SEA LIFE break their silence on SEA LIES campaign
CAPS received a letter from SEA LIFE’s parent company, Merlin Entertainments, in response to our new SEA LIES campaign, which was launched over the weekend. In the interests of transparency, we have published the letter in full on our website. We were extremely disappointed by the response and felt it important to respond.
You can read our response on our website too.
Amongst other worrying claims and statements, the Merlin spokesperson states in his letter that he “sees no merit” in responding to the detailed concerns raised with regard to the whales that the company continues to exploit. We are sure that you share our disappointment at this statement.
Please read and share both the letter from Merlin and our response widely. Importantly, if you agree that the concerns of CAPS and the thousands of compassionate people that have already signed the petition to free the beluga whales from SEA LIFE’s ongoing exploitation IS an issue which merits a response from Merlin, please ensure that you have signed and shared the petition as widely as possible.
We must keep on speaking out for these whales until SEA LIFE and Merlin end these shows!
- Green noise: Is sustainability reporting becoming too complex? March 6, 2015The multifaceted landscape of sustainability reporting has become overwhelming for businesses and is leading to a general lack of engagement around CSR communication.
- Heineken partners with UNIDO to tackle water scarcity in developing markets March 2, 2015International brewer Heineken is teaming up with the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO) to accelerate the deployment of water stewardship initiatives in countries and regions classified as 'water-scarce'.
- Google announces $300m investment in rooftop solar February 27, 2015Google's latest renewable energy investment will be providing almost half of a new $750m fund by SolarCity Corp to finance 25,000 residential solar projects, marking the technology giant's largest renewable energy investment to date.
- Asendia ascends towards carbon-neutrality with offsetting scheme February 27, 2015International mail distribution company Asendia has ramped up its sustainability efforts by signing up to a carbon offsetting scheme to help achieve its long-term aim of becoming carbon neutral.
- World leaders urged to tackle food waste to save billions and cut emissions February 26, 2015Governments across the world should make reducing food waste an urgent priority in order to save as much as £194bn annually by 2030, according to a report.
- Plummeting prices provide sustainable investment opportunity in Chinese cotton industry February 26, 2015International brands and retailers are being called upon to take advantage of a 'valuable window of opportunity' to invest and build a more resilient supply chain in the Chinese cotton market.
- Gormley climate change artwork shown for first time in the Guardian March 6, 2015The Antony Gormley artwork, called Connection, accompanies an extract from Naomi Klein’s book on climate change to raise awareness of how mankind is impacting the planet and ‘sleepwalking into a massive human disaster’A work by the artist Antony Gormley has been shown for the first time in the Guardian as the newspaper published an extract on Friday from Nao […]Mark Brown
- Climate change: why the Guardian is putting threat to Earth front and centre March 6, 2015As global warming argument moves on to politics and business, Alan Rusbridger explains the thinking behind our major series on the climate crisisJournalism tends to be a rear-view mirror. We prefer to deal with what has happened, not what lies ahead. We favour what is exceptional and in full view over what is ordinary and hidden.Famously, as a tribe, we are […]Alan Rusbridger
- Wild boars arrive in Istanbul due to loss of habitat March 6, 2015Wild boar sightings increase in Turkey’s largest city as huge construction projects drive the animals from nearby forestsWild boars are returning to Istanbul as giant construction projects shrink their habitat in the city’s northern forests. Last week, a group of boars stormed the garden of a luxury housing complex in Sariyer on Istanbul’s European side, sen […]Zia Weise in Istanbul
- The week in wildlife – in pictures March 6, 2015Ghostly white elephants, a venomous stargazer fish and migratory geese are among the pick of this week’s images from the natural world Continue reading...Eric Hilaire
- Health costs of hormone disrupting chemicals over €150bn a year in Europe, says study March 6, 2015Lower IQ, adult obesity and 5% of autism cases are all linked to exposure to endocrine disruptors found in food containers, plastics, furniture, toys, carpeting and cosmetics, says new expert studyEurope is experiencing an explosion in health costs caused by endocrine-disrupting chemicals (EDCs) that is comparable to the cost of lead and mercury poisoning, a […]Arthur Neslen, Brussels
- Lib Dems pledge to drop plastic bag charge exemptions March 6, 2015Nick Clegg says scrapping overly complicated exemptions to the upcoming 5p charge would remove an extra 3.5bn plastic bags from circulation and save small businesses £300m annuallyLiberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg has said that exemptions to an upcoming charge on plastic bags are overly complicated and should be scrapped to save billions of bags being given […]Karl Mathiesen
- Finance January 23, 2013Short title: Finance Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Ukraine is starving. Facts and no moreThis is real evidence of the social crisis and horrible famine started in Ukraine
- Dining With Vultures: Bristol Anarchists & the UK MediaThe purpose of this piece is to better understanding of mass media's relationship to rebels (including anarchists of all stripes), in general as well as in the context of a repressive atmosphere in Bristol. As well as raising local specifics, it hopes to encourage stronger awareness around wider issues of representation and counter-insurgency.
- Information Commission has stopped monitoring Tower Hamlets CouncilToday’s news that the Information Commission has stopped monitoring Tower Hamlets Council after allegedly improving made by that Council on Information Provision will come as news to many.
