Can you design a phone that’ll be used longer? A refrigerator that discourages food waste? Play the sustainability card game
Leyla Acaroglu aims to make people think about how the choices they make on a daily basis affect the environment. And she aims to make thinking about this fun. In today’s TED Talk, Acaroglu turns her attention to four bits of “environmental folklore,” like the idea that it’s more environmentally sound to opt for the paper bag over the plastic one. [ted_talkteaser id=1926]By engaging people’s sense of play, Acaroglu and her team at the design consultancy Eco Innovators aim to get individuals and companies looking at the full life cycle of the products in order to make the kind of savvy decisions that can actually effect change.
This week, Eco Innovators held an “E-Waste Autopsy” at the National Gallery of Victoria in Australia, where passerbys dissected keyboards and computer mice…
View original post 270 more words
- World's largest marine park created in Ross Sea in Antarctica in landmark deal October 28, 2016A landmark international agreement to create the world's largest marine park in the Southern Ocean has been brokered in Australia, after five years of compromises and failed negotiations.
- Spinning solar panels and water-harvesting sails: The best green innovations of the week October 27, 2016In a week where climate mitigation subsided in favour of economic growth, edie rounds up some of the latest and greatest green innovations that could strengthen and already solid business case for low-carbon technology.
- Timberland continues collaborative circular economy drive October 27, 2016Outdoor clothing company Timberland is ramping up its circular economy efforts as a number of innovative closed-loop models for footwear now approach the next stages of development.
- The Magnificent Seven: Food and beverage giants commit to water stewardship challenge October 27, 2016Sustainability advocacy group Ceres has tasked seven global food and beverage companies, including Diageo, General Mills, Kellogg and PepsiCo, to participate in a collaborative challenge aimed at strengthening sourcing and water stewardship action plans.
- AkzoNobel issues shipping industry's record number of carbon credits October 27, 2016Italian Shipping company Grimaldi Group has received the largest ever issuance from AkzoNobel's carbon credits scheme, which has seen 14 vessels presented with 109,617 carbon credits.
- Volkswagen pumps €20m into Sustainability Council and low-carbon aspirations October 26, 2016Volkswagen has this week continued its brand rebuilding process in the wake of dieselgate, by announcing a new €20m fund to finance projects related to lowering carbon emissions a meeting emissions regulations post-2025.
- North Dakota pipeline: protesters pushed back after mass arrests, pepper spray – as it happened October 28, 2016Police made 117 arrests and used pepper spray on activists, who have been standing their ground and refusing to back down over the disputed oil pipelineSupport our fearless, independent journalism with a contribution or by becoming a member 3.01am BST Things are calming down at the Dakota Access Pipeline protest near Cannon Ball, North Dakota, as night falls […]Sam Levin and Nicky Woolf
- North Dakota pipeline protesters pushed back from site after 141 arrested October 28, 2016Deploying pepper spray and armored vehicles marked beginning of new phase to thwart demonstrations to prevent construction of the controversial oil pipelineSupport the Guardian’s independent journalism by making a contribution or becoming a memberLaw enforcement officials arrested 141 people in North Dakota after police surrounded protesters, deploying peppe […]Sam Levin and Nicky Woolf
- Police move in on North Dakota pipeline protesters – in pictures October 27, 2016Officials moved in on demonstrators in North Dakota as increasingly tense protests continued over a disputed oil pipeline that tribal leaders have argued threatens the local water supplyLive updates: police arrest protesters as standoff continues Continue reading...Arielle Retting
- Squirrels and swingers: Colorado man defends his passions after police raid October 27, 2016Kendall Seifert says he’s being unfairly targeted after the state raided his unusual business premises, where he runs both a swingers club and a wildlife refugeKendall Seifert’s chief passions in life are squirrels and swingers. Or, to put it another way, wildlife and wild sex.For the last few years he has maintained this unusual combination of interests, pr […]Joanna Walters
- Guards for North Dakota pipeline could be charged for using dogs on activists October 26, 2016Private security guards who deployed guard dogs on protesters were not properly licensed and could face criminal charges, according to an investigationSupport our fearless, independent journalism with a contribution or by becoming a memberPrivate security guards who deployed dogs on protesters at a North Dakota oil pipeline demonstration were not properly li […]Sam Levin in San Francisco
- Dakota Access pipeline company and Donald Trump have close financial ties October 26, 2016Trump’s financial disclosure forms show he invested in Energy Transfer Partners, operators of the controversial pipeline, and its CEO donated to his campaignSupport our fearless, independent journalism with a contribution or by becoming a memberDonald Trump’s close financial ties to Energy Transfer Partners, operators of the controversial Dakota Access oil p […]Oliver Milman in New York
- Divest January 23, 2013Short title: Divest Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- #ANTIFA: #TEDDYBEARS #PICNIC @slatukip @dubdanu @siegfails @misscheeky666 @JLRFBLESS THAN thirty brazen little crybabies escaped the clutches of mummy and daddy to parked their prams in Hyde Park for their annual Teddybears Trump Picnic, whilst policemen in riot gear stood guard for the nasty big bogeymen from the UAF, who had threatened to turn up and spoil the fun of the little Angels and cherubs of the EDL's Hitler Pre-School Di […]
- Ambulance Targeting Was Based On Turkish DisinformationIt was an American-made helicopter abusing the name of a First Nations tribe which penetrated Syrian territory coming from Golan late June, in bright daylight approached a nameless Czech-made ambulance car, and fired a B7EV type air-to-ground missile killing a patient plus other inmates en route to a civilian hospital. One of many, too many casualties in a f […]
- Ex-Royal Military Policeman accused of harassing Sussex Police Commissioner KatySussex Police and Crime Commissioner Katy Bourne is being harassed by an ex- Royal Military Policeman, while Sussex Police stand by allowing it to continue.
