SEA LIFE break their silence on SEA LIES campaign
CAPS received a letter from SEA LIFE’s parent company, Merlin Entertainments, in response to our new SEA LIES campaign, which was launched over the weekend. In the interests of transparency, we have published the letter in full on our website. We were extremely disappointed by the response and felt it important to respond.
You can read our response on our website too.
Amongst other worrying claims and statements, the Merlin spokesperson states in his letter that he “sees no merit” in responding to the detailed concerns raised with regard to the whales that the company continues to exploit. We are sure that you share our disappointment at this statement.
Please read and share both the letter from Merlin and our response widely. Importantly, if you agree that the concerns of CAPS and the thousands of compassionate people that have already signed the petition to free the beluga whales from SEA LIFE’s ongoing exploitation IS an issue which merits a response from Merlin, please ensure that you have signed and shared the petition as widely as possible.
We must keep on speaking out for these whales until SEA LIFE and Merlin end these shows!
- Procter & Gamble to eliminate phosphates from dishwasher tablets globally May 27, 2016Consumer goods firm Procter & Gamble has announced a new innovation which will end phosphate use from all retail and professional Fairy dishwasher tablets by 2017, significantly reducing the environmental footprint of its products in addition to improving cleaning performance.
- Trump vows to 'cancel' the Paris Agreement and 'save' the coal industry May 27, 2016Just hours after clinching the necessary number of delegates to become the Republican nominee, Donald Trump unveiled new energy plans that would see the US overhaul "draconian climate rules" in order to stimulate job growth in the oil and gas sector.
- Asparagus turbines and car-eating buses: the best green innovations of the week May 26, 2016In a week which shockingly revealed that humans are damaging the environment faster than it can recover, edie rounds up the latest low-carbon technologies and innovations that could mitigate current impacts put the world on a 2C pathway.
- Investor pressure not enough as big oil baulks on climate change May 26, 2016During a 'do or die' week for three of the largest big oil companies, ExxonMobil, Chevron and Shell continue to rally against growing external pressure to adapt to a low-carbon pathway, warning that the shift would take an "unprecedented amount of effort".
- New Energy Transition scheme launched to accelerate green industrial revolution May 25, 2016The Climate Group has launched a new global initiative to assist highly industrialised, carbon-intensive international governments and regional states in developing and implementing innovative clean energy policies to accelerate the low-carbon transition.
- 10 things you probably didn't know about green energy jobs May 25, 2016With new figures from the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) revealing that employment in the renewables industry rose by 5% over the past 12 months, to pass 8.1 million, edie dissects the data to bring you 10 fascinating facts about clean energy employment.
- Thai authorities seize tigers from Buddhist temple – video May 30, 2016Officials in Thailand take three tigers away from a Buddhist temple during a raid over wildlife trafficking claims. The tigers are tranquilised and taken away on stretchers to be transferred to a state-owned sanctuary. Dozens of tigers remain at the temple in Kanchanaburi province, and tourists are seen taking selfies with the big cats. The temple claims it […]Guardian Staff
- Action against illegal fishing falls after cuts at enforcement agency May 30, 2016Data released to Greenpeace in response to FoI requests show number of prosecutions has dropped significantly in recent yearsFar fewer pirate fishermen are being caught in English and Welsh waters, with prosecutions, warnings and inspections all plummeting in recent years following cuts at the enforcement agency.The reduction in action against illegal fishin […]Damian Carrington
