SEA LIFE break their silence on SEA LIES campaign
CAPS received a letter from SEA LIFE’s parent company, Merlin Entertainments, in response to our new SEA LIES campaign, which was launched over the weekend. In the interests of transparency, we have published the letter in full on our website. We were extremely disappointed by the response and felt it important to respond.
You can read our response on our website too.
Amongst other worrying claims and statements, the Merlin spokesperson states in his letter that he “sees no merit” in responding to the detailed concerns raised with regard to the whales that the company continues to exploit. We are sure that you share our disappointment at this statement.
Please read and share both the letter from Merlin and our response widely. Importantly, if you agree that the concerns of CAPS and the thousands of compassionate people that have already signed the petition to free the beluga whales from SEA LIFE’s ongoing exploitation IS an issue which merits a response from Merlin, please ensure that you have signed and shared the petition as widely as possible.
We must keep on speaking out for these whales until SEA LIFE and Merlin end these shows!
- Prince Charles in plan to help investors take polluting firms to court November 27, 2015Prince Charles is taking part in a project to expose major polluting corporations based in Commonwealth nations to big-money legal action if they fail to accurately disclose their impact on climate change or reform their ways.
- What I want from Paris: 21 climate leaders on COP21 November 30, 2015EXCLUSIVE: Sustainability leaders from the likes of Kingfisher, M&S and Veolia, alongside politicians, businessmen and environmental activists, tell edie what they want to see from the Paris climate talks.
- COP21 Paris Climate Conference: Everything you need to know November 27, 2015The most important climate talks ever start on Monday (30 November), with 138 heads of state and 25,000 official delegates expected to be in attendance. Here's our simple guide to the negotiations over the next two weeks.
- Google pilots new renewables programme November 26, 2015Google has announced that it will be the first customer of Duke Energy's renewable programme, in a move that will see Google's North Carolina data centre receive clean energy from a local 61 MW solar project.
- Coca-Cola and Pepsi unite on the road to Paris November 26, 2015With less than a week to go until COP21, global beverage giants Coca-Cola and PepsiCo have thrown their weight behind a business-led push for global leaders to secure a robust international climate agreement in Paris.
- Could cutting meat from our diets bridge a post-Paris 'emissions gap'? November 26, 2015A dietary change that relieves the demand for animal protein could play an instrumental role in plugging the post-Paris emissions gap, according to a new report from independent policy institute Chatham House.
- Amazon deforestation report is major setback for Brazil ahead of climate talks November 27, 2015Report showing 16% increase in tree destruction underscores climate threat and is a disappointing result for government efforts to combat deforestationTrees covering an area more than seven times the territory of New York City have been cleared in the Brazilian Amazon over the past year, in a major setback for government efforts to combat deforestation. Rela […]Jonathan Watts in Rio de Janeiro
- My oil firm wants results from COP 21. But not the kind you might expect | Björn Otto Sverdrup November 27, 2015Statoil doesn’t debate climate science, it acts on it. The Paris talks must find radical solutions – and our optimism can be the fuel for changeHumankind’s ability to manage climate change is being tested. The Paris climate talks will conclude two weeks from today. Can we get it right this time?There is no shortage of pessimists. Mark Carney recently spoke o […]Björn Otto Sverdrup
- Paris climate activists put under house arrest using emergency laws November 27, 2015French police arrest activists for flouting ban on organising protests during climate talks next week At least 24 climate activists have been put under house arrest by French police, accused of flouting a ban on organising protests during next week’s Paris climate summit, the Guardian has learned. One legal adviser to the activists said many officers raided […]Arthur Neslen
- La vida alrededor de los pozos de gas de Nuevo México y el nauseabundo aire causado por el fracking November 27, 2015Los escapes de metano y de otros gases tóxicos están contaminando el aire, lo que supone graves riesgos para la salud de las comunidades locales cuyo sustento depende del petróleo y del gas en el Estado del auge del gas de esquistoRead this article in EnglishLos escapes de metano y de otros gases tóxicos están contaminando el aire, lo que supone graves riesg […]Jeffrey Barbee en Aztec, Nuevo México
- Sverige utmanar världen att bli fossilfri November 27, 2015Vi siktar mot att bli ett av världens första fossilfria välfärdsländer som visar att det inte bara är nödvändigt att leva utan fossila bränslen, utan att det också är efterfrågatRead this Opinion piece in EnglishVi siktar mot att bli ett av världens första fossilfria välfärdsländer som visar att det inte bara är nödvändigt att leva utan fossila bränslen, uta […]Åsa Romson
- Bill Gates to launch clean energy project on sidelines of Paris climate talks November 27, 2015Microsoft co-founder will announce multi-billion-dollar Initiative Cleantech on opening day of two-week climate summit alongside Barack ObamaMicrosoft co-founder Bill Gates will launch a multi-billion-dollar clean energy research and development initiative on Monday, the opening day of the United Nations climate change summit in Paris, it was reported on Fri […]Reuters in Washington
- Finance January 23, 2013Short title: Finance Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Don't let Saudi Arabia dangle the west into war with SyriaNo more stupid wars
- Hilla the Hun in her chase of the Genesis PrizeThe most warmongering lady ever lived in the White House has been thirsting for returning back in a new role. In 2008, American voters made it clear that they don’t want Hildebeast as a U.S. President. But it looks like Mrs. Clinton doesn’t bothers with such nonsense as Will of the American People. The former First Lady has been showing such stubbornness pur […]
- Ransomware Viruses – A Growing ThreatRansomware is a computer virus that encrypts system and personal files and asks for payment. Ransomware may propagate in different ways, but commonly as a Trojan by entering a PC through a downloaded file, email or a vulnerability in a network or website.
