims to make thinking about this fun. In today’s TED Talk, Acaroglu turns her attention to four bits of “environmental folklore,” like the idea that it’s more environmentally sound to opt for the paper bag over the plastic one. [ted_talkteaser id=1926]By engaging people’s sense of play, Acaroglu and her team at the design consultancy Eco Innovators aim to get individuals and companies looking at the full life cycle of the products in order to make the kind of savvy decisions that can actually effect change.
This week, Eco Innovators held an “E-Waste Autopsy” at the National Gallery of Victoria in Australia, where passerbys dissected keyboards and computer mice…
View original 270 more words
- US set to pledge emissions cuts of up to 28% ahead of global climate treaty March 31, 2015The US will pledge to cut carbon pollution by up to 28%, doubling the pace of current emissions cuts, under a global agreement on climate change to be finalised in Paris at the end of the year.
- Shell cynically blocking action on climate change, says ex-diplomat March 30, 2015Shell and its oil and gas peers are narcissistic, paranoid and psychopathic, and engaged in a cynical attempt to block action on global warming, according to the UK's former climate change envoy.
- H&M strives to close the loop on clothing fibres March 27, 2015Swedish fashion giant H&M has released its annual report for 2014, revealing increased renewable energy use, more waste-water recycling and a growing commitment to the circular economy.
- Governments in the dark over true level of 'green job' creation March 26, 2015Claims that green policies are creating or destroying jobs are unsubstantiated, as they cannot yet evaluate the true impact due to a lack of data and poor methods.
- Sustainable investors beating market expectations, claims Morgan Stanley March 26, 2015Investment funds that use sustainability metrics to judge their stocks are likely to outperform those that don't, according to a new study by Wall Street firm Morgan Stanley.
- Corporate green bonds to surpass $30bn in 2015, says S&P March 24, 2015A record $30bn of 'green bonds' could be issued by private companies this year, helping to finance a growing number of environmental and sustainability projects around the world.
- Desmond Tutu intervenes over King's College London's refusal to divest March 31, 2015Archbishop Tutu in talks with administration at his former university – where vice principal dealing with fossil fuel campaigners spent 30 years working for oil giant BPArchbishop Desmond Tutu, one of King’s College London’s (KCL) most revered former students, has intervened after the university rejected a demand from 1,400 staff and students to sell off its […]Damian Carrington
- Justice still being sought for murders of Peruvian forest campaigners March 31, 2015Six months on, the killing of four indigenous campaigners has yet to result in an end to illegal logging around the vilage of Alto Tamaya-Saweto“I had hoped to see his body, but I haven’t been able to yet. I haven’t even been able to see his bones. Everything was destroyed by animals.”That’s Diana Rios Rengifo speaking about her father, Jorge Rios Perez, an […]David Hill
- US set to pledge emissions cuts of up to 28% ahead of global climate treaty March 31, 2015US expected to confirm planned greenhouse gas emissions cuts ahead of today’s deadline for nations to submit proposals towards forming a global climate change agreement at talks in Paris in DecemberThe US will pledge to cut carbon pollution by up to 28%, doubling the pace of current emissions cuts, under a global agreement on climate change to be finalised i […]Fiona Harvey, environment correspondent and Suzanne Goldenberg
- Naomi Klein and Bill McKibben call on Paris to divest in Le Monde letter March 31, 2015The environmental activists have written an open letter to the Mayor of Paris, asking her to make it the first capital in the world to divest from fossil fuels Naomi Klein, author of This Changes Everything, and environmental activist Bill McKibben have written a joint letter in Le Monde to Anne Hidalgo, the mayor of Paris, asking her to pull the city’s inve […]Emma Howard
- Limiting climate change could have huge economic benefits, study finds March 30, 2015Stopping global warming at two degrees would create nearly half a million jobs in Europe and save over a million lives in China, analysis of emissions pledges saysMajor economies would boost their prosperity, employment levels and health prospects if they took actions that limited global warming to 2c, according to the first analysis of emissions pledges mad […]Arthur Neslen in Brussels
- Shell cynically blocking action on climate change, says ex-diplomat March 30, 2015John Ashton accuses oil company and others of being ‘narcissistic, paranoid and psychopathic’ and being unable to contemplate low-carbon futureShell and its oil and gas peers are narcissistic, paranoid and psychopathic, and engaged in a cynical attempt to block action on global warming, according to the UK’s former climate change envoy. Related: Open letter […]Guardian Staff
- Finance January 23, 2013Short title: Finance Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Trouble on the terracesVideo from an impartial attendee https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RkC469x8Ns&feature=youtu.be On Saturday 28th of March 2015 an altercation unfolded during a home match of Clapton FC in East London. Clapton FC fans are known for their antifascist politics. The altercation took place between two sets of Clapton fans: on the one side some of the founders […]
- 10 Reasons Not to Play Israeli FootballThe latest round of European Championship qualifiers see Wales and Belgium playing Israel and the launch of a new campaign: Fair Play for Palestine – Don’t Play Israeli Apartheid, calling for action against Israel for its sabotage of Palestinian football under the occupation and siege of Gaza. There will be protests at FIFA’s congress in Zurich May 28-29 and […]
- Degrowth is real anti-capitalism“Economic growth” has replaced “progress” as the term with which industrial capitalism likes to justify its life-destroying rampage.
