Can you design a phone that’ll be used longer? A refrigerator that discourages food waste? Play the sustainability card game
Originally posted on TED Blog:
Leyla Acaroglu aims to make people think about how the choices they make on a daily basis affect the environment. And she aims to make thinking about this fun. In today’s TED Talk, Acaroglu turns her attention to four bits of “environmental folklore,” like the idea that it’s more environmentally sound to opt for the paper bag over the plastic one. [ted_talkteaser id=1926]By engaging people’s sense of play, Acaroglu and her team at the design consultancy Eco Innovators aim to get individuals and companies looking at the full life cycle of the products in order to make the kind of savvy decisions that can actually effect change.
This week, Eco Innovators held an “E-Waste Autopsy” at the National Gallery of Victoria in Australia, where passerbys dissected keyboards and computer mice…
View original 270 more words
- Prince Charles in plan to help investors take polluting firms to court November 27, 2015Prince Charles is taking part in a project to expose major polluting corporations based in Commonwealth nations to big-money legal action if they fail to accurately disclose their impact on climate change or reform their ways.
- What I want from Paris: 21 climate leaders on COP21 - Part one November 30, 2015EXCLUSIVE: In the first of a two-part feature, edie brings you the voices of sustainability professionals, politicians, businessmen and environmental activists on what they want to see from the Paris climate talks, which kick off today (30 November).
- COP21 Paris Climate Conference: Everything you need to know November 27, 2015The most important climate talks ever start on Monday (30 November), with 138 heads of state and 25,000 official delegates expected to be in attendance. Here's our simple guide to the negotiations over the next two weeks.
- Google pilots new renewables programme November 26, 2015Google has announced that it will be the first customer of Duke Energy's renewable programme, in a move that will see Google's North Carolina data centre receive clean energy from a local 61 MW solar project.
- Coca-Cola and Pepsi unite on the road to Paris November 26, 2015With less than a week to go until COP21, global beverage giants Coca-Cola and PepsiCo have thrown their weight behind a business-led push for global leaders to secure a robust international climate agreement in Paris.
- Could cutting meat from our diets bridge a post-Paris 'emissions gap'? November 26, 2015A dietary change that relieves the demand for animal protein could play an instrumental role in plugging the post-Paris emissions gap, according to a new report from independent policy institute Chatham House.
- Global climate march 2015: hundreds of thousands march around the world – live November 29, 2015Thousands take to streets ahead of Paris climate summitSydney to Seattle, via Hong Kong, Berlin, London and Sao Paulo, march on SundayClimate change protests take place across Australia Keep it in the ground: the Guardian’s climate change campaignInteractive: why we are joining the global climate march 7.58pm GMT Climate activists in the US and Canada haven’ […]Claire Phipps in Sydney, Adam Vaughan in London and Oliver Milman in New York
- Last chance salon in Paris: there is no planet B | Editorial November 29, 2015The world’s hopes for a sustainable future depend on what happens in Paris over the next two weeksThe current front-runner for best slogan for the Paris climate change summit has to be “there is no planet B”; as for images, it is hard to imagine one more potent than the thousands of pairs of shoes laid in tidy lines in the Place de la République that symboli […]Editorial
- What Paris climate negotiators are up against, and what it means for Australia November 29, 2015It won’t ‘solve’ climate change, but the Paris talks may come to be seen as a reset, making real gains possible. And that poses an interesting problem for Malcolm TurnbullIt will be fractious and frustrating and it won’t “solve” the problem. But the Paris climate summit that starts on Monday is likely to be characterised as a success anyway. That’s because n […]Lenore Taylor Political editor Guardian Australia
- Thousands march in London for action on climate change ahead of Paris talks – video November 29, 2015Tens of thousands of environmental campaigners march through central London on Sunday on the eve of the Paris climate change talks. Jeremy Corbyn, Labour leader, praises those who braved the cold to turn out at the march. Organisers said the London event attracted even more people once it had been announced that the Paris demonstration would be cancelled Con […]Guardian Staff
- Global climate march 2015 – in pictures November 29, 2015On the eve of the opening of the UN climate change conference in Paris, campaigners around the world from Melbourne to London are marching to demand action Continue reading...Eric Hilaire
