Can you design a phone that’ll be used longer? A refrigerator that discourages food waste? Play the sustainability card game
Leyla Acaroglu aims to make people think about how the choices they make on a daily basis affect the environment. And she aims to make thinking about this fun. In today’s TED Talk, Acaroglu turns her attention to four bits of “environmental folklore,” like the idea that it’s more environmentally sound to opt for the paper bag over the plastic one. [ted_talkteaser id=1926]By engaging people’s sense of play, Acaroglu and her team at the design consultancy Eco Innovators aim to get individuals and companies looking at the full life cycle of the products in order to make the kind of savvy decisions that can actually effect change.
This week, Eco Innovators held an “E-Waste Autopsy” at the National Gallery of Victoria in Australia, where passerbys dissected keyboards and computer mice…
View original post 270 more words
- Tesla and Google lead the way in electric vehicle infrastructure push February 9, 2016Global innovators Tesla and Google have announced plans to accelerate the growth of commercial electric vehicles (EVs) by launching new schemes aimed at increasing the infrastructure options available to consumers.
- More than 600 Unilever sites reach zero waste to landfill status February 9, 2016Unilever has today (9 February) revealed that more than 600 of its sites across 70 countries have achieved zero waste to landfill status, after the company identified alternate routes for non-hazardous waste streams in its operations.
- World's largest investor: We want companies with long-term sustainability plan February 8, 2016The chief executive of the world's largest investment firm, Blackrock, has called for companies to build environmental, social and governance (ESG) management into their business models, calling it a sign of 'operational excellence'.
- Ireland's national stadium goes 100% renewable for Six Nations February 5, 2016Aviva stadium, home of the Ireland rugby team will be fully powered by renewable energy for the upcoming 2016 Six Nations tournament, becoming the first stadium in the competition to be so.
- Google and Ministry of Defence testing solar-powered drones February 4, 2016The world's skylines could soon be littered with high-altitude, autonomous, solar-powered drones after it was revealed that tech giant Google and the UK Ministry of Defence have acquired drones in efforts to boost communication methods.
- Easyjet's hybrid 'plane of the future' set for takeoff February 2, 2016The UK's largest airline has unveiled plans to develop a hybrid plane featuring a hydrogen fuel cell which could save around 50,000 tonnes of fuel a year.
- Another whale in trouble off Norfolk coast February 9, 2016Mundesley coastguard receives reports of whale thrashing in shallow waters 300-400 yards off shoreAnother whale may be in trouble in shallow waters off the British coast, rescuers have said.The latest report comes after a bull died at Hunstanton, Norfolk, on Thursday. This was the 30th sperm whale death in the North Sea this year. Continue reading...Press Association
- Satellite Eye on Earth: January 2016 - in pictures February 9, 2016US snowstorms, Tasmanian bushfires and Arabian plankton blooms were among the images captured by European Space Agency and Nasa satellites last monthIn orbit around the Earth on board the International Space Station, Nasa astronaut Scott Kelly captured this blue water image and tweeted it out with this message: “ A splash of #EarthArt over the #Bahamas! #Yea […]Guardian Staff
- Arctic shipping passage 'still decades away' February 9, 2016Ordinary merchant ships will not be able to take an ice-free shortcut from China to Europe until at least 2040, report predictsIt will be decades before big cargo ships link China and northern Europe by taking a shortcut through the Arctic Ocean, a report predicts.Climate change, retreating summer ice and the prospect of shorter journey times and 40% lower f […]John Vidal
- Air pollution raises risk of death 'for decades after exposure' February 9, 2016Longest-running study to date analyses long-term mortality risks of Britons exposed to historic particulate pollutionAir pollution raises the risk of death for many decades after exposure, according to the longest-running study to date.The analysis of 368,000 British people over 38 years also showed that those living in the most polluted places have a 14% hi […]Damian Carrington
- A foretaste of spring for the woodland birds February 9, 2016Burton Mill, West Sussex I make my way through the woodland to the willows and alder that edge the main pondThe morning rain has left the already-soaked footpaths even wetter – my boots sink deep into the mud. But the clouds have cleared and the sun is shining for the last hours of the day. The weak whistles of flocks of long-tailed tits carry through the th […]Rob Yarham
- Crowdfunding battle to stop unspoilt New Zealand beach falling into private hands February 9, 2016More than NZ$1.4m raised so far to protect stretch of coastline in Abel Tasman national park from becoming out of bounds to the public A pristine slice of New Zealand coastline may soon be safe in public hands if “head dreamer” Duane Major gets his wish and crowdfunds the NZ$2m (£900,000) needed to buy it.Just before Christmas a golden stretch of beach in Ab […]Eleanor Ainge Roy in Dunedin
- Finance January 23, 2013Short title: Finance Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- CELEBRAZIONE FORZA DELLA LUCE NATO DALLA TERRARALLEGRATI PIENA DI GRAZIA INDOVINA CHI VIENE | 08.02.2016 15:59-59-59-..-..-..-..