- Potus Stiffens Foreign Occupation Efforts, Gold Community Not ImpressedIn the past it has been a proven recipe to determine the scope of an international crisis to check the gold trade fever curve, and find shock or trauma successfully thrown back at the one per cent appear as market hiccups. Not so now. The recent terror alarm in Europe, both the concert jihad and the duck-and-cover administration, did not give gold the boost […]
- Overview of the Week of Action against the Prison Industrial ComplexThis is only the beginning. Full account of the week of action here: http://www.cape-campaign.org/
- News story: Rod licence sales to fund even more angling improvement projects November 27, 2015The Environment Agency has released the extra money to be spent between now and the end of March 2016, sufficient to fund up to 50 additional projects. This move, which recognises the huge desire among anglers to develop their local facilities, has been made possible by good rod licence sales. The extra funding will be offered through rounds 3 and 4. Funding […]
- Press release: Suffolk slurry pollution leads to fine November 25, 2015Updated: Photo addedThe Environment Agency told Ipswich Magistrates’ Court yesterday (24 Nov) that the owners of the farm, Great Lodge Farm Ltd, had been negligent. The company from Framlingham was fined £6,000 and ordered to pay £4,474 costs after pleading guilty to breaching environmental permitting regulations. In December 2014 staff from the Environment […]
- Press release: New £6.6 million Albert Dock flood defences completed November 27, 2015An official visit to mark completion of new flood defences at Albert Dock in Hull will take place on Tuesday December 1. Representatives from the Environment Agency, Hull City Council, the Humber Local Enterprise Partnership, Associated British Ports and the local community will inspect the works which include 1.6 kilometres of new flood walls. The scheme wa […]
- Press release: New flood risk reduction scheme proves its worth November 27, 2015A £400,000 scheme to reduce the risk of flooding at Nutclough above Hebden Bridge town centre has been completed – and has already proved its worth. Environment Agency contractors have spent the last seven months constructing a new culvert screen on Ibbot Royd Clough where it passes under Keighley Road. This will significantly reduce the risk of blockages wh […]
- Press release: Fish stocks boost for North East waters November 26, 2015Fisheries experts have given a boost to stocks in North East waters as part of the Environment Agency’s ongoing plans to develop and restore rivers and lakes in the region. Fish including dace, chub, roach, crucian carp, tench, rudd and bream have been stocked into rivers and stillwater fisheries this week. At the River Skerne near Darlington, 4,000 chub, da […]
- RT @Freja_Petersen: Please sign and share Stop Yulin festival now! change.org/p/chinese-gove… https://t.co/S6AOkabhJa 2 hours ago
- https://t.co/eaNQ7qHmgA 7 hours ago
- facebook.com/groups/5278700… South Lanarkshire against fly tipping. 12 hours ago
- 269 Action Scotland hanger17.wordpress.com/2015/11/27/269… 12 hours ago
- facebook.com/groups/269Acti… 12 hours ago
- facebook.com/groups/5278700… 12 hours ago
- This morning. https://t.co/vJUshBRmuy 5 days ago
- £13 in the US but £27 in Scotland. An Islay whisky. Thanks SNP for the taxing. #SNP #malt #whisky https://t.co/bIHT3m8pKh 1 week ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
- Close Campsfield NOW! November 28, 2015 at 12:00 pm Campsfield House Immigration Detention Centre, Langford Lane, Kidlingto...
Climate Change Events
- 5th International Alluvial Fans Meeting November 30, 2015 – December 4, 2015 Christchurch, New Zealand
- ESO Workshop: Solar system as seen by the ELTs November 30, 2015 – December 4, 2015 Garching, Germany
- World Soils Day Event December 2, 2015 London, UK
- 2015 AGU Fall Meeting December 14, 2015 – December 18, 2015 San Francisco, USA
- Tectonic Studies Group 2016 Annual Meeting January 6, 2016 – January 8, 2016 London, UK
- UNFCCC COP 21 November 30, 2015 at 12:00 am – December 11, 2015 at 12:00 am , Paris, France
- Sub-Committee of Experts on the Transport of Dangerous Goods (48th session) November 30, 2015 at 9:00 am – December 9, 2015 at 5:00 pm , Geneva, Switzerland
- COP-21 side event: Low-emissions pathways and the role of oil and gas December 4, 2015 at 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm IETA-WBCSD Business Hub, Paris, France
- Global Landscapes Forum 2015 December 5, 2015 at 9:00 am – December 6, 2015 at 5:00 pm Paris, , France
- International Petroleum Technology Conference (IPTC): Technology and n Partnerships for a Sustainable Energy Future December 6, 2015 at 12:00 am – December 9, 2015 at 12:00 am Qatar National Convention Centre, Doha, Qatar
- 9th International Petroleum Technology Conference (IPTC) December 6, 2015 at 9:00 am – December 9, 2015 at 5:00 pm , Doha, Qatar