SEA LIFE break their silence on SEA LIES campaign
CAPS received a letter from SEA LIFE’s parent company, Merlin Entertainments, in response to our new SEA LIES campaign, which was launched over the weekend. In the interests of transparency, we have published the letter in full on our website. We were extremely disappointed by the response and felt it important to respond.
You can read our response on our website too.
Amongst other worrying claims and statements, the Merlin spokesperson states in his letter that he “sees no merit” in responding to the detailed concerns raised with regard to the whales that the company continues to exploit. We are sure that you share our disappointment at this statement.
Please read and share both the letter from Merlin and our response widely. Importantly, if you agree that the concerns of CAPS and the thousands of compassionate people that have already signed the petition to free the beluga whales from SEA LIFE’s ongoing exploitation IS an issue which merits a response from Merlin, please ensure that you have signed and shared the petition as widely as possible.
We must keep on speaking out for these whales until SEA LIFE and Merlin end these shows!
- Santander unveils green investment firm May 28, 2015Spanish bank Santander has established a $2bn renewables investment firm in partnership with two of Canada's largest pension funds
- Energy industry calls for new emissions targets to aid low-carbon growth May 27, 2015World governments must sign a clear new agreement on greenhouse gas emissions at a crunch conference in Paris this December, leaders of the world's energy industry have urged.
- World leaders missed chance to tackle climate change, says economist May 26, 2015World leaders missed the perfect opportunity to tackle climate change during the global economic crisis, according to the influential economist and academic Lord Stern.
- Thirty two energy firms account for a third of global emissions May 21, 2015Thirty two of the world's largest energy firms account for around a third of all man-made emissions when the burning of the fuel they produce is taken into account.
- UK ranks 6th in new environmental democracy index May 21, 2015The UK has been ranked sixth in a new index from the World Resources Institute (WRI) which tracks how 70 countries around the world are progressing on 'environmental democracy'
- Renewables industry adds one million jobs in 2014 May 20, 2015More than 7.7m people around the world are now employed by the renewable energy industry - an 18% increase on last year.
- Fort McKay: the Canadian town that sold itself to tar sands May 28, 2015This tiny Alberta town is one of the world’s single biggest sources of carbon pollution. The community grew rich on oil, and was wrecked by oil. So local Cece Fitzpatrick decided to run for chief, promising to stand up to the industry that came there 50 years ago Continue reading...Monica UlmanuLindsay PoultonJohn MullinSuzanne GoldenbergDavid LeveneEkaterina OchagaviaJosh Holder
- Norway fund could trigger wave of large fossil fuel divestments, say experts May 28, 2015Other investors are likely to follow Norwegian fund’s move out of coal-based investments, due to its size as the world’s largest sovereign wealth fundNorway’s decision to dump all coal-focused investments from its $900bn sovereign wealth fund could unleash a wave of divestment from other large funds, according to investment experts. The fund, the largest in […]Damian Carrington
- Brussels moves to limit coal lobby's influence on pollution standards May 28, 2015European commission’s top environment official tightens rules on industry experts’ role, following watering down of pollution limits in face of lobbyingEuropean countries must not allow industry experts in their national delegations to lobby for weaker coal standards, the European commission’s top environment official has said.The move follows revelations by […]Arthur Neslen in Brussels
- Canada must deal with tar sands emissions, says Clinton campaign chief May 28, 2015Canada needs to do more to deal with ‘excessive emissions’ from tar sands ahead of crunch climate talks in Paris later this year, says John PodestaCanada faces a widening rift with America over climate change unless it deals with “excessive emissions” from the Alberta tar sands, according to a trusted adviser to both Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.John Pod […]Suzanne Goldenberg
- David Attenborough calls on ordinary people to help save Africa's elephants May 28, 2015People need to support the conservation charities working to stop the killing of Africa’s last elephants and rhinos by joining them, says naturalistDavid Attenborough has said Africa’s rhinos and elephants face extinction from poaching, possibly within a decade, calling on people to support the conservation charities who stand between those species and obliv […]Karl Mathiesen
- France ready to step in if UN climate talks stall, says top diplomat May 28, 2015Chief French climate diplomat Laurence Tubiana says hosts of Paris climate summit will take lead if countries fail to deliver new text by August, RTCC reportsFrance will produce its own text for a global climate change agreement if countries taking part in UN negotiations fail to cut the current 90-page document down to size.The host of this year’s UN summit […]Ed King for RTCC, part of the Guardian Environment Network
- Finance January 23, 2013Short title: Finance Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- GARY DAVIS UKIP'S WORST EVER HYPOCRITE @slatukip @edlnews @slatfascists @slatedlGary Davis has been exposed as UKIP's worst ever hypocrite. A loather of Muslims and immigration, and a follower of bluehand, he decides to leave Britain and immigrate to a Muslim country - Indonesia, whilst bleating on all day and all night about stopping Muslims from immigrating to the UK.
- 2nd International Antifascist Martial Arts TournamentAiming to coordinate our actions against fascism there will be fights in boxing, kick boxing, mma and other styles as well as seminars about self-defense and street fighting, concerts and updates/discussions about the anti-fascist movement in each place.