- Emma Thompson on climate change: without the Arctic we will die – video November 29, 2015Actor Emma Thompson discusses why protecting the Arctic is so important for the planet and the human race. Thompson speaks to ITV news reporter Richard Pallot as she takes part in a demonstration outside Shell’s London headquarters on Sunday, ahead of the Paris global climate change talks on MondayThis interview was originally published on ITV News Continue […]Guardian Staff
- Finance January 23, 2013Short title: Finance Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- News story: Rod licence sales to fund even more angling improvement projects November 27, 2015The Environment Agency has released the extra money to be spent between now and the end of March 2016, sufficient to fund up to 50 additional projects. This move, which recognises the huge desire among anglers to develop their local facilities, has been made possible by good rod licence sales. The extra funding will be offered through rounds 3 and 4. Funding […]
- Press release: Suffolk slurry pollution leads to fine November 25, 2015Updated: Photo addedThe Environment Agency told Ipswich Magistrates’ Court yesterday (24 Nov) that the owners of the farm, Great Lodge Farm Ltd, had been negligent. The company from Framlingham was fined £6,000 and ordered to pay £4,474 costs after pleading guilty to breaching environmental permitting regulations. In December 2014 staff from the Environment […]
- Press release: New £6.6 million Albert Dock flood defences completed November 27, 2015An official visit to mark completion of new flood defences at Albert Dock in Hull will take place on Tuesday December 1. Representatives from the Environment Agency, Hull City Council, the Humber Local Enterprise Partnership, Associated British Ports and the local community will inspect the works which include 1.6 kilometres of new flood walls. The scheme wa […]
- Press release: New flood risk reduction scheme proves its worth November 27, 2015A £400,000 scheme to reduce the risk of flooding at Nutclough above Hebden Bridge town centre has been completed – and has already proved its worth. Environment Agency contractors have spent the last seven months constructing a new culvert screen on Ibbot Royd Clough where it passes under Keighley Road. This will significantly reduce the risk of blockages wh […]
- Press release: Fish stocks boost for North East waters November 26, 2015Fisheries experts have given a boost to stocks in North East waters as part of the Environment Agency’s ongoing plans to develop and restore rivers and lakes in the region. Fish including dace, chub, roach, crucian carp, tench, rudd and bream have been stocked into rivers and stillwater fisheries this week. At the River Skerne near Darlington, 4,000 chub, da […]
- RT @Freja_Petersen: Pls sign/RT: We the people demand that Katie Brown get the Maximum penalty for Animal Abuse change.org/p/president-of… htt… 1 day ago
- RT @AnimalRRights: Dog faces third winter chained outside in Iowa; family refused doghouse offer rightrelevance.com/search/article… https://t.co/94SOd… 1 day ago
- RT @Freja_Petersen: Please sign and share Stop Yulin festival now! change.org/p/chinese-gove… https://t.co/S6AOkabhJa 1 day ago
- https://t.co/eaNQ7qHmgA 2 days ago
- facebook.com/groups/5278700… South Lanarkshire against fly tipping. 2 days ago
- 269 Action Scotland hanger17.wordpress.com/2015/11/27/269… 2 days ago
- facebook.com/groups/269Acti… 2 days ago
- facebook.com/groups/5278700… 2 days ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- 5th International Alluvial Fans Meeting November 30, 2015 – December 4, 2015 Christchurch, New Zealand
- ESO Workshop: Solar system as seen by the ELTs November 30, 2015 – December 4, 2015 Garching, Germany
- World Soils Day Event December 2, 2015 London, UK
- 2015 AGU Fall Meeting December 14, 2015 – December 18, 2015 San Francisco, USA
- Tectonic Studies Group 2016 Annual Meeting January 6, 2016 – January 8, 2016 London, UK
- UNFCCC COP 21 November 30, 2015 at 12:00 am – December 11, 2015 at 12:00 am , Paris, France
- Sub-Committee of Experts on the Transport of Dangerous Goods (48th session) November 30, 2015 at 9:00 am – December 9, 2015 at 5:00 pm , Geneva, Switzerland
- COP-21 side event: Low-emissions pathways and the role of oil and gas December 4, 2015 at 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm IETA-WBCSD Business Hub, Paris, France
- Global Landscapes Forum 2015 December 5, 2015 at 9:00 am – December 6, 2015 at 5:00 pm Paris, , France
- International Petroleum Technology Conference (IPTC): Technology and n Partnerships for a Sustainable Energy Future December 6, 2015 at 12:00 am – December 9, 2015 at 12:00 am Qatar National Convention Centre, Doha, Qatar
- 9th International Petroleum Technology Conference (IPTC) December 6, 2015 at 9:00 am – December 9, 2015 at 5:00 pm , Doha, Qatar