- Worried elephant mother watches rescuers save calf stuck in drain – video May 30, 2016A worried mother elephant looks on as her calf is rescued by wildlife officials in Sri Lanka, after it fell into an open drain. Rescuers in the town of Hambantota fire smoke bullets to keep her from coming too close while they dismantle the drain and pull the calf to safety Continue reading...Guardian Staff
- EDF's Hinkley Point deal over radioactive waste sparks anger May 30, 2016Expert criticises ministers over refusal to disclose agreement with energy supplier for planned nuclear plantA furious row has broken out after the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) refused to disclose the arrangement with EDF for dealing with radioactive waste at the planned Hinkley Point C nuclear plant.The information commissioner’s office ha […]Terry Macalister
- Tigers seized from Thailand temple over wildlife trafficking claim May 30, 2016Officials remove three animals following raid at temple, which has been investigated for animal abuse in recent yearsWildlife authorities in Thailand have raided a Buddhist temple where tigers are kept, taking away three of the animals and vowing to confiscate scores more in response to global pressure over wildlife trafficking. The Buddhist temple in Kancha […]Reuters in Kanchanaburi
- Malaysia just established a one million hectare marine park May 30, 2016The new Tun Mustapha marine park & shark sanctuary in Borneo is the biggest marine protected area in MalaysiaMalaysia has just established the biggest Marine Protected Area (MPA) in the country. The Tun Mustapha Park (TMP) occupies 1m hectares (2.47m acres) of seascape off the northern tip of Sabah province in Borneo, a region containing the second large […]Johnny Langenheim
- Divest January 23, 2013Short title: Divest Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- KATY BOURNE SUSSEX PCC COVERS UP MURDERMURDER WITNESS CLAIMS SHE IS COVERING UP FOR THE KILLERS OF KATRINA TAYLOR 20 YEAR MURDER COVER UP TO BE EXPOSED David Joe Neilson says Katy Bourne pcc has had murder files removed from Sussex Police computers and that there are 3 different murder files 1 Before the murder 2 Murder reported a new set of files 3 Attacks intimidation attempted murder of David […]
- Solidarity with Assange 2000 days arbitrarily detained in EnglandVID (2 mins)-Julian Assange 2000 days arbitrarily detained in England: statement by former anti-war prisoner of U.S Ciaron O'Reilly https://youtu.be/HDB0jKI6st0
- Support organic agriculture in Rojava!Rojava in northern Syria could be facing famine this year due to the ongoing civil war. For years now Rojava has been cut off from much needed imports through an embargo enforced by Turkey.
- URGENT #ANTIFA CALLOUT: #LEEDS @2ferdi7 @millymatty @ant1fane @dubdanu @JLRFBNAZIS TO RETURN THIS AND EVERY SATURDAY TO #BRIGGATE: - THEY MUST BE OPPOSED! In today's interview with BBC News, swastika-tatooed Eva Van Housen is defying calls to stop campaigning for Vote Leave, and will be setting up her stall in Briggate. Leeds City Centre, once again this weekend, accompanied by fellow neo-nazi, former BNP Youth Leader / publicis […]
- #ANTIFA ALERT: #LEEDS #NAZI TAKEOVER @2ferdi7 @millymatty @dubdanu @JLRFB #ukipNAZIS TO RETURN THIS AND EVERY SATURDAY TO #BRIGGATE: - THEY MUST BE OPPOSED! On an interview with BBC News, swastika-tatooed Eva Van Housen is defying calls to stop campaigning for Vote Leave, and will be setting up her stall in Briggate. Leeds City Centre, once again this weekend, accompanied by fellow neo-nazi, former BNP Youth Leader / publicist AIDS fan […]
- Press release: Environment Agency enforcement targets close season offenders May 26, 2016Environment Agency enforcement teams have been busy cracking down on illegal fishing during the first few weeks of the coarse fish close season. Officers carried out more than 380 targeted patrols and found more than 70 people fishing on waters that are off-limits. The close season is in place to help natural fish populations spawn so it is illegal to fish d […]