- WHAT NOW FOR TOMMY TIT? @edlnews @slatedl @slatfascists @misscheeky666 @slatukipSince leaving the ranks of the EDL where he had arose to notoriety by assuming the identity of a real dead Luton football hooligan, stealing the MIG name for a new brand of crappy pseudo-hooligan gear, Stephen Yaxley Lennon has become an internet-only racist, logging onto facebook and twitter to racially abuse brown people outside of the media glare he crave […]
- Printable version of The AcornA printable (and abridged) version of the latest Acorn info bulletin is available on the Winter Oak website.
- Liz Kendall vs Tower Hamlets - It is Rabina's Canvassers at the doorsIn two weeks time, the embattled Council in Tower Hamlets may have a new occupant in the post of Executive Mayor
- Press release: Rod licence checks in Bank Holiday crackdown in the North East May 28, 2015Officers from the Environment Agency made more than 300 rod licence checks during a bank holiday blitz on anglers fishing illegally in the north east of England. A total of 316 licences were checked at 49 locations from the rivers Tees to the Coquet, with 12 people reported for angling offences. Anglers were reminded that fishing for coarse fish in rivers is […]
- Press release: Casting the net on illegal fishing in Yorkshire May 27, 2015Anglers in Yorkshire are being reminded to ensure they abide by national and local byelaws as enforcement officers crack down on illegal fishing. During the Bank Holiday weekend, from 23 to 25 May, Environment Agency fisheries enforcement officers checked 473 anglers at 29 separate locations across Yorkshire using local knowledge and intelligence to catch of […]
- Press release: Slippery Gowt flood defence work completed May 27, 2015Improvements to a Boston Haven flood defence damaged during the December 2013 tidal surge are now finished, meaning the banks at Slippery Gowt are stronger than ever before. The improved defence will help reduce the risk of flooding to more than 500 homes and businesses including the Haven Business Park. Operations Manager Leigh Edlin said: The repairs and i […]
- Press release: Otter found dead in illegal trap on Selby Canal May 26, 2015An otter has drowned after getting caught up in an illegal crayfish trap by the Selby Canal. The trap was found on an angling platform at a fishing peg on the canal just outside Selby in North Yorkshire. It was discovered by a member of the public who reported the find to the police and the Environment Agency. It is believed that the illegal net was being us […]
- Press release: Boston residents urged to sign up for flood warnings as warn and inform work shortlisted for award May 26, 2015The Agency has been nominated for a national award for its work to warn and inform Boston residents about the tidal surge and improve community resilience to flooding – but it is urging more people to sign up to reduce the impact of flooding on their homes, businesses, personal belongings and families. The 2013 tidal surge prompted people in Boston to take a […]
- Sky was going on this morning about an increase in people eating goat. What nonsense. Corporate propaganda. 4 days ago
- How to Stop Wasting Food – and Start Saving Money hanger17.wordpress.com/2015/05/22/how… 1 week ago
- march against monsanto! hanger17.wordpress.com/2015/05/22/mar… 1 week ago
- MAJOR LAWSUIT TARGETS MONSANTO FOR SELLING CANCER-LINKED HERBICIDE hanger17.wordpress.com/2015/05/22/maj… 1 week ago
- Protesters Block Entrance To Monsanto’s Woodland Facility hanger17.wordpress.com/2015/05/22/pro… 1 week ago
- A List of Ways You Can Fight PETA’s Killing Machine wp.me/pPEwS-2pO 1 week ago
- HARVEY NICHOLS: HERE’S THE REST OF THAT FUR COAT wp.me/pPEwS-2pL 1 week ago
- My Frustration with Animal Rights’ Organizations wp.me/pPEwS-2pK 1 week ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
- Palestine Unlocked A Celebration of Palestinian Life and Culture. June 4, 2015 at 5:00 pm – June 21, 2015 at 4:00 pm Venues throughout Oxford
Climate Change Events
- C-MORE summer course May 26, 2015 – June 27, 2015 Honolulu, USA
- Workshop on Sensitivity Analysis and Data Assimilation in Meteorol ogy and Oceanography June 1, 2015 – June 6, 2015 Roanoke, West Virginia, USA
- 77th EAGE Conference & Exhibition 2015 June 1, 2015 – June 5, 2015 Madrid, Spain
- 2nd International Conference on Earth and Environmental Sciences June 1, 2015 – June 5, 2015 Athens, Greece
- ICOS-NEON Carbon training workshop 2015 June 2, 2015 – June 13, 2015 Observatoire de Haute-Provence, France
- UNFCCC ADP 2-9 June 1, 2015 at 12:00 am – June 11, 2015 at 12:00 am , Bonn, Germany
- Proteus Partnership Annual General Meeting June 9, 2015 at 9:00 am – June 10, 2015 at 5:00 pm , London, United Kingdom
- CSBI meeting June 11, 2015 at 9:00 am – June 12, 2015 at 5:00 pm , London, United Kingdom
- 8th International Conference on Sustainable Water Resources Management June 15, 2015 at 9:00 am – June 17, 2015 at 5:00 pm , A Coruña, Spain
- CCWG meeting 2 - virtual June 16, 2015 at 3:00 pm – June 17, 2015 at 5:00 pm Conference call, , United Kingdom
- Global Compact +15: Business as a Force for Good June 23, 2015 at 8:00 am – June 25, 2015 at 5:00 pm , New York, United States