SEA LIFE break their silence on SEA LIES campaign
CAPS received a letter from SEA LIFE’s parent company, Merlin Entertainments, in response to our new SEA LIES campaign, which was launched over the weekend. In the interests of transparency, we have published the letter in full on our website. We were extremely disappointed by the response and felt it important to respond.
You can read our response on our website too.
Amongst other worrying claims and statements, the Merlin spokesperson states in his letter that he “sees no merit” in responding to the detailed concerns raised with regard to the whales that the company continues to exploit. We are sure that you share our disappointment at this statement.
Please read and share both the letter from Merlin and our response widely. Importantly, if you agree that the concerns of CAPS and the thousands of compassionate people that have already signed the petition to free the beluga whales from SEA LIFE’s ongoing exploitation IS an issue which merits a response from Merlin, please ensure that you have signed and shared the petition as widely as possible.
We must keep on speaking out for these whales until SEA LIFE and Merlin end these shows!
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Failure of Puma's biodegradable range doesn't mean eco-fashion is dead October 10, 2015Sports giant Puma has pulled the plugs on R&D for its InCycle range but other companies say they are having more success with sustainable fashion After launching with a blaze of celebration, sports brand Puma’s new eco-friendly range of gear was meant to be the moment ethical fashion went mainstream. A shoe, jacket and backpack made of biodegradable and […]Esha Chhabra
- World Bank pledges extra $29bn to poorer nations for climate change fight October 10, 2015Jim Yong Kim, president of the World Bank Group, said it could boost funding by a third in response to client demandThe World Bank has pledged to boost by up to $29bn the financial assistance pledged to poorer nations to cope with climate change, bringing closer the possibility of reaching a target of $100bn a year by 2020. Related: Migration can help to for […]Dan Collyns in Lima
- Briquettes are the hot new thing for your wood-burning stove, so cut out the logs October 10, 2015Hugely popular elsewhere in Europe, briquettes are beginning to take off in the UK – and they’re good for your fireplace or stove, your pocket and the environmentThey burn hotter and cleaner, are cheaper to buy, and much easier to store and handle – so why do so few people with open fires and wood-burning stoves use recycled wood briquettes to heat their hom […]Miles Brignall
- A special badger – with very special protectors October 10, 2015Edale, Derbyshire I could only stand and marvel: at the badger, but also at the dedication of those working on her behalfDespite the whispering, our excitement was palpable. “There’s a white one,” one of the volunteers from the Derbyshire Wildlife Trust said. Not white, as it turned out, although in the half-light of a misty pre-dawn it seemed that way.Stand […]Ed Douglas
- Humpback whales swim beneath northern lights in Norway – video October 9, 2015Norwegian camera operator Harald Albrigtsen captures the moment when humpback whales swim beneath the northern lights. Also known as the aurora borealis, the phenomenon is caused by electrically charged particles from the sun colliding with the Earth’s atmosphere Continue reading...Guardian Staff
- Climate-smart development crystallises on Senegal’s salt flats October 9, 2015The salt industry could provide local people with a climate resilient alternative income to agriculture – but much needs to be improved, reports El PaisIn Senegal’s central Kaffrine region, stretches of the national highway cut through vast salt ponds. Yet the salt industry - which could help local people earn more and cope with worsening climate pressures - […]Kathryn Werntz and Megan Rowling for El Pais, part of the Climate Publishers Network
- Finance January 23, 2013Short title: Finance Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- UG#720 - The Conspiracy Of Silence (VIPaedophile, Blackmail and The Deep State)This week, we tackle a new topic on the show, which some have dubbed "VIPaedophile". We hear the sound tracks of a pair of investigative documentaries on organized child sexual abuse. First, "Spies, Lords and Predators" which looks at what it terms "the biggest political scandal Britain has ever faced". Next, we hear an intervie […]
- Northern Vegan Festival in Manchester city centreNorth of England's largest vegan festival next week
- OCD: A monster in my mindSeriously ill people are just being abandoned to suffer and die. Like all broadcast programs, this edition of Horizon gave people a false impression that this isn’t so.