- Danny Schechter 1942-2015 - an appreciation.Danny Schechter, surely one of the greatest, if not the greatest, American journalist of the twentieth century sadly passed away on Thursday 19th March 2015 after a brave battle with cancer. His prolific output, commitment to truth, justice and humanity should be a beacon of light to young journalists everywhere. Here is my tribute to the News Dissector with […]
- New anti-establishment party on the rise in the UKHow millions who have turned off the political system have the chance to finally vote in the 2015 May general elections thanks to The Above and Beyond Party
- Press release: Nottinghamshire landfill site shut down after enforcement action March 30, 2015Enforcement action led to a formal caution and a legal agreement resulting in the closure of a landfill site in Nottinghamshire, the Environment Agency announced today (27 March). In June 2013 the Environment Agency found that FCC Recycling (UK) Limited (also trading as FCC Environment), who operated the Dorket Head Landfill site in Arnold Nottinghamshire, h […]
- Press release: Lincoln man guilty of dumping waste near Leicestershire river March 30, 2015On 26 March 2015, Frank Nicklinson, 39, from Lincoln pleaded guilty at Leicester Magistrates Court to two offences relating to the illegal transportation and dumping of controlled waste on land at Lounge Colliery, Ashby Road, Ashby de la Zouch on 5 August 2014. Mr Nicklinson received a fine of £660, was ordered to pay costs of £1700 and a victim surcharge of […]
- Press release: Help plan the future and protect our environment - join the flood and coastal committee March 27, 2015This is an exciting opportunity for someone to support the Environment Agency and local authorities to create partnerships that fund and deliver projects for communities at risk. The RFCC plays a critical role in deciding local priorities for flood and coastal erosion risk management. One of the 3 new members will ideally be a conservation representative who […]
- Press release: Multi-agency clamp down on illegal scrap metal operators in Boston March 27, 2015The Environment Agency worked with Boston Borough Council, Lincolnshire County Council and Lincolnshire Police on 26 March to put a stop to illegal activity - and keep a level playing field for legitimate businesses to operate in the waste vehicle dismantling sector. Officers visited illegal vehicle dismantlers and unlicensed scrap metal dealers and carriers […]
- Press release: Waste company owner given suspended prison sentence for waste tyre offences March 25, 2015Andrew Mayhew pleaded guilty to 5 offences at Plymouth Crown Court of running a waste operation without the necessary permits, which involved dumping large numbers of tyres at several different sites including Hill Barton Business Park, Exeter; Moor Barton Farm in Tiverton, as well as Dawlish, North Tawton, and Hayedown industrial estate, Tavistock. At the h […]
- RT @Animals1st: The Cove: Sign the Petition to Help Save Japan's Dolphins >>> takeaction.takepart.com/actions/cove-h… http://t.co/J3kUDK0h3y 21 hours ago
- RT @Chewster2e: Woman sues dog walker who lost pit bull after 'flipping out' nyp.st/1BklDdq via @nypost http://t.co/bAvVbQi7OL 6 days ago
- RT @BosnianRescue: @occupyforanimal @ESDAW_Europe @BalkanDogs #Sarajevo: Volunteers Give Hope to Forgotten #Dogs journalistsforanimals.com/sarajevo-volun… htt… 6 days ago
- RT @Freja_Petersen: Sign/RT: Man Buys Cats From Craigslist, Mistreats Them & Leaves The Bodies In His Backyard ... petitionhub.org/Man-Buys-Cats-… h… 6 days ago
- RT @MinaANDMaya: RT ASAP! If re-elected @Conservatives will repeat INEFFECTIVE & INHUMANE #UK cull @Network4Animals #stopthebadgercull http… 6 days ago
- RT @Animal_Place: #Monterey County Folks: Share and help #sheep saved from horrific cruelty find a new home! Email Marji Beach at marji@ani… 1 week ago
- RT @AnimalRRights: Top animal rights Twitter influencers one should follow rightrelevance.com/?q=tab_type%3D… 1 week ago
- Circuses as Conservationist Organizations? (Written for The Ecotone Exchange) wp.me/pPEwS-2oJ 2 weeks ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
- How to fight the tax cheats April 1, 2015 at 6:30 pm Friends Meeting House, 43 St Giles, Oxford, OX1 3LW.
- Britain in the World. Q&A with Parliamentary Candidates April 23, 2015 at 6:00 pm Oxford Town Hall, St Aldates, Central Oxford OX1 1BX
Climate Change Events
- Microstructural evolution during HT deformation - MicroDIce Final conference March 30, 2015 – April 2, 2015 Montpellier, France
- Integrated Hydrosystem Modelling Conference 2015 April 7, 2015 – April 11, 2015 Tuebingen, Germany
- From Hooke to Helioseismology: The UK’s contribution to seismolo gy – past, present and future April 9, 2015 – April 11, 2015 Leicester, England
- Conference on Complex Networks and Climate Variability April 11, 2015 – April 13, 2015 Vienna, Austria
- EGU General Assembly 2015 April 12, 2015 – April 18, 2015 Vienna, Austria
- Spring Meeting - World Bank Group and International Monetary Fund April 17, 2015 at 8:00 am – April 19, 2015 at 4:00 pm , Washington D.C, United States
- IAIA15: Impact Assessment in the Digital Era April 20, 2015 at 8:15 am – April 23, 2015 at 4:00 pm Firenze Fiera Congress & Exhibition Center , Florence, Italy
- International Chemical and Oil Pollution Conference and Exhibition April 21, 2015 at 7:30 am – April 24, 2015 at 5:30 pm , , Singapore
- Global Water Summit: The Water Value Revolution April 26, 2015 at 11:00 pm – 11:00 pm , Athens, Greece
- IFC Sustainability Exchange May 20, 2015 at 8:00 am – May 21, 2015 at 4:00 pm , Washington, United States
- IWRA World Water Congress XV May 24, 2015 at 11:00 pm – May 28, 2015 at 11:00 pm , Edinburgh, United Kingdom