SEA LIFE break their silence on SEA LIES campaign
CAPS received a letter from SEA LIFE’s parent company, Merlin Entertainments, in response to our new SEA LIES campaign, which was launched over the weekend. In the interests of transparency, we have published the letter in full on our website. We were extremely disappointed by the response and felt it important to respond.
You can read our response on our website too.
Amongst other worrying claims and statements, the Merlin spokesperson states in his letter that he “sees no merit” in responding to the detailed concerns raised with regard to the whales that the company continues to exploit. We are sure that you share our disappointment at this statement.
Please read and share both the letter from Merlin and our response widely. Importantly, if you agree that the concerns of CAPS and the thousands of compassionate people that have already signed the petition to free the beluga whales from SEA LIFE’s ongoing exploitation IS an issue which merits a response from Merlin, please ensure that you have signed and shared the petition as widely as possible.
We must keep on speaking out for these whales until SEA LIFE and Merlin end these shows!
- Idle investors could face legal action over portfolio climate risks, experts warn February 12, 2016A trio of climate experts have warned that investors and asset managers who continuously ignore the risks of climate change do so at their peril and may soon be faced with legal action.
- US clean power plan setback 'will not affect Paris climate change deal' February 11, 2016The US commitment to cutting carbon emissions under the landmark Paris agreement remains unaffected by the setback delivered to President Obama's climate plans by the country's supreme court, the White House has said.
- Tesla and Google lead the way in electric vehicle infrastructure push February 9, 2016Global innovators Tesla and Google have announced plans to accelerate the growth of commercial electric vehicles (EVs) by launching new schemes aimed at increasing the infrastructure options available to consumers.
- More than 600 Unilever sites reach zero waste to landfill status February 9, 2016Unilever has today (9 February) revealed that more than 600 of its sites across 70 countries have achieved zero waste to landfill status, after the company identified alternate routes for non-hazardous waste streams in its operations.
- World's largest investor: We want companies with long-term sustainability plan February 8, 2016The chief executive of the world's largest investment firm, Blackrock, has called for companies to build environmental, social and governance (ESG) management into their business models, calling it a sign of 'operational excellence'.
- Ireland's national stadium goes 100% renewable for Six Nations February 5, 2016Aviva stadium, home of the Ireland rugby team will be fully powered by renewable energy for the upcoming 2016 Six Nations tournament, becoming the first stadium in the competition to be so.
- Australia's greenest city: Adelaide pulls ahead of Sydney and Melbourne February 12, 2016Across the nation, city councils are tackling climate change at a grassroots level, with green buildings, electric transport and ambitious emissions targetsThe rivalry between Sydney and Melbourne stretches back through history. So too does the tug-of-war between Queensland and, well, just about all the other states. While these contests haven’t always been […]Annie Kane
- Startup's purchase of Queensland coalmine avoids environmental scrutiny February 12, 2016A loophole could mean a company that raised just $750,000 to buy a mine with a $120m clean-up liability does not need to seek a new environmental permitA loophole in Queensland mining laws could allow a startup company to avoid government scrutiny of its suitability to operate a coalmine with a $120m-plus environmental liability after raising less than $750, […]Joshua Robertson