- Press release: Kent & Leven recovery, 6 months after Desmond unleashed his wrath May 26, 2016It is now almost 6 months (6 months on June 4) since Storm Desmond hit, the emergency repairs to defences have been finished, over 30,000 tonnes of gravel have been moved and investigations are well underway to pinpoint the cause and extent of flooding. The findings will mean we have the evidence needed to ensure that the right work can take place in the rig […]
- Press release: Eden flood recovery, six months after Desmond unleashed his wrath May 26, 2016It is now almost 6 months (6 months on June 4) since Storm Desmond hit, the emergency repairs to defences have been finished, over 30,000 tonnes of gravel have been moved and investigations are well underway to pin point the cause and extent of flooding. The findings will mean we have the evidence needed to ensure that the right work can take place in the ri […]
- News story: Derwent flood recovery 6 months after Desmond unleashed his wrath May 26, 2016It is now almost 6 months (6 months on June 4) since Storm Desmond hit, the emergency repairs to defences have been finished, over 30,000 tonnes of gravel have been moved and investigations are well underway to pin point the cause and extent of flooding. The findings will mean we have the evidence needed to ensure the right work can take place in the right a […]
- Press release: Somerset builder prosecuted for dumping and burning waste near Crewkerne. May 26, 2016A 53-year-old Somerset builder who dumped and burned illegal waste in a field has been given a five-year Criminal Behaviour Order and 150 hours community service. Bernard Molloy, aged 53, of Shepton Beauchamp, admitted at Taunton Crown Court to transporting, depositing and transferring waste to Walditch Lane, Merriot, Somerset. The case was brought by the En […]
- UK bees hanger17.wordpress.com/2016/05/17/uk-… 1 week ago
- RSPCA hanger17.wordpress.com/2016/05/16/rsp… 2 weeks ago
- Animal Welfare Scotland hanger17.wordpress.com/2016/05/16/ani… 2 weeks ago
- New lights fitted along with heated grips. Felt good on the way back from speedway last night. https://t.co/6T0yu3mjqh 2 weeks ago
- RT @WasteManagement: Our landfill-gas-to-energy facilities offsets 2.5 million tons of CO2 emissions per year. #ThinkGreen https://t.co/hUu… 2 weeks ago
- RT @Protect_Wldlife: A Powerful Statement Mr President! "When The Buying Stops The Killing Can Too" @YaoMing https://t.co/rpO6tHnxEX 3 weeks ago
- RT @AnimalRRights: Heartbreaking neglect as dog survived by eating sticks and drinking rain water rightrelevance.com/search/article… https://t.co/C7XN… 3 weeks ago
- RT @Protect_Wldlife: Goodnight animal lovers worldwide & a big THANK YOU to the special souls who care for the orphans through the night. h… 3 weeks ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- 78th EAGE Conference & Exhibition 2016 May 30, 2016 – June 2, 2016 Vienna, Austria
- 7th International Workshop on Paleoseismology, Active Tectonics, and Archeoseismology May 31, 2016 – June 4, 2016 Crestone, CO, USA
- 10th GEO European Projects Workshop 2016 May 31, 2016 – June 2, 2016 Berlin, Germany
- Margins Through Time – GAC-MAC 2016 June 1, 2016 – June 3, 2016 Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
- ASTARTE, PEARL & TANDEM Joint Summer School June 3, 2016 – June 7, 2016 Chania, Crete, Greece
- 50th Meeting of the GEF Council June 6, 2016 at 9:00 am – June 9, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Washington DC, United States
- Premiam - Post Spill Monitoring Conference June 22, 2016 at 12:00 am – 12:00 am SOAS, London, United Kingdom
- World Water Week 2016 August 27, 2016 at 9:00 am – September 2, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Stockholm, Sweden
- IUCN World Conservation Congress September 1, 2016 at 9:00 am – September 10, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Hawaii, United States
- Reporting Working Group meeting and Good Practices Workshop September 27, 2016 at 8:00 am – September 29, 2016 at 2:00 pm ConocoPhillips , Houston, United States
- IWA World Water Congress and Exhibitions (Brisbane) October 9, 2016 at 9:00 am – October 13, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Brisbane, QLD, Australia