- Curo Housing to monitor tenants using remote-controlled worker dronesCuro, the not-for-profit housing & support organisation based in Bath, is becoming one of the first in the country to look at using drones as part of its tenant management tool kit.
- Smash EDO response to supreme court ruling on surveillanceThis morning John Catt lost his case in the supreme court to have his details removed from the 'domestic extremist' database. Smash EDO have issued the following statement in response to the verdict. For more info see Network for Police Monitoring's analysis here: https://netpol.org/2015/03/03/catt-judgment-supreme-court/ and http://www.theg […]
- Press release: Give your views on Black Sluice area flood management March 6, 2015The Black Sluice catchment describes the area of land emptying into the South Forty Foot Drain, which extends from Boston across the South Lincolnshire fens. The Environment Agency manages flood risk within the South Forty Foot Drain and through the Black Sluice pumping station and sluices in Boston, where the water discharges into the Haven. Public events w […]
- Press release: Deputy Prime Minister hails green achievements across England March 6, 2015The Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg is today (Friday 6 March) celebrating a series of green achievements across England as the countdown to charging for plastic bags begins. With supermarkets planning to banish free bags to protect the environment in a matter of months, Nick Clegg heralds the green achievements of the last 4 years. New analysis for each reg […]
- Press release: Sheffield company must pay £38,000 for illegally spreading waste March 5, 2015On 23 February 2015 former company director Timothy Rowley and Tank Industrial Maintenance Limited pleaded guilty at Nottingham Crown Court to eight offences that related to illegal land spreading activities at two farms in Doncaster and Worksop between February 2013 and September 2013. In addition, Tank Industrial Maintenance Limited pleaded guilty to a fur […]
- Press release: Drop in to learn about next phase of work on Whittlesey Washes flood reservoir March 4, 2015Maps, plans, drawings and pictures will be on display from 11am to 7.30pm on Wednesday, 11 March at the Scout headquarters, Thistle Drive, off Wessex Close in Stanground, Peterborough. Members of the project team will be available to answer questions. Whittlesey Washes, also known as the Nene Washes, stores water from the River Nene when it is ‘tide-locked’. […]
- Press release: Enforcement action taken to remove unregistered vessels March 3, 2015Boaters are reminded to renew their registration before 1 April 2015 or risk their vessel being removed from Environment Agency waterways. The Environment Agency has started an annual programme to remove dangerous and unregistered vessels from the Anglian Waterways. One unregistered boat has been removed from the River Wissey in Norfolk and there are plans t […]
- I'm giving away free silver phone with display @ bit.ly/1AOP0sH 4 days ago
- Heavy snow forecast for Dunoon later today and through the night. 4 days ago
- China importing baby elephants wp.me/pPEwS-2ol 1 week ago
- RT @RT_com: #ISIS burns over 100,000 books in Anbar, Iraq, incl rare manuscripts - official on.rt.com/esel5w http://t.co/KWcSnQkBjA 1 week ago
- RT @adelewilliams: @GBBJI Hi Wd you please share this event about food poverty in Nottingham? We'll be collecting for foodbanks too. http:… 1 week ago
- RT @adelewilliams: @StMarysNotts Pls share:1 million foodbank visits in 2014 -make some noise about it! Bring foodbank items if u can http:… 1 week ago
- Global Rally Against the Dog and Cat Meat Trade wp.me/pPEwS-2oj 2 weeks ago
- The consequence of sugar consumption wp.me/pPEwS-2oh 2 weeks ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
- Trade, power and global capitalism March 10, 2015 at 7:30 pm Oxford Town Hall, Long Room
- Fixing the food system: how to feed everyone March 20, 2015 at 7:30 pm Friends Meeting House, St. Giles
Climate Change Events
- Theoretical advances in planetary flows and climate dynamics March 2, 2015 – March 7, 2015 Les Houches, France
- Progress in Quaternary Archive Studies in the Iberian Peninsula March 12, 2015 – March 14, 2015 Sevilla, Spain
- 46th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference March 16, 2015 – March 21, 2015 The Woodlands, TX, USA
- Conference on Sun-Climate Connections March 16, 2015 – March 20, 2015 Kiel, Germany
- Habitability in the Universe: From the Early Earth to Exoplanets March 22, 2015 – March 28, 2015 Porto, Portugal
- 4th World Water-Tech Investment Summit March 9, 2015 at 9:00 am – March 11, 2015 at 5:00 pm GRANGE TOWER BRIDGE, London, United Kingdom
- SPE E&P Health, Safety, Security, and Environmental Conference—Americas March 16, 2015 at 8:30 am – March 18, 2015 at 6:30 pm , Denver, United States
- Annual Plenary meeting on the Voluntary Principles on Security and Human n Rights March 17, 2015 at 8:30 am – March 18, 2015 at 4:00 pm Lancaster House, London, United Kingdom
- Interspill 2015 March 24, 2015 at 8:00 am – March 26, 2015 at 6:00 pm Amsterdam RAI Convention Centre, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Spring Meeting - World Bank Group and International Monetary Fund April 17, 2015 at 8:00 am – April 19, 2015 at 4:00 pm , Washington D.C, United States
- IAIA 15 - Impact Assessment in the Digital Era April 20, 2015 at 8:00 am – April 23, 2015 at 4:00 pm Firenze Fiera Congress & Exhibition Center, Florence, Italy