- What is Grybauskaite silent about?As early as the beginning of the first presidential term, at the meeting with members of Lithuanian National Security and Defence Committee, Dalia Grybauskaite took up the question of making public materials, stored in the archives and connected with the activities of KGB and other secret services, worked in Lithuania. "Lustration has to be finished by […]
- Abu Sayyaf Release Australian Alternative Therapist for GoodDespite a recent surge of violence on the archipelago, militants in the Philippine Islands this week set free an Australian hostage they had held in captivity for three years. The 38 year old Raph Ader who had been vacationing in a local community aside from the overcrowded beaches was abducted during a speed boat round trip in the area, of which his wife ha […]
- Press release: Environment Agency launches £1m programme of River Thames works October 28, 2016The Environment Agency embarks on its annual winter programme of major repairs and refurbishments to locks along the non-tidal River Thames next week (Tuesday 1 November). In all, 8 lock sites will have a total of £1.2m spent on them – 5 in Oxfordshire and 1 each in Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Surrey. Major works include removing both pairs of lock gates […]
- Press release: Canterbury waste criminals fined £6,320 for illegal wood disposal October 28, 2016An employee of a Faversham based waste management business and a landowner have been made to pay £6,320 for the illegal disposal of waste wood at Woodside House in Canterbury. Ky Campion was fined £2,150 with £750 costs after pleading guilty to depositing waste wood without an environmental permit at Folkestone Magistrates’ Court on 26 October 2016. Mr Campi […]
- Press release: New support gives property owners better protection from flooding October 27, 2016A new, independent report launched today will help people better protect their homes and businesses from risk of flooding and recover more quickly if the worst happens. The Property Flood Resilience Action Plan, chaired by Dr Peter Bonfield, brings together Government and industry and establishes an action plan to ensure property owners are better equipped t […]
- Press release: Averies brothers convicted after notorious major fires October 27, 2016Updated: Added imageCompany Director, Lee Averies has been given three 12 month prison sentences to run concurrently by Swindon Crown Court today (Thursday 27 October 2016). The sentences will be suspended for two years. Lee Averies’ younger brother, David Averies has been ordered to pay over £54,000 in fines and costs. Lee and David Averies appeared at Swin […]
- Press release: Fish find shows mine water scheme is reaping rewards October 27, 2016There’s early indications that a mine water treatment scheme is reaping rewards after lots of fish were found in a once heavily polluted bright orange watercourse in Saltburn-by-the-Sea. During recent Environment Agency monitoring surveys at Saltburn Gill the water was running clear and fish stocks – including juvenile brown trout, bullheads and a juvenile f […]
- RT @ARCrusade: There are too many people counting #calories and not enough people counting #chemicals fb.me/1C2K11UDq 3 days ago
- RT @TorontoPigSave: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed people can change the world." -Margaret Mead #pigtrial #beari… 3 days ago
- RT @mistervegan: Vegan at Burger King?! Really? peta.org/living/food/ve… 3 days ago
- Dawnwatch hanger17.wordpress.com/2016/10/21/daw… 1 week ago
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/rOcJuiQx5JA?a Cross Country in a Gasser 1955 Chevy with a Hemi! - Roadkill Ep. 30 1 week ago
- Message from the underground hanger17.wordpress.com/2016/10/20/mes… 1 week ago
- RT @falke_jonathan4: 10 Best Dogs For Children mecklet.com/s17hcz-childre… 1 week ago
- Update from animal rights hanger17.wordpress.com/2016/10/12/upd… 2 weeks ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- Convective and volcanic clouds detection, monitoring and modeling October 19, 2016 – October 28, 2016 Tarquinia, Italy
- PhD School on Ice Core Techniques (ICAT) 2.5 ECTS October 31, 2016 – November 6, 2016 Copenhagen, Denmark
- Risk Reduction for Resilient Cities November 3, 2016 – November 4, 2016 Bucharest, Romania
- 28th Conference on Severe Local Storms November 7, 2016 – November 11, 2016 Portland, USA
- Science meets parliaments 2016 November 8, 2016 Brussels
No upcoming events