SEA LIFE break their silence on SEA LIES campaign
CAPS received a letter from SEA LIFE’s parent company, Merlin Entertainments, in response to our new SEA LIES campaign, which was launched over the weekend. In the interests of transparency, we have published the letter in full on our website. We were extremely disappointed by the response and felt it important to respond.
You can read our response on our website too.
Amongst other worrying claims and statements, the Merlin spokesperson states in his letter that he “sees no merit” in responding to the detailed concerns raised with regard to the whales that the company continues to exploit. We are sure that you share our disappointment at this statement.
Please read and share both the letter from Merlin and our response widely. Importantly, if you agree that the concerns of CAPS and the thousands of compassionate people that have already signed the petition to free the beluga whales from SEA LIFE’s ongoing exploitation IS an issue which merits a response from Merlin, please ensure that you have signed and shared the petition as widely as possible.
We must keep on speaking out for these whales until SEA LIFE and Merlin end these shows!
- Electric cars to become 'hallmark' of VW's portfolio April 29, 2016Automotive giant Volkswagen (VW) has unveiled new transformative outlines for its future projections, which will see the company make electric vehicles (EVs) its new "hallmark", in an attempt to rectify the recent emissions-rigging scandal.
- The low-carbon revolution: Around the world in numbers April 29, 2016With the dust settling on a memorable Earth Day which saw 175 global heads of state from around the world officially sign the Paris Agreement, individual nations have been busy introducing a variety of green policy drivers aimed at curbing climate change.
- 'Radical action' needed to push towards zero-carbon future April 28, 2016The implementation of "radical action" will be necessary to drive the transition to zero-carbon energy systems and to keep global temperature rise below 2°C, according to a newly formed coalition of global commissioners.
- How Jacobs and Dunlop are engineering a green industrial revolution April 29, 2016EXCLUSIVE: With question marks still looming over the Tata Steel crisis, manufacturers large and small are taking steps to ensure that energy-intensive industries aren't left behind in the global movement to a low-carbon future.
- Palm oil giant sets 'fully traceable' supply chain goal for 2020 April 27, 2016The world's second largest palm oil plantation company has told edie it wants to achieve "greater awareness of the production practices in the supply chain" as it sets itself an ambitious goal of 100% traceability to plantation by 2020.
- Biodiesel worse for the environment than fossil fuels, warn green campaigners April 26, 2016Instead of reducing levels of pollution, the use of biodiesel in transport will increase emissions by 4% - the same as putting an extra 12 million cars on the road in 2020 - green campaigners have said.
- How the car industry trumped banking for sociopathic corporate behaviour | Karel Williams April 29, 2016The emissions scandal has revealed the motor industry’s stunning disregard for public health. Who knows how else they’ve been putting our lives on the line?Since the financial crisis of 2008, we have had multiple scandals about banks and bankers behaving badly – from the misselling of payment protection insurance and interest-rate hedges, to the rigging of L […]Karel Williams
- Kenya to burn biggest ever stockpile of ivory April 29, 2016Tusks from over 6,000 illegally killed elephants will be set alight in Nairobi national park to highlight the poaching crisisTusks from more than 6,000 illegally killed elephants will be burned in Kenya on Saturday, the biggest ever destruction of an ivory stockpile and the most striking symbol yet of the plight of one of nature’s last great beasts.The cerem […]Fiona Harvey
- The week in wildlife – in pictures April 29, 2016Flying fish, nesting birds and a new species of lizard are among this week’s pick of images from the natural world Continue reading...Eric Hilaire
- More tigers poached in India so far this year than in 2015 April 29, 2016Conservationists say census figures are ‘worrying’ and cast doubts on the country’s anti-poaching effortsMore tigers have been killed in India already this year than in the whole of 2015, a census showed Friday, raising doubts about the country’s anti-poaching efforts.The Wildlife Protection Society of India, a conservation charity, said 28 of the endangered […]AFP
- Indigenous owners outraged at site earmarked for Australia’s first nuclear waste dump April 29, 2016Traditional owners describe backing for facility on South Australian cattle station beside Indigenous cultural site as ‘cultural genocide’ A South Australian cattle station that is part-owned by the state’s Liberal party director and next to an Indigenous Protected Area has been provisionally selected as the site of Australia’s first nuclear waste dump, outr […]Calla Wahlquist
- How can outdoor learning boost pupil development and wellbeing? Live chat April 29, 2016As exams and fair weather approach, join us on Wednesday 4 May from 5.30pm to 7.30pm for advice and debate about making the most of outdoor educationMost adults will have treasured memories of splashing in muddy puddles and playing games in the local park. But today’s youngsters are leading far more enclosed lives. A recent study found that three-quarters of […]Rebecca Ratcliffe
- Divest January 23, 2013Short title: Divest Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- URGENT #ANTIFA CALL OUT @slatukip @bikeyjezmo @siegfails @misscheeky666 @JLRFBHITLER-loving toerag Jenna Louca is organising a fascist invasion of Burton-on-Trent on Sunday the 8th of May 2016 by the EDL-offshoot she now leads: - the Staffordshire Casual Infidels, primed to chant racist abuse and threaten Asian and black passers-by, as you would expect from such an objectionable gang of hardcore white supremacist thugs. Jenna's n […]
