SEA LIFE break their silence on SEA LIES campaign
CAPS received a letter from SEA LIFE’s parent company, Merlin Entertainments, in response to our new SEA LIES campaign, which was launched over the weekend. In the interests of transparency, we have published the letter in full on our website. We were extremely disappointed by the response and felt it important to respond.
You can read our response on our website too.
Amongst other worrying claims and statements, the Merlin spokesperson states in his letter that he “sees no merit” in responding to the detailed concerns raised with regard to the whales that the company continues to exploit. We are sure that you share our disappointment at this statement.
Please read and share both the letter from Merlin and our response widely. Importantly, if you agree that the concerns of CAPS and the thousands of compassionate people that have already signed the petition to free the beluga whales from SEA LIFE’s ongoing exploitation IS an issue which merits a response from Merlin, please ensure that you have signed and shared the petition as widely as possible.
We must keep on speaking out for these whales until SEA LIFE and Merlin end these shows!
- Shell and Gazprom among companies backing 2C limit September 3, 2015More than a third of the world's largest listed companies, including major fossil fuel producers, say they would support an international deal limiting global warming to 2 degrees, according to research by CDP.
- Electric cars could feed power back into grid through wireless 'antennas' September 2, 2015German researchers have unveiled a prototype wireless system that allows a car to receive and discharge power to the grid from coils under a road or parking space.
- Food giant General Mills announces 10-year plan to slash emissions by 28% September 2, 2015US food producer General Mills has announced that it aims to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions by 28% across the entirety of its value chain in the next 10 years.
- India set to save £580m by installing 20 million LED streetlights September 2, 2015India's Ministry of Power has announced it will replace all conventional lightbulbs in streetlights and the domestic sector with LED bulbs by 2017.
- Tumbling renewable energy costs close in on fossil fuels September 1, 2015The cost of generating electricity from renewable resources such as solar and wind has more than halved in the last five years according to the International Energy Association.
- New US regulations could prevent 6,400 tonnes of hazardous waste entering waterways September 1, 2015The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has proposed two new rules banning healthcare facilities from flushing their hazardous waste pharmaceuticals down the drain, to help protect drinking and surface water.
- EU diplomats reveal devastating impact of Ethiopia dam project on remote tribes September 3, 2015Lives of semi-nomadic tribespeople being irreversibly changed by relocation into poorly planned settlements to make way for sugar plantation, says released reportA controversial World Bank-funded scheme to dam a major Ethiopian river and import up to 500,000 people to work in what is planned to be one of the world’s largest sugar plantations has led to tens […]John Vidal
- Scientists reveal there are 3tn trees in the world in latest count September 2, 2015Most accurate count to date is over seven times higher than last estimate – but almost half have been cut down since the start of civilisation, say scientistsScientists have already calculated how many fish there are in the sea (230,000 species), and how many species there are on the planet overall (8.7m). Now they have had a crack at counting all of the wor […]Adam Vaughan
- California passes bill forcing biggest pension funds to divest from coal September 2, 2015Bill targets state public employees’ and teachers’ pension plansGovernor Jerry Brown expected to sign bill into lawCalifornia lawmakers passed a bill on Wednesday requiring the state’s two largest pension plans to divest their holdings in thermal coal as part of a push this legislative session to address climate change. Related: The rise and rise of the foss […]Anita Chabria in Sacramento
- National cycle to work day: how was your commute? September 3, 2015Britain’s national cycle to work day is upon us once again. Whether leafy or urban, we want to hear all about your trip in to the officeKids are heading back to school, and workplaces are full of people with new haircuts and slightly more enthusiastic attitudes. It can only be the start of September, which means it’s the annual cycle to work day. The nationa […]James Walsh
- Fat cat pay at fossil fuel companies drives climate crisis – report September 2, 2015Huge CEO salaries at US firms incentivise expanding carbon reserves but not moves towards clean energy, says thinktankExecutive pay at fossil fuel companies rewards corporate behavior that deepens the climate crisis, and offers no incentive to shift towards renewable energy, a Washington thinktank said on Wednesday.Executives at the 30 biggest publicly held […]Suzanne Goldenberg
- Obama plans to announce climate change strategy on last day in Alaska September 2, 2015Fact sheet outlining initiatives, including community grants and systems to counteract effects of global warming in Arctic, did not address oil drillingOn the final day of his trip to Alaska, President Obama was set to announce a slate of initiatives to help remote Arctic communities beset by the effects of climate change. Related: Barack Obama in Alaska: gl […]Amanda Holpuch in New York
- Finance January 23, 2013Short title: Finance Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- ‘Zionist’ Kiev Flies to the European Far Right for SupportCurrent meltdown in world financial markets, presaging global financial crisis, complete with ongoing conflicts in the Middle East, engineered super large scale movement of population from problem regions, as well as, feasible domestic opposition in Ukraine will necessarily lead to tipping the balance of forces between main political movements in Europe.
- Theresa May better watch out what her officials get up toAre they being nasty in their dealings with the public?
