SEA LIFE break their silence on SEA LIES campaign
CAPS received a letter from SEA LIFE’s parent company, Merlin Entertainments, in response to our new SEA LIES campaign, which was launched over the weekend. In the interests of transparency, we have published the letter in full on our website. We were extremely disappointed by the response and felt it important to respond.
You can read our response on our website too.
Amongst other worrying claims and statements, the Merlin spokesperson states in his letter that he “sees no merit” in responding to the detailed concerns raised with regard to the whales that the company continues to exploit. We are sure that you share our disappointment at this statement.
Please read and share both the letter from Merlin and our response widely. Importantly, if you agree that the concerns of CAPS and the thousands of compassionate people that have already signed the petition to free the beluga whales from SEA LIFE’s ongoing exploitation IS an issue which merits a response from Merlin, please ensure that you have signed and shared the petition as widely as possible.
We must keep on speaking out for these whales until SEA LIFE and Merlin end these shows!
- James Cameron to make Sun Flower design open-source July 6, 2015Film producer James Cameron has announced that his innovative rotating Sun Flower design will be freely available to the public.
- IRENA: Pacific islands should embrace natural renewables resources July 3, 2015Small island nations can secure substantial economic benefits by developing renewable energy sources, according to a series of new reports.
- Sustainable product revenue growing six times faster than alternatives July 3, 2015Revenues from sustainable products or services are growing up to six times faster than 'normal' equivalents, according to new research from the Investor Responsibility Research Center Institute (IRRCi).
- Solar plane glides past world record in 80-hour solo flight July 2, 2015The solar plane Solar Impulse 2 has broken the world records for distance and duration of solar aviation, flying continuously for more than 80 hours and travelling 6000 km across the Pacific.
- China to treble wind capacity in 10 years July 2, 2015China is set to treble its wind power capacity by 2025, but future growth will be limited unless the nation's grid technology is developed.
- Biogen achieves landmark net zero carbon footprint across global business July 1, 2015Biotechnology specialist Biogen has reached carbon neutrality globally, the company announced yesterday (30 June).
- Solar Impulse lands in Hawaii after longest non-stop solo flight in history July 3, 2015Veteran pilot tested to the limit of endurance on record-breaking solar-powered flight across the Pacific, on the eighth leg of round-the-world journeyA solar plane attempting the world’s first flight around the globe has landed in Hawaii, after breaking the record for the longest non-stop solo flight in history.Solar Impulse 2, piloted by the Swiss pilot An […]Emma Howard
- New coal plants 'most urgent' threat to the planet, warns OECD head July 3, 2015Governments urged to rethink plans for new coal-fired power plants as study estimates they will release more than 500bn tonnes of carbon dioxide by 2050Governments must rethink plans for new coal-fired power plants around the world, as these are now the “most urgent” threat to the future of the planet, the head of the OECD has warned. Continue reading...Fiona Harvey
- The week in wildlife – in pictures July 3, 2015Arctic fox, brown bears of Alaska and an albino porcupine feature in this week’s pick of images from the natural world Continue reading...Guardian Staff
- The 'jellyfish invasion' story one newspaper didn't want you to read | Steve Backshall July 3, 2015TV presenter and naturalist Steve Backshall was asked by a British newspaper to write about the ‘invasion’ of jellyfish this summer. But they didn’t like what he had to say, so we’re publishing it here in full instead While the sunshine may be an unpredictable visitor to UK summer shores, there’s one silly season certainty that you can count on. It’s an inva […]Steve Backshall
- Prince Charles: rewire the global economy to stop climate change July 2, 2015Heir to the throne calls for end to ‘business as usual’ approach that does nothing to avert catastrophic global warming – and praises Guardian’s climate campaignPrince Charles has said that “profound changes” to the global economic system are needed in order to avert environmental catastrophe, in an uncompromising speech delivered in front of an audience of […]Damian Carrington
- People power has shut the doors on fracking in the UK July 3, 2015Relentless local protests and a damning report have dealt a double blow to a fledgling fracking industry, but the companies aren’t going to go away Attempts to create a commercially viable fracking industry in the UK were dealt fresh blows this week, with the refusal of planning permission for a key site, and the revelation of an unpublished government repor […]Fiona Harvey
- Finance January 23, 2013Short title: Finance Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Greece for beginnersWhatever the result of their shitty this and that pole the only that has changed is what the bosses want. They now want to ignore the will of the people and enforce their shit on ordinary working class Greeks.
- SPORT ARE DENTISTS - EDL IN SHEFFIELD #antifa @misscheeky666 @edlnews @slatedlThe regurgitated dregs of Britain's far right "foot soldiers" slithered embarrassingly into Sheffield leaving a trail of slime, used beer cans everywhere, misspelt banners of hate and sweat-encrusted t-shirts announcing their unwelcome presence. Wasting their train fares for a mindless piss-up, the flotsam and jetsam of middle-age angst meande […]
- The Sotheby's 4 need YOU!All the courageous cleaners and porters – "the Sotheby's 4"– that took part in the protest on Wednesday demanding sick pay and end to trade union victimisation have been banned from site by Sotheby's auction house (aka sacked). Some of them have been working for Sotheby's for over 5 years.