- Tear Down the Walls Tour Liverpoolhttp://www.prisonabolition.org/tear-walls-tour-2/
- #PEGIDA #PUPPIES @slatukip #ANTIFA @JLRFB @bikeyjezmo @dubdanu @misscheeky666EDL members and their self-styled "Infidel" splinters remain oblivious to their emasculation. Whether Tommy "The Tit" Robinson was nobbled in jail, or exchanged a funny handshake with a well-spoken man in an Aston Martin, someone somewhere slipped the "cash whore" a good few quid to lead British nationalism down an evolutionary […]
- SCESAATTO LEGGE ATTO BOLLO DIO
- Mega Squatted Farm in Florence Italy "MONDEGGI COMMON GOOD - FARM WITHOUT MASTERMondeggi-Common-Good-Farm, a popular farmers group which occupied a 500 Acre Farm in June 2014 has recently started a "reallocation program" which basically means handing the land back to the local people in small plots. Hundreds ordinary country folk have signed up to the plan and the RECLAIM process and is well under way. The Farm is located in a […]
- Press release: Company fined for illegal waste offences February 9, 2016The case was brought by the Environment Agency. Armabridge Ltd waste operates 2 businesses from separate sites in Torquay. They include a top soil supply business at Kerswell Garden Centre known as ‘Topsoil Torbay’ and a waste transfer station and skip business at Barton Hill Way trading as ‘Skip-it’. On 6 June 2014 Environment Agency officers found suspicio […]
- Press release: Flood advice for Skipton and Glusburn February 9, 2016Residents and business owners in Skipton and Glusburn will be offered advice over the next few weeks on how to prepare for floods. The Environment Agency is targeting properties in areas at risk of flooding along Eller Beck and Waller Beck in Skipton, as well as Eastburn Beck (Holme Beck) in Glusburn. Over 1,600 properties in Skipton and around 640 in Glusbu […]
- Press release: Weir removal delivers big improvement for local wildlife February 8, 2016Fish passage and habitat along the River Teise in Kent has been boosted thanks to a joint project by the Environment Agency, the South East Rivers Trust and the Kent High Weald Partnership. Harper’s Weir near Goudhurst has been removed in the £30,000 project, which was funded through Defra’s Catchment Partnership Action Fund. The project has been led by the […]
- Press release: People asked to stay safe as strong winds and large waves hit the southern coast February 8, 2016The impacts of Storm Imogen are expected to continue over southern parts of England today and into tomorrow. A combination of severe gale or storm force winds, high tides and heavy showers mean there is an increased coastal flood risk. Today, storm force winds have brought large waves and spray to the south-west and south of England, particularly the Devon a […]
- Press release: Environment Agency's Chief Executive visits Lincolnshire February 8, 2016Sir James Bevan, the Environment Agency’s chief executive, visited the Lincolnshire coast last week (Friday, 5 February) to see the work being done to reduce flood risk along the east coast and across the county. East coast inundation is one of the top risks facing the county, and Sir James took the opportunity to learn more about the Agency’s flood manageme […]
- I saved a @YouTube playlist youtube.com/playlist?list=… Bob Ross - The Joy 1 day ago
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/XTaCoRM-HVo?a Abandoned Old Car Dealership Full Of Classics! 3 days ago
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/M1RTCp3dcIo?a Inside the abandoned buildings under Lake Mead 3 days ago
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/w7qEHd2XGIo?a Jenny Scordamaglia Twinkling Dress Bottom is Showing Clearly Awesome Show 4 days ago
- Ghost Rider 1 - The Final Ride youtu.be/jySqs1XJmLQ 1 week ago
- Check out my motorcycle Scotland events group on Facebook. Its the only place that centralises events in Scotland. 1 week ago
- RT @AnimalRRights: North Carolina Landowners Express Support for Recovery of Endan rightrelevance.com/search/article… via @endangered https://t.co/NmH… 1 week ago
- RT @Animal_Watch: The Spanish bullfighter who took his baby into the ring is facing investigation ind.pn/1OPOVKT @Independent http… 1 week ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
- Oxford's Housing Nightmare March 9, 2016 at 7:30 pm – 9:30 pm St. Clement's Family Centre, Cross Street, Oxford, OX4 1DA
Climate Change Events
- Tectonics, Structural Geology and Geology of Crystalline Rocks (TSK16) March 1, 2016 – March 6, 2016 Bonn, Germany
- New Currents in Science: The Challenges of Quality March 3, 2016 – March 4, 2016 Ispra, Italy
- 76th Annual Meeting of the German Geophysical Society (DGG) March 14, 2016 – March 17, 2016 Muenster, Germany
- 2016 Conference on Big Data from Space March 15, 2016 – March 17, 2016 Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
- NAC+ 2016 March 21, 2016 – March 23, 2016 Edinburgh, UK
- 4th Session of Plenary Intergovernmental platform on biodiversity and n ecosystem services (IPBES) February 22, 2016 at 9:00 am – February 28, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- SPE HSE International Conference April 11, 2016 at 9:00 am – April 13, 2016 at 4:00 pm , Stavanger, Norway
- Global Water Summit 2016 April 19, 2016 at 8:00 am – April 20, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Sustainable Extractives Forum: how to manage risk and navigate uncertainty. April 27, 2016 at 9:30 am – April 28, 2016 at 5:30 pm , London, United Kingdom
- IPIECA-IOGP Health Committee meeting April 28, 2016 at 7:30 am – April 29, 2016 at 11:00 am Statoil USA E&P, Houston, Texas, United States
- IPIECA-IOGP Health Committee Meeting April 28, 2016 at 1:00 pm – April 29, 2016 at 5:00 pm Statoil U.K. Limited, London, United Kingdom