- URGENT #ANTIFA CALL OUT @slatukip @edlnews @bikeyjezmo @misscheeky666 @JLRFBHITLER-loving Jenna Louca toerag is organising a fascist invasion of Burton-on-Trent on Sunday the 8th of May 2016 by the EDL-offshoot she now leads: - the Staffordshire Casual Infidels, primed to chant racist abuse and threaten Asian and black passers-by, as you would expect from such an objectionable gang of hardcore white supremacist thugs. Jenna's n […]
- #ALERTA #ANTIFA: LES SEAVOR @slatukip @misscheeky666 @dubdanu @siegfails @JLRFBYOU cannot get much repulsive than the homophobe from Merseyside, who makes no attempt to hide his location and life from the internet, his home address readily accessible on 192.com and many other websites, handy for when the cops come calling, swinging a pair of handcuffs ready for use. Seavor is a talentless failed pub singer who apparently suffered a clo […]
- #ALERTA #ANTIFA: LES SEAVOR @slatukip @dubdanu @siegfails @misscheeky666 @JLRFBYOU cannot get much totally and utterly repulsive than the homophobe from Merseyside, who makes no attempt to hide his location and life from the internet, his home address readily accessible on 192.com and many other websites, handy for when the cops come calling, swinging a pair of handcuffs ready for use. Seavor is a talentless failed pub singer who appar […]
- #ALERTA #ANTIFA: LES SEAVOR @dubdanu @slatukip @siegfails @misscheeky666 @JLRFBYOU cannot get much viler than the homophobe from Merseyside, who makes no attempt to hide his location and life from the internet, his home address readily accessible on 192.com and many other websites, handy for when the cops come calling, swinging a pair of handcuffs ready for use. Seavor is a talentless failed pub singer who apparently suffered a clout t […]
- Press release: Yorkshire Water fined £1.1million for illegal sewage discharge April 29, 2016Yorkshire Water has been fined £1.1million for illegally discharging sewage that polluted the River Ouse near York. Yorkshire Water Services Ltd was sentenced on Friday 29 April at Leeds Crown Court, after previously admitting three environmental offences relating to the operation of its Naburn treatment works in Fulford. The Environment Agency prosecuted th […]
- Press release: Reducing flood risk in Appleby, Cumbria April 29, 2016The Environment Agency has completed construction work to improve flood defences near the swimming pool in Appleby, and will soon start repairs at Holme Farm Bridge. The Environment Agency has replaced the 23 demountable steel gates which previously ran across the swimming pool car park with a permanent flood defence wall. The gates, which were over 20 years […]
- Press release: Reducing flood risk in Glenridding, Cumbria April 29, 2016Improvements to flood defences are underway this week as the Environment Agency starts work on a new wall to protect residents from flooding in the village of Glenridding in Cumbria. The new flood defence wall, which will be 140 metres in length and a metre above the ground, is designed to provide flood protection to residents and properties along the bank o […]
- Press release: New Charminster Bridge to be opened by MP Oliver Letwin April 29, 2016The village of Charminster will celebrate the official opening of its long-awaited flood alleviation scheme. Cutting the ribbon will be government minister and local MP Oliver Letwin. Charminster has a history of flooding, the worst occurring in 2000 and 2014. The problem was caused by Charminster Bridge that was unable to cope with high flows in the River C […]
- Press release: Dorset river improvements now allow fish to migrate upstream April 29, 2016It is now easier for salmon and sea trout to migrate up some of Dorset’s best known rivers thanks to the efforts of a unique partnership that has been working to boost fish numbers by removing man-made obstacles such as hatches and weirs. Improvements at 10 sites on the Rivers Frome, Piddle, Asker and Brit have made it possible for fish to swim upstream to s […]
- Land laws and tax dodging Scotland hanger17.wordpress.com/2016/03/15/lan… 1 month ago
- RT @AnimalRRights: 'Dog Whisperer' Cesar Millan defends methods amid animal cruelty inquiry rightrelevance.com/search/article… https://t.co/CQvziMjwX6 1 month ago
- World Canals Scotland 2016 hanger17.wordpress.com/2016/03/11/wor… 1 month ago
- RT @LeagueACS: How much do you really know about foxes? Take the #foxycology quiz bit.ly/foxycologyquiz https://t.co/ilNRvbsQEo 1 month ago
- SNPs Sturgeon is raising council taxes in 2017 is not on. SNP will not be getting my vote again. 1 month ago
- @saraashleyo @CNNMoney fur wearing animal abuser 1 month ago
- RT @DmitryLysenko3: What the meat industry wants to hide from you with #Aggag laws Retweet change.org/p/stop-new-mis… https://t.co/0IN2C9iWw3 1 month ago
- RT @AnimalRRights: Global Warming and Climate Change is Threatening Our Life - New Day Post | GarryRogers rightrelevance.com/search/article… https://t… 1 month ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- 8th International Workshop on Sand/Duststorms and Associated Dustfall (DUSTworkshop8) May 1, 2016 – May 4, 2016 Lisbon, Portugal
- Circular economy in the built environment: launch of the BAMB stakeholder network May 3, 2016 Brussels, Belguim
- 2016 Himalayan – Karakorum – Tibet Workshop May 7, 2016 – May 12, 2016 Aussois, France
- ESA Living Planet Symposium May 9, 2016 – May 13, 2016 Prague, Czech Republic
- Seismix 2016 May 15, 2016 – May 20, 2016 Macdonald Aviemore Resort, Aviemore, Scotland
- IFC Water Valuation and Risk in the Financial sector webinar May 12, 2016 at 3:00 pm – 3:00 pm , Online, United Kingdom
- Second session of the United Nations Environment Assembly May 23, 2016 at 12:00 am – May 27, 2016 at 12:00 am UNEP Headquarters, Nairobi, Kenya
- 50th Meeting of the GEF Council June 6, 2016 at 9:00 am – June 9, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Washington DC, United States
- World Water Week 2016 August 27, 2016 at 9:00 am – September 2, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Stockholm, Sweden
- IUCN World Conservation Congress September 1, 2016 at 9:00 am – September 10, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Hawaii, United States
- IWA World Water Congress and Exhibitions (Brisbane) October 9, 2016 at 9:00 am – October 13, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Brisbane, QLD, Australia