- Former leader of UK Greenpeace considers anti-GMO campaigning “morally unacceptaThe former leader of UK division of Greenpeace, Stephen Tindale, has recently given an interview, where he condemned anti-GMO activism of this and other green organizations as “morally unacceptable”. He suggested that such agencies put ideology before humanitarian action and fail to recognize the deep changes in GMO industry since the 1990's. Britain is […]
- USA supervises the Ukrainian duel between Poroshenko and YatsenyukWhen head of Security Service of Ukraine Valentyn Nalyvaichenko was fired a few day ago, he said there was a secret list of officials who would also be dismissed from duty. According to Mr. Nalyvaichenko, the first in line is Prime Minister of Ukraine Arseniy Yatsenyuk. Unfortunately, it is next to impossible to verify the existence of the list. Yet, Preside […]
- Press release: Cambridgeshire locks under manual operation this weekend July 3, 2015The lock at St Ives and the Old Papermills lock in St Neots are both awaiting permanent repairs, following mechanical break downs which closed each of them for a short period of time. Low river levels between Godmanchester and Houghton are also causing concerns and boaters are advised to take extra care whilst navigating this stretch of the River Great Ouse. […]
- Press release: Don’t be caught out by flash flooding - be prepared July 3, 2015North Yorkshire County Council and the Environment Agency are urging communities across the county to be aware of the dangers of flash flooding, and to take steps to prepare. Flash flooding tends to happen when heavy rainfall runs off land and quickly swells rivers and streams. It can also occur where drainage systems are overwhelmed by intense rainfall. The […]
- Press release: Clacton beach goers advised to stay off the rocks July 3, 2015In 2011, the RAF had to rescue 3 teenagers from the oncoming tide after 1 of them got her leg caught between rocks on Clacton beach. Dave Knagg, Operations Manager at the Environment Agency said: We want people to enjoy the beach but to observe the signs which are there for a reason. Whilst rock groynes appear to be a fun place to play and find sea life, the […]
- Press release: Third Energy fracking permit consultation extended July 2, 2015The public consultation on Third Energy’s application for a permit to carry out fracking in North Yorkshire has been extended. The Environment Agency’s consultation on the company’s proposals will now be open for public submissions until Friday 7 August. The consultation opened on 10 June after Third Energy UK Gas Ltd applied to the Environment Agency for th […]
- Press release: Environment Agency reveals ‘secret seven’ fish July 2, 2015A 400-million-year-old rare blood-sucking creature once eaten by Vikings and a relic from the Ice Age top the Environment Agency’s ‘secret seven’ list of England’s rarest fish, which it unveiled today. Photographs of all seven species can be downloaded on flickr The seven species are lamprey, Arctic charr, vendace, spined loach, allis shad, twaite shad and s […]
- I'm looking for free Old concrete slabs @ bit.ly/1euNRyj 10 hours ago
- RT @Matt_Dominguez: #WhenIWasAKid a bond w/ animals was developed which drives me today to fight against those who seek to harm them! http:… 5 days ago
- RT @Protect_Wldlife: Please Sign & RT: Stop Live Fish, Turtles & Other Amphibians Being Sold As Keyrings In China! thepetitionsite.com/tell-a-friend/… h… 5 days ago
- RT @peta: For hiking, going out on the town, or a day at the beach. 16 #Vegan Shoes for #Summer: peta.vg/summershoes http://t.co/mUtAvR4… 1 week ago
- RT @TakePart: 3 tiny houses that let you live green + off the grid: bit.ly/1fBGnui http://t.co/NnwVTuJDHe 1 week ago
- RT @wwwfoecouk: Campaigners alarmed over plans to sell stake in Green Investment Bank: theguardian.com/environment/20… http://t.co/9LiKoSNGi6 1 week ago
- I'm going to @theviewtv at The Golf Tavern in Edinburgh, United Kingdom - Jun 27 bandsintown.com/event/10137549… 1 week ago
- I'm going to @DeadKennedys at King Tuts Wah Wah Hut in Glasgow, United Kingdom - Jun 25 bandsintown.com/event/9378138?… 1 week ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- CIDER 2015 Summer Program "Solid Earth Dynamics and Climate - Mant le Interactions with the Hydrosphere & Carbosphere June 28, 2015 – August 1, 2015 Berkeley (CA), USA
- Summerschool: Advanced techniques for quantifying C and Si dynamic s July 6, 2015 – July 11, 2015 Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
- Pathways 2015: Pathways towards habitable planets July 13, 2015 – July 18, 2015 Bern, Switzerland
- 3rd International Summer School on Flow and Transport in Porous an d Fractured Media July 20, 2015 – August 2, 2015 Cargese
- Granulites & granulites 2015 July 26, 2015 – July 30, 2015 Windhoek, Namibia
- SPE Latin America and Caribbean HSE and Sustainability Conference July 7, 2015 at 9:30 am – July 8, 2015 at 5:30 pm , Bogotá, Colombia
- ICCB-ECCB - Mission Biodiversity: Choosing new paths for conservation August 2, 2015 at 9:00 am – August 6, 2015 at 5:00 pm Le Corum- Esplanade Charles De Gaulle, Montpellier, France
- UNFCCC ADP 3 August 31, 2015 at 12:00 am – September 4, 2015 at 12:00 am , Bonn, Germany
- Sustainable Procurement & Supply Summit September 22, 2015 at 9:00 am – 5:00 pm , London, United Kingdom
- Reporting Working Group meeting September 29, 2015 at 9:00 am – October 1, 2015 at 5:00 pm Tullow Oil, London, United Kingdom
- 2015 Annual Meetings of the World Bank Group and the International Monetary n Fund October 9, 2015 at 9:00 am – October 11, 2015 at 5:00 pm , Lima, Peru