- Left is dead, -again-.Left is dead, -again-. English version of political analysis in Greece, from collective for social anarchism «Black & Red» [Thessaloniki July 2015]
- Handbook for student radicalsNew publication on student organising! Get it here - http://studenthandbook.ourproject.org
- Sweden has refused to disclose information on military crimes of the Ukrainian AIt’s been a well-known fact for quite a while that mercenaries from all round the world were fighting with Ukrainian Army. Nobody is trying to conceal it. As for their involvement in war crimes (tortures, massacre of civilians and shootings of POWs, etc.), it hasn’t been confirmed so far.
- Press release: Does your oil tank leak? September 2, 2015It is also the time of year when the Environment Agency urges people to check their oil tanks to protect the environment and reduce the risk of potentially large financial losses. Leaked oil can end up in drains, many of which lead directly to rivers, streams, lakes and even garden ponds, having the same effect as pouring it directly into the watercourse. Oi […]
- Press release: Survey competition reaps rewards on Tees September 2, 2015Eighty anglers took part in the Environment Agency’s ‘Survey Match’ on Sunday – which saw competitors record the species, numbers and weights of fish caught. This provides valuable data to the Environment Agency and Tees River Trust to help in the management of the river and inform future fisheries projects for the River Tees. Anglers who returned a survey c […]
- Press release: Slough Flood Alleviation Scheme: have your say September 1, 2015The Environment Agency and Slough Borough Council are offering local residents, businesses and community groups the chance to comment on potential options for a proposed flood alleviation scheme in Slough. There are over 2,500 properties at risk of river and surface water flooding in Slough with floods experienced as recently as 2009, 2012 and 2014. The Envi […]
- Press release: Yorkshire anglers caught in fishing licence blitz August 24, 2015Environment Agency fisheries enforcement teams continued their clampdown on illegal fishing over the weekend in Yorkshire. Enforcement officers visited 18 fisheries across the region on Saturday 22 August and Sunday 23 August, checking a total of 235 anglers. Officers reported 49 anglers (21 per cent) for fisheries offences. Patrols focused on a range of ill […]
- Press release: £26 million flood scheme unveiled to protect tourist town August 24, 2015The Morpeth flood scheme, opening today (Monday 24 August), will protect residents by storing millions of gallons of flood water upstream - one of the largest projects of its kind built by the Environment Agency. The Morpeth flood scheme will benefit more than 1,000 homes and businesses in the town and is the largest flood protection project completed in the […]
- RT @Freja_Petersen: Chinese wildlife park 'entertains' visitors by forcing bears to fight dailym.ai/1LDmP6A via @MailOnline http://t.c… 4 days ago
- Over in Dunoon. Weather unusually good. http://t.co/w4CDK0jW6V 2 weeks ago
- My new rat build. http://t.co/FqeFxHYs89 2 weeks ago
- RT @Piekne_Kobiety: good morning bike? http://t.co/Rt6Cu1hjxr 3 weeks ago
- RT @olaciupa: Walencja ☺️🌍 http://t.co/KqShmDvtwV 3 weeks ago
- On the road with my street fighter. http://t.co/4iiaoXrDsp 3 weeks ago
- RT @boycottdenmark: Bojkotu duńskich produktów #BoycottDenmark ze względu na rzeź waleni na Wyspach Owczych! http://t.co/u0UtBx82cA 3 weeks ago
- RT @easy_rideuses: L'important à #moto : Les courbes, les lignes et le regard http://t.co/sJWQBbVzGn 3 weeks ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
- Oxford Tenants Union Meeting September 16, 2015 at 5:30 pm – 8:00 pm OARC, East Oxford Community Centre
Climate Change Events
- 14th International Workshop on Modelling of Mantle and Lithosphere Dynamics August 31, 2015 – September 6, 2015 Olerons, France
- 20th International Conference on deformation mechanisms, rheology and tectonics September 7, 2015 – September 12, 2015 Aachen, Germany
- Emile Argand Conference on Alpine Geological Studies September 13, 2015 – September 20, 2015 Montgenèvre, France
- The interaction of fire and mankind September 14, 2015 – September 16, 2015 London, UK
- Pedometrics 2015 September 14, 2015 – September 19, 2015 Córdoba, Spain
- B4E Climate Summit 2015 September 9, 2015 at 9:00 am – September 10, 2015 at 5:00 pm , London, United Arab Emirates
- Sustainable Procurement & Supply Summit September 22, 2015 at 9:00 am – 5:00 pm , London, United Kingdom
- Reporting Working Group meeting September 29, 2015 at 9:00 am – October 1, 2015 at 1:00 pm Tullow Oil, London, United Kingdom
- Eye on Earth Summit 2015 October 6, 2015 at 8:00 am – October 8, 2015 at 5:00 pm The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- 2015 Annual Meetings of the World Bank Group and the International Monetary n Fund October 9, 2015 at 9:00 am – October 11, 2015 at 5:00 pm , Lima, Peru
- Employee Health and Wellbeing Conference October 11, 2015 at 8:30 am – October 13, 2015 at 5:00 pm , Doha, Qatar