- WHITE FLOUR GENOCIDE @exposingbf @misslbuttercup @binbagged @IRBFUK #edl #ANTIFAThe end of Aryan civilisation happened last night when Nadiya Hussain from Leeds won the Great British Bake-Off. White nationalist keyboard bakers everywhere went ape shit over a Muslim woman managing to win a televised baking contest. From the EDL to Britain First, NF and National Action, foamed at Nadiya destroying western culinary civilisation with an act […]
- WHITE FLOUR GENOCIDE @exposing_bf @misscheeky666 @slatukip @slatedl #edl #ANTIFAThe end of Aryan civilisation happened last night when Nadiya Hussain from Leeds won the Great British Bake-Off. White nationalist keyboard bakers everywhere went ape shit over a Muslim woman managing to win a televised baking contest. From the EDL to Britain First, NF and National Action, foamed at Nadiya destroying western culinary civilisation with an act […]
- Press release: Work on removable defences begins October 6, 2015A Teesside business has manufactured flood defences which will help protect itself and its local community in Port Clarence. Wilton Engineering has fabricated the defences which will act as a removable section of flood defence along the front of its site. And the first sections of the demountable defences have already been put into place. It’s part of the En […]
- Press release: Run(a)way business operated illegally for more money October 2, 2015V J Commercials Ltd was fined £24,000 for each of 2 offences to run concurrently and ordered to pay £13,000 towards costs. Ohanis John Manoukian, a director of the company, was given a 12 months community order to undertake 180 hours of unpaid work on each of 2 offences to run concurrently, fined £12,000 on each offence to run concurrently and ordered to pay […]
- Press release: Lincolnshire illegal waste carriers targeted by Environment Agency October 2, 2015The Environment Agency, Lincolnshire Police, Immigration Enforcement, and other agencies’ officers stopped and checked vehicles on 30 September, in a bid to identify rogue traders like illegal waste carriers. The operation targeted vehicle drivers who transport waste without the proper authorisation or written description of waste. Environment crime officers […]
- Press release: Two sentenced for illegal waste crimes October 1, 2015Two men have been sentenced after a Gateshead compound was used to illegally store and burn waste. Tony Smith, 22, of Pensher Street East in Felling, Gateshead, and Barry Howourth, 53, of Chaucer Close in Gateshead, appeared at Gateshead Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday, September 30 for sentence. Smith previously pleaded guilty to three offences of operating […]
- News story: Advice on the use of metaldehyde September 30, 2015It is important growers adhere to the current guidelines on metaldehyde use to avoid contaminating watercourses and protect drinking water supplies. Metaldehyde is the pesticide that most often causes risks to drinking water sources, especially in the autumn. Farmers need to operate ‘best practice’ to avoid pollution. If metaldehyde enters watercourses it ca […]
- RT @TheHumaneLeague: Over 9 in 10 eggs produced in the United States come from hens suffering in tiny cages. Eggs? Pass. #WorldEggDay http:… 5 hours ago
- RT @AnimalAbusers: Documentary crew finds major shark fin industry in Sabah despite Putrajaya's ... - TODAYonline dlvr.it/CPRrXn #s… 7 hours ago
- RT @DrHadwenTrust: Help fund cutting-edge cancer research that doesn't harm animals: bit.ly/1zmvjbz http://t.co/4SgGy6ttcz 9 hours ago
- RT @SMarysol321: How #Blackfish Director Gabriela Cowperthwaite Became Sea World's Worst Nightmare laweekly.com/publicspectacl… via @LAWeekly 9 hours ago
- RT @KimbersHeart: Shut down the illegal “Hellhole” dog slaughterhouse in Gwangmyeong, South Korea! - Sign the Petition! https://t.co/dyPp1c… 10 hours ago
- RT @EcoWatch: 14 Elephants Killed With Cyanide in Zimbabwe ow.ly/T8TwA @WWFSouthAfrica @ImageOfWildlife 1 day ago
- http://t.co/D8FHKYwE7X 1 day ago
- RT @fromdolphview: People don't want to watch a chubby guy in a wetsuit ride a whale #Blackfish #CACoastalCommission 1 day ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
No upcoming events
Climate Change Events
- Soil-Plant-Atmosphere Continuum 2015 October 13, 2015 – October 14, 2015 Hertfordshire, UK
- International Symposium on Equatorial Aeronomy (ISEA) - 14 October 19, 2015 – October 23, 2015 Bahir Dar, Ethopia
- Earth Observation for Water Cycle Science October 20, 2015 – October 23, 2015 Frascati, Italy
- Energy Security & Innovation Observing System for the Subsurface (ESIOS) - Town Meeting October 22, 2015 Nottingham, UK
- Workshop Texture Topics October 26, 2015 – October 30, 2015 Basel, Switzerland
- 2015 Annual Meetings of the World Bank Group and the International Monetary n Fund October 9, 2015 at 9:00 am – October 11, 2015 at 5:00 pm , Lima, Peru
- Employee Health and Wellbeing Conference October 11, 2015 at 8:30 am – October 13, 2015 at 5:00 pm , Doha, Qatar
- Pandemics and Epidemics: Prevention, preparedness, response and recovery October 12, 2015 at 9:30 am – October 13, 2015 at 1:30 pm Chatham House, London, United Kingdom
- IPIECA-OGCI Methane Workshop October 12, 2015 at 9:30 am – October 13, 2015 at 3:00 pm Calder Room, NCI Com'Square, Paris, France
- Deep offshore technology international October 13, 2015 at 9:00 am – October 15, 2015 at 5:00 pm , Houston, United States
- Seventh Annual International Forum for Drug & Alcohol Testing October 18, 2015 at 9:00 am – October 20, 2015 at 4:00 pm HYATT REGENCY MISSION BAY SPA AND MARINA, San Diego, United States