Can you design a phone that’ll be used longer? A refrigerator that discourages food waste? Play the sustainability card game
Originally posted on TED Blog:
Leyla Acaroglu aims to make people think about how the choices they make on a daily basis affect the environment. And she aims to make thinking about this fun. In today’s TED Talk, Acaroglu turns her attention to four bits of “environmental folklore,” like the idea that it’s more environmentally sound to opt for the paper bag over the plastic one. [ted_talkteaser id=1926]By engaging people’s sense of play, Acaroglu and her team at the design consultancy Eco Innovators aim to get individuals and companies looking at the full life cycle of the products in order to make the kind of savvy decisions that can actually effect change.
This week, Eco Innovators held an “E-Waste Autopsy” at the National Gallery of Victoria in Australia, where passerbys dissected keyboards and computer mice…
View original 270 more words
- Millions of barrels of oil extraction halted in Canada May 29, 2015At least 39 tar sands oil extraction projects have been frozen in Canada, as falling oil prices and divestment campaigns squeeze profits, according to campaign group Oil Change International.
- Santander unveils green investment firm May 28, 2015Spanish bank Santander has established a $2bn renewables investment firm in partnership with two of Canada's largest pension funds
- Energy industry calls for new emissions targets to aid low-carbon growth May 27, 2015World governments must sign a clear new agreement on greenhouse gas emissions at a crunch conference in Paris this December, leaders of the world's energy industry have urged.
- World leaders missed chance to tackle climate change, says economist May 26, 2015World leaders missed the perfect opportunity to tackle climate change during the global economic crisis, according to the influential economist and academic Lord Stern.
- Thirty two energy firms account for a third of global emissions May 21, 2015Thirty two of the world's largest energy firms account for around a third of all man-made emissions when the burning of the fuel they produce is taken into account.
- UK ranks 6th in new environmental democracy index May 21, 2015The UK has been ranked sixth in a new index from the World Resources Institute (WRI) which tracks how 70 countries around the world are progressing on 'environmental democracy'
- Should the Great Barrier Reef be listed as 'in danger' by Unesco? May 29, 2015The draft decision against listing the natural wonder as ‘in danger’ is good news for Australia but is it the best outcome for the reef’s conservation?The draft decision not to place the Great Barrier Reef on Unesco’s ‘in danger’ list is a coup for Australia. The government has lobbied intensely to avoid the ignominy of a ‘world heritage in danger’ listing t […]Karl Mathiesen and James Parsons
- France defends 'imperfect' fossil fuel sponsors for Paris climate summit May 29, 2015French climate official says sponsorship of UN climate conference by EDF, Air France, and other big carbon emitters was needed for financial reasonsFossil fuel firms and big carbon emitters sponsoring the Paris climate summit in December are “a part of the problem” that delegates will address, but their patronage was unavoidable for financial reasons, senior […]Arthur Neslen
- It's time to wean ourselves off the fairytale version of farming May 29, 2015Children’s tales bear no resemblance to the cruelty of most modern farms, yet this image enables us to turn a blind eye to animal welfare and is exploited by the industry for profit – as Kerrygold’s recent Guardian advertorial showsThe way that meat, eggs and milk are produced is surrounded by one of our great silences, in which most people collaborate. We d […]George Monbiot
- China agrees to phase out its ivory industry to combat elephant poaching May 29, 2015Conservationists hail China’s first ever commitment to phase out legal, domestic manufacture and sale of ivory products as a victory in the fight to save Africa’s elephants China has committed to phasing out the domestic manufacture and sale of ivory products for the first time. Conservation groups said the announcement was “the single greatest measure” in t […]Karl Mathiesen
- The biggest story in the world podcast March 16, 2015The Guardian invites you behind the scenes as we embark on a global climate change campaign Continue reading...Narrated by Aleks Krotoski and produced by Francesca Panetta , Jason Phipps, Alannah Chance, Nabeelah Shabbir, Lindsay Poulton, Feilding Cage, with original music by Pascal Wyse
- The week in wildlife – in pictures May 29, 2015A lion escapes a herd of angry buffalo, a bear cub receives a lesson in rock climbing and a charging elephant feature in this week’s pick of images from the natural world Continue reading...Guardian Staff
- Finance January 23, 2013Short title: Finance Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- UG#708 - Facing The Failing Culture of Control - 1 (Drugs, Addiction and Health)We look at a culture obsessed with control, focusing this episode on the level of the individual. Charles Eisenstein briefly contrasts the old story of isolated individuals in competition with the emerging story of ourselves as parts of a larger self. Then we hear Tomi Gomory, co-author of "Mad Science: Psychiatric Coercion, Diagnosis, and Drugs" o […]
- GARY DAVIS UKIP'S WORST EVER HYPOCRITE @slatukip @edlnews @slatfascists @slatedlGary Davis has been exposed as UKIP's worst ever hypocrite. A loather of Muslims and immigration, and a follower of bluehand, he decides to leave Britain and immigrate to a Muslim country - Indonesia, whilst bleating on all day and all night about stopping Muslims from immigrating to the UK.
- 2nd International Antifascist Martial Arts TournamentAiming to coordinate our actions against fascism there will be fights in boxing, kick boxing, mma and other styles as well as seminars about self-defense and street fighting, concerts and updates/discussions about the anti-fascist movement in each place.