- Prison sentences for Heathrow 13 activists would threaten our right to protest | Letter from John McDonnell, Caroline Lucas and others February 11, 2016Last month, 13 activists were tried in court for carrying out a peaceful protest against the expansion of Heathrow airport (Report, Opinion, 25 January, theguardian.com). They were found guilty of aggravated trespass, and await sentencing on 24 February.We believe it would be unjust for these people to receive prison sentences for their actions. Continue rea […]Letters
- Two-thirds of US students are taught climate change badly, study finds February 11, 2016Just 38% of US schoolchildren were taught that climate change is linked to fossil fuels, with many teachers spending less than an hour a year on the subjectNearly two-thirds of schoolchildren in the US are taught lessons on climate change that do not rise to the level of a sound science education, according to new research on Thursday. The finding provide ne […]Suzanne Goldenberg
- Democrats pitch Keep it in the Ground bill to prohibit new fossil fuel extraction February 11, 2016The bill would ban coal, oil and gas extraction on US public land and is symbolic, as it has no chance of passing a Congress dominated by RepublicansLegislation that would ban coal, oil and gas extraction on US public land has been introduced in Congress in a timely act of Democratic defiance to the legal threat looming over Barack Obama’s plan to slash gree […]Oliver Milman
- Stunning, emotional portraits of horses – in pictures February 11, 2016Photographer Bob Tabor specialises in horses – his minimalist portraits of them are powerful and emotionally resonant. His latest collection is Horse/Human: An Emotional Bond, which is published by Glitterati Incorporated in March Continue reading...Guardian Staff
- Finance January 23, 2013Short title: Finance Our work is challenging Scottish finance to become more sustainable and democratic. Find out more. Background image:
- Dance For The Climate November 11, 2009In August 2009 over 10.000 people danced for the climate on the Ostend Beach in Belgium. By joining this global movement and adding your own dance video to this site, you make your own statement that we have to act now on climate change. read more
- News teaser September 29, 2009Contact the Friends of the Earth Scotland media office: During working hours: 0131 243 2719 Out of hours: 0131 243 2715 Go to the blog Share buttons: No buttons
- Our Successes August 11, 2009Our campaigns get noticed and without us Scotland would not have many of the environmental successes we have today. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Our Purpose August 11, 2009We are the leading organisation in Scotland that is working for environmental justice, campaigning for the planet and its people. Share buttons: No buttons read more
- Pakistan Intl.Airlines Royal high Identity theft am Inn AmsterdamShortly a must do up the Lords A.L.F.'No means no."-Militiapunk, the season after leaving postwar Hamburg by bnth brth the thierporn 'Chopper,'-phenomenun transparent for the US Embassy and the State Embassy of Israel, suposed OrgCrm sexual active brokerage Latinuum ante graecuum deny, Westeuropa will be strooke by her majesty GB never de […]
- 3000 A.C ARI 3000 A.CSENTENZA PENA DI MORTE DA TRIBUNALE DEL POPOLO
- D.I.R.T. the 'Sitte," Q&A of think global, act local squat.net/Butlermuscleイネ激流•〒→Sept.Arc a positiv perspective Crip lmt. the role to prole in Bradforth the Guiolltine. Zet.New York Gangs are real Mr.Shah ain't Mr.Taylor, Charles-Falkland cc.cv.イノ消しロイヲ、いせ！〒イネげにぎろり、倂つ仕入れを湯を沸かし伊瀬。 ーミヘ。根井にせよ、
- The MONDEGGI FREE SCHOOL OF FARMING - Scuola Contadina - is OPEN!The MONDEGGI FREE SCHOOL OF FARMING - (Scuola Contadina) - is OPEN! The Occupants of the Mega Squatted Mondeggi Farm at Bagno Ripoli just a stones throw from Florence. Have started up a a Free School of Farming where lessons, given by qualified teachers ,cost absolutely nothing at all. As in totally FREE !! no strings attached anyone can book in.
- Are you paying too much for online marketing? Hire SEO Professionals at Low CostFor any business in web, SEO assumes a noteworthy part in expanding benefits and get perceived online. SEO helps in getting your business online into top pages of search engines.
- Press release: Almost 2 million fish released into England’s rivers February 11, 2016Record-breaking numbers of coarse fish were released into England’s rivers in 2015, the Environment Agency has revealed. Last year was the best year ever for the Environment Agency’s specialist fish breeding farm in Nottingham. Experts stocked more than 452,220 fish and 1.3 million larvae into rivers all over the country. They were all bred at the Environmen […]
- Press release: Thames Barrier to close for first time this winter February 10, 2016With heavy rain across the south east over the last week, flows on the River Thames have increased. These high flows have coincided with spring tides (when tides are usually at their highest during the tidal cycle) so the Environment Agency will close the Thames Barrier at 11:30am on Wednesday 10 February to reduce the risk of flooding in London and along th […]
- Press release: Land owners in Lancashire are consulted about land drainage. February 10, 2016In September 2015 the Environment Agency notified landowners that they would cease operation of 5 pumping stations: Banks Marsh, Boundary Brook, Clay Brow, Kew and Rufford Causeway in 2 years time. The Environment Agency is working with the National Farmers Union and Country Land and Business Association to help landowners explore alternative arrangements fo […]
- Press release: Company fined for illegal waste offences February 9, 2016The case was brought by the Environment Agency. Armabridge Ltd waste operates 2 businesses from separate sites in Torquay. They include a top soil supply business at Kerswell Garden Centre known as ‘Topsoil Torbay’ and a waste transfer station and skip business at Barton Hill Way trading as ‘Skip-it’. On 6 June 2014 Environment Agency officers found suspicio […]
- Press release: Flood advice for Skipton and Glusburn February 9, 2016Residents and business owners in Skipton and Glusburn will be offered advice over the next few weeks on how to prepare for floods. The Environment Agency is targeting properties in areas at risk of flooding along Eller Beck and Waller Beck in Skipton, as well as Eastburn Beck (Holme Beck) in Glusburn. Over 1,600 properties in Skipton and around 640 in Glusbu […]
- I saved a @YouTube playlist youtube.com/playlist?list=… Bob Ross - The Joy 4 days ago
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/XTaCoRM-HVo?a Abandoned Old Car Dealership Full Of Classics! 6 days ago
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/M1RTCp3dcIo?a Inside the abandoned buildings under Lake Mead 6 days ago
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/w7qEHd2XGIo?a Jenny Scordamaglia Twinkling Dress Bottom is Showing Clearly Awesome Show 6 days ago
- Ghost Rider 1 - The Final Ride youtu.be/jySqs1XJmLQ 1 week ago
- Check out my motorcycle Scotland events group on Facebook. Its the only place that centralises events in Scotland. 1 week ago
- RT @AnimalRRights: North Carolina Landowners Express Support for Recovery of Endan rightrelevance.com/search/article… via @endangered https://t.co/NmH… 2 weeks ago
- RT @Animal_Watch: The Spanish bullfighter who took his baby into the ring is facing investigation ind.pn/1OPOVKT @Independent http… 2 weeks ago
Please answer poll
Site Posts Calendar
Oxford Indymedia Events
- Oxford's Housing Nightmare March 9, 2016 at 7:30 pm – 9:30 pm St. Clement's Family Centre, Cross Street, Oxford, OX4 1DA
Climate Change Events
- Tectonics, Structural Geology and Geology of Crystalline Rocks (TSK16) March 1, 2016 – March 6, 2016 Bonn, Germany
- New Currents in Science: The Challenges of Quality March 3, 2016 – March 4, 2016 Ispra, Italy
- 76th Annual Meeting of the German Geophysical Society (DGG) March 14, 2016 – March 17, 2016 Muenster, Germany
- 2016 Conference on Big Data from Space March 15, 2016 – March 17, 2016 Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
- NAC+ 2016 March 21, 2016 – March 23, 2016 Edinburgh, UK
- 4th Session of Plenary Intergovernmental platform on biodiversity and n ecosystem services (IPBES) February 22, 2016 at 9:00 am – February 28, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- SPE HSE International Conference April 11, 2016 at 9:00 am – April 13, 2016 at 4:00 pm , Stavanger, Norway
- Global Water Summit 2016 April 19, 2016 at 8:00 am – April 20, 2016 at 5:00 pm , Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Sustainable Extractives Forum: how to manage risk and navigate uncertainty. April 27, 2016 at 9:30 am – April 28, 2016 at 5:30 pm , London, United Kingdom
- IPIECA-IOGP Health Committee meeting April 28, 2016 at 7:30 am – April 29, 2016 at 11:00 am Statoil USA E&P, Houston, Texas, United States
- IPIECA-IOGP Health Committee Meeting April 28, 2016 at 1:00 pm – April 29, 2016 at 5:00 pm Statoil U.K. Limited, London, United Kingdom