- WHAT NOW FOR TOMMY TIT? @edlnews @slatedl @slatfascists @misscheeky666 @slatukipSince leaving the ranks of the EDL where he had arose to notoriety by assuming the identity of a real dead Luton football hooligan, stealing the MIG name for a new brand of crappy pseudo-hooligan gear, Stephen Yaxley Lennon has become an internet-only racist, logging onto facebook and twitter to racially abuse brown people outside of the media glare he crave […]
- Printable version of The AcornA printable (and abridged) version of the latest Acorn info bulletin is available on the Winter Oak website.
- Press release: Rod licence checks in Bank Holiday crackdown in the North East May 28, 2015Officers from the Environment Agency made more than 300 rod licence checks during a bank holiday blitz on anglers fishing illegally in the north east of England. A total of 316 licences were checked at 49 locations from the rivers Tees to the Coquet, with 12 people reported for angling offences. Anglers were reminded that fishing for coarse fish in rivers is […]
- Press release: Casting the net on illegal fishing in Yorkshire May 27, 2015Anglers in Yorkshire are being reminded to ensure they abide by national and local byelaws as enforcement officers crack down on illegal fishing. During the Bank Holiday weekend, from 23 to 25 May, Environment Agency fisheries enforcement officers checked 473 anglers at 29 separate locations across Yorkshire using local knowledge and intelligence to catch of […]
- Press release: Slippery Gowt flood defence work completed May 27, 2015Improvements to a Boston Haven flood defence damaged during the December 2013 tidal surge are now finished, meaning the banks at Slippery Gowt are stronger than ever before. The improved defence will help reduce the risk of flooding to more than 500 homes and businesses including the Haven Business Park. Operations Manager Leigh Edlin said: The repairs and i […]
- Press release: Otter found dead in illegal trap on Selby Canal May 26, 2015An otter has drowned after getting caught up in an illegal crayfish trap by the Selby Canal. The trap was found on an angling platform at a fishing peg on the canal just outside Selby in North Yorkshire. It was discovered by a member of the public who reported the find to the police and the Environment Agency. It is believed that the illegal net was being us […]
- Press release: Boston residents urged to sign up for flood warnings as warn and inform work shortlisted for award May 26, 2015The Agency has been nominated for a national award for its work to warn and inform Boston residents about the tidal surge and improve community resilience to flooding – but it is urging more people to sign up to reduce the impact of flooding on their homes, businesses, personal belongings and families. The 2013 tidal surge prompted people in Boston to take a […]
- Sky was going on this morning about an increase in people eating goat. What nonsense. Corporate propaganda. 4 days ago
- How to Stop Wasting Food – and Start Saving Money hanger17.wordpress.com/2015/05/22/how… 1 week ago
- march against monsanto! hanger17.wordpress.com/2015/05/22/mar… 1 week ago
- MAJOR LAWSUIT TARGETS MONSANTO FOR SELLING CANCER-LINKED HERBICIDE hanger17.wordpress.com/2015/05/22/maj… 1 week ago
- Protesters Block Entrance To Monsanto’s Woodland Facility hanger17.wordpress.com/2015/05/22/pro… 1 week ago
- A List of Ways You Can Fight PETA’s Killing Machine wp.me/pPEwS-2pO 1 week ago
- HARVEY NICHOLS: HERE’S THE REST OF THAT FUR COAT wp.me/pPEwS-2pL 1 week ago
- My Frustration with Animal Rights’ Organizations wp.me/pPEwS-2pK 1 week ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
- Radical Librarians Collective Meeting June 2, 2015 at 6:30 pm OARC, East Oxford Community Centre
- Palestine Unlocked A Celebration of Palestinian Life and Culture. June 4, 2015 at 5:00 pm – June 21, 2015 at 4:00 pm Venues throughout Oxford
Climate Change Events
- C-MORE summer course May 26, 2015 – June 27, 2015 Honolulu, USA
- Workshop on Sensitivity Analysis and Data Assimilation in Meteorol ogy and Oceanography June 1, 2015 – June 6, 2015 Roanoke, West Virginia, USA
- 77th EAGE Conference & Exhibition 2015 June 1, 2015 – June 5, 2015 Madrid, Spain
- 2nd International Conference on Earth and Environmental Sciences June 1, 2015 – June 5, 2015 Athens, Greece
- ICOS-NEON Carbon training workshop 2015 June 2, 2015 – June 13, 2015 Observatoire de Haute-Provence, France
- UNFCCC ADP 2-9 June 1, 2015 at 12:00 am – June 11, 2015 at 12:00 am , Bonn, Germany
- Proteus Partnership Annual General Meeting June 9, 2015 at 9:00 am – June 10, 2015 at 5:00 pm , London, United Kingdom
- CSBI meeting June 11, 2015 at 9:00 am – June 12, 2015 at 5:00 pm , London, United Kingdom
- 8th International Conference on Sustainable Water Resources Management June 15, 2015 at 9:00 am – June 17, 2015 at 5:00 pm , A Coruña, Spain
- CCWG meeting 2 - virtual June 16, 2015 at 3:00 pm – June 17, 2015 at 5:00 pm Conference call, , United Kingdom
- Global Compact +15: Business as a Force for Good June 23, 2015 at 8:00 am – June 25, 2015 at 5:00 